Oblivion 100% Playble

sonicjam

95 posts in this topic

anyone have any idea why mods would not work if they're in the right place in data files and the text file in the library/preferences is right? there's no certain order the list in the plugins.txt has to be in, is there? I've tried moving things around in there, the data files were all moved correctly, I'm certain. I can get the Exnem body mod to work, but cannot get any faces/hair/eyes/races to load, and cannot get any places/items mods to run.

Hey Everyone, I am fairly new to these forums but i am not new to modding. This is the first time I have tried modding on a mac and am slightly upset that i cant figure this out. Oblivion is my favorite game and this is the strongest computer i have ever owned allowing me to finnally run it. Thank you to all who posted the oblivion.ini fixes as they have helped me very much. However i am still stuch with a dillema. Oblivion doesnt recognze that my mods exist. I know for a fact that i have all of the .esp/.esm's in the correct place as well as their related files because all the mods i have (very few) that use meshes and textures without needing a .esp or a .esm are working fine. I do not have parallels but instead have VMware so i have slightly different file paths. I have tried sonicjams idea but cant get it to work but i think the fault lies with me rather than his idea.

My oblivion data is located here:

Oblivion GOTY.app/Content/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion/Data

I have narrowed it down to three possible reasons why i am having issues with making his idea work.

1. I have the Plugins.txt and DLCList.txt in the wrong location. They are located in:

Oblivion GOTY.app/Content/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Documents and Settings/User/Local Settings/Application Data/Oblivion

The only two things in this particular file titled oblivion are the plugins.txt and DLCList.txt and nothing else.

2. I have written either of the two text files incorrectly.

DLCList.text reads as :

# This file is used by Oblivion to keep track of your downloaded content.

# Please do not modify this file.

Plugins.text reads as :

# This file is used to tell Oblivion which data files to load.

# Use the "data files" option in the Oblivion launcher to choose which files

# you want. Please do not modify this file.

DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp

HorseCombatMaster.esm

BathingMod_Placeable_Bathtubs.esp

BathingMod_Soap.esp

BathingMod_Bathroom_Upgrades.esp

BathingMod_Base.esm

Better Cities.esp

Better Cities - Full City Defences.esp

Better Cities Full.esp

Better Imperial City.esp

Better Cities Resources.esm

nVidia Black Screen Fix.esp

PC Sleep Disrober.esp

Retros Fletching and Imbueing.esp

FULL_Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul_V_1.23.esp

CapesandCloaks.esp

RangerEquipment.esp

Crowded Roads.esp

AliveWaters - Koi Addon.esp

AliveWaters - Slaughterfish Addon.esp

AliveWaters.esp

Castle_Dunkerlore_V1.esp

eyja.esp

Guards.esp

NRB4+Vineyard Patch.esp

road+bridges.esp

CampfireBehavior.esp

NRB4 Standard Road Record.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

Knights.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

Oblivion.esm

In the actual text there is a space between the notification and the mods and a space inbetween al lof the mods.

3. The error lies in that i have to start a new game for it to read the mods instead of loading the save files i currently have. (I have two at the prison sewer exit for testing purposes) The reason being that the other two games have already compiled data and wont load any changes.

I have found an alternate way to loading the mods but i cant continue because of a strange occurance. I have downloaded Wirebash and it is running perfectly as it allowed me to sort and make sure all the mods were working but i need a save file to load those mods to. For some strange reason the save files i made in oblivion are missing from the universe until i boot it up and load the saves in game. I have concluded from this that you cannot access save games outside of the application because they are stored directlyi in the application. I could very well be wrong and it would please me to no end to be proven so but i have searched everywhere.

If any of you can help me with this issue of mine I would be very grateful

Hello Everybody ! First post :)

I found a better workaround !

It seems the problem with impact sound comes from an incompatibility between wine and hardware sound acceleration.

In [audio] section of Oblivion.ini set bDSoundHWAcceleration=0 and

bUseSoftwareAudio3D=1 to turn it off and you won't jump out of your chair any more every time you run into a fallen weapon.

