Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

wilsontc

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I have a bizarre problem. Sometimes, if I'm very lucky, I can pair my new apple bluetooth keyboard with my hackintosh, but most of the time, I can't. I don't know why this is, as most people seem to have had it working with no problems on their hacks!

Does anyone know of a solution / trick to always get it to pair? Oncie it's paired, it's fine. But it only wants to pair randomly, and if I get a lockup, the pairing is lost and I have to start over. I've been trying to make the damn thing pair for nearly an hour now.

I've tried removing the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file and rebooting, as well as updating to the latest AppleSMBIOS from Mac.nub. Neither of these make any difference. I have two dongles; an Edimax and the venerable d-link DBT-120 (rev B3), flashed with the latest firmware. Both these dongles can work with the keyboard. I just don't know how to make it 100%!!

My system:

10.5.2 Kalway

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2

I also have a MacBook, if that will help me test things..

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone!

I have a bizarre problem. Sometimes, if I'm very lucky, I can pair my new apple bluetooth keyboard with my hackintosh, but most of the time, I can't. I don't know why this is, as most people seem to have had it working with no problems on their hacks!

Does anyone know of a solution / trick to always get it to pair? Oncie it's paired, it's fine. But it only wants to pair randomly, and if I get a lockup, the pairing is lost and I have to start over. I've been trying to make the damn thing pair for nearly an hour now.

I've tried removing the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file and rebooting, as well as updating to the latest AppleSMBIOS from Mac.nub. Neither of these make any difference. I have two dongles; an Edimax and the venerable d-link DBT-120 (rev B3), flashed with the latest firmware. Both these dongles can work with the keyboard. I just don't know how to make it 100%!!

My system:

10.5.2 Kalway

Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2

I also have a MacBook, if that will help me test things..

I have the same problem. It can find the keyboard, but when I enter the passkey numbers and hit enter, it waits for a minute, and then says that it was unsuccesfull with the pairing.

Have you had any luck on fixing this on your system?

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem. It can find the keyboard, but when I enter the passkey numbers and hit enter, it waits for a minute, and then says that it was unsuccesfull with the pairing.

Have you had any luck on fixing this on your system?

I have the exact same problem!!

One thing though the apple bluetooth mouse works perfectly fine. I have installed Iatkos 10.5.4 and kalyway 10.5.2 both have the same problem.

Methinks its some thing with the new aluminium keyboard update that I installed because it did work ok earlier, but I dunno really

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also having the same problem. I have a standard white bluetooth apple keyboard. It works great under windows (only works with the BlueSoliel stack in Windows).

Same symptons, go to pair, HackOS see's the keyboard, gives me 6 digits to enter on keyboard + <enter>. After a few seconds says unsuccessful no matter how many times i've tried it hasn't worked once.

I'm using a dongle with the Broadcomm chipset. I have 2 more dongles, one is IVT which doesn't work at all, the other is another Broadcomm chipset. Neither work.

Maybe someone who has had this problem and resolved it?

• 2 months later...

i am having the same issue as everyone else. at first i couldnt even get my apple mighty mouse to pair up. i had to downgrade the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from the 10.5.6 (current version of OS) to one from a 10.5.4. that seemed to remedy that situation. as for the keyboard, it just doesnt want to pair up. sometimes i dont even get to the verification screen (where it says enter this code). it will just not successfully connect. its the most frustrating thing. i did update the file AppleSMBIOS from Mac.nub but still doesnt work either. any solutions out there. i dont want my $60 keyboard to be a paperweight.

thanks!

I was having this exact problem until I switched to a different Bluetooth adapter. With the new adapter the pairing worked flawlessly the first time and seems to be working solidly since then.

I am on vanilla 10.5.6 using PC EFI 9. The (working) adapter I'm using is the IOGear GBU311W6. My previous adapter (the one that didn't work) was an IOGear BT 1.1 dongle (don't know the exact model number). It seems as though people have good results with the D-Link DBT-122 as well (see Google).

I should point out that I didn't have to swap out any kexts or install any USB fixes or anything else suggested online in order to get this to work. Simply swapping out the BT adapter did the trick. I didn't even need to reboot.

Good luck!

