Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi thegreatdeceiver!

Could you give me a pack of GMA950 kexts? I try to install SL thanks to a retail DVD, so I make a complete list of kexts I neeed!

thanks!

I am using stock gma950 kexts. not sure if that's what you really need. they are here. in addition my entire extension folder is here as well. If you need gma950 kexts that let you boot into SL on first boot without using external monitor you can use the ones provided by noob766. link to his files is in my sig. More on this here.

Okay I installed iATKOS v7, booted up and installed the post installer and selected the bits I wanted then restarted. Now if I boot up I get a black screen, or if I boot up in -x I cant use mouse or keyboard.

I think a post installer for SL would be perfect for the 9400, because I am struggling so hard to get it working!

Okay, installed retail Leopard 10.5.6, installed the post installer, repaired permissions, aaaand nothing! Just boot up and says 'boot 0 error'

I try to boot with CD again, and it just sticks on a blue screen.

I really am in a rush to get mac installed on my laptop ready for uni on Monday and would really love some help please!

well, it's a start:

Type of Submission: 10.6.1 links

Dell Laptop Model: E1505/6400

Fully working? - fully, cpus=2, thanks to voodooTSCSync by cosmo1t

x32 or x64 or both? - only x32 because there are no gma950 64bit kexts

Thanks to noob766 for his guide. Note that you only need to follow instructions for the hidden EFI partition. One requirement is that you have to have OSX (e.g. Leopard) already installed on another partition.

Because gma950 still has wake/sleep problem at login you need to use screen sleeper solution. Use an external monitor to apply sleep/wake display activate in expose and install this script, also disable autologin.

If you have a Core2Duo the system will boot into 64bit by default. You need to add

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

to your com.apple.boot.plist (preferably on the EFI partition) to force it to 32bit. Otherwise your gma950 kexts will not load and you only get default vga, no qe, ci and only 1024x768.

Extra kexts I am using:

-> voodoohda for sound. Works just like under leopard

-> voodoops2controller, need to load this in Extra of EFI partition to get mouse and keyboard working from the getgo.

-> voodoosdhc allows reading/writing of SDHC cards

-> voodoopower to get speedstep

-> voodooTSCSync enables both cores on C2D

thanks to the voodoo team!

with noob's guide I personally do not think a postinstaller is necessary, especially since there is no distro out there at all at the moment. Noob766 has an Inspiron E1505 himself.

Noob766 made a generic 132boot iso for the E1505/6400 already: Inspiron6400.iso.zip

Note that he uses an older IOGraphics kext and Frambuffer.kext to boot without gma950 problems. You will later need to remove these (they will be located on the EFI partition) and use the stock kexts to avoid artifacts and apply the above screen sleeper patch.

attached is my com.apple.boot.plist which loads gma950 EFI string. Note that without the EFI string the system will KP before login. (if you use it remove cpus=1 unless you need it, with voodooTSCSync not necessary). If you would like to have a look at contents of my EFI partition, it's located here. including a DSDT.aml for my particular hardware config.

good luck

edit: no problems whatsoever upgrading to 10.6.2

but rarely using it. almost 0. using Windows 7 64bit.

I know this is for the e1505 but has anyone tried this for the e1705?

I know this is for the e1505 but has anyone tried this for the e1705?

not sure what Aleksandrs tried, but if you have the same graphics card there should be no issues. This (no issues) has been the case for previous OSX releases. The hardware with the exception of the monitor is pretty much the same. Hence sonotone always released packages built into one for both 1705/1505 Inspirons.

good luck

I really am in a rush to get mac installed on my laptop ready for uni on Monday and would really love some help please!

Rush is the last thing you need to get a successful OSX install. Patience is the only way to get this done. Nobody will make a post-installer because it's not needed. noob's guide has everything one needs to get the job done. And for those who struggle with this too much, there is also Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard.iso in the wild that a few tried with success.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
just updated to 10.6.2 without problems.

made backup of kernel and extensions, updated and worked without a problem. no need to patch anything back.

cool. now trying to figure out how to get gma950 64bit to work. just greeted with a black screen when I boot with 64bit. everything working 100% 32bit.

just updated to 10.6.3 without a problem. hidden efi partition is safe so far.

