ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

Has anyone gotten a KP (kernel panic) with their hardware and the sound drivers in linux? We should make up a list of all the hardware configurations that work in linux with what build (live cd's) and then maybe we'll have to write custom versions for each version. It appears that even though these all share the same device ID, they are in fact wired differently.

Errrrrrrrr to KP's and their ability to not leave debugging information.

-ed

The driver work perfectly for me since i ahve my laptop (aug 2004). I think i never got any kernel panic at all on this laptop (at the exeption of my own kernel branch that is was making myself for fix my touchpad (never worked more tham 10 sec, i am too bad coder for do this kind of things) , i dont need it since 2.6.14 :) ).

Interesting, I haven't figured out the sound issue yet OldSkool. I'm gonna try burty's build and see if that fixes it.

Yeah, the popping is normal. It reminds of when i have my guitar amp turned up and i pull the guitar cable out and it makes a pop. I also notice the pop happens when I have headphones plugged in also.

I have some ideas on changing the output channel, I just hope that there's not some quirk in our hardware that requires us to initialize something else. Out of curiosity, have you tried any flavors of linux on it, and gotten it to work? If so, then we may able to see if that code has any specific code related to a subvendor ID that is common to both our laptops.

-ed

I just updated to 10.4.7 (working great, thanks Jas/Dax)

and changed this in AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily</key>

<string>1.1d25</string>

working fine...

Dope I have also noticed that if I change any code in any other directory (like IOAC97Family) I always get link/load error... try the compile command I gave earlier.. it works fine with you package.

Can you post the latest version of your code compiled Please?? It seems to work best with my lappy id 4341..same as you

Thanks!!

Is anyone else here besides me and Oldskool using Ebay or Gateway laptops with the SB400 Chipset and 4370 sound and linux? If so, have you gotten any linux distro working? And if you did, can you post what build or a link to where we can download it to test it? Thanks, that would be most excellent for figuring out this problem.

-ed

Most live disks weren't giving me sound, but i've found that the Slax does (at least the KillBill edition).

Might be of some help

every live-cd will work if you write modprobe atiixp in root terminal

some live-cd fail to detect hardware, mepis too will detect it, but ubuntu, knoppix and some other will not

I think there may be some sort of external amp line that needs to be muted in order for the sound to work on our hardware. I've been surfing some linux forums and that seems to be the solution. Now to see where that can be done. I'll have to wait until tonight to get start as I'm at work and my lappy isn't with me.

-ed

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=377583 for more info

Well, Mepis did work after turning off the external amplifier. So, now how to get to that in OSX or does it have to be turned off in the driver source ?

Edit:

Found this whilst searching for a solution:

Sound is kinda strange, it uses alsa ati-ixp drivers, and for me I was scratching my head for a while as everything appeared to be working but now sound was coming out. (using alsa 1.0.9b external to kernel). Mixers etc appeared fine. Finally I plugged in an Amp to the headphones and got sound... albeit quite soft. Turns out that due to undocumented functions in the ac97 codec portion of the atiixp drivers that the internal speakers get turned off. Searching the alsa mailing list resulted in a good thread discussing it, and that there were some simple patches commit ed to cvs. With this in mind I gr abed the lattest 1.0.10-rc2 alsa libs and drivers and compiled them... Everything worked as it should with this. Note at time of writing these were not in portage so you will need to grab them from the alsa-project homepage

Also on this page talks about Turn on inverted external amplifier sense flags for a few 'special' boards.

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/snd_RELEN...060429_106.diff

Another edit:

hooked up speakers into the headphones port, you do get audio witht he speakers turned all the way up, but you have to put it to your ear to hear it.

I too have a gateway laptop (7510) with the popping instead of sound...I have had Kanotix release 2005-04 and Mepis 6 rc2 working without any console tinkering. All other builds I have tried required messing around with alsa stuff....if its of any use....

I am constantly nuking and reloading various partitions on this thing, if you need a build tested or hw info from a certain build, be happy to help...

nick

I have the same problem as Ed, and everything works (now) under linux (I'm using SourceMage, a source based distro). However, in the previous releases of the alsa driver you had to do:

echo "7a 2090" > /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs

to make it work. See http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.p...9&forum_id=1752 for a complete discussion. Hope it helps...

Anyway it's nice to see the development going on! Keep up the good work. I didn't have time to look at the code yet ;)