I am glad I found this thread! Add me to the list of folks who are having this problem. I have 10.5.6 vanilla install w/ many 10.5.5 extensions - long story. Basically my keyboard worked for months and then all of a sudden it stopped working a few days after the 10.5.6 update. I have pretty much tried everything:

*reinstalled the 10.5.6 update from the combo update/ first update came through system

*deleted the following files:

**com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

**/Users/YOUR-ACCOUNT/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ any bluetooth references in here.

*Updated/downgraded to 10.5.5 versions of: AppleADBButtons.kext, AppleADBKeyboard.kext,

*strange thing is once I get through the pin process I see that the keyboard shows up in the bluetooth control panel for about 5 seconds. But for whatever reason we are not able to complete the pairing process! something fails and then I get the error that the keyboard does not pair and its removed from the BT control panel. Have you guys seen this at all?

* I've repaired permissions, cleared caches

*I took the keyboard over to my MBP and it paried in a second!

Looks like some other folks are having this issue [apple.com].

Oh yah, and I am using this BT dongle:

IOGEAR GBU221

i am having the same issue as everyone else. at first i couldnt even get my apple mighty mouse to pair up. i had to downgrade the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from the 10.5.6 (current version of OS) to one from a 10.5.4. that seemed to remedy that situation. as for the keyboard, it just doesnt want to pair up. sometimes i dont even get to the verification screen (where it says enter this code). it will just not successfully connect. its the most frustrating thing. i did update the file AppleSMBIOS from Mac.nub but still doesnt work either. any solutions out there. i dont want my $60 keyboard to be a paperweight.

thanks!

I'm glad you got it working! I have heard that using kexts from 10.5.4 works, but I don't have any machines with this version installed, nor old combo updates. Would you be able to attach these kexts to the thread?

Thanks!

UPDATE: although I was able to get my Apple Bluetooth keyboard working with the IOGear GBU311 adapter as per my post above, as soon as I added a Apple Bluetooth Mighty Mouse I started experiencing frequent (several times per minute) connection drops of either the mouse, the keyboard or both. I decided to spring for a D-Link DBT-122 and, lo-and behold, no more connection drops. My take-away from this is that the DBT-122 is the way to go for the Apple wireless input devices.

Just wanted to let everyone know that my keyboard started working once I reloaded the OS. PITA but it worked... I still don;t know what was wrong with it.

I am glad I found this thread! Add me to the list of folks who are having this problem. I have 10.5.6 vanilla install w/ many 10.5.5 extensions - long story. Basically my keyboard worked for months and then all of a sudden it stopped working a few days after the 10.5.6 update. I have pretty much tried everything:

*reinstalled the 10.5.6 update from the combo update/ first update came through system

*deleted the following files:

**com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

**/Users/YOUR-ACCOUNT/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ any bluetooth references in here.

*Updated/downgraded to 10.5.5 versions of: AppleADBButtons.kext, AppleADBKeyboard.kext,

*strange thing is once I get through the pin process I see that the keyboard shows up in the bluetooth control panel for about 5 seconds. But for whatever reason we are not able to complete the pairing process! something fails and then I get the error that the keyboard does not pair and its removed from the BT control panel. Have you guys seen this at all?

* I've repaired permissions, cleared caches

*I took the keyboard over to my MBP and it paried in a second!

Looks like some other folks are having this issue [apple.com].

Oh yah, and I am using this BT dongle:

IOGEAR GBU221

• 3 months later...

I am actually having problems with the DBT-120 B3. Anyone have problems with this in 10.5.6. I cant even get the system to recognize it. Everything is working perfectly except for my bluetooth. Someone please help if you know what is wrong.

Not sure if it'll help you, Kevin, but perhaps an alternative to buying a new adapter: I was having the same issues pairing with an apple wireless keyboard and my logitech bluetooth mouse using a cheapo "Azio" usb bt adapter. OSX would see the mouse and keyboard and get as far as trying to pair/sending the passkeys and it would just time out. After all sorts of shenanigans, I realized all I needed to do was try booting with a different kernel. In my case it meant switching from the vanilla 9.7.0_9j56 kernel to vanilla 9.6.3. Hope this helps someone...