Experimental Intel SpeedStep kext

mercurysquad

291 posts in this topic

OMG!!! you rock!

so far no issues on the first song. even swapping windows and running at 800Mhz!!!

it even got rid of the weird static in A2DP mode!

mecurysquad is the man!!

---ok, i had ONE stutter while loading this page, listening to itunes over bluetooth and setting permissions on system.kext

----replacing system.kext was a bad idea. i used the 9.4 system.kext from modbins 9.4 kernel but it caused a kernel panic when the system started up. i am back to 9.2 system.kext but i am sure this will cause usb issues

just wondering, will you be releasing the kernel source as well so others could compile kernels as apple updates them?

Perhaps once it's ready for release. There's not much incentive though, since I didn't see much interest in sending patches for the speedstep kext (sources are here). Releasing kernel sources could very well dilute the scene with 20 more kernels with fragmented features rather than having one main kernel wehere most features go.

----replacing system.kext was a bad idea. i used the 9.4 system.kext from modbins 9.4 kernel but it caused a kernel panic when the system started up. i am back to 9.2 system.kext but i am sure this will cause usb issues

Use a stock System.kext - that's what I am using.

Seems to be no more stuttering for me !!! 9.4 vanilla...

What is N\2 ? Is FSB downclock ?

I've seen in windows with core temp that my clock can be downgraded to 300MHz, perhaps more ! No change multiplier, but change frequency (167MHz to 50MHz...x6) !!!!

Thanks for your great work man !

Now i'm waiting for your kernel ! And auto throttle (or a better GUI with save preferences from the author of speedstep beta)

this is the output I get with the 1.3.1 version:

P-6720s:~ dlow$ sysctl -a | grep throttle
kern.exec: unknown type returned
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 1200
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 988
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1600 2000 
kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 876 988 1148 1292 
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 1554

I see 800 mhz is aviable but when I selected I just get 2000 mhz undervolted to 876 mV.

HP-6720s:~ dlow$ sudo sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=800
Password:
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 1200 -> 2000

HP-6720s:~ dlow$ sysctl -a | grep throttle
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 2000
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 876
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 34827

here is the debug output:

http://pastebin.com/m5424df9

Thanx for your work!

so i know this is not really the topic to ask this but do you know how to fix sleep?

even with your kernel and previously with 9.2 sleep when i try to sleep my screen powers off, wifi turns off and disks spin down but the system stays up (fans still going, bluetooth on) and everything locks up. i was hoping this kernel would fix it but it didnt.

also , on previous installs of leo and tiger sleep DID work but i never got the 10.2 update on those systems or installed the hacked gaphics drivers.

---just did all the latest updates and i am now successfully running 10.5.4

I see 800 mhz is aviable but when I selected I just get 2000 mhz undervolted to 876 mV.

Thanks for the report, this sounds like a bug with _curfreq display. Your CPU should be in 800 mhz but the kext is displaying incorrect value. I'll look into it and possibly get a fix in for 1.4.

Update: Indeed! You spotted a bug. I just uploaded v1.3.2 (check front page) which will fix this issue. Everyone is advised to update so that they get correct _curfreq display.

Thanx for the hotfix! works perfect now!

HP-6720s:~ dlow$ sysctl -a | grep throttle
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 876
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 34827

Thanx a lot! this works much better than coolbook, temperature-wise and performance-wise too. I hope the GUI get updated soon

Thanks for the report, this sounds like a bug with _curfreq display. Your CPU should be in 800 mhz but the kext is displaying incorrect value. I'll look into it and possibly get a fix in for 1.4.

Update: Indeed! You spotted a bug. I just uploaded v1.3.2 (check front page) which will fix this issue. Everyone is advised to update so that they get correct _curfreq display.

Ah, this may explain a few confusions I had here. Thanks so much!

hi

using latest hotfixed version, i have problems initialising kext correctly on bootup.

14.08.08 00:35:37 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN  There was an error while getting PState array from ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually.

i have set manual pstates as with the earlier version.

if i do

sudo kextunload & sudo kextload + restarting speedstep.app its working again.

