Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

I have the ATI card. Either X1300 or X1400. I see kext files for it in s/l/e (I think) but still acts a little weird. So in general with kext files can I simply add or delete and then reboot? when do I need to use kext helper to add kext files? I loaded the prefpane for trackpad but it didn't seem to have any effect. I don't see it in sys pref under keyboard/mouse.

from what I read in previous posts from other users, Inspiron and ati do not work well together. Some people even exchanged theirs with nvidia cards for their OSX project.

you can remove kexts without kext helper. always, always add kexts with either kexthelper or osx86tools. otherwise permissions are incorrect and they won't load or even lead to kps.

if you follow the instructions and delete all ps2 related kexts and add the prefpane you should be good to go. you may have to remove the old one first.

from what I read in previous posts from other users, Inspiron and ati do not work well together. Some people even exchanged theirs with nvidia cards for their OSX project.

you can remove kexts without kext helper. always, always add kexts with either kexthelper or osx86tools. otherwise permissions are incorrect and they won't load or even lead to kps.

if you follow the instructions and delete all ps2 related kexts and add the prefpane you should be good to go. you may have to remove the old one first.

OK.....first big thing..... here's a link to the TSC Sync Vanilla Kernel for 9.8...using it now: http://www.mediafire.com/?jomzl1wiqnn

So I gave the voodoo ps2 a try......

Nothing to delete from the retail install, just had to remove the kexts from my extra/extensions folder.

Some issues...1. can't bring up a keyboard choice anymore.... 2. the preference pane that installs with it doesn't seem to work...it comes up with some "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" but then opens...nothing really works though..no scroll sides or 2 finger scrolling or any of it...although I do have mouse support. And 3.....doesn't seem to work from within the extra/extension folder in chameleon....isn't it supposed to?

OK.....first big thing..... here's a link to the TSC Sync Vanilla Kernel for 9.8...using it now: http://www.mediafire.com/?jomzl1wiqnn

So I gave the voodoo ps2 a try......

Nothing to delete from the retail install, just had to remove the kexts from my extra/extensions folder.

Some issues...1. can't bring up a keyboard choice anymore.... 2. the preference pane that installs with it doesn't seem to work...it comes up with some "ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found" but then opens...nothing really works though..no scroll sides or 2 finger scrolling or any of it...although I do have mouse support. And 3.....doesn't seem to work from within the extra/extension folder in chameleon....isn't it supposed to?

no idea, everything working here. thank you for the kernel, much appreciated.

no idea, everything working here. thank you for the kernel, much appreciated.

think it has to do with me being core duo and not core 2 duo?

Which thinking about it.....will I work with snow leopard? I can't even install 64 bit windows on it.

Hmmm...upgrade the processor or new computer...hmm

think it has to do with me being core duo and not core 2 duo?

Which thinking about it.....will I work with snow leopard? I can't even install 64 bit windows on it.

Hmmm...upgrade the processor or new computer...hmm

yep, when I went for 4Gigs of ram there was no question to update the core duo to c2d. you will see a tremendous system boost because of the cache on the c2d chip. ebay...

not sure whether your problems are related to that though...

What is wrong with the wifi light in 10.5.8? I too am missing it. How can I get it back? Should I do the Airport update, or not, as NYCCoyote said that that completely got rid of his ability to even turn the card on? What should I do?

If you re-read through the rest of the post since...I have updated the kext folder download for chameleon where I fixed the wifi and bluetooth. :wacko:

Just go back to the original post of mine and re-download it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

First of all , these are my specs :

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz

4gb ddr ram

nvidia geforece 8600m GT

dell truemobile 355 bluetooth+edr

dell wireless 1505 WLAN Mini card( its not an intel card so is this going to work?)

sigmatel stac 92xx c-major HD

So this is the problem: I installed using iATKOS v7 and Kalyway. In both cases the installation was smooth and finished successfully without a problem. When the laptop rebooted to start the OS it kept on loading foreverrr on the gray mac screen and then a stop sign icon showed up on the screen. I rebooted and entered is single usre mode using the -s command and this is what I got :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42098931@N02/...270107/sizes/l/

I dont know if I should make some changes in BIOS settings or something esle :S I have been trying to do this for 4 days now! Can anyone please help? Thanks a bunch

Hello i am a inspriron 6400 user and wish to restart the dell post installer project and was wondering if sonotone would like me to help in createing a Dell post installer for Snow Leopard?

