Apple Red theme release

281 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok i'm lost. I'm new to this. I'm tying to change the theme on my girlfriend's computer, i already made custom dock icons. But what i want to know how to do is remove finder from the dock since it won't let you regularly. And i also was wondering if someone could clarify this for me. In read me when it says to "back up" the files what do you mean? Do i just copy them? I can't figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds cool. Having a look here: http://macthemes2.net/wiki/SArtFile.bin it says the menu background was 14, but it also says it's now redundant. It could be handled in a separate .rsrc file somewhere. I can't help you with that though... Good luck!

FYI, this file crashed my machine, had to restore the backup in single user mode :blink:

EDIT: thats because the link actually points to a site talking about sartfile.bin, not an actual usable file. So if you do a save-as, it just saves a file full of html.

Hi folks,

I thought it may be nice to have the steps summarized (what I've done and what was recommended if it is not working), nonetheless it is not working for me. I am trying to see the Transparent Dark Menu Bar.

1. backup and move the downloaded SArtFile.bin and Extras2.rsrc files according to the readme

2. select System Prefs->Desktop & Screen Saver->Uncheck Translucent menu bar

3. Leopard's CoreUI needs to be disabled, type in the Terminal: defaults write -g AppleUseCoreUI -bool NO

4. type in the Terminal: sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0.60

(what is this doing? how to undo?)

5. system cache cleanup

6. reboot

Maybe I have done something wrong, or you have any other hints, please let me know. The part of inserting inverted icons is missing, too. But right now I just want to see the dark menubar.. ;)

okay guys iv been here for hours and iv been wondering what the hell iv done wrong :rolleyes: so my menubar got the dark look but the problem is the font's still black and the other icons are too, so can anyone help me fix this?

check the attachment, i got a lil screenie that might show some stuff.

anyway i'll be really happy if anyone here could srsly help me :P thanks!

post-357354-1232078861_thumb.jpg

okay guys iv been here for hours and iv been wondering what the hell iv done wrong surprised.gif so my menubar got the dark look but the problem is the font's still black and the other icons are too, so can anyone help me fix this?

I was having the same problem. Try starting the whole process over... first restore the default menu bar, then uncheck "Make Menu Bar Transparent" in the sys prefs, then redownload the sart.bin file and extras2 file and try it again... that fixed it for me. I was getting the transparent/black bar but black text until i did this, now it's looking right. As for the icons, you need to change the individual .menu files... there's an explanation of this earlier in this thread.

On another note, I can't seem to get my battery or airport icons to display in the menu bar. The option to display them in the sys prefs is unchecked, and when I check them it does nothing... doesn't activate the "apply" button... nothin'. Anyone have any ideas?

I was having the same problem. Try starting the whole process over... first restore the default menu bar, then uncheck "Make Menu Bar Transparent" in the sys prefs, then redownload the sart.bin file and extras2 file and try it again... that fixed it for me. I was getting the transparent/black bar but black text until i did this, now it's looking right. As for the icons, you need to change the individual .menu files... there's an explanation of this earlier in this thread.

On another note, I can't seem to get my battery or airport icons to display in the menu bar. The option to display them in the sys prefs is unchecked, and when I check them it does nothing... doesn't activate the "apply" button... nothin'. Anyone have any ideas?

hey man thanks, il try that in abit. hope it works. :S anyway, yeap, im having the same problem as you, except only my battery is missing. not sure what went wrong there :S

edit: it's not working :o the menubar text is still black. should i reinstall leopard and try again? i think i should. blah. i think i just killed it, in a way.

I downloaded the file from sendspace.com "translucentdarkmenubar" and followed the instructions in the readme file which are:

1.) Go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Resources/ and make a back up of SArtFile.bin

2.)Once backed up delete the file from the resources.

3.)Move the modded SArtFile.bin into the resources folder.

4.) Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ and backup Extras2.rsrc

5.) Move the Extras2.rsrc into the resources

6.) Logout and Log in

In short, I was just suppose to replace SArtFile.bin and Extras2.rsrc file.

Or is that "modded" SArtFile.bin means that I have to do something else besides just replacing it.

But it did not change anything at all.

Help please.

@insanelyleo: yepp, just replace the original files with the modded files. the files you have downloaded are already changed, so you just need to replace them. there are some more things you can do if it is not working, i made a list in my previous post:

1. backup and move the downloaded SArtFile.bin and Extras2.rsrc files according to the readme

2. select System Prefs->Desktop & Screen Saver->Uncheck Translucent menu bar

3. Leopard's CoreUI needs to be disabled, type in the Terminal: defaults write -g AppleUseCoreUI -bool NO

4. type in the Terminal: sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0.60

(what is this doing? how to undo?)

5. system cache cleanup

6. reboot

i followed these steps (all were suggested by people form this thread) but it wont work. if you find a way please let me know. :)