IOPCCardBridge Start Failed

JadaZ

63 posts in this topic

I also have this problem [sony Vaio FS15LP]

So I checked the IOPCIFamily.kext version and guess what?

It is v1.8 and I am still having this problem?

So, it may not be the source of the problem either. :weight_lift:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have this problem.

But in a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with an ICH3 @

02:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support (rev 32)

Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0001

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't there any solution for the "iopccardbride::start failed" problem? Please!!

if it is related to the kernal ,then nothing seems going to work.otherwise maybe we can copy some kext from 10.4.1 to the new versions.

I can install new 10.4.5 with vmware, but cant boot it directly, yes, helppppppp

I don't know if this helps - I also see the iopcardbridge:start failed when I boot with -v but it has never prevented me from natively installing and running any version from 10.4.3 to 10.4.6. No serious issues so far, apart from not being able to use any pcmcia card.

cheers

sol

I'm having the same issue with a Compaq Presario 2500, h/w specs match very closely what Darsil reports for his own model and I think he's quite right here, this has nothing to do with the PCCard chip. This notebook has a troublesome ACPI controller and/or BIOS support that's probably the real cause of the problem.

It just happens to hang right after displaying that message.

It's the only notebook I know which can't boot Win98 (it crashes) and this is defiitely related to ACPI. See that topic if you want details:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...threadId=216049

Obviously the work-around for Win98 doesn't apply to OSx86 :)

I just speculate here, but since this notebook was booting 10.4.1 OK if the platform=X86PC kernel option was used (and only in this case for me - comments others?) it really looks to revolve around ACPI.

What happened to the platform=... option in 10.4.6 anyway? it seems to be ignored now.

The basic issue would then be: is there still a way to disable ACPI in 10.4.6?

The newer versions of OS X don't have the "AppleI386PCI" and "AppleI386GenericPlatform" kexts, maybe the kernel is built to use only ACPI for hardware recognition/handling/whatever.

One of the differences I noticed between the platform=ACPI and platform=X86PC modes (using vmware) is that the "Device tree" you see when a boot medium is found is somewhat different.

My interpretation is that the main problem with a bad ACPI implementation would be that the system could be unable to correctly identify some hordware components, resulting in our laptops hanging in search of the HDD (like mine seems to do) or not being able to correctly initialize the famous PCCardBridge.

It would be really nice if we could fix these problems with ACPI, rather than try to hack the kernel to make it run in a way it is (maybe) no more designed to do.

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my laptop it worked fine with both the standby and suspend modes in Windows. Then, one day, standby stopped working: the PC never wakes up completely and the screen remains black, there is no response to keyboard commands etc.

The only solution I haven't tried for this problem is downgrading the BIOS, but if this has something to do with the wrong implementation of ACPI, it could be possible that downgrading the BIOS to earlier versions than the one we're running could help solve the problem and this might also make it possible to natively boot OSx86 if my theory on ACPI is correct. That's the only solution I haven't tried, like I said, because I'm very afraid of doing such a dangerous thing: this once screwed my HDD password system and made me lose all my data since I had to replace the disk. Since I don't want to risk that again without a very good reason I wanted to ask you all one question: has anyone of you had the same problem under Windows or Linux? Suspend to disk is working fine while suspend to RAM (Standby) makes the PC go into a comatose state.

In the end I decided to try and downgrade the BIOS to the oldest I could find on HP support site, but that didn't help.

Anyway I found something very interesting while searching the net: people trying to install FreeBSD on their HP/Compaq laptop are having various issues with the non-standard keyboard and ACPI. It appears that those blue lights above the one-touch buttons (for Pavilion models like mine) are messing around with ACPI in some way and if you want to make FreeBSD boot you have to specify some kernel options like hint.atkbd.0.flags="0xsomenumber" or hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1". This kind of parameters does something on OSx86, too, so I'm going to download FreeBSD to see if I can figure out a way to make it boot, then I will try the same thing on OSx86.

In the end I decided to try and downgrade the BIOS to the oldest I could find on HP support site, but that didn't help.