fHeadroomdB=2.0000

fMinSoundVel=10.0000

iMaxImpactSoundCount=16

fMaxFootstepDistance=1100.0000

fPlayerFootVolume=0.9000

bUseSpeedForWeaponSwish=1

fLargeWeaponSpeedMax=0.9500

fMediumWeaponSpeedMax=1.1000

fLargeWeaponWeightMin=25.0000

fMediumWeaponWeightMin=8.0000

fGlassLargeMassMin=25.0000

fGlassMediumMassMin=8.0000

fClothLargeMassMin=25.0000

fClothMediumMassMin=8.0000

fMetalLargeMassMin=25.0000

fMetalMediumMassMin=8.0000

fChainLargeMassMin=30.0000

fChainMediumMassMin=5.0000

fSkinLargeMassMin=30.0000

fSkinMediumMassMin=5.0000

fEarthLargeMassMin=30.0000

fEarthMediumMassMin=5.0000

fStoneLargeMassMin=30.0000

fStoneMediumMassMin=5.0000

fWoodLargeMassMin=15.0000

fWoodMediumMassMin=7.0000

iCollisionSoundTimeDelta=50

fDBVoiceAttenuationIn2D=0.0000

fDSoundRolloffFactor=4.0000

fDialogAttenuationMax=35.0000

fDialogAttenuationMin=7.7500

bUseSoundDebugInfo=1

fUnderwaterFrequencyDelta=0.0000

bUseSoftwareAudio3D=0

fDefaultVoiceVolume=0.8000

fDefaultEffectsVolume=0.8000

fDefaultMusicVolume=0.8000

fDefaultFootVolume=0.8000

fDefaultMasterVolume=0.8000

fMainMenuMusicVolume=0.6000

bMusicEnabled=1

bSoundEnabled=1

I don't have bDSoundHWAcceleration=0 value to change. I tried adding the value to the .ini but that did not help either. Any thoughts what I did wrong?

Time to stop lurking ;)

For you all installing mods, I suggest you read about load order as it's VERY important.

Something like this

Examples

Generally for Windows users using OMM, you load the Oblivion.esm at the top of the list and other .esm's directly under, these are "master" files. "Plugins", the .esp's, come after them. For the Plugin.txt we must use, you should generally follow this pattern, and make sure you leave the space (hey, it works for me)

modc.esp

modb.esp

moda.esp

modc.esm

oblivion.esm

So basically it's just upside down, and remember the load order needs to come into effect. And those are fake mod names in case you are pretty thick.

After about a week of messing with this, I can say from my experience, major tools like OBSE, OMM, Wrye Bash won't work unless someone is more talented than me which I would hazard a guess a lot of you are :P . The Construction Set I did manage to get running and functioning somewhat. It crashes a lot more then I think it should but you should be able to work around it. I'm not sure if there are fixes and this is a general problem, or just the fact I'm on a Mac.

Haven't found a fix for the sound problem either, none of those fixes or mine worked, except turning off collisions entirely which can lead to a lot of in-game confusion.

My real problem is fps. I have jammed my data folder with about every poly reducing mesh and reduced textures and see little to no improvement (talking about 6 or 7 mods that "should" give at least 20 frames). Changing the .ini doesn't provide much success, even following the tweak guide. In game the best solutions I have found are turning off shadows, and reducing the view distance. View distance is probably the biggest fps boost I can get but it's horrible playing on anything under 100% with distant buildings, good luck trying to find dungeons in the haze that you will get unless you stumble upon somewhere by chance.

You might want to avoid flashy armor and weapon mods, or any thing like a buliding that adds "new" things as lot of it has ridiculous high poly counts. As an example just one set of gear I equipped in the armor menu dropped my fps from 60 to low 20's. But that's just my input.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Oblivion working great on my computer, and after doing the performance and graphics tweaks suggested on the forums it broke. It shows the splash, then returns the error :

Failed to initialize renderer.

GetAdapterDesc() Failed.

Not sure what caused this exactly, after tweaking I played for about 10 minutes, then when killing a goblin it crashed. It returns this message every time I try to run it now.

I found a txt that oblivion reads to order to get the mod to work and its pretty easy too.

1. First download the app i released its in my sig and add the game in its right place.

2. Go, find, and download the mods you want. (i recommend http://www.tesnexus.com )

3. Add the mod in the data folder. Watch out when it asks about replacing something because you can remove your last mod files for accident just open up the folder and move the files into the folder it has to be.

4. now to get your mod or dlc working go to username/library/preference/"The Elder Scrolls 4/Oblivion Preferences"/p_drive/user/local settings/application data/Oblivion/

5. now in there make 2 txt files one named DLCList.txt the other one Plugins.txt

6. just to make sure just add this in your txts

7. to add the mods is the easy part just open up Plugins.txt file and add the file name.ext over oblivion.esm just to make sure. Here is an example:

8. thats it save it and open oblivion and have fun with the mods.

[optional]

to make it easier make an alias for the folder of oblivion to add the mods it will be a pain in the butt opening it every time you found somehting.

im a complete and udder nub at this stuff, so heres my problem everytime i try and start the game it has the little spore symbol and says "Some of the files have been modified! Please re-install" can anyone help me with that?

im a complete and udder nub at this stuff, so heres my problem everytime i try and start the game it has the little spore symbol and says "Some of the files have been modified! Please re-install" can anyone help me with that?

