ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

Hold the phone, my system just crashed *laughs* It may or may not be perfect yet.

Yep, definitely a regression. I'm going to go back to the version I posted earlier and apply what I just learned and re-test. I tried a lot of things attempting to fix the latency which could've made the kernel panics start up again.

This version should take the best from v. 1.0.1 and v. 1.0.2 - that is, codec detection fixed, kernel panics fixed, AND latency issues fixed. Again, there is a powersaving and a non-powersaving version. I'd test it more, but my flip4mac install just got completely hosed by the kernel panics from the previous version :D and reinstalling it didn't help. I'll have to work that out soon, my favorite audio stream is only in WMA format.

AppleAC97AudioATIIXP_1.0.3_withoutpowersaving.zip

AppleAC97AudioATIIXP_1.0.3_withpowersaving.zip

This version should take the best from v. 1.0.1 and v. 1.0.2 - that is, codec detection fixed, kernel panics fixed, AND latency issues fixed. Again, there is a powersaving and a non-powersaving version. I'd test it more, but my flip4mac install just got completely hosed by the kernel panics from the previous version :) and reinstalling it didn't help. I'll have to work that out soon, my favorite audio stream is only in WMA format.

You guys totally rock! I don't have sound (yet) but I thought I'd just give you all a huge thumbs up for your work.

Dopefish, what motherboard do you have? Just want to compare with mine. Thanks!

dopefishlives

I got a same laptop as you, but as of now i am using dv5000z the follow up series of zv6000. I got it as a loaneer as i was stupid to mod the bios of my zv6000 and load it unsuccessfully. my zv6000 is in the show. thanks for the update ill try it later.

I just compiled the latest code from thedopefishlives (the one without powersaving) and I get sound, but only for a few minutes before the system grinds to a halt (can't even move cursor). Then I hear a split second of audio every few seconds and thats all... The system stays dead...

I'd help but I only know c#/pascal and never messed with drivers so I don't think I'd be much use... So, instead I'm posting here to ask if anyones had any progress with the system freezes.

BTW, this is on a compaq presario V5120EU laptop using Conexant AC-Link audio.

EDIT: It seems to work fine if I keep the volume low???

EDIT 2: Nevermind, it locked up again, just took a little longer that time...

Heh, 02 works better for you, 03 works better for me. :angel: WTF is going on?!

At any rate, Tariq, the fix for latency is the same between the two builds. I just modified some other stuff in 1.0.2 that I put back in 1.0.3, since it worked better on my machine that way. The fix is the three lines I added in startDMAEngine() before the lines with

dma->interruptReady = true;

OK I've been messing around with this and I'm pretty sure that the problems in the power saving code. Why? Well, because I commented out the rest of it (not just the one method like in thedopefishlives file) and now I've been playing music in iTunes for about half an hour without problem.

I haven't looked into whats wrong with the powersaving code because I think that'd be better left to someone who understands it better than me, this isn't my programming language...

However, I have attached the cpp file I modified so that you can see what I did and find out if it works on other machines. If it does, you now know what part of the code is wrong :blink: If not, sorry for wasting your time.

AppleAC97AudioATIIXP.cpp.txt

Andras, go into the code and replace all instances of "DebugLog" with "IOLog". Recompile, reboot, and when your sound stops again, grab your logfile and attach it to a post.

Interesting, sound stop occure only when palying first song, first time, if I quit iTunes and tray again, sound stop not occure.....

I compiled 1.0.3 without powersaving, but results same..........

I think this is a litle bug I happy with my notebook sound......... :blink:

OK I've been messing around with this and I'm pretty sure that the problems in the power saving code. Why? Well, because I commented out the rest of it (not just the one method like in thedopefishlives file) and now I've been playing music in iTunes for about half an hour without problem.

I haven't looked into whats wrong with the powersaving code because I think that'd be better left to someone who understands it better than me, this isn't my programming language...

However, I have attached the cpp file I modified so that you can see what I did and find out if it works on other machines. If it does, you now know what part of the code is wrong :hysterical: If not, sorry for wasting your time.

Burty, fabulous work. :) I don't know what's wrong with the power saving code either, it was literally a direct copy-and-paste from Ed and scousi's original code. I do have to say, though, that my laptop uses the powersaving version and runs for hours at a time without any problems.

Seems it wasn't such fabulous work... It worked fine for a couple of hours but then it locked up again...

EDIT: Have just commented out every call to DebugLog & IOLog, maybe silly maybe not I don't know much about driver development, but I figure if its calling it repeatedly too many times maybe it could cause problems. I've got music playing now, will see how long it lasts...

EDIT 2: Nah, thats not it...

EDIT 3: Now I've commented out the counts of how many times readCodec and writeCodec are called, I'm not sure if they are called often but if they are then surely the counts will eventually become too high to be stored in a UInt32. Anyway, the counts don't seem to be used anywhere so I've commented them out and commented out the lines that increment them.

EDIT 4: Nah, thats not it either...