[HOW TO] Install Darwine on 10.4.5

johnniecarcinogen

90 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install Darwine 0.9.9 in 10.4.4, but I keep getting this message!

err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

I figured it out!

I opened xterm and typed this!

DISPLAY=:0.0; export DISPLAY

I got it to install, but I still get some small problems.

EDIT:For some reason I hit a configure window for Darwine that crashed and now Darwine refuses to configure! I get the same message as before! :)

EDIT: So apperantly Darwine is configured it just doesn't work!

Same happened here but the command on XTERM was a no go...

Same happened here but the command on XTERM was a no go...

Yea.... I've been trying all morning to do that again, but for some reason it only worked once.

Darwine is configured and running so I think that the command only works once with a fresh install.

Did you already have Darwine cinfigured on your computer?

Yeah... when I try to install x11 on my mac it says a newer version is already installed on my computer. great. I have no idea what to do, and also when i open a .exe (with darwine installed, im not THAT stupid) it says the file is not supported on this architecture :D . Call me a newb whatever i don't care, just please HELP! Just wondering... There is a circle with a line through it (I forget what those are called) on the WineHelper's icon... Is that supposed to be there?

P.S. You can probably guess im new to macs. You'd be right! A former windows geek fresh from the oven!

Yeah... when I try to install x11 on my mac it says a newer version is already installed on my computer. great. I have no idea what to do, and also when i open a .exe (with darwine installed, im not THAT stupid) it says the file is not supported on this architecture :D . Call me a newb whatever i don't care, just please HELP! Just wondering... There is a circle with a line through it (I forget what those are called) on the WineHelper's icon... Is that supposed to be there?

P.S. You can probably guess im new to macs. You'd be right! A former windows geek fresh from the oven!

you may have downloaded and installed the PPC Darwine rather than the x86 Darwine.

my icon for wine helper is a platypus or some other strange animal without the circle and a line (which i guess is a 'do not' symbol?)

you may have downloaded and installed the PPC Darwine rather than the x86 Darwine.

my icon for wine helper is a platypus or some other strange animal without the circle and a line (which i guess is a 'do not' symbol?)

Yeah, the 'do not' symbol sounds right...

I click on the x86 Darwine but strangely enogu h the power pc darwine flashes or something like i clicked it... But it says its an, "Application (intel)" it has the extension .app. Does this help?

Yeah, the 'do not' symbol sounds right...

I click on the x86 Darwine but strangely enogu h the power pc darwine flashes or something like i clicked it... But it says its an, "Application (intel)" it has the extension .app. Does this help?

yeah, thats the right one...

did you put the entire Darwine folder in your Applications folder? also make sure you didn't take winehelper out of the Darwine folder.

I have no idea why you have the weird icon and you are getting the 'archetecture' error. anyone else have any ideas?

picture25fw.png can you post an image of your icon? (windows key+shift+4)

yeah, thats the right one...

did you put the entire Darwine folder in your Applications folder? also make sure you didn't take winehelper out of the Darwine folder.

I have no idea why you have the weird icon and you are getting the 'archetecture' error. anyone else have any ideas?

picture25fw.png can you post an image of your icon? (windows key+shift+4)

windows key... on a windows comp, the windows key bring up the 'start' menu. It doesn't act like the 'apple' key on a mac. The windows 'apple' key would be 'ctrl'. But seeing that the icons on my mac not my pc, lets try apple shift 4. Nope. all i get is this crosshair type cursor. when i click nothing happens. when i hold it and slelect the icon, all i hear is this cruppling sound. nothing. If i'm overthinking this, (which i usually do) please help me clear things up... So how do i get the icon on here? itsd just the platypus hodling a glass of wine with a white 'do not' sign over it. Also, when i click on it it says, and i quote, "You cannot open the application "WineHelper" because it is not supported on this architcure." Now that could mean anything from wrong OS entirely, or just the whole 'Tiger' and 'Panther' thing with macs. WOW LONG REPLY!

