Users at InsanelyMac should help make a free .Mac/MobileMe alternative!

Al X And Er

26 posts in this topic

Hey Guys!

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if lots of people from InsanelyMac and more teamed up to make a cool, free ad-free .Mac/MobileMe alternative? It's not very hard, and we can offer heaps of services just using previous open sourced PHP scripts and then modifying them to meet our needs. It would be a cool idea!

Does anyone possibly wanna help?

well, just yesterday i bought unlimited web hosting, all we need now are a few people who are willing to help and maybe a spare domain if anyone has one! if anyone's interested email me at alexander@alexandercolquhoun.com

Well. I wouldn't mind working on such a project. But you do know that most of those "unlimited" hosts are really not unlimited (perhaps yours is different). But it has been my experience that they will not allow files that are not part of the website. Example: you can't upload a trial version of a game (say 500MB) and let your friends download it from your site.... things like that.

Anyway. If you do create something like this, it would be a very big project and will probably take months given that all the programmers, and artists you recruit will only be working on the project part time.

If something does come of this, PM me. I'll be interested in helping with the PHP MySQL part of it. Don't ask me to design anything, you won't get anything you will want to put up on the site ;)

Alex, you and your crazy ideas. Alex before you start making any iatkos.com site or cloning .mac (btw the guide: http://www.tnpi.net/wiki/Do_It_Yourself_.Mac ), you first need Mac! You still haven't installed it, so that's your next big aim. Then we can talk about the next things. And btw iAtkos.com and iAtkos Social: I'm planning to shut down the development of iAtkos.com and perhaps the Social Network will die, too. My first thing to finish now is to reform my Business from http://rainfall-daffinson.com/ to 8thBlock and to become No. 1 Makreting & Branding Company in Serbia. Then we can talk about iAtkos.com & co.

until then cya

ah yeah i'll isntall the theme on your joomla page in the next few days, k?

why should I trust you with my contacts,calendars,pictures, and backups? or are you thinking of a package that is decentralized and installable on any webserver, for individuals.

Who pee'd in your cheerios this morning, Mr. Negative?

sounds cool...

OK for anyone that wants to know anything about this or who wants to help I've setup a forum on the idea........... http://iiconnect.alexandercolquhoun.com/forum or http://smallurl.co.uk/?7454

An example is shown here: http://iiconnect.alexandercolquhoun.com, but that's not the forum.... 'iiConnect' wouldn't be the name, it's just an idea. go to those forums to contribute ;)

Who pee'd in your cheerios this morning, Mr. Negative?

negative how? some random dude pops up and says "store your photos, contacts, files, and calendar information on my webserver" and I should? no indication of security, privacy, or trustworthiness? sure, I'd love an alternative to .mac ..but I want it installed on my webserver where I can control access and privacy.

If, however, you disagree ..then please give me your social security number, last three addresses, and mother's maiden name so I can help the mac community do something. not sure what yet, but I promise I'm a nice guy.

negative how? some random dude pops up and says "store your photos, contacts, files, and calendar information on my webserver" and I should? no indication of security, privacy, or trustworthiness? sure, I'd love an alternative to .mac ..but I want it installed on my webserver where I can control access and privacy.

They have that! It's called Microsoft Exchange! ;)

If, however, you disagree ..then please give me your social security number, last three addresses, and mother's maiden name so I can help the mac community do something. not sure what yet, but I promise I'm a nice guy.

You store your mothers maiden name, SSN and last 3 addresses on your phone/computer?

Heh, you've got a lot more security holes to worry about than uploading personal contacts on a community based server...

• 3 weeks later...

hi, after reading all this, i got excited and want to try to help too.

i can design the webpage and stuff like that, and also help with the coding of certain litlle pieces of software that might be needed.

I already have some experience with software creating at school. however, i am in the design team, so we think out what the steps are needed to reach certain goals, like: ok to reach that, we need this, this can we get these ways, how do we want the user to interact with the program to get the needed information to reach the goal, what can be automised ??? all these kinds of things

some describe it as creating a sketch of the whole program. The actual coding was done by another team.

i will also beta test. and a tip for all the people who want to test, but don't want to share personal information, create a little new account on your mac with some sample contacts and mails and calendars in them, only 5 minutes of work

if interested in my hulp, PM me.

• 1 month later...