OSXArm anytime soon?

martiniman

8 posts in this topic

These days European press discusses bad reception of iPhones in Europe. Two reasons: bad bundle/unlocked pricing compared to other deals and no implementation of 3G and GPS.

User friendlyness is hailed as one last reason to still go for the iPhone.

But when I look at OSX86 and I look at specs of a Nokia N95, a Chumby, a GP2X, a TomTom Go, I only see 3,5 inch LCD screens and ARM processors! Therefore I see OSXArm on the horizon as mobile alternative to OSX86. What do you think?

Oh, Slowpoke!

iPod touch's/iPhone's have ARM processors in them, and the iPhone OS (iPod touch OS) is compiled for ARM and is a super slimmed down version of OS X Leopard.

Next you'll tell us about how it's possible to break the system lock on it to run unsigned code... Oh wait...

• 2 weeks later...

Kay, that thread died fast. I think what Martianman was getting at, is would it be possible to run OS X on something with an ARM proc that isn't an iPhone. The answer is probably not, the device is quite different and doesn't seem to offer the degree of flexibility to allow it to run on anything BUT an iPhone/iPod Touch. Not to mention the lack of drivers.

• 2 weeks later...