Experimental Intel SpeedStep kext

mercurysquad

291 posts in this topic

I've installed temperature monitor, and when my processor is at 800mhz, my temperature is around 30°c (for both cores )

To my mind, it's excellent.

When it is at 2.4ghz, both cores are around 36-37-38°c.

Sleep works fine, it's impressive to have speedstep and sleep working at the same time on a hackintosh

Thank you very much for this kext which is very fabulous.

Check if there is any AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext -- if yes, delete it and reboot. Then make sure it's not loaded ( kextstat -l | grep -i IntelCPU )

It's not there :D I shall just soldier away, perseverance will sort it. That's the name of the OSx86 game isn't it LOL

I edited the plist and added 3 pstates based on fsb multipliers (thanks for the help!). I have my fsb clocked at 400mhz so the only viable speeds would be 3200, 2800 and 2400. The kext is loaded and the beta speedstep app works with it. But regardless of whether I use the speedstep app or the terminal, it won't step down.

sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=2400

gets

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 3200 -> 3200

I ended up deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement because disabler wasn't disabling it.

My edited plist looks like this (the 2000 was wishful thinking):

<key>PStateTable</key>

<array>

<array>

<integer>3200</integer>

<integer>1340</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>2800</integer>

<integer>1340</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>2400</integer>

<integer>1196</integer>

</array>

<array>

<integer>2000</integer>

<integer>1196</integer>

</array>

</array>

sysctl machdep.cpu && uname -a: http://www.pastebin.ca/1174985

sysctl -a | grep throttle: http://pastebin.com/m2368aa10

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU		  6600  @ 2.40GHz

I'm assuming that's a C2Q6600. First off this processor has been known to have issues (check just few posts ago). Second, your vendor/model string says it's 2.4 Ghz, how would it run at 2.8 or 3.2 ghz? I suggest you wait for the next version of the kext which will improve half-fsb ratios, to see which P-states you can use, as likely none of the p-states you provided are usable.

Everyone else: PLEASE USE GOOGLE CODE TO REPORT BUGS. I can't keep track of it on this forum anymore.

Yes Vanilla Kernel 9.4.0 – It tried both 0 and 3 in Info.plist, but exactly the same result.

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext is loading fine – but if I try to switch with sysctl command the system freezes immediately - on one try I got the gray kernel panic screen – unfortunately there was nothing written to the system logfiles.

Is it possible to enable a Debug mode to get more Information whats going on – ACPICPUThrottle.kext and/or AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are not loaded by the way …

Hi I am using Vanilla on my Core Duo T2250 . iAtkos v4i (10.5.4)

I have got 4 p-states or what you call it. 800 - 1067 - 1333 - 1733

I used both Speedstep GUI apps the latest final and the improved Beta. Both crash after a while, they just disappear from the status bar

I checked the console and all I found was this:

17.08.08 11:13:15 com.apple.launchd[101] (0x10a8d0.Locum[197]) Exited: Terminated 
17.08.08 11:28:58 login[232] USER_PROCESS: 232 ttys000 
17.08.08 11:28:59 login[232] DEAD_PROCESS: 232 ttys000 
17.08.08 11:29:04 kernel ath_rxbuf_init: no mbuf/cluster 
17.08.08 11:35:03 authexec[263] executing /Applications/SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep 
17.08.08 11:35:03 com.apple.launchd[101] ([0x0-0x27027].com.yourcompany.nsGUI[262]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 263 PPID 1 SpeedStep 
17.08.08 11:36:32 login[273] USER_PROCESS: 273 ttys000

only pasted the suspicious stuff

Yes Vanilla Kernel 9.4.0 – It tried both 0 and 3 in Info.plist, but exactly the same result.

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext is loading fine – but if I try to switch with sysctl command the system freezes immediately - on one try I got the gray kernel panic screen – unfortunately there was nothing written to the system logfiles.

Is it possible to enable a Debug mode to get more Information whats going on – ACPICPUThrottle.kext and/or AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are not loaded by the way …

You use that with ATOM CPU.

I think you dont need really speedstep, because the ATOM CPU consumes very,very less power - even at full speed !

Also you must have speedstep.app to running, which takes some CPU % (0.5-10%!!) too, which may have an negative effekt to cpu buildin powersaving of the ATOM.

Dont worry about if speedstep is (until now) unusable for your ATOM system , because the LCD, HD, RAM, MAINBOARD takes more than 80% of the whole power consumption.

My E4400 takes much much more power, even stepped to slowest MHZ.

Also, even if speedstep is running at slowest speed, it must take not more power than without speedstep - IF less to do for CPU (

I can see that speedstep saves power if the CPU has more to do (best saving as midrange CPU usage).

