Webcam support limited by Apple's UVC driver. [PARTIALLY SOLVED]

173 posts in this topic

i am on acer crystal eye webcam on my aspire 4710 laptop. i could see a part of the frame in login options when i installed 10.4.9 whose kext i have uploaded. not even that lucky in 10.4.8, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. tried macam, but no go.

let me know if i can be of any help.

i think you were asking for this file from 10.4.9 install. hope you find a solution for the webcam riddle.

THANKS. I still need to try it out. We need are all of the files the cam uses for this to work I think. That means the kext and the quicktime components also.

Here is a list of all of them that we need form 10.4.8/10.4.9 (I think 10.4.8 is the best at cam support):

IOUSBFamily.kext which holds AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext

QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component,

QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component

VDC.plugin

RawCamera.bundle

I am not 100% this is the whole list but it has to be as this is all the stuff that loads when you use the cam. If there is one or two others please let me know. Also 10.4.8 may not have all of these files and that would make sense (especially VDC.plugin).

Here is what I have:

Now, I've installed aGent Webcam G3 but the main WebCam Monitor screen is always blank. BUT, if I select Monitor -> Video Settings I can see my image on the preview box!!!

I've tried to delete VDC.plugin but still no changes either in Skype, iChat, Photo Booth, Quicktime or anything else... all of them showing just a black screen... so, any ideas???

Once we get all the files from 10.4.8 I think it will solve your problem. The leopard versions just really limit the cams you can use.

the 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 frameworks do work - and yeah - maybe we only need the quicktime components from one of those two versions

who knows...

im gonna try that kext

thx

What did you come up with? We really need all of the files and from 10.4.8 would be the best to use.

I may have found a temporary solution but I have not yet tested it out

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry768311

Not bad but its kind of an ugly solution. Having to go through all that to use your cam well I would not want to do that.

here is a ton of sonic drivers for os xhttp://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/family.do?f=3a bunch of em... gonna try some - u guys get started too ;)http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/product.do?p=SN9C202this is imo - possibly a good try for us as our dv hp computers do have a mic beside the cam itself - this is probably some sheit that connect to one chip.lets try guys ! :DaRt

I have tried those before. There is no better match for me then what I have now which is SN9C201. However perhaps you guys will see a difference. Also the quicktime component never seems to load from the sonix driver. If we could get it to load it might really help us sonix and chioney users.

I've tried that IOUSBFamily.kext.rar... no results... ;)

Maybe this can give us some help also...

http://techslaves.org/index.php?page=52

I already mentioned looking at that page. That is how I arrived at the VDC.plugin solution and where I found out what the cam uses to load in the first place. Did you not see all my other posts above? We should be able to get closer with files from tiger now.

i am on acer crystal eye webcam on my aspire 4710 laptop. i could see a part of the frame in login options when i installed 10.4.9 whose kext i have uploaded. not even that lucky in 10.4.8, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. tried macam, but no go.

let me know if i can be of any help.

Its not all that one kext. See the list above we need all of the files to make this work. If we get AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext and all the quicktime stuff from 10.4.8 we should be in business.

HP Webcam:

Version:	6.06
 Bus Power (mA):	500
 Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.
 Product ID:	0xb023
 Serial Number:	SN0001
 Vendor ID:	0x04f2

This is my webcam .. I get the blue-light on the cam but no image. Is there a known solution for this Cam?

HP Webcam:

Version:	6.06
 Bus Power (mA):	500
 Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.
 Product ID:	0xb023
 Serial Number:	SN0001
 Vendor ID:	0x04f2

This is my webcam .. I get the blue-light on the cam but no image. Is there a known solution for this Cam?

Did you read above? The best solution is the UVC drivers from 10.4.8. If we can get someone to post those thats running that version of tiger we are in business. I do not have full support and its because of leopards UVC driver package. Tigers was better and more cams worked with it. We need all of the files from 10.4.8 to make it work right.

Hmm you mean trying to delete the DVC plugin? No not yet tried it, but I was looking for a more universal solution, The UVC drivers you mention seems to be the one...

Requestion: Can someone post UVC drivers from Tiger 10.4.8 ???

I have HP 6700 and using 10.5.3

I have iChat, Yahoo messenger working with camera but Skype, photo booth not working. photo application from my login account is not working either. photo booth seem to start my camera but image is total white.

This is how it shows in my system profile.

HP Webcam:

Manufacturer: Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

Product ID: 0xb015

Vendor ID: 0x04f2

This behavior is opposite to some other posts where photo booth is working but iChat is not. I also tried to remove VDC.plugin but it did not help.

Any help guys???

-Sam

Isn't rossetta for old mac apps, like pre OSX apps? Am I right there or wrong? How can I use Ichat through rosetta?

I used IUSB chat and got nothing with that. I can get the cam to work in photobooth but only to take a pic for use as a avatar in the accounts screen in preferences. Which is sooo weird.. How can it work there and not work in the full app?

Rosetta is not for pre OS X apps, is for OS X apps compiled for PPC Macs.

Pre OS X apps can run on some PPC Macs with System 9 natively and on some only with System 9 within OS X, but Leopard hasn't support now.

Even that Rosetta can emulate the instrucctions from PPC to X86 you cant use it with drivers.

ok, I managed to pull

AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext

from a 10.4.8 Jas DVD with pacifist. these came from the essentials install package on the DVD so I don't think they've been tampered with or come from another OS version. it would be nice to have a genuine 10.4.8 DVD on hand to be sure but you can test these out.

it looks like VDC.plugin and RawCamera.bundle were added at a later date since neither of them were on the DVD in fact "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/" is missing completely on 10.4.8.