I think whats happening is you are trying to update oblivion when it prompts you to on launching. The info.plist file specifies to use spore's update page, so it thinks you are running spore and tries to install a spore patch. Either change the info.plist file where it says something along the lines of:

<key>apURL</key>

<string>www.spore.com/updates</string>

to:

<key>apURL</key>

<string></string>

or simply don't click on update. Hopefully this was indeed the problem. :thumbsup_anim:

Sincerely,

zackdddd

• 4 weeks later...

So has anyone made any ground on the collision sound bug? I've tried messing around with the Oblivion.ini files a bunch, with little to no success (managed to turn off the music completely for good once... not sure how, so I reinstalled). Is this only a problem if you have built in audio? So maddeningly frustrating walking into a guild hall only to be bombarded with clings and clangs!

So has anyone made any ground on the collision sound bug? I've tried messing around with the Oblivion.ini files a bunch, with little to no success (managed to turn off the music completely for good once... not sure how, so I reinstalled). Is this only a problem if you have built in audio? So maddeningly frustrating walking into a guild hall only to be bombarded with clings and clangs!

This is the repack i did with the newest version of cider i have not got any replies if it works for them or not but it kills the collision bug for me.

This is the repack i did with the newest version of cider i have not got any replies if it works for them or not but it kills the collision bug for me.

thanks however I don't have original CD's for PC... only ever bought it for xbox

is there anything I can do without them?

thanks however I don't have original CD's for PC... only ever bought it for xbox

is there anything I can do without them?

sorry no not for xbox but i'm sure you can find a older intel oblivion port and just take the windows files and dump them in the one i repacked

• 2 months later...
Time to stop lurking :P

For you all installing mods, I suggest you read about load order as it's VERY important.

Something like this

Examples

Generally for Windows users using OMM, you load the Oblivion.esm at the top of the list and other .esm's directly under, these are "master" files. "Plugins", the .esp's, come after them. For the Plugin.txt we must use, you should generally follow this pattern, and make sure you leave the space (hey, it works for me)

So basically it's just upside down, and remember the load order needs to come into effect. And those are fake mod names in case you are pretty thick.

After about a week of messing with this, I can say from my experience, major tools like OBSE, OMM, Wrye Bash won't work unless someone is more talented than me which I would hazard a guess a lot of you are ;) . The Construction Set I did manage to get running and functioning somewhat. It crashes a lot more then I think it should but you should be able to work around it. I'm not sure if there are fixes and this is a general problem, or just the fact I'm on a Mac.

Haven't found a fix for the sound problem either, none of those fixes or mine worked, except turning off collisions entirely which can lead to a lot of in-game confusion.

My real problem is fps. I have jammed my data folder with about every poly reducing mesh and reduced textures and see little to no improvement (talking about 6 or 7 mods that "should" give at least 20 frames). Changing the .ini doesn't provide much success, even following the tweak guide. In game the best solutions I have found are turning off shadows, and reducing the view distance. View distance is probably the biggest fps boost I can get but it's horrible playing on anything under 100% with distant buildings, good luck trying to find dungeons in the haze that you will get unless you stumble upon somewhere by chance.

You might want to avoid flashy armor and weapon mods, or any thing like a buliding that adds "new" things as lot of it has ridiculous high poly counts. As an example just one set of gear I equipped in the armor menu dropped my fps from 60 to low 20's. But that's just my input.

Hi guys,

I have a question about file extensions.. I wanted to load a mod but it's ext is omod.

So i did some research on the extension and it seems it needs to be loaded by OBMM.

So is it possible to still load a omod the way that Sonic described in the forum or is there a method i am not seeing?

Unfortunately, I never figured out a way to get an omod, or OBMM to work, but the only solution I can offer for the moment is that most mods come with manual installs too, because there are still a surprising amount of people on Windows who manually install their files too.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I let the .esp files in their own sub folders or do I need to put them directly in the data folder and then merge their meshes, sounds, textures... folders with the others?

[Edit]

I made what I did think right, so I merge all the files together...

Now, it crash to desktop the moment I start it.

Do you think you can have too much mod?

[Edit 2]

Actually got to make it works!

One of the mods I added was in cause.

I don't think you even need the .txt files.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I let the .esp files in their own sub folders or do I need to put them directly in the data folder and then merge their meshes, sounds, textures... folders with the others?

[Edit]

I made what I did think right, so I merge all the files together...

Now, it crash to desktop the moment I start it.

Do you think you can have too much mod?

[Edit 2]

Actually got to make it works!

One of the mods I added was in cause.

I don't think you even need the .txt files.

I'm having issues with my mods loading... i have them in the correct folder even got a shortcut to it in my finder folder menu, for adding more in the future here is the plugin.txt file's contents i used, and i put that in the oblivion folder where it was said to earlier, what am i doing wrong?