Regards

Patrick

P.S i am currently making a driver for the ati x1300 mobility and was wondering if someone could upload there info.plist form there ATIRadeonX100GA.plugin in there extensions directory in SNOW LEOPARD

Hello i am a inspriron 6400 user and wish to restart the dell post installer project and was wondering if sonotone would like me to help in createing a Dell post installer for Snow Leopard?

Regards

Patrick

P.S i am currently making a driver for the ati x1300 mobility and was wondering if someone could upload there info.plist form there ATIRadeonX100GA.plugin in there extensions directory in SNOW LEOPARD

As soon as I have my system fully working including cpu=2 and the little gma950 problems I will provide the necessary kexts. So far everything is working fine with noobs guide.

IMPORTANT:

I am directly moving to the 2.0 (Snow Leopard) Version, so I am waiting for your submissions of drivers, DSDT Patches, Fixes, Any Other Patches for Snow Leopard.

Please use the following template when you are submitting:

Type of Submission: ANSWER HERE

Dell Laptop Model: ANSWER HERE

Fully working? - ANSWER HERE

x32 or x64 or both? - ANSWER HERE

Thanks to (the creator of the driver/fix/etc...): ANSWER HERE

Thanks in advance.

IMPORTANT:

I am directly moving to the 2.0 (Snow Leopard) Version, so I am waiting for your submissions of drivers, DSDT Patches, Fixes, Any Other Patches for Snow Leopard.

Please use the following template when you are submitting:

Thanks in advance.

well, it's a start:

Type of Submission: 10.6.1 links

Dell Laptop Model: E1505/6400

Fully working? - fully, cpus=2, thanks to voodooTSCSync by cosmo1t

x32 or x64 or both? - only x32 because there are no gma950 64bit kexts

Thanks to noob766 for his guide. Note that you only need to follow instructions for the hidden EFI partition. One requirement is that you have to have OSX (e.g. Leopard) already installed on another partition.

Because gma950 still has wake/sleep problem at login you need to use screen sleeper solution. Use an external monitor to apply sleep/wake display activate in expose and install this script, also disable autologin.

If you have a Core2Duo the system will boot into 64bit by default. You need to add

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

to your com.apple.boot.plist (preferably on the EFI partition) to force it to 32bit. Otherwise your gma950 kexts will not load and you only get default vga, no qe, ci and only 1024x768.

Extra kexts I am using:

-> voodoohda for sound. Works just like under leopard

-> voodoops2controller, need to load this in Extra of EFI partition to get mouse and keyboard working from the getgo.

-> voodoosdhc allows reading/writing of SDHC cards

-> voodoopower to get speedstep

-> voodooTSCSync enables both cores on C2D

thanks to the voodoo team!

with noob's guide I personally do not think a postinstaller is necessary, especially since there is no distro out there at all at the moment. Noob766 has an Inspiron E1505 himself.

Noob766 made a generic 132boot iso for the E1505/6400 already: Inspiron6400.iso.zip

Note that he uses an older IOGraphics kext and Frambuffer.kext to boot without gma950 problems. You will later need to remove these (they will be located on the EFI partition) and use the stock kexts to avoid artifacts and apply the above screen sleeper patch.

attached is my com.apple.boot.plist which loads gma950 EFI string. Note that without the EFI string the system will KP before login. (if you use it remove cpus=1 unless you need it, with voodooTSCSync not necessary). If you would like to have a look at contents of my EFI partition, it's located here. including a DSDT.aml for my particular hardware config.

good luck

edit: no problems whatsoever upgrading to 10.6.2

but rarely using it. almost 0. using Windows 7 64bit.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Hi all,

I have a few issues getting my Inspiron E1505 OSx86 install to work correctly.

Specs:

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Graphics

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz

Sigmatel 9200 C-Major HD Audio

Ricoh 3-1 Memory Card Reader

Dell W1390 Wireless Mini Card

I installed iATKOS v7 (Leopard 10.5.7)

Graphics: No QE/CI Support & resolution at 1024 x 768 :(

Sleep & Shutdown: Do not Work

Sound: Works after patching

SD Reader: Works after patching

Trackpad/Keyboard: Work fine

Network: Dell Wireless 1390 Works fine

So my question is: is anyone willing to help me get my radeon x1400, and sleep/hibernate working?