Anyway I found something very interesting while searching the net: people trying to install FreeBSD on their HP/Compaq laptop are having various issues with the non-standard keyboard and ACPI. It appears that those blue lights above the one-touch buttons (for Pavilion models like mine) are messing around with ACPI in some way and if you want to make FreeBSD boot you have to specify some kernel options like hint.atkbd.0.flags="0xsomenumber" or hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1". This kind of parameters does something on OSx86, too, so I'm going to download FreeBSD to see if I can figure out a way to make it boot, then I will try the same thing on OSx86.

MacOSx86 is based on BSD core...

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting the same problem as everyone else on a presario 2500. I've googled for hours and no idea whats going on. I'm going to try an older image and see if it works.

I have a presario 2500 as well, the only working version is 10.4.1

• 4 months later...

I get this problem too on an HP Pavillion zd7000 when i tried to upgrade to 10.4.8 using Jas 10.4.8 DVD reseed. The funny thing is this laptop works great with 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 problems only started with 10.4.8. Any ideas anyone? :thumbsdown_anim:

old kiko combo update and old jas 10.4.8 combo update now work fine. Problem is related to new kernel and my hardware.

ps No working installs I have achieved so far have had working PC card slot

funny does your Hard Disk keep spinning?

I looked again at my comp... my hard drive LED doesn't stay on when the crash occurs. I updated my 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and now when I run it in VMWARE its crashing all the time, probably a faulty update though, or a low memory issue...

do we know for a fact that 10.4.1 works on laptops effected by this issue?

what about 10.4.1-3?

J.

EDIT: My JaS 10.4.6 DVD (10.4.4 with two updates) crashes with the same error when I try to start up from it. Psionic68, is your laptop able to boot from the install DVD?

I have the same problem with an HP Pavilion ZE5600 (exactly ZE5601EA)

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

I'm trying with 10.4.7 Jas...

I have the same DVD installed in my external USB 40gb disk, but this notebook can't boot from usb! (i tried with other notebook and it boots...)

That's incredible...

funny does your Hard Disk keep spinning?

I looked again at my comp... my hard drive LED doesn't stay on when the crash occurs. I updated my 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 and now when I run it in VMWARE its crashing all the time, probably a faulty update though, or a low memory issue...

do we know for a fact that 10.4.1 works on laptops effected by this issue?

what about 10.4.1-3?

J.

EDIT: My JaS 10.4.6 DVD (10.4.4 with two updates) crashes with the same error when I try to start up from it. Psionic68, is your laptop able to boot from the install DVD?

The hard disk never stops spinning, but its light goes out if thats what you mean. Whenever I try and install or upgrade 10.4.8 the error occurs. Install appears to go fine. Problem occurs after that when its time to boot after the install. Makes no difference whether I boot from the HD or DVD. Have tried different kernel versions. Even tried Semthex walkthru by installing all the delta updates. Perhaps my hardware is not compatible? What confuses me is that 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 work perfectly except for no QE/CI. Perhaps I'm missing something? Oh well I'll just stick with 10.4.7 and keep trying on a spare partition. I really would love this to work. :)

I have the same problem with an HP Pavilion ZE5600 (exactly ZE5601EA)

IOPCCardBridge::start failed

I'm trying with 10.4.7 Jas...

I have the same DVD installed in my external USB 40gb disk, but this notebook can't boot from usb! (i tried with other notebook and it boots...)

That's incredible...

Hi all. News this morning...

I tried to boot Mac OS X 10.4.7, after 10.4.5, after 10.4.3 (from 10.4.1) and 10.4.1.

10.4.7 brought me to think the problem is IOPCCardBridge.

I tried to remove this kext but my installation hangs anyway.

If i boot from the 10.4.3 to "bottom", i see the same error (i think this is not the problem...) IOPCCard, but my installation hangs one step over this, in the "VGA: family specific fails"

I think the problem is ATI RS200M... (in all versions), and not IOPPCard as we thinked

In my case I am unable to even boot from the JaS install DVD, I have sucessfully done so with VMware, but My installation won't run native stylee.

psionic, as I understand it you are able to boot from the JaS Installation DVD? If so, there is still hope for you.

I don't have a solution as yet, but has anyone been having these problems with the Goatsecx install DVD? (10.4.6)

I am going to try my luck with Goatsecx see if I get in on that way. (bad joke)

anyway, my LED of my hard disk switches off after the error, but I am not sure if it keeps spinning because it a very quiet hard disk.

