Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

well youmay think so, but sometimes solutions are done with a bit of sweating, like i said, it is not officially supported with xp, but there are sata/ahci injected versions of xp... i dont encourage usage of pirates, but if you dont know how to convert your original version to an ahci supported, i dont see why you should not use an injected version...i myself did an inject and make the xp work with ahci/sata OTB :)

a quick look at the drivers in the dfi website for his mobo, i see fdd drivers... (for installing during xp setup, ich9r raid = ahci support as well) or matrix raid drivers for installing from within xp...

komano have you actually tried those drivers? and also did you follow the guidelines?

1 start xp while using ide mode still in bios

2 install raid drivers

3 remove ide drivers from device manager

4 restart?

5 change to ahci mode in bios

6 and start xp?

at worst, you can have those drivers in a floopy disk, and try xp install with ahci enabled bios, while xp setup loading, it says press f6 to load additional drivers... you can try that as well... see if it helps

yeah tried that. But im going to reinstall xp with those drivers soon and yes i know press f6. =) im not new to xp.

@Mysticus C*

I was looking for the network card information and should of posted an update sooner.

I got the networking running in the end by replacing the IONETWORKINGFAMILY.kext from said backups to the system extensons folder. A quick hunt around later on how to repair permissions and im now working....

Well I say that but my XFX 8800GTS card on a plain install did have hardware accel working and now it doesn't :-(

Going to have another bash at it now and see what happens :D

@Mysticus C*

I was looking for the network card information and should of posted an update sooner.

I got the networking running in the end by replacing the IONETWORKINGFAMILY.kext from said backups to the system extensons folder. A quick hunt around later on how to repair permissions and im now working....

Well I say that but my XFX 8800GTS card on a plain install did have hardware accel working and now it doesn't :-(

Going to have another bash at it now and see what happens :censored2:

that sounds like you didnt select nvinject from the customize window...

run 10.5.3 update, and use customize window, choose "correct memory amount nvinject" from the nvidia section and unselect everything else in the update.... At the end, it should be only nvinject selected and no others should be selected (deselect Prepare for update, 10.5.3 update, smbios, finalize.... all of these options should be deselected!!!! otherwise, you may have another trouble again...)

Spot on, however... (don't you love that)

I now have the most bizarre settings in about my mac and safari doesn't run. No biggie I thought, went to apple, downloaded safari and i get this.

grab.jpg

about.jpg

Now I did select th ZEF kernel which seemed to be the right one (i think. sorry kernels are confusing me)

Does my sig give enough spec on what kernel i should use?

Spot on, however... (don't you love that)

I now have the most bizarre settings in about my mac and safari doesn't run. No biggie I thought, went to apple, downloaded safari and i get this.

grab.jpg

about.jpg

Now I did select th ZEF kernel which seemed to be the right one (i think. sorry kernels are confusing me)

Does my sig give enough spec on what kernel i should use?

Just a thought..... do your system.kext and kernel versions match............also your MOBO has VIA chipset I believe, so did you select for this in Customize before installation?.....

shiftlocked: your bizarre settings comes from your excitement, bcoz your mixing too much stuff, and i dont think you understand every single change you are making...

I agree with you a bit that there is a touch of excitement and try new things which ultimately buggers things up lol

My board is an Asus P5E with the X38 chipset. you guys have been great so far with helping could you kindly advise on what settings to use for your update, ive tried a few times now and managed to pork up my rig every time lol.

Edit. I am updating the sig with new information to make things easier so at least im trying to help get me help lol

I agree with you a bit that there is a touch of excitement and try new things which ultimately buggers things up lol

My board is an Asus P5E with the X38 chipset. you guys have been great so far with helping could you kindly advise on what settings to use for your update, ive tried a few times now and managed to pork up my rig every time lol.

Edit. I am updating the sig with new information to make things easier so at least im trying to help get me help lol

are you on sata or pata hdd? also on ich9r or jmicron controller?

+ if you set your pata/sata port to ahci in bios, it should help boot process to complete smoothly...

+ apart from that, check bios for these settings:

acpi mode: s3/s1 or both

execute disable bit: enabled

sata/pata ports: ahci if possible

your gfx? if nvidia, make sure you choose correct nvinject from the package (customize window of the update package), or use nvkush from other places...

rest should be fine, but you dont really provide gfx info so, cant say about stability of your dekstop...

Thanks for the update. Sig updated as well

Running on Intel ICH9-R I have

Western Digital HDD and a Pioneer DVDRW for now

VGA is Nvidia 8800GTX 512mb

ACHI is all setup in the bios and Im running smooth as can be on 10.5.2 Kalyway install right now :D All the other bios settings have been sorted out as well when I installed.

On the customise settings for the 10.5.3 Combo update Fixed v1.4b do I update the kernel or leave that well alone? The one installed at the moment is the default used on the Kalyway install.

Thanks for the update. Sig updated as well

Running on Intel ICH9-R I have

Western Digital HDD and a Pioneer DVDRW for now

VGA is Nvidia 8800GTX 512mb

ACHI is all setup in the bios and Im running smooth as can be on 10.5.2 Kalyway install right now :D All the other bios settings have been sorted out as well when I installed.

On the customise settings for the 10.5.3 Combo update Fixed v1.4b do I update the kernel or leave that well alone? The one installed at the moment is the default used on the Kalyway install.

you may have trouble with the dvdrom, as it is pata (ahci mode makes it work fine after updates but installing from it would be trouble? jmicron issue)

dont touch the kernel (by default it install 9.2.0 sleep kernel which is fine on this mobo), but make sure you select correct nvinject for your gfx!!!!

rest should be fine... but double check for smbios... choose one u like, but suggested macpro by mac.nub ;) it should be all good to go...