Thanks

I have a question about mach_kernels. I am currently booting with cpus=1 on a Dell Precision M90.

I have a Core 2 Duo and am running 10.5.8. I have a mach_kernel that is supposed to be for 10.5.8. I was planning on designating that kernel in the Boot.plist using Chameleon 2 RC2.

Other than this mach_kernel, and key/string to execute it, what else do I need to do, if anything, to have dual-core support under 10.5.8?

I have a question about mach_kernels. I am currently booting with cpus=1 on a Dell Precision M90.

I have a Core 2 Duo and am running 10.5.8. I have a mach_kernel that is supposed to be for 10.5.8. I was planning on designating that kernel in the Boot.plist using Chameleon 2 RC2.

Other than this mach_kernel, and key/string to execute it, what else do I need to do, if anything, to have dual-core support under 10.5.8?

if you use the kernel in this post 9.8 you can boot without cpus=1 and get both cores, no other key string to use.

btw. looks like cosmo managed the TSC sync for SL. Link here.

Thank you Cosmo!!! :thumbsup_anim:

edit: confirmed working. No more cpus=1 on SL, both cores working!

if you use the kernel in this post 9.8 you can boot without cpus=1 and get both cores, no other key string to use.

btw. looks like cosmo managed the TSC sync for SL. Link here.

Thank you Cosmo!!! :)

edit: confirmed working. No more cpus=1 on SL, both cores working!

one question, what is TSC Sync?

one question, what is TSC Sync?

in simple terms it's syncing up all CPUs to the same moment in a multicore system. for Dell core2duos and core duos the vanilla kernel would lead to stuttering because of inproper syncing. the stuttering is so bad that it's really only possible to either set the bios to one core or via boot.plist. the solution is a patched kernel or a kext.

in simple terms it's syncing up all CPUs to the same moment in a multicore system. for Dell core2duos and core duos the vanilla kernel would lead to stuttering because of inproper syncing. the stuttering is so bad that it's really only possible to either set the bios to one core or via boot.plist. the solution is a patched kernel or a kext.

oh that makes so much more sense! I knew exactly why we couldn't use the se vanillia kernel. So is it somthing that's always gonna have to be patched? Or can there be such a autopatcher?

well, it's a start:

Type of Submission: 10.6.1 links

Dell Laptop Model: E1505/6400

Fully working? - fully, cpus=2, thanks to voodooTSCSync by cosmo1t

x32 or x64 or both? - only x32 because there are no gma950 64bit kexts

Thanks to noob766 for his guide:

Because gma950 still has wake/sleep problem at login you need to use screen sleeper solution. Use an external monitor to apply sleep/wake display activate in expose and install this script, also disable autologin.

If you have a Core2Duo the system will boot into 64bit by default. You need to add

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

to your com.apple.boot.plist (preferably on the EFI partition) to force it to 32bit. Otherwise your gma950 kexts will not load and you only get default vga, no qe, ci and only 1024x768.

Extra kexts I am using:

-> voodoohda for sound. Works just like under leopard

-> voodoops2controller, need to load this in Extra of EFI partition to get mouse and keyboard working from the getgo.

-> voodoosdhc allows reading/writing of SDHC cards

-> voodoopower to get speedstep

-> voodooTSCSync enables both cores on C2D

thanks to the voodoo team!

with noob's guide I personally do not think a postinstaller is necessary, especially since there is no distro out there at all at the moment. Noob766 has an Inspiron E1505 himself.

Noob766 made a generic 132boot iso for the E1505/6400 already: Inspiron6400.iso.zip

Note that he uses an older IOGraphics kext and Frambuffer.kext to boot without gma950 problems. You will later need to remove these (they will be located on the EFI partition) and use the stock kexts to avoid artifacts and apply the above screen sleeper patch.

attached is my com.apple.boot.plist which loads gma950 EFI string. Note that without the EFI string the system will KP before login. (if you use it remove cpus=1 unless you need it, with voodooTSCSync not necessary).

good luck

Would you mind posting a brief install guide, i got SL to instal using his boot iso (laptop is same specs as yours) just having trouble with the boot from hard drive EFI etc.

Mainly just the order in which you installed things, where they were installed too, terminal commands and any other useful bits and pieces.

Ice