Plugin.txt:

# Use the "data files" option in the Oblivion launcher to choose which

# files you want. Please do not modify this file.

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

Knights.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

Oblivion.esm

MidasSpells.esp

BleachOverhaul.esp

Edit: Oh by the way i was reading on one site about how to fix the combat freezing issue for good, although it kinda sucks it works and i never pause in combat again since, you must delete your music folder in the same folder that you put your mods into.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Thx to you guys I've been able to get most of the mods running, apart from the omod-files.

The mod Midas Magic Spells is still a problem though, and I think the reason is that the data is located in a bsa file, instead of just the regular meshes and textures you normally get with the esp.

I can enter the shop, but the game crashes as soon as i try to e.g. make a new spell.

Anyone knows how to get the bsa file working / make oblivion or the midas-esp. recognize it?

thx again, great work!

• 3 months later...

Hello to everybody,

I am French and thus I use a translator who I hope is good ^^

Thus here is my problem:

I am on Mac and I come of downloaded OBLIVION GOTY

And I would like added by mod the only problem there, it is that his(her,its) walking(step) not ^^

Nevertheless I puts file esp in dated correctly

And for plugins I know not too much if it is as his(her,its) that it is necessary to make

capturedcran20100425121.png

Thus if a video or simply could you tell me how to make with a photo or to say it to me by stage his(her,its) would be really nice from your part.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with modding Oblivion on Mac... Ive got all the official mods working by creating the 2 files and Putting them in "[user]>Library>Preferences>Oblivion Preferences>p_drive>User>Local Settings>Application Data>Oblivion I want to know how to download 3rd party mods... I understand that I put the .esm and .bsa or whatever into the Data folder but do I have to track back the the "[user]>Library>Preferences>Oblivion Preferences>p_drive>User>Local Settings>Application Data>Oblivion... and put in the .esm and .bsa in order to make them run in game?

• 1 month later...

I need help badly because I am getting frustrated and am about to give up. So I did everything put the files in the data folder with all the others. I made the text documents and put them in the right place. I even tried to use the oblivion cider patcher but when I do it gets half way and then says to re-install. I found a fix where you simply take www.spore.com out of the plist file and now it wont work at all. I have no idea what to do. Shivering Isles works but all the downloaded content doesn't and neither does the knights of the nine. Also my mods even though they are present in the data folder don't work at all. I have tried everything please someone explain this step by step for me and help. Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Lots of good useful help here on how to get Oblivion running, and I'm getting there now. Still got sound problems, but I have got mods running. People are asking about the file locations and so here are some tips from me in the hope that it will save you some of the hours I spent on wild goose chases around the filesystem...

NB: I have a Cider version of the Oblivion GOTY edition, which as standard, ran with a black screen and no plugins.

Priority 1 = fix the black screen

In the game, go to options and turn off HDR

Priority 2 = Activate the DLC plugins

For this and the next steps, the thing to realise is that your plug ins, Oblivion.ini and Plugins.txt files are in different places!

To find your plug ins, control select the Oblivion icon in Applications and Show Contents. This will reveal the hidden file structure within. Navigate through the folders to Resources>transgaming>c_drive>Bethesda Softworks>Oblivion. You can make an alias to this folder for easier navigation next time.

Within the Oblivion folder site the game and it's Data folder. It's in Data that plugins go. You'll need to look in here and get the file names of any DLC addons, so keep this window open.

Now for the Plugins.txt file. This will tell Oblivion what to load and in what order.

Look in yourHomeFolder>Library>Preferences>Oblivion Preferences>p_drive>User>Local Settings>Application Data>Oblivion

You will likely have to create the Plugins.txt file from scratch. I used BBEdit and found it important to set DOS line breaks. A basic file will look like this...

oblivion.esm

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

Knights.esp

I read that oblivion.esm goes first always and in the DLC list, Knights goes last. It works for me so far.

Priority 3 = Fiddle in the Oblivion.ini file with tweaks I read about in forums

Look in yourHomeFolder>Library>Preferences>Oblivion Preferences>p_drive>User>Local Settings>My Documents>My Games>Oblivion

This is the location of the Oblivion.ini that seems to make a difference. There are others in the main application folder, but these don't seem to do anything (for me).

This is the file to 'experiment with' to try and fix the sound bug. I haven't had any luck yet.

Priority 4 = Add some other plug ins, such as Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

Remember that plug ins will live in the Data folder where the app is. You can download them from sites, and might need a .7z unzipper, but once you have it it's worth being aware that you'll have to manual install any files. This is fiddly and needs to be done with care to match up the correct folders, etc. and not to delete anything unintentionally.

Having added files carefully, you'll also have a .esp file in the Data folder too. Go and add its name onto the end of your Plugins.txt file and save it.

That should see your plug in load next time you run Oblivion and enter the game world.

So, I'm up and running and on my way to see Jauffre. If I sort the sound bug, or find any other great revelations, I'll post somewhere on the board.

Good luck! ... and thanks again to the posters above who helped me get everything up and running.

Justin