• 4 weeks later...

installed SnowLeo distro says installed correctly but on reboot it goes into apple screen with logo and has spinning wheel then black screen......wat did i do wrong ro wat didnt i do......when it boots it says its using chameleon....

dell e1505

945 chipset

installed SnowLeo distro says installed correctly but on reboot it goes into apple screen with logo and has spinning wheel then black screen......wat did i do wrong ro wat didnt i do......when it boots it says its using chameleon....

dell e1505

945 chipset

almost there. Look at this post and follow instructions on how to trick the black screen problem via a script. Since you already got a black screen the only option is to use an external monitor or inject the necessary files from another OSX.

you have the same laptop. might as well also use the com.apple.Boot.plist in that post as it has the efi string for gma950.

good luck

almost there. Look at this post and follow instructions on how to trick the black screen problem via a script. Since you already got a black screen the only option is to use an external monitor or inject the necessary files from another OSX.

you have the same laptop. might as well also use the com.apple.Boot.plist in that post as it has the efi string for gma950.

good luck

This guide has been great and here's where I'm stuck. I have the e1505 running SL but I have to choose between video and sound...

I loaded with the following guide:

http://osx-e1505.vacau.com/

and a Retail Copy of SL

I have the nVidia card. When I look at my sys config on Dell it says the following:

Card,Graphics,256MB,G72,I6400

Which, I'm assuming is the 7200.

Sound is the Sigmatel Card.

Everything works (Keyboard and Mouse, Dual Core, Wifi....except for this video/sound issue:

When I use the pre-done Dell boot CD and select my HDD with SL on it, I use the following switch: arch=i386 (per the instructions in the guide)

When I do this, after going to the white screen with the spinning wheel, the screen goes blank and if I hook up an external monitor, I get a picture and it works fine. (I had that it was blue before, but that was just me being stupid and had a loose connection on the vga cable LOL) Everything works except for the screen on the laptop. If I hit Fn F8 to switch the display, the laptop completely locks up.

So..I try to boot without the "arch=i386" and the video is fine on the laptop. Everything else works again...except sound. If I go to Sound in the Preferences screen, there are no devices listed.

The fact that my chameleon install isn't working isn't that important to me. I can handle using the boot CD for now. One problem at a time LOL! I had OSX Leopard installed on it with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Oh, I tried "TheGreatDeceiver's" gma950Jan10.zip and used the KextHelper to install them. I didn't get any errors, but it didn't fix anything. Is this an issue of each driver being for a specific kernal? One for x64 and the other for x32?? So, when I boot into one side one works and the other doesn't? I'm downloading his "ExtensionsJan10.zip" file and will just copy it over mine if needed. What do you think?

ok i tried to hook up external monitor but nothing.....so i am reinstalling....im using a modified distro....ill add the sleep fix all the kexts as before.....but here is my question now as i read about guid partition, i didnt see that option when i formatted drive...again im not at command line......im doing the install acoording to osx-e1505.vacau.com and the hidden efi partition......now about that.....am i suppose to create that ro will it be created on its own...also currently i have 2nd core off in bios.....can i turn it back on or just wait till do the kexts then turn back on...this is my first attempts on using and installing osx....so i will have lots of questions.....i have read and read......i know ill get there with all ur help....thx....also i do not have another mac to do anything that is the reason for the modified distro

does all this install automatically or do i have to do each one?

also since the boot cd works couldnt i just install chameleon and copy the boot file from cd to root?

here is what is in distro

SnowLeo Mac OSX86 for intel/AMD (32/64) ENG.

by director A. K.

boot.plist = 32 bit default.

| | +-o System

| | |-Base Package

| | |-Rosetta

| | |-X11User

| | |-Tools

| | |

| | +-o Chameleon Loader

| | |-Chameleon RC4 PC-EFI 10.5 (asereBLN)

| | |-Chameleon RC4 PC-EFI 10.6

| | |-Chameleon RC5 Pre11 Recursor's

| | |-Chameleon 2 PC-EFI 10

| | |-Chameleon 1 PC-EFI 9.4

| | |

| | +-o AMD Patch (BETA)