I think, C2Ds didnt have the buildin powersavings than ATOM but seems to save also power on their own(without speedstep).

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU		  6600  @ 2.40GHz

I'm assuming that's a C2Q6600. First off this processor has been known to have issues (check just few posts ago). Second, your vendor/model string says it's 2.4 Ghz, how would it run at 2.8 or 3.2 ghz? I suggest you wait for the next version of the kext which will improve half-fsb ratios, to see which P-states you can use, as likely none of the p-states you provided are usable.

It's a C2D e6600, not quad. By default it runs at 9x266 (2.4) but I have the fsb overclocked to 400 so it's running at 8x400 (kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 3200).

You use that with ATOM CPU.

I think you dont need really speedstep, because the ATOM CPU consumes very,very less power - even at full speed !

Also you must have speedstep.app to running, which takes some CPU % (0.5-10%!!) too, which may have an negative effekt to cpu buildin powersaving of the ATOM.

Dont worry about if speedstep is (until now) unusable for your ATOM system , because the LCD, HD, RAM, MAINBOARD takes more than 80% of the whole power consumption.

My E4400 takes much much more power, even stepped to slowest MHZ.

Also, even if speedstep is running at slowest speed, it must take not more power than without speedstep - IF less to do for CPU (< 10% usage). On doing nothing (desktop) its no difference between temp 1300 (speedstep custom fixed) and 2330 MHZ (without speedstep). Soft CPU usage maker differences in temp (and power usage)

I can see that speedstep saves power if the CPU has more to do (best saving as midrange CPU usage).

I think, C2Ds didnt have the buildin powersavings than ATOM but seems to save also power on their own(without speedstep).

Oh – that’s a good point – but there is another reason to use it: Asus provides in Windows and Linux a Softwaretool that alows overclocking the CPU - and I would like to switch the speed in manual mode.

Oh – that’s a good point – but there is another reason to use it: Asus provides in Windows and Linux a Softwaretool that alows overclocking the CPU - and I would like to switch the speed in manual mode.

I dont think that the speedstep.kext kann be used for overclocking (only underclocking).

There are only two ways to overlock an CPU: rising FSB and/or the multiplicator (both by bios or special WIN Tools), both cant do (now) that kext, i think.

But wait for answer of autor.

I dont think that the speedstep.kext kann be used for overclocking (only underclocking).

There are only two ways to overlock an CPU: rising FSB and/or the multiplicator (both by bios or special WIN Tools), both cant do (now) that kext, i think.

But wait for answer of autor.

Not true. It's working for me. On my overclocked 3.0 GHz Q6600, it can step up to 3.2 GHz using the kext.

Not true. It's working for me. On my overclocked 3.0 GHz Q6600, it can step up to 3.2 GHz using the kext.

Oh, i didnt know that.

But how does this go ? I tought that there are XY% fixed PSTATES with 100 % of max. Clock, 80% and 60%. (around the values)

And Pstate0 could be set not over 100%.

How do you switch the PSates - by PState entries in the .kext or by sysctl calls ?

Have you rised VID for the 110% Pstate too, or do you use the default VID ?

Thanks.

Just a head up:

If the kext fail to read the PStates from the ACPI, make shure the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (inside IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext) is loading properly. I was trying speedstep with the last JaS release; its so that the IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext is disable by default and the IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext wont be able to read the pstates and you will have to enter them on the plist...

Oh, i didnt know that.

But how does this go ? I tought that there are XY% fixed PSTATES with 100 % of max. Clock, 80% and 60%. (around the values)

And Pstate0 could be set not over 100%.

How do you switch the PSates - by PState entries in the .kext or by sysctl calls ?

Have you rised VID for the 110% Pstate too, or do you use the default VID ?

Thanks.

I am using PState entries in the kext and throttling using speedstep.app. I increased the VID to a value that I have tested earlier to be stable (1.3V for 3.2GHz)

Speedstep.app showed the >100% frequency and temperature monitor showed >70 deg C with cpu cooler fan in full speed. That's way too hot so here is my latest PState arrays with temp <60 deg C.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=858447

I am pleased to report that throttling works fine on my Thinkpad T60P. I have it fully working now...it is like a MacBook Pro, but better with a higher resolution internal screen, and fully working EVERYTHING, right down to the Battery meter. I plan on attempting to integrate the speedstep application with the power management bundle to see what happens. Keep up the good work!!

Just a head up:

If the kext fail to read the PStates from the ACPI, make shure the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (inside IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext) is loading properly. I was trying speedstep with the last JaS release; its so that the IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext is disable by default and the IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext wont be able to read the pstates and you will have to enter them on the plist...