To answer your other quesion, yes the Darwine folder is entirely in the apps folder and winehelper is n the darwine folder. Wait, arent i supposed to have the x11 thing? cuz when i try to install it it says i have a newer version already...

windows key... on a windows comp, the windows key bring up the 'start' menu. It doesn't act like the 'apple' key on a mac. The windows 'apple' key would be 'ctrl'. But seeing that the icons on my mac not my pc, lets try apple shift 4. Nope. all i get is this crosshair type cursor. when i click nothing happens. when i hold it and slelect the icon, all i hear is this cruppling sound. nothing. If i'm overthinking this, (which i usually do) please help me clear things up... So how do i get the icon on here? itsd just the platypus hodling a glass of wine with a white 'do not' sign over it. Also, when i click on it it says, and i quote, "You cannot open the application "WineHelper" because it is not supported on this architcure." Now that could mean anything from wrong OS entirely, or just the whole 'Tiger' and 'Panther' thing with macs. WOW LONG REPLY!

To answer your other quesion, yes the Darwine folder is entirely in the apps folder and winehelper is n the darwine folder. Wait, arent i supposed to have the x11 thing? cuz when i try to install it it says i have a newer version already...

i have an apple keyboard and my apple key acts like a windows key on windows so i assumed the windows key acted like an apple key on os x. ( :guitar: i hope i said that right) anyway, when you hear that camera shutter sound after holding and selecting an area a pic should be saved to the desktop. but seeing the icon isn't really that important, i was just curious.

check and see if you have do have x11 in the Applications/Utilities folder. if you are trying to install the downloaded one try the one on your install disc instead (/System/Installation/Packages/ X11User.pkg) or vice vera. IF it still wont let you install it you can use 'pacifist' to install it by right clicking and opening the .pkg with pacifst (after you install pacifist ofcourse).

if you do have X11 installed and you stll get the 'architecure' error, redownload Darwine double cheking that it is the x86 and not the PPC one since you said when you chose the x86 the ppc highlighted. the correct Darwine file looks like :

picture10ii.png

EDIT: if you reinstall delete the hidden .wine folder in your home folder. in terminal (without changing directories):

sudo rm -R .wine

i have an apple keyboard and my apple key acts like a windows key on windows so i assumed the windows key acted like an apple key on os x. ( :lol: i hope i said that right) anyway, when you hear that camera shutter sound after holding and selecting an area a pic should be saved to the desktop. but seeing the icon isn't really that important, i was just curious.

check and see if you have do have x11 in the Applications/Utilities folder. if you are trying to install the downloaded one try the one on your install disc instead (/System/Installation/Packages/ X11User.pkg) or vice vera. IF it still wont let you install it you can use 'pacifist' to install it by right clicking and opening the .pkg with pacifst (after you install pacifist ofcourse).

if you do have X11 installed and you stll get the 'architecure' error, redownload Darwine double cheking that it is the x86 and not the PPC one since you said when you chose the x86 the ppc highlighted. the correct Darwine file looks like : picture10ii.png

Ok first things first, when i try to insert a picture it asks for the URL, and unless i can use that to place it from my comp and not imageshack (what your using) then i can, i just need to know what to type (its on my desktop) If imageshack is easy then ill still need an explanation n how to do it. I understand, im curious too.

Okay, next. That is the Darwine file i was using to install. (the x86 version)

Next! I do not see anything named x11 in my utilities folder. however i do see it on my install disc and am installing it now-- its done! yay! Now to test darwine. Nope, it says the same architecture thing. {censored}!!!

on a side note, i opened the wine.bundle thing with X11 and at first it sayed an error occured, i tried again and it opened. Of course there was no text, just the name of the comp and the blinking cursor that commands you to type. I did what you said in your edit, cuz i thoguht i would try to reinstall darwine. Well, my computer likes mocking me. Heres what it said after i typed it: (*note* i AM the admin of this comp)

We trust you have recieved the usual lecture from the local administrator. It usuallty boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password: (*note* I do know the password, but no letters come up as i type! when i press enter:)

Sorry, try again.

Password: (I do the same thing, I can't think of anything else to try so i press enter)

rm: .wine: no such file or directory

So, my own mac hates my guts and appearently can't recognise its own admin. great. Any help you can give me?

if you use imageshack.us - upload the file from your desktop and then it will give you some links, at the bottom is the 'direct link to image' that is the url you use on this forum. copy and paste.

the password is the one you used when you installed os x. which version of os x are you using?

EDIT: you shouldn't try running 'winehelper' or the wine.bundle. when you double click on a Windows .exe Darwine automatically starts. also you'll definately need your password inorder to do the steps on the first post.