| | |

| | +-o ChipSet

| | |-Intel AHCI

| | |-ApplePXIIATA

| | |-Nforce ATA

| | |-Super Nforce ATA

| | |-VIA ATA

| | |-Super VIA

| | |-JMicron ATA

| | |-MB36x SATA

| | |

| | +-o Video Card

| | |--Intel

| | |-GMAX950

| | |-GMAX3100

| | |-GMAX3500

| | |-GMAX4500

| | |--Nvidia

| | |-Natit

| | |-NVEnabler

| | |-NVInject

| | |--ATI

| | |-ATI Init

| | |-EvoEnabler

| | |-ATI Redeon HD

| | |

| | +-o Network Card

| | |--LAN

| | |-BCM440X

| | |-BCM5785

| | |-Intel 82566M

| | |-NforceLan

| | |-RTL 8139

| | |-RTL 8169

| | |-AppleYukon2Injector

| | |-AttansicL1eEthernet

| | |-AttansicL1Ethernet

| | |-Intel Pro100

| | |-ViaRhine

| | |--Wifi

| | |-Realtek R1000

| | |-Atheros AR5005

| | |-Atheros AR5007

| | |-Marvel Yukon

| | |-AtherosWifiAdapter

| | |-D-LinkDWL-G520

| | |

| | +-o Audio Card

| | |-VoodooHDA

| | |-HDA Enabler

| | |-LegacyHDA

| | |-AppleAzalioAudio

| | |-AppleAC'97

| | |

| | +-o System Patches

| | |-DSDT Patcher-GUI

| | |-FakeSMC

| | |-NullCPUPM

| | |-PlatformUUID

| | |-Sleep Enabler

| | |-ApplePS2

| | |-USB Patch

| | |-IOATAFamily K.P. Fix

| | |-IOPCIFamily Fix

| | |-AppleRTC

| | |-FramebufferDisabler

| | |-SmBIOS.plist (imac 11,1)

| | |-UUID

| | |

| | +-o Notebook Patches

| | |-AcpiBatterymanager

| | |-VoodooBattery

| | |-Voodoo Power Mini

| | |-Vodoo Psate+monitor app

| | |-VoodooPS2withTrackPad

| | |-Thermal Kext

| | |

| | +-o Kernel

| | |-10.6.2 Kernel - Pcj XNU Release V0.9

| | |-Coco Kernel

| | |-Intel Atom Kernel

ok done everything now i get kernal panic.............the only thing i did different then the osx-e1505 guide was use the eif partition method........i installed chameleon and rebooted? was i suppose to replace the boot file with the pacthed one?

ok i have added all kexts have sound.....havent tried network.......but i am using the inspiron 6400 iso to boot......when i go to about and more the video says gma950 1280x800......so does that mean everything is working? except for the boot......and i dont see wireless or lan

This guide has been great and here's where I'm stuck. I have the e1505 running SL but I have to choose between video and sound...

Oh, I tried "TheGreatDeceiver's" gma950Jan10.zip and used the KextHelper to install them. I didn't get any errors, but it didn't fix anything. Is this an issue of each driver being for a specific kernal? One for x64 and the other for x32?? So, when I boot into one side one works and the other doesn't? I'm downloading his "ExtensionsJan10.zip" file and will just copy it over mine if needed. What do you think?

you have an nvidia card. these kexts are for gma950 as their title says. they shouldn't do anything to your installation which you showed to be right :(. only 32bit will work at the moment. there are no 64 bit drivers for the graphics card at this time.

ask NY Coyote on this board, he has nvidia and SL.

If your hardware is otherwise the same, the extensions may help you. some of the voodoo kexts are on my efi partition and not in the extensions folder though. The extensions are from either 10.6.1 or .2 if you mix .1 with .3 you may break things (kernel needs matching seatbelt and a few other system kexts). I sold my E1505 and won't be able to help out with anything > 10.6.2

good luck

ok i have added all kexts have sound.....havent tried network.......but i am using the inspiron 6400 iso to boot......when i go to about and more the video says gma950 1280x800......so does that mean everything is working? except for the boot......and i dont see wireless or lan

the inspiron 6400 iso uses an older framebuffer and you may not get full hardware acceleration. you can test by trying to play chess or let the screensaver do some fancy stuff. if hardware acceleration isn't working you cannot move chess figures for example and the screensaver will give you an error. However, you have now a perfect situation from which you can load the vanilla gma950 kexts. But before that you need to install the script and make sure you do not have autologin. wireless should work out of the box if you have a dell card. if it's an intel you are out of luck or you may have to hunt for working kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

TGD, thanks for the guide and the assistance.

