IOPCCardBridge Start Failed

JadaZ

63 posts in this topic

Hello i start the installation of Mac OS X 10.4.4/5 and the boot up from the DVD was going fine until it got stuck on on the Apple boot screen. I restarted the computer and went into verbose mode and found out that the installation boot up sequence was stuck on

IOPCCardBridge Start failed

does anyone know how i can fix this so i can install Mac OS X 10.4.5? when i used to have 10.4.1 on here i NEVER got that error. i do not have Mac OS X on my computer as of now .

yes this is a laptop. I do not have ANY pcmcia cards inserted into my laptop ;) and i do not think there are any options to turn pcmcia support off in the BIOS. if anyone can help i whould very much appreciate it

You should post your hardware, perhaps someone with a similar setup will have the answer.

How to ask questions in this forum

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=11517

You might get more answers if you just post your hardware and OSX install.

If you don't know your hardware, try everesthome220.exe, freeware. http://www.google.com/search?q=everesthome220.exe

Press any key or F8 for bootmenu on bootup and type -v (for verbose) and copy down or take a picture of the error messages.

Hi,

Same problem here on a ze4400 HP computer ... seems that something inside is wrong for OSX in this serie. I don't have done yet a dump of the config (CPU, graphic & other chipsets) but I'll do that soon this week.

May be going back to an older version of IOPCCardBridge will help, but won't burn another DVD right away. I'll let you know.

This is probably the detailed spec:

Disable as many non essential items in the BIOS as you can, including sound, USB, Firewire and then install.

http://mikeycal.com/HP_ze5500.html

Technical Specs
# HP Pavilion Model ze5500 (sold and cased with this model name)
# ACTUAL BIOS MODEL NAME: Pavilion ze8500
# Phoenix Bios
# 2.3Ghz Intel Pentium 4-M processor
# 256 Mb Ram DDR 2700 (Upgraded to 512M)
# 30Gb Hard disk 4200 rpm
# CD-RW / DVD ROM
# 3 USB 2.0 ports (one on right side two in back right): VIA Technologies (UHCI & EHCI)
# 1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
# 10/100 Ethernet: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter)
# (I opted not to get the wireless card) I now use a Belkin F5d6020 wireless B PCMCIA card
# SXGA 15in screen with 1400x1050 Max Resolution
# Graphics card ATI Mobility [IGP 345M] (It is recognized as a 340M in linux)
# 56K ALi Corp. Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link modem]
# Sound chip is an ALI 5451
# External RGB Monitor output
# S-video output
# ps/2 port
# mic input
# headphone output
# PCMCIA port (Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC cardbus Controller Rev. 02)
# altec lansing builtin stereo speakers

I have a HP Pavilion ZE4100 and I have the same IOPCCardBridge problem with 10.4.5. I had no issues running 10.4.1 though.

I found someone on the forum saying that replacing the IOPCIFamily.kext with the version from 10.4.4 can solve the problem but I have been unable to find it. If anyone can post the kext it will be helpful. I tried replacing the kext with the version from 10.4.3 but it doesnt work.

Edit: However I can boot up in VMWare and everything works fine but it is extremely slow.

I started to work on this issue on the now-closed win2osx forum, and after a long testing process we came to the conclusion that the IOPCCardBridge problem is NOT the one causing our laptops not to boot. It is probably a problem with the hard disk controller, at least for me with my pavilion ze5507ea, since after displaying that IOPCCardBridge line my systems just sits there with its HDD LED constantly on and it does exactly the same if you delete the IOPCCard kext (don't remember its exact name).

I noticed that some guys recently managed to hack the AppleServerWorksATA.kext to work with the ATI x200 Southbridge, since the two chipsets are really similar. Back in the days of the win2osx forum, I read on some driver site that Win98 classified the ALi disk controller as an Intel ICH-something, so I wonder if it is possible to do a similar patching to the AppleIntelICHATA.kext (or AppleOnboardPCATA, or whatever...) to make it work with the ALi controller. They shouldn't operate too differently, after all.

Damn, I need an answer to this aswell. I have a Presario 2500 laptop and I get to the stage of "IOPCCardBridge::start failed" I don't have the problem of my HDD light being on all the time though. Would it help if I remove the PCMCIA slot from the laptop? (if thats at all posible?)

Well I just tried opening up my laptop to temporarily remove the PCMCIA slot, but I couldn't remove it. Is there a way of disabling it during the install of OS X? like in the boot menu?

Also, what are a list of the advanced bootup options of OS X? Like the -v -x -F and what do they do?

I already did a native installation with VMware and managed to configure dual boot by editing the boot.ini file in Windows XP, but nothing changes compared to what you get (actually you DON'T GET...) with the installation DVD alone.

The only thing I managed to do is having OS X to try and use the AppleIntelPIIXATA driver and it says that both my IDE channels are disabled. I probably need to recompile the driver, use another one, or something else..

Is there anything that can be done about this error? Damn :lol: I worked so hard to do a native install using VMware (then do the chian0 trick) and all i get in return is the same error as everyone here. I also tried -x and it didn't do anything.

Could someone post a link to the IOPCIFamily.kext of 10.4.4? I want to see if replacing it works.

I'm getting the same error on my toshiba satellite mx 50. So far I have managed a vmware to hard drive installation But still get the same error everytime I try to boot osx.I've tried many different bios settings and nothing works. Runs fine in vmware but I'd rather not emulate it cause of its slow speed.

Laptop Specs are

1.5 ghz Intel[R] Celeron[R] M

60 gig Hd

512 mb Ram

ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M Series

• 2 weeks later...