I've tried everything I can think of to get my webcam working and still no luck.

could someone with a working camera post the IORegistry information. The easiest way to do this if you have xcode installed is to run the "USB Prober" that comes with and copy the information from there.

10.4.8_webcam_support.zip

i have an acer laptop and the webcam comes up as a USB camera. it works flawlessly with ichat and also in online flash. i haven't tried with maccam because, well, {censored} maccam. all i want to do is get my camera working in photobooth. im not going to buy a new webcam because 1. i dont want to 2. i shouldnt have to and 3. the reason im posting is to solve the problem without doing so. when i start photobooth it loads up fine but i get a black screen, oh well... any suggestions??

Acer CrystalEye webcam:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: SuYin

Product ID: 0xa101

Serial Number: CN0314-OV03-VA-R02.00.00

Vendor ID: 0x064e

No Success here:

HP Webcam:

Version: 6.06

Product ID: 0xb023

Serial Number: SN0001

But, I have made a shocking discovery :(

/Library/QuickTime/DesktopVideoOut.component/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoOut: mach-o, but wrong architecture

2008-06-18 21:03:45.971 Photo Booth[33527:10b] Error loading /Library/QuickTime/DesktopVideoOut.component/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoOut: dlopen(/Library/QuickTime/DesktopVideoOut.component/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoOut, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:

/Library/QuickTime/DesktopVideoOut.component/Contents/MacOS/DesktopVideoOut: mach-o, but wrong architecture

I got this error in terminal while running:

/Applications/Photo Booth.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Booth

So, this may be a hint.

I wonder what "but wrong architecture" is supposed to mean. Is it our processors?

No Success here:

HP Webcam:

But, I have made a shocking discovery :)

So, this may be a hint.

I wonder what "but wrong architecture" is supposed to mean. Is it our processors?

Haha, very interesting discovery. I am one of the ones waiting on this as well.

Hi, Buddy,

I am using a HP DV9500t, which equiped with a Webcam from Suyin: VendorID 0x064e, Product ID 0xa110. It show as HP Webcam version 1.0 in system profile. But only display blackscreen in Photo Booth, iChat, Skype, etc...

I donwload EvoCam 3.6.2, and it show me the video correct. So I believe my webcam do work in Leopard 10.5.2. The problem is whether there's any way we can make the webcam work with Photo Booth...

I have a 1.3MP web cam from MSI Starclip and I can get it to work with macam but nothing else. I would really love it if someone can help resolve this as the wife is busting my balls over Skype not having video :P

I have this on my Acer 7720 (Kalyway 10.5.2)

Acer CrystalEye webcam:

Manufacturer: SuYin

Product ID: 0xa101

Serial Number: CN0314-OV03-VA-R02.00.00

Vendor ID: 0x064e

Works in EvoCam, but not in any Apple apps ;)

Also just found an interesting fact - my install, Kalyway 10.5.1 + Kalyway 10.5.2 updates, leads to iChat not working, whereas another member with identical laptop installed from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and his iChat worked - could this difference shed any light on things?

ok, I managed to pull

AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext

from a 10.4.8 Jas DVD with pacifist. these came from the essentials install package on the DVD so I don't think they've been tampered with or come from another OS version. it would be nice to have a genuine 10.4.8 DVD on hand to be sure but you can test these out.

it looks like VDC.plugin and RawCamera.bundle were added at a later date since neither of them were on the DVD in fact "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/" is missing completely on 10.4.8.

I've tried everything I can think of to get my webcam working and still no luck.

could someone with a working camera post the IORegistry information. The easiest way to do this if you have xcode installed is to run the "USB Prober" that comes with and copy the information from there.

10.4.8_webcam_support.zip

I've been a away a while and still need to test this out. Great to finally have these files. TAHNKS! I figures that VDC was not part of tiger makes a lot of sense actually. Since that was all that made my cam not work in photo booth. As for the rest I'm not quite sure why I dont get support in ichat. There must be something we can edit to get there.

No Success here:

HP Webcam:

But, I have made a shocking discovery :o

So, this may be a hint.

Very interesting. I would say this has to do with something with the cam but it could be the processor. Like if we alter one of the drivers we might get it to better work with the cam.

I've been pretty busy lately not sure how much time I'll be on this forum. I'll keep checking back her and offering ideas if I get any further with this.

Thanks everyone for continuing to work on getting full support for all cams in OSX.

dell xps m1330

Laptop Integrated Webcam:

Manufacturer: OmniVision Technologies, Inc. -2640-07.07.20.3

Product ID: 0x2640

Vendor ID: 0x05a9

photobooth works only on the 1st try, when i close it and try to use it again, it just crashes, i have to reboot in order to use it again

edit: I deleted the VDC plugin and it finally worked without having to reboot!

That´s my bad cam ;)

Version: 4.11

Bus-Strom (mA): 500

Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 480 MBit/s

Hersteller: Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.

Produkt-ID: 0x5a35

Seriennummer: SN0001

Hersteller-ID: 0x174f

No Sonixdriver work :D , but it´s crazy. On Webcam Monitor-----Video Settings, i see me in preview. But my head is inverted :).

In Skype and Photobooth i see a black screen.

i give up now B)