I have a problem. I'm running an Inspiron 9400 with a GeForce 7900. So far, everything up to the Voodoo kexts has worked. I'm using:

- VoodooHDA (works)

- VoodooTSCSync (works)

- VoodooBattery

- VoodooPowerAcpi

I'm still getting a kernel panic on boot with the "No HPETs" error, even though I'm using a properly-patched DSDT. I don't get this error when I use NullCPUPowerManagement and Disabler. Am I supposed to be using those kexts in conjunction with the VoodooPower and Battery kexts? Am I missing a step somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I've stabilized my system now, here's what I have.

Boot: vanilla mach_kernel located in /, patched dsdt.aml taken directly from ACPI of the machine I'm running

In Extra/Extensions:

- AHCIPortInjector.kext <-\

- ATAPortInjector.kext <--- Are these two files really needed?

- AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext <--- I had issues with VoodooPowerMini/Acpi and VoodooBattery

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext <--- haven't tried VoodooPS2 yet, but I would like touchpad scrolling; does it work?

- AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext <--- Does this resolve the power saving issue?

- ApplePS2Controller.kext <--- Patched, works great

- DellBluetoothHCI.kext <--- Works like a charm, recognized my Magic Mouse with 0 effort

- Disabler.kext

- IOACPIFamily.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector <--- Is this needed?

- JMicronATAInjector.kext <--- Another one

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

- fakesmc.kext

Non-vanilla kexts in S/L/E:

- ClamshellDisplay.kext <--- Works, but sleep doesn't

- SleepEnabler.kext <--- Appears to cause kernel panic, so I disabled it

- VoodooHDA.kext <--- Works

- VoodooSDHC.kext

- VoodooTSCSync.kext*

* Funny error. Both cores are enabled and functioning normally. But when I attempt to open Activity Monitor, it sometimes causes a kernel panic and the "You must restart your computer." I can't duplicate the conditions, sometimes it works, sometimes it KPs, so I'm not sure what's going on there. But it only started happening when I started using TSCSync.

Display sleep does not work. It sleeps properly, but it won't wake back up properly. I have not yet tested the "black screen fix" script, but that's next on my agenda.

Has anybody gotten sleep to work? Restart works, but shutdown does not, and that's my next-next project. Will VoodooPower fix that problem, too?

• 1 month later...
TGD, thanks for the guide and the assistance.

I have a problem. I'm running an Inspiron 9400 with a GeForce 7900. So far, everything up to the Voodoo kexts has worked. I'm using.......

* Funny error. Both cores are enabled and functioning normally. But when I attempt to open Activity Monitor, it sometimes causes a kernel panic and the "You must restart your computer." I can't duplicate the conditions, sometimes it works, sometimes it KPs, so I'm not sure what's going on there. But it only started happening when I started using TSCSync.

Display sleep does not work. It sleeps properly, but it won't wake back up properly. I have not yet tested the "black screen fix" script, but that's next on my agenda.

Has anybody gotten sleep to work? Restart works, but shutdown does not, and that's my next-next project. Will VoodooPower fix that problem, too?

sorry for the long silence. I haven't been active for a while and probably won't be in the future. Sleep should work with your nvidia card. I've seen others here who got it to work. It's a matter of the right combination of kernel, pcefi and graphic kexts.

you kernel panics with TSCSync are odd. is it possible you still have appleintelcpumanagement kext? I removed mine because my system was unstable with it. not sure anymore whether I had kps in activity monitor.

touchpad scrolling works in the E1505 with the voodoops2 kexts. I remember it needs some fiddling to get it to work. you should still be able to download my extra extensions from my post I think and check out what I used. I only used the necessary kexts to get my hardware to work. nothing else.

edit 1: sorry, just tried and the link to my efi partition is gone. I sold my E1505 and can't update the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running Snow leopard 10.6.4 on Dell 9400 (e1705) beautifully, Dual Core 2 1.66 etc with GMA950. Then over the weekend a friend loaded some software on the machine and I noticed that 32bit programs always have a problem. For example, the Office2008 trial and Pages trial both show the main white screen blank. No text shows up. Rest works fine, just the main editing window. I tried DreamWeaver trial and the mouse goes very very slow and jerky in the code window (other windows OK). But Photoshop which is 64bit runs flawlessly. XCode (64 bit) also runs fine and any other 64biut app is perfect. Just 32bit apps. Any ideas? I am running arch=i386 and using GMA950 install pkgs at the beginning of this thread. Also TSCSync is running. I tried disabling one CPU inBIOS and that made no difference. Can I just force the whole machine into 32bit (not just the OS/drivers)? I only have 2GB so don't need 64bit.