Righto thanks again. Just off to do an update will report back in a bit ;)

Well that worked, Replaced the IOnetworkingfamily kext with the old one and im back online

Graphics working all ok as well with correct settings joy.

I assume at this point the 10.5.4 update is along the same lines and should be ok as long as i leave the kernel options alone?

can anyone confirm wheter or not the time machine working before/after the update packages I supplied?... jantunes, it may very well be yours only, most likely due to network drivers in your system also not working?

Time Machine is working just fine for me. It's been fine with 10.5.1, 10.5.3, and 10.5.4.

Time Machine is working just fine for me. It's been fine with 10.5.1, 10.5.3, and 10.5.4.

thanx for feedback mate... so now we know it is most likely his network adapter and other mixture was causing the trouble... jantunes... if you replace back your ionetworkingfamily.kext back from backups folder it should fix your timemachine trouble?

Some Update News:

+ I figured out PS/2 fix, dont know yet how effective it will be... but it has side effects as restart and shutdown not working... (meaning everything is shutdown, but it just doesnt go one step further... will investigate that a bit)

+ gma 900 Leopard driver working... (thanx to andy and fibble and all whoever got it figure out...)

these two will be added in the next update 10.5.5, (release date is october i think)

this update guide is working flawlesy for me on my badaxe. thankyou.

though one small problem im having though when following your guide to keeping a backup of your system - when i end up bricking one of the boot partitions from editting kexts or for other reasons, using your tips to restore the partition from the other test partition and then rebooting results in a "no hfs partition found" error. I know this is because the bootloader is somehow getting removed. is there a way to restore the bootloader?

there are manual ways... and there are dvd boot way...

but first, main idea of brick free partition scheme is... you make 2 partitions before you start installation of your main system... ok?

next, you name your main and test partitions... next install main partition! you have one fully working main partition? ok now before doing any update, to learn the results, you make a copy of your main partition to test partition, and do the updates and tests on test partition ok? once you learn how to do the update w/o bricking your test partition, you apply same technics to main partition...

so the reasons why you bricked are 1) most likely your target partition is not hfs formatted? 2) your target partition is main? (which has a working bootloader!) you should not use main partition as target! (you will remove the bootloader if you do it incorrectly...) target is always test partition... to learn the effects and solutions, and do the experience learned on the main at last... bricking test partition doesnt effect booting, but bricking main, is the problem part...

solution to retrieve bootloader, learn manual way? or grab yourself an iatkos 1.0i (r3 preferably) dvd and boot from it ok? than in customize window, choose only bootloader option and nothing else!!!! it will restore the bootloader...

use kalyway dvd 10.5.2 and then update all the way to 10.5.4...

or simply use jas 10.5.4 dvd...

why you are having those issues is that some dvds, are using improper naming for the install packages... and the way that osx install and keep record of what has been installed, is the reason...

think of it like this: os x is consisted of many packages, in certain hierarchy... and when you install an update, it updates correct sections... for example, you have files named 1-2-3... and they belong to package A, when you update the 1-2-3 file, package A's database has to be udpated as well... but in your Leo4all the name of that package A is something else, ok? like Z! when the database being requested to be updated, obviously, A will not be found, therefore A database will not be updated... System will check new files from the database of Z bcoz in your modified install the files are belonging to database Z, but original update tries to update original database which is A, so when they dont match, system will think those files have wrong permissions or specs like that... what happens if you dont fix it? Nothing major happens (apart from some certain files like login), bcoz system will still be able to use them... is there a fix for this?

there is definetely a fix for this, and it is just the name of the database needs to be changed, however, this will require changing original names all the time! Which means, some work needed for every different dvd taht uses non-original names!...

the fix is very easy... however a bit of work, for every different package name used dvd...

use kalyway dvd 10.5.2 and then update all the way to 10.5.4...

or simply use jas 10.5.4 dvd...

why you are having those issues is that some dvds, are using improper naming for the install packages... and the way that osx install and keep record of what has been installed, is the reason...

think of it like this: os x is consisted of many packages, in certain hierarchy... and when you install an update, it updates correct sections... for example, you have files named 1-2-3... and they belong to package A, when you update the 1-2-3 file, package A's database has to be udpated as well... but in your Leo4all the name of that package A is something else, ok? like Z! when the database being requested to be updated, obviously, A will not be found, therefore A database will not be updated... System will check new files from the database of Z bcoz in your modified install the files are belonging to database Z, but original update tries to update original database which is A, so when they dont match, system will think those files have wrong permissions or specs like that... what happens if you dont fix it? Nothing major happens (apart from some certain files like login), bcoz system will still be able to use them... is there a fix for this?

there is definetely a fix for this, and it is just the name of the database needs to be changed, however, this will require changing original names all the time! Which means, some work needed for every different dvd taht uses non-original names!...

the fix is very easy... however a bit of work, for every different package name used dvd...

really cool explination ;( thanks for ur time

so how come leo4all does it then? is it gonna be fixed on leo4all v4..the beta as it all ready?

well, i dont do the leo4all or iatkos or any other release that is using different names for main stuffs... i can guess it is easy to wrap up everything in one package, but than apple is not using it that way... so either way, it is the building guys' fault using different names... those suid errors can be fixed, but like i said, needs a bit of work, not that hard to figure out... :wacko:

Hi Mysticus C*

I am new to this staff. I start playing with OSx86 tree weeks ago. Successfully Installed Kaly 10.5.2 on My

D975XBX2 board, now I would like to upgrade to version 10.5.4 but where are the trumpet button?.

I don't see them nowhere in this thread.

Thanks.