New iMacs

nils82

16 posts in this topic

Apple brings an update to iMacs yet with no HD or Blu-ray support also I doubt if Apple has improved their LCD specs.

I'd say I'm not impressed.

Specifications for the basic iMac 24"

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (NEW)

2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3 (NEW)

500GB Serial ATA Drive

Apple Mighty Mouse

Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

Accessory kit

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

24-inch glossy widescreen LCD

AirPort Extreme

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Wow, at least here in Europe they've really become more affordable!

€999 - 1299 - 1599 - 1919

I like it....

I would be interested to see which FireWire chips are in there, because the previous ones weren't very good...

I am also rather disappointed. Some better specs, but if you want the real decent ones you must spend a whopping Eur 1,919.00 (3,001.73 USD) for the 24", 3.06GHz model. And you still get 2GB RAM, less than most medium priced laptops.

On the other hand the upgrades are now cheaper, but you can't get the GeForce 8800 with a 20" model (which is IMO the most annoying limitation).

Specifications for the basic iMac 24"

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (NEW)....................................

nils82

Those are not the specs for the basic model, those are the specs for the top model.

Are you kidding me? These specs are more than good. The imac is basically a compact power mac now with exception to the expandability. (512 mb graphics card, 1066 FSB just to name a few) And you're whining about LCD, HD and blueray which quite frankly aren't even important in terms of the overall computer and every day usage. If you need that extra baggage, and have to have your eye candy while watching star wars..etc its called buy a monitor for the imac and an external blue ray drive or get something meant for that kind of worK; graphics workstation, powermac..etc

Are you kidding me? These specs are more than good. The imac is basically a compact power mac now with exception to the expandability.

Yeah, for a mere 1,919.00 EUR (3,001.73 USD)!

A Mac Pro with one Xeon quad-core (which should be plenty) is Eur 2.049,00! (and no, I definitely don't need the built in monitor).

The fact that the cheapest one now has a 2.4 Ghz Penryn 6mb Cache chip that's faster than the old 2.4 Ghz Merom chip is pretty impressive...

The 2.4 Ghz Penryn has 3MB cache, AFAIK.

Yeah, for a mere 1,919.00 EUR (3,001.73 USD)!

I think the normal user doesn't need all that power. The 999€ model is just great. Or if you want a 24" model, then at just 1599 you have the right one.

Anybody needs to use bluray, anybody needs that much space in the HD. If someone does, then there's the BTO option, or there's Time Capsule.

But honestly, I'm running quite well with a MacBook Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB of RAM and 60 GB of HDD. I don't really understand what do you guys want.

More than 2 GB of RAM, you say? Who the hell needs more than 2 GB of RAM? Just 1 fits beautifully with most of all applications that you need.

The 2.4 Ghz Penryn has 3MB cache, AFAIK.

It's true, but it seems that new iMacs are powered by the still-to-be-introduced Intel Montevina processors.

Sherry Haibara

I think the normal user doesn't need all that power. The 999€ model is just great.

That model has just 1GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 2400.

But honestly, I'm running quite well with a MacBook Core Duo 2 ghz, 2 GB of RAM and 60 GB of HDD. I don't really understand what do you guys want.

More than 2 GB of RAM, you say? Who the hell needs more than 2 GB of RAM? Just 1 fits beautifully with most of all applications that you need.

You can be happy with 1GB RAM, a 60GB HD (the basic iMac has 250GB) and a cheap graphics card, but why should you buy a computer with such low specs in 2008? How about future-proofing?

I bought the Samsung Alice laptop for 1.044 EUR, 29 EUR monthly instalments with 0% APR and it has some pretty great specs:

http://adsl.alice.it/prodotti/ilpc_dialice...l,cnt=2652.html

Apple brings an update to iMacs yet with no HD or Blu-ray support also I doubt if Apple has improved their LCD specs.

I'd say I'm not impressed.

Umm...the 24" iMac has a GREAT LCD panel...I think your referring to the 20" models 6bit display.

If the basic 20" model came with a better GPU... 8600 that's in the MBP maybe? Cause those Radeon 2400s are old and slow. :(

But that high end model needs 4GBs of RAM for that price. It's absurd. RAM is so cheap now, on my desktop I can get 2GBs for 30$. It can't cost THAT much more for Apple to put it in there.

That's my $0.02

But that high end model needs 4GBs of RAM for that price. It's absurd. RAM is so cheap now, on my desktop I can get 2GBs for 30$. It can't cost THAT much more for Apple to put it in there.

That's my $0.02

They want you to pay extra for everything. That is Apple for you.

No 8800GS in 20" iMac =

epicfailurece3.th.jpg

If you want a better graphics card you must buy the 24" one. Typical Apple policy.