Love Your Hackintosh? Pay The Man!

13 posts in this topic

For all you elite BSD hackers and noobs who've freed yourself from the grips of Bill Gates, let's show Apple we can still "do the right thing." EULA's don't really mean much to me, but I would still like to hear and talk from people who have a Hackintosh, Hack Pro, Hackbook, whatever you want to call it, that still went out and purchased a legitimate copy of Mac OS X to show their support to the Cupertino company.

Are you still freeloading the entire thing from torrents, or did you find a heart at your local Apple store?

Their EULA doesn't mean anything in the USA? Can you please explain that?

I may go buy a legitimate copy to support them, but frankly I am probably going to get a real mac in a year or so anyway. I am trying out OSX86 as an experimental thing for now. So far so good, but the amount of time I have spent tweaking my system, I could almost justify a real Mac. Actually the big problem I have is that Apple needs to release true mid-tier machines, Core Duo Quads in the sub-2000 dollar range. Then a lot of people would probably buy those instead of messing around with all this hacking. The iMac's are just not quite enough juice for many of us and a loaded up MacPro costs a fortune that most of us simply can't justify.

but if I end up using this hackintosh for a long time, then I agree, pay for the license and I probably will...though I would feel a lot better if Apple didn't make it so bloody hard for us to keep up with our hackintoshes.

well their EULA tries to tell me in no uncertian terms that I can't use it on anything aside from apple hardware. To the best of my knowledge that's a monopoly, and as we all saw with Microshaft, it's not legal here. Now Apple isn't doing anything to prevent me from "fixing" thier OS to run on any hardware, so I doubt they'll be getting sued over it any time soon, and since they legally can't force me to use their overpriced hardware... I won't. That's all I meant.

I have purchased every Operating System I have ever installed/used. Ranging from XP Pro to Mac OS X Server.

I have a Mac Book Pro but for me it is a challenge to figure out how to make my PC laptop work as well as my Mac Book Pro and that is fun.

I have a Mac Mini as my Media Center (Mrs Stjohn calls it the $1000 DVD player). I got the Leopard Family Pack to upgrade it, and for the extra $40 or so, you get to upgrade/install on 5 machines total. As for running on Apple hardware, they can go screw. I've got a Mac USB keyboard plugged into the thing, so I figure that counts.