EDIT: Iceman, I think It could be any number of problems, its just that a kernel panic is recieved at the time of loading IOPCardBridge, doesn't mean to say IOPCarBridge (driver or whatever) is the cause of the problem. It may be possible that we are all having very different problems but our computers are not telling us everything. the computers probably crash there, but the cause is not easily identifiable.

J.

All right sorry for not stumbling accross this topic before, here are the explanations and solotions:

- if you cannot boot from your install DVD(s) and neither cannot switch off the PCMCIA slot in BIOS install from within VMWare (VMWare to native - please search in the VMWare section of this forum for the appropr. thread). Best is if you have formatted the HFS volume with the option "journalled" (for best file system stability, also obligatory for MacDrive).

- once you have installed and before booting your Mac OS install move the IOPCardBridge.kext out of your Extensions folder. I provide you know how to this because it is basics - I use MacDrive and MOVE the file somewhere else (not delete because MacDrive is not fully compatible with hackint0shes and (if copying or deleting) most likely will screw up your HFS filesystem in a non-repairable manner [voulme bitmap]).

Also make sure the -v option is set in com.apple.Boot.plist so you see what's going on during boot.

- Boot Mac OS natively and disable more kexts via MacDrive one after each other if needed. Remember, MOVE don't delete !! Also use the latest version of MacDrive (the trial is enough, fully functional for I think 20 days).

- Now you are in the GUI. Here's what you need to know about IOPCardBridge.kext and its dependencies: like mentioned before the kext is dependent on IOPCIFamily.kext. The only version of that XT with which I (and from what I know all others) have been able to get the IOPCardBridge.kext loaded @ boot is v. 1.8 (originating from 10.4.4. If v. 1.6.2 from open Darwin also works is unknown to me).

- IOPCardBridge.kext again is dependent on AppleACPIPlatform.kext, and that one is tricky because it is dependent on the kernel itself. If you still use an old install based on the 10.4.4 kernel you have a good chance to get your PCMCIA slot to work because with the old kernel hacked by Maxxuss you can still use the old AppleACPIPlatform.kext which is part of every install DVD except JaS latest 10.4.8 with the 10.4.8 kernels.

Why no go with the 10.4.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext? The 10.4.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext cannot work with hackint0sh PCMCIA slots because it is one of the kexts where Apple has removed ALL references to ADP2,1, both in the plists as well as in the binary drivers themselves. But ADP (Apple Developer Platform) 2,1 is what Mac OS x86 detects our hardware as ... If we could trick Mac OS x86 to recognize our installs as something different that ADP2,1 that would be great (or find the source of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and re-insert support for ADP2,1).

Anyway, enough theoretics, if you wanna try and get your PCMCIA slot to work (something similar to a TI = Texas Instruments xx12 or xx21) and also have a 10.4.4 kernel system, please go here. You will also find many if not all necessary kexts & other helpful files attached there.

At this point I need to request you not to pester me with PMs. Please take your time and read throug that thread - I know it is many pages but I invested 90% of my weekend a while ago to get this going, incl. binary hacking, which most likely you will not even have to deal with. Apart from having written what I just wrote I can & will not spend any more time with this issue.

Thanks & good luck,

Bugs.

wow, a ray of hope, I definately give this one a thouououghough try!

EDIT: well guys, I now have a booting Mac OS X.4.6 with some disabled kexts.

Specifically IOPCARDBRIDGE, AppleUSBEHCI and AppleUSBOHCI were crashing my computer on boot. moved them out of my extensions folder on the advice of BugsBunny... and I'm now logged into OS X with everything seemingly running ok. except without USB support and PCMCIA... for now.... My Ethernet Card is also not recognised (but I will search the forum for answers)

I could not find IOPCardBridge.kext so I moved IOPCardFamily.kext and that solve the IOPCARD probelm. do not try this on 10.4.8 installations, as bugsbunny already described that there are dependancy issues in 10.4.8 and above.

Thankyou BugsBunny for posting the info on how to work around this problem.

I tried to pull out IOPCCardFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext, AppleUSB*.kext, but nothing changes...

I have installed natively on my second (phisical) partition by VMWare, Mac Os X 10.4.7. in VMWare i can boot, natively not....

I don't know what to do... whatelse kext could stop booting?