ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

I have the same problem as Ed, and everything works (now) under linux (I'm using SourceMage, a source based distro). However, in the previous releases of the alsa driver you had to do:

echo "7a 2090" > /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs

to make it work. See http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.p...9&forum_id=1752 for a complete discussion. Hope it helps...

Anyway it's nice to see the development going on! Keep up the good work. I didn't have time to look at the code yet ;)

Actually, that just might help. What device ID do you guys have?

And for the record, I'm still working on fixing the kernel panics problem, people. It's just an eternal process because it's impossible to find out what went wrong. If you guys have an actual trace of your kernel panics, please write it down and let me know!

I found out what was hosing the hell out of my system... it was some code insertined in

CLASS::startDMAEngine. according to the comment it resets the dma before running but for some reason on my system it would just hang. here is the code

// Reset DMA before running
   regs->write(dma->linkPointerOffset, 0);
regs->write(dma->linkPointerOffset, dma->ringBufferAddr | ATI_REG_LINKPTR_EN);

so if anyone's system is crashing due to the new builds just comment those 2 lines out and it should run. unless it is something more seriuos

Actually, that just might help. What device ID do you guys have?

And for the record, I'm still working on fixing the kernel panics problem, people. It's just an eternal process because it's impossible to find out what went wrong. If you guys have an actual trace of your kernel panics, please write it down and let me know!

I'm using a msi s270 laptop, chip is 4370

I found out what was hosing the hell out of my system... it was some code insertined in

CLASS::startDMAEngine. according to the comment it resets the dma before running but for some reason on my system it would just hang. here is the code

// Reset DMA before running
   regs->write(dma->linkPointerOffset, 0);
regs->write(dma->linkPointerOffset, dma->ringBufferAddr | ATI_REG_LINKPTR_EN);

so if anyone's system is crashing due to the new builds just comment those 2 lines out and it should run. unless it is something more seriuos

Uhhh, dude... Those two lines are the lines that I put in that fix the latency issue. :P

davey boy, you may be suffering from the same problem that I am. I have no sound, but the hardware works. There is an inverter that needs to be fired, but we haven't integrated that into the code yet. (This is according to research we've done on the linux end.) So hopefully after that patch is rolled into our code we'll have sound.

-ed

I think if you look at the source for the intel ICH ATA IDE drivers there is an example where there is an exception where a certain version has a different address for a register, and it uses some way to detect the subvendor ID.

i thionk the way to do it is to look up the subvendor ID and then do an if check on that.

using the code from burty (post 366) i added in the fix just as a do it thing (not if checked) and so far there is nothing different except that now, Instead of hearing a pop on the speakers, I am hearing the pop come out of the microphone port (using headphones.)

I'm gonna see if there's something else that needs to change that I missed.

bob2600 (rob)

In this Forum please see Page 19 post #366 and try burty89 ATIAppleAC97Audio_5.zip compiled version as I found this version does not crash or get kernal panics but only minor echo bug but work very well with iTunes and I have test this version for an hours and haven't got a crash or kernal panics...

When you unzip this file and make sure the Finder view is in list mode so that you can easily find and move AppleAC97Audio.kext to your System/Extensions folder and don't forget to do "sudo chown -R root:wheel" and "sudo chmod -R 755" on AppleAC97Audio.kext...

Edit

Make sure the device ID in AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioATIIXP.kext/Contents/info.plist is 0x4370

If your soundcard is not 0x4370 then find out what is your southbridge and use that device ID..

RePost from Page 15 post #290

4341 IXP150

4370 SB400 (IXP 200)

437b SB450

4382 SB600

Edit

Make sure the device ID in AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioATIIXP.kext/Contents/info.plist is 0x4370

If your soundcard is not 0x4370 then find out what is your southbridge and use that device ID..

RePost from Page 15 post #290

4341 IXP150

4370 SB400 (IXP 200)

437b SB450

4382 SB600

The kext I built uses the info.plist file from the post on page 15 which is meant to have all device IDs inside. I only have the one system using this driver so I cant test that it works with different device IDs, but in theory it should...

BTW, I havent had chance to mess with the audio repeating issue yet but I will later tonight.