14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Initializing version 1.3.2 © Prashant Vaibhav <mercurysquad@yahoo.com> 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   FSB = 166 MHz 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 0: 1833 MHz at 940 mV 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 1: 1496 MHz at 940 mV 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 2: 1164 MHz at 940 mV 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 3: 997 MHz at 940 mV 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Loaded 4 PStates from Info.plist 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Probing for Intel processor... 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Supported Intel processor found on your system 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Processor Family 6, Model 15 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Starting 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  On your processor, voltages can be changed in 16 mV steps 
14.08.08 00:36:05 kernel IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   PState table was already created. No autodetection will be performed

i doublechecked permissions but everything seems correct.

Heres what i did

On Downloaded Kext Show Package Contents, edited info.plist to my demands, copied kext into /System/Library/Extensions.

In Terminal i did

sudo -s
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 *
chmod -R 755 *
cd ..
rm Extensions.mkext
reboot

Before the machine turns off theres a message displaying Kext cache rebuild.

i think its the right way to install kexts, since i do it like this for years..

The problem is upon reboot it isnt reading info.plist automatically somehow, i need to manually un-load and load the kext to get it working.

I think best solution would be an extended SpeedStep app loading+controlling+debugging the kext. Is the source for speedstep.app available?

Hi, yes of course OSX caches the kexts in Extensions.mkext! Either delete that file before rebooting, or manually unload/reload driver after changing info.plist, or best way is to boot with -f option.

As mentioned by others above, I had removed extensions.mkext and it still makes no difference. It must be caching info.plist within the kext.

Possibly IOKit is sending the wrong personality to the driver for whatever reason unknown to me. I can't reproduce the issue here so can't fix it.

For those getting kernel panic on 800 Mhz, set KernelFeatures to 0 in Info.plist. This will disable <1Ghz.

You guys should try using pcwiz's OSX86 Tools. They seem to work very well and give you a GUI for installing kexts as well as repairing permissions, clearing the cache, and setting extension permissions in one fell swoop.

Offtopic:

After reading much about it, I downloaded it. The first thing I tried was set the CPU type etc. in About this Mac, which was fine except that it showed Unknown processor.

Now I see this:

picture1om7.th.png

And it refuses to go away. I'm scared of clicking any more buttons on it ;) Anyone know how to fix?

You guys should try using pcwiz's OSX86 Tools. They seem to work very well and give you a GUI for installing kexts as well as repairing permissions, clearing the cache, and setting extension permissions in one fell swoop.

i have this installed along with kexthelper but they both seem rather cumbersome for a single kext install

Offtopic:

After reading much about it, I downloaded it. The first thing I tried was set the CPU type etc. in About this Mac, which was fine except that it showed Unknown processor.

Now I see this:

picture1om7.th.png

And it refuses to go away. I'm scared of clicking any more buttons on it ;) Anyone know how to fix?

that is very odd. it worked perfectly for me except for showing the wrong ram speed

That happened to me too. Perhaps this is an iAtkos problem? Anyway, I just went back in, restored the RAM thing to defaults (since mine was detected correctly anyway) and manually entered the CPU information. It works fine now.

i have this installed along with kexthelper but they both seem rather cumbersome for a single kext install

I agree with you. The command line is much easier for me. Some people on this thread, however, like a nice GUI to do their work and I thought I'd pass it along. Plus, I do find it much easier for clearing the cache and setting the permissions all in one go.

did you do the following:

sudo chown -R root:wheel intelenhancedspeedstep.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 intelenhancedspeedstep.kext

Hi thanks for the reply i mange to load the Kext but when i use GUI to like the CUPthrottle availabe in this threat doesn't seems to be working.

I am new to this . Can someone pinpoint me where can i get tutorial to import and export report during kernal panic or why we need to use Chown and wheel

I am new to this . Can someone pinpoint me where can i get tutorial to import and export report during kernal panic or why we need to use Chown and wheel

chown modifies the username that "owns" the file. When you do "chown root:wheel" you are making it so the root user owns whatever file and that particular file also belongs to the "wheel" group (i.e. users that are allowed to make root level system actions when they elevate their permissions with the sudo command).