ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

in case someone wants a working build (pre-1, before 6 channel stuff was added) for 10.4.7

Does audio still crash after about an hour or so?? It seems to be doing that for me. 0.2 and 0.3 crash alot on boot time for me as well. We have the same device. (4341)

burty, it does to me.

I can't paste the logs because of a terminal accident wile I was substituting the .kext (rm -r /System BING! ;)).

I remember the last lines before it complained concerned AppleACPIplatform, AppleAPIC and IOAPCIFamily.

Edit: my device id is 4370

On my system I only got crashes after using the system for a while and checking the value of getDMApointerwhatever (don't remember the name now...) sorted that problem.

As for the audio looping, I've tried various things including replacing the getDMA* method with the one from the VIA driver (changed of course, commented out in the source on page 19) and other things like increasing the ring buffer size (doubled it) and nothing seems to solve the problem...

On my system I only got crashes after using the system for a while and checking the value of getDMApointerwhatever (don't remember the name now...) sorted that problem.

As for the audio looping, I've tried various things including replacing the getDMA* method with the one from the VIA driver (changed of course, commented out in the source on page 19) and other things like increasing the ring buffer size (doubled it) and nothing seems to solve the problem...

maybe where going about this the wrong way, maybe we should clear the DMA

I did try calling out_flush_dma(regs); when the return value was going to be greater than the size of the ring buffer (I assumed that would mean there was no sound left to play) but I just got no audio at all when I tried that...

I have a build that appears to be stable. I've been running it for a few days and have not had any repeatable kernel panics. I had one at the beginning of my test run, which is why I haven't released it yet - not to mention chrs's report that the patch which fixes latency issues on my chipset appears to cause panics on his. <_< More testing, more plugging away, and if it stays golden I'll release it.

I have a build that appears to be stable. I've been running it for a few days and have not had any repeatable kernel panics. I had one at the beginning of my test run, which is why I haven't released it yet - not to mention chrs's report that the patch which fixes latency issues on my chipset appears to cause panics on his. <_< More testing, more plugging away, and if it stays golden I'll release it.

dope burt dma pointer fixed the but now i have a looping issue, i am not blaming you or trying to insult you. i admit i own wierd chipset. i mean my chipset i can have 6 channel audio with out the spdif. it uses the normal jacks for 6 channel audio as well. i am sorry if i seem to come off a jerk off.

No, no, you're not being a jerk, it just sucks that what fixes a problem for me screws you. :P The problem with burty's "fix" is that it's not entirely correct. I think this new version has correct behavior that eliminates the looping, but those two lines are still in there. As far as SPDIF support, the Linux driver has essentially two different code paths for that. Heh. <_< However, 6-channel analog *should*, theoretically, work "out of the box".

No, no, you're not being a jerk, it just sucks that what fixes a problem for me screws you. :P The problem with burty's "fix" is that it's not entirely correct. I think this new version has correct behavior that eliminates the looping, but those two lines are still in there. As far as SPDIF support, the Linux driver has essentially two different code paths for that. Heh. <_< However, 6-channel analog *should*, theoretically, work "out of the box".

is there a way i can get an early release of this so called new release (i dk if you say no)., also were working with apple software with unsupported hardware here nothing works "out of tthe box" :-P

The problem with burty's "fix" is that it's not entirely correct.

I never claimed it was entirely correct, it was just me trying to stop my system from locking up every 20 minutes or so, which my "fix" accomplished (with looping...)

chrs got a copy for testing purposes. I haven't released it because I'm still kinda testing it myself, ;) but since I haven't heard back from him about it, I'm going to release it later today.

Will it work with the 4341 sound controller? All of your pervious ones kp at boot except and pre 01 crashes still about an hour to two hours into boot :-/