Thanks for the tip. I had that disabled here too, so I tried again with it enabled. My p-states still can't be read though. I guess speedstep is better implemented on notebooks. Guess manual p-states is the only way for me.

sysctl kern.cputhrottle_freqs

second level name cputhrottle_freqs in kern.cputhrottle_freqs is invalid

T5600 here

T5600 here

Look if the kext is loaded !

in terminal:

kextstat

check if you can find the intelspeedstep in the list of kextstat output

Also after kextload command, check if there are some messages.

in terminal type after the kextload

sudo dmesg

You can see perhaps some error messages from intelspeedstep !

Post this here.

I am pleased to report that throttling works fine on my Thinkpad T60P. I have it fully working now...it is like a MacBook Pro, but better with a higher resolution internal screen, and fully working EVERYTHING, right down to the Battery meter. I plan on attempting to integrate the speedstep application with the power management bundle to see what happens. Keep up the good work!!

It also works on my T60p. I'm using the Speedstep.app. It runs MUCH cooler when the CPU is at 1000 (75ºC vs 45ºC)! Lookin' good, thanks a lot!

Hi people!

I can't get it working on core 2 duo t5500 (1.67ghz). I'm using vanilla kernel 9.4 on 10.5.4. That's what I did:

1-Installed IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext with kexthelper

2-

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext

and it says it loaded succesfully!

3-

which gives me

4-Results of

dmesg sudo dmesg | grep IntelEnhancedSpeedStep

. Results on pastebin here

5-Results of

sysctl machdep.cpu && uname -a

6- sysctl -a | grep throttle just give me kern.exec: unknown type returned

Anyone can help please? Withouth speedstep hackintosh has not much sense on my laptop... ;) I don't know whats's wrong, but it worked for DrDeelay and the got exactly same core 2 duo than me (t5500). Moreover he informed me that he didn't modify the kext. In fact, i'm using same IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext than him right now...

Hi people!

I can't get it working on core 2 duo t5500 (1.67ghz). I'm using vanilla kernel 9.4 on 10.5.4. That's what I did:

1-Installed IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext with kexthelper

2-

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext

and it says it loaded succesfully!

3-

which gives me

4-Results of

dmesg sudo dmesg | grep IntelEnhancedSpeedStep

5-Results of

sysctl machdep.cpu && uname -a

6- sysctl -a | grep throttle just give me kern.exec: unknown type returned

Anyone can help please? Withouth speedstep hackintosh has not much sense on my laptop... ;) I don't know whats's wrong, but it worked for DrDeelay and the got exactly same core 2 duo than me (t5500). Moreover he informed me that he didn't modify the kext. In fact, i'm using same IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext than him right now...

You must edit the .plist and add your PSTATES manually. Your BIOS didnt work right for ACPI.

Ask DrDeelay for his PSTATES (XX MHZ, YY mVolt) and edit the .plist. Also remove the ...disabled ending from the keyname.

IT WORKS!!! RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC!!

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz notebook processor. My p-states are: 1000, 1333, 1667, 2000mhz.

Using:

-Leopard 10.5.4 from retail DVD with vanilla kernel 9.4.0

-Only using IntelEnhancedSpeedstep 1.3.2 with the SpeedStep kext from the same download section. No ACPICPUThrottle or CPUThrottle2beta!!! That's the key.

-Using Chameleon EFI with IntelEnhancedSpeedstep in the Extra Extensions folder in the root. My p-states are manually added because the kext pre-loads.

iTunes works perfect withouth any stuttering.

Testing with the NVidia GeForce series 8 high definition demo video, before I would get horrible video stuttering with the vanilla kernel, now it throttles up immediately to 2000Mhz and plays very nearly perfect with just a very slight delay and this is all still with the same vanilla 9.4.0 kernel. After closing the video, the cpu drops back down to 1000Mhz and stays there if there is no other demand. Amazing!!

Oh and shutdown and reboot works!! I haven't tested sleep.

In a word, besides the slight delay in high definition videos, it works fantastic with vanilla kernel. No need for a special SpeedStep kernel.

Huge thanks to the developpers!!

Thanks, but PSTATES and insed the info.plist of intelspeedstep.kext isnt? I'm using same the same one than DrDeelay (which is the default one). Anyway how can I check my PSTATES?

YOu use the same CPU as DrDeelay, but perhaps other BIOS Version and/or complete other Notebook.

Ask him (user message here) for his PSTATES, (he will get it by looking at the sudo dmesg info after kextload).

Also you could google wich PSATES you CPU type has.