I've been running Snow leopard 10.6.4 on Dell 9400 (e1705) beautifully, Dual Core 2 1.66 etc with GMA950. Then over the weekend a friend loaded some software on the machine and I noticed that 32bit programs always have a problem. For example, the Office2008 trial and Pages trial both show the main white screen blank. No text shows up. Rest works fine, just the main editing window. I tried DreamWeaver trial and the mouse goes very very slow and jerky in the code window (other windows OK). But Photoshop which is 64bit runs flawlessly. XCode (64 bit) also runs fine and any other 64biut app is perfect. Just 32bit apps. Any ideas? I am running arch=i386 and using GMA950 install pkgs at the beginning of this thread. Also TSCSync is running. I tried disabling one CPU inBIOS and that made no difference. Can I just force the whole machine into 32bit (not just the OS/drivers)? I only have 2GB so don't need 64bit.

confused....

"Dual Core 2 1.66" : are you sure it's a Dual Core and not a Core Mono or Core 2 Duo? Reason this is important is that on a C2D it will boot into 64bit by default and you would have to force it into 32bit.

the gma950 does not run in 64bit mode. you will get reduced resolution and no core image or quartz extreme if you indeed run in 64bit mode. You can only run PS or XCode in 64bit mode if your OS is running in 64bit. If you are running the OS in 64bit mode then you will indeed have problems because your graphics card is not recognized. Missing CI and QE will lead to problems with certain programs and your OS will run in reduced vga mode (1024x768)

see my posts above and add

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

to your com.apple.boot.plist. if you happen to have an EFI partition make sure that a com.apple.boot.plist on that hidden partition is also changed.

in summary, it seems that you either run in 64bit mode and lose qe and ci or you are running in 32bit mode and your graphic kexts are messed up.

are you getting native resolution?

make sure you know whether you are running 64 or 32 bit in OSX:

Open the Terminal and type the following command:

uname -a

it will spit out something like this:

Darwin iMac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

so in this case it's 64bit because x86_64

or check via this link

good luck

Hi It's a Intel Core 2 Duo according to System profiler.

I don't think it is running ci/qe as that seems the common problem with pages as I have seen in many postings.

Maybe 64/32 bit is misnowmer? I dunno. It is running 32 bit according to uname -a.

When I first built the Snow Leopard machine I did not have i386 for the arch, and nothing much worked. Certainly the GMA drivers did not even load. So I added that and have been running GMA nicely until I noticed Pages not working.

I am getting full resolution graphics. Using 2 monitors fine (built in and external monitor thru VGA port).

Any idea why ci/qe not working as I used the GMA950 package in the i6400.zip supplied. I have not fiddled with any DSDT nor other settings.

Many thanks for your attention.

confused....

"Dual Core 2 1.66" : are you sure it's a Dual Core and not a Core Mono or Core 2 Duo? Reason this is important is that on a C2D it will boot into 64bit by default and you would have to force it into 32bit.

the gma950 does not run in 64bit mode. you will get reduced resolution and no core image or quartz extreme if you indeed run in 64bit mode. You can only run PS or XCode in 64bit mode if your OS is running in 64bit. If you are running the OS in 64bit mode then you will indeed have problems because your graphics card is not recognized. Missing CI and QE will lead to problems with certain programs and your OS will run in reduced vga mode (1024x768)

see my posts above and add

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

to your com.apple.boot.plist. if you happen to have an EFI partition make sure that a com.apple.boot.plist on that hidden partition is also changed.

in summary, it seems that you either run in 64bit mode and lose qe and ci or you are running in 32bit mode and your graphic kexts are messed up.

are you getting native resolution?

make sure you know whether you are running 64 or 32 bit in OSX:

Open the Terminal and type the following command:

uname -a

it will spit out something like this:

Darwin iMac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

so in this case it's 64bit because x86_64

or check via this link

good luck