10.5.3 problems

Embio

12 posts in this topic

10.5.3 has introduced some problems for me, wondering how its going for other people.

- looping on shutdown

- crashing on wake

- spaces keeps the window in the same place when moving between them, and then it disappears

Macbook as in my sig.... hows everyone else getting on?

I'm seeing faster boot times, faster shutdown times, generally speedier and snappier overall, the RAW Camera Update and/or the 10.5.3 update has magically made my photo library jump out at me with much better color and much more depth in almost all my photos. I have not seen any issues on my update, but I've not yet played with everything so, maybe more to come.... I'm pretty happy overall

Update: checked Spaces and all seems to work perfectly. Time Machine is acting normal, able to switch back and forth between drives and Parallels and VMWare Fusion both seem to be working fine...

After my update, my MacBook went into a start-up loop where instead of an Apple, it had a folder with a ? in it. And when I switch through the Spaces, Finder is automatically in focus as opposed to the program in that space. And I don't really see any speed difference or anything. Any way to downgrade back to 5.2? I'm not really feeling 5.3 much.

In 20 years of mac usage I have never had so MANY probelsm with an OS update as 10.5.3. In 24 hours I have had :

1. Would not restart after the install, a power management reset, then reset the PRAM, the permissions repaired.

2. 18 Application freezes (Final Cut Pro, Firefox, Mail...)

3. OS slowing to a crawl several times requiring 4 restarts.

4. Unexpected restart at 2:00AM.

Welcome to the next day. I would wait and see if there is a problem. Since I have never had an update problem I was never gun shy to update, I guess maybe I need to be now! :hysterical:

Great tip on repairing permission, I had already tried it first (forgot to mention that but added it in after an edit above). I started with a Power management reset then I reset the PRAM. Finally I repaired permissions (twice). Last thing I can check is disc integrity but my install disc is scratched so I'll need to try and repair it now.

Spaces is funky as well (I see it noted above). It does not always respond to key commands.

I am running a g5, 1.9ghz I wonder if it's a "g" thing?

Also, I am not so sure where you say this is "isolated..". there is already a thread on problems and the relase is 24 hours old? Let's see how big the thread gets before we pass judgment on stability. I have never had a problem with an update so obvious as this one. The update caused it, I can see it and I can assure you of that. To wit: the machine had been stable (no crashes or unexpected required restarts except for OS and application installs) for 84 days. I know this because I have a windows buddy who claims Vista is stable and we track this. Needless to say, I am winning... by a lot. Until now, do I fess up?

This is the first update since I've got my MBP that, it totally F_cked my system up. After installation via Software Update went to restart. . which is normal. Waited for a bit as it can take rather long after an update. 20 minutes later still not inside OS X.

Reboot.. 20 mins later nothing. System restore.. manual download the update same results

Fresh install, update, success...

oi vey

This is the first update since I've got my MBP that, it totally F_cked my system up. After installation via Software Update went to restart. . which is normal. Waited for a bit as it can take rather long after an update. 20 minutes later still not inside OS X.

Reboot.. 20 mins later nothing. System restore.. manual download the update same results

Fresh install, update, success...

oi vey

I had the exact same problem! It totally owned my night. I found out that my time machine update wouldnt work either, I don't know why. So I had to reinstall. First time since getting my macbook. Permissions, PRAM cleared, nothing helped.

All greetings! I have a problem after updating to 10.5.3 release.

Driver hd3650 normally worked under 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 under it installs, but when open the context menu - not visible menu items - all white.

not sure if it is related to 10.5.3 only beacause, i didnt spend much time with HUDs in 10.5.2 ... anyhow, when in an app that is HUD enabled, if you click onto another app, the HUD enabled app will NOT hide behind the app you clicked, it will always stay on top.. this problem, has led me to restore default resources folders to all programs, that i use WITH the exception of the shutdown/logout/forcequit/restart/ect... i left all these alone beings as how these particular apps, do not require me to hide them. anyhow, idk if this problem of mine, pertains to 10.5.3 or not, just stating it.