Tiger, OS X 10.4.5

Thanks for the imageshack info!

EDIT: I DO know my password!!! It didn't show any letters or numbers when i typed, however the 'return' key was working nicely... When I click on Pivot.exe, it says it has the architecture problem only it doesnt say "WineHelper" it says "".

Well i can try, but ill have to go to imageshack and do it. Ill post when i get it done.

here we go, this is a picture of the winehelper icon and the two error messages. I hope these help.

picture11ai.png

picture22qm.png

picture46wr.png

EDIT: Pivot didn't work huh? That really bites... maybe it could be fixed, I won't give up until I try it for myself, and even then ill keep trying on the updates. But it's a fun little program if you do have a windows machine. Agh, I'm getting off topic. PM me to get info on where to get the better version.

EDIT: Remember when you posted to type in this code in the terminal to get rid of some file thats hidden before you reinstall darwine? Well ive been trying to run the code on your first tut, the first post. its not working becuase its not figuring out the root for the contents folder even though i type it exactly as you typed it. maybe i should reinstall Darwine to replace that hidden file? Okay, before I go any further, i need to make sure im not on crack. Did someone say something about that? I'm going to try reinstalling Darwine anyway... if it works ill post. if it doesnt ill post.

*sigh* It still doesn't work. I've looked at some other people having the architecture problem and its appearently just what it says-- it could be a screw up and there could be a work around, but right now its not meant to run on my system appearently...

if anyone has this same problem and finds a workaround id like to know!

BTW, which keys on a normal keyboard are shift+apple+G?

Cheers,

FullMetal

On a normal keyboard:

Apple = Command [cmd] is the 'Alt' key. It overtaken almost known 'Ctrl' functions in Windows

Option [opt] is the 'Windows' key

Control is 'Ctrl' key, but in MacOS this functions are not major

On a normal keyboard:

Apple = Command [cmd] is the 'Alt' key. It overtaken almost known 'Ctrl' functions in Windows

Option [opt] is the 'Windows' key

Control is 'Ctrl' key, but in MacOS this functions are not major

Yes. The control key in macOS X is rarely used, except for right-clicking on something. If you see on a mac prgram a function for 'apple+shift+g' The windows equivelant would be one of two things:

Ctrl+shift+g,

or Ctrl+alt+g.

The 'windows' key on a normal keyboard simply opens up the 'start' menu.

Hi, what does this mean? Does Darwine work on 10.4.3?

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/tmp/wine_root/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt

Referenced from: /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/libwine.1.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

I tried Notepad.exe

I (think i) figured out my problem! On the Darwine page in the 'downloads' section, it says its for 10.3 OS X (panther) I dont have a panther Mac I have Tiger, 10.4. Thats what it means when it says 'architecture'. So I'll have to wait for a Tiger version to come out. So, apearrently Darwine does NOT work on 10.4 Macs.

I (think i) figured out my problem! On the Darwine page in the 'downloads' section, it says its for 10.3 OS X (panther) I dont have a panther Mac I have Tiger, 10.4. Thats what it means when it says 'architecture'. So I'll have to wait for a Tiger version to come out. So, apearrently Darwine does NOT work on 10.4 Macs.

I am running Darwine right now in 10.4.4!

Sounds to me like you downloaded the wrong file.

Download this one!

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/darwine...10.dmg?download

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:~ cristian$ sudo -s

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:~ root# cd /tmp

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:/tmp root# mkdir wine_root

mkdir: wine_root: File exists

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:/tmp root# cd /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents root# cp -R lib /tmp/wine_root

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents root# cp -R share /tmp/wine_root cd /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin

cp: cd: No such file or directory

ordenador-de-cristian-fraser-carranza:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents root# sudo ./winecfg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3880/imagen18zx.png

. _.

plz tell me step by step what to do plz ><

PS: i've installed x11 from the macosx DVD maaaany times . _., and still not working

*sigh* I have figured it out. I should never have conme here. The x86 doesnt work because its not the right architecture. As in its like trying to run a .exe on a mac. NOT COMPATABLE.

However, the Power PC version works. The only problem is the Power Pc version doesnt run exe's. That was the problem. Problem fixed, yet another problem rose. Bye.