10.4.4 install success

Mugz

96 posts in this topic

no luck for me... after doing step 4,5 and 6 (max site) , save everything and do the step 7(double clicking the OSInstall.mpkg) i have a "Error Reading Package" and also saying, There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package... hope some will direct me to a solution... thanks

One thing I was able to do to get the install to run was to do the following:

Convert the dmg to iso - used Ultra ISO 7.6.5 ( read in another post this could corrupt files (edited 2/18/06)

Mount the DMG in OS X 10.4.3

Copy the packages folder to the Top of the 10.4.3 Drive

Edit the files per MAXXUSS web site.

Then execute the OSinstall from the 10.4.3 drive.

(I think this is actually what MAXXUSS was intending for all of us to do)

You have to leave the file mounted, it default mounts with the name maxxuss uses, so just try that and see if you can get your installation to run full blown. Only thing you are required to remove is the bundled software as it is on the second disc of the restore set.

Granted I have not gotten it to fully boot, as I am getting a kernel panic, but I do have the installation complete and I can boot with the -s and do the patches. (some reason it wont load the rest of the way)

MarineCorps97

In order to get your "Install Error... try again" problem fixed, Instead of copying Packages in your desktop :) do what Maxxuss writes in bold letters.. copy it into a TOP-LEVEL of a partition (it can be your current 10.4.3 partition) as long as its TOP-LEVEL

Then run your stuff and it should work

Jim

:) I guesss I missed that. I discovered that a couple of days ago (but could't post a correction), and now I can get it installed, but after following the remaining instructions and rebooting, I get nothing. The bios runs it's course and I'm left with a flashing cursor. Guess I must've made a mistake somewhere so I'll try again. BTW, thx Maxxuss, you :D I'll be even happier once I get this installed. Oh, there is one more thing. The original kernel that came with 10.4.4 is chmod 644, but Maxxuss one is 755. I don't see how this could make a difference, but it's just something I noticed.

Does anyone know how to install the 10.4.3 Darwin booter on the 10.4.4 volume ? I want to get rid off the 10.4.3 volume after installing of the new OS, but the new OS doesn't boot from itself. I have to use the 10.4.3 volume to boot and then select the 10.4.4 volume to make it work.

Can you tell me how you have your partitions set up? Which OS on which partition, and the partition parameters (extended, primary, bootable, active, etc)?

It is my understanding that all bootable partitions must me primary and bootable.

I have the first partition with Win. XP/fat32 ,second as 10.4.4 - formated/partitioned in Acronis Disk Manager as fat32 then reformated as hfs ext jour with disk utility - and the third as a swap/fat32. I installed 10.4.4 from an external usb drive with 10.4.3. I am able to choose which drive/partition at start-up because I use a boot manager. (Acronis Os Selector) I believe I selected the active partition in Acronis OS Selector.

Ther are other ways to get there. However, when you get there all bootable partitions must be primary/bootable (at least that is how I did it).

It is my understanding that all bootable partitions must me primary and bootable.

I have the first partition with Win. XP/fat32 ,second as 10.4.4 - formated/partitioned in Acronis Disk Manager as fat32 then reformated as hfs ext jour with disk utility - and the third as a swap/fat32. I installed 10.4.4 from an external usb drive with 10.4.3. I am able to choose which drive/partition at start-up because I use a boot manager. (Acronis Os Selector) I believe I selected the active partition in Acronis OS Selector.

Ther are other ways to get there. However, when you get there all bootable partitions must be primary/bootable (at least that is how I did it).

I could not get any of the dual booting scenarios mentioned here to work.

I did find that my motherboard supports boot drive selection, I have a Gigabyte 81915P duo pro

I have XP on a 250Gb SATA drive and OSX on a 80Gb SATA drive

Ok all, If you have not noticed of Checked out maxxuss site for additional NEW updates (which he is the BOMB of the century in my opinion) It works. I have 10.4.4 running on my Dell D800 followed the steps to a T and low and behold with his new mach_kernel.all file it booted and is running smoothly.

Going to attempt to install Darwine 0.9.7 and proceed from there. People do it exactly as he says and it will work.

I've got the 10.4.4 dmg but I can't copy the files or edit them. There seems to be a permissionproblem, but I can't figure out how to solve it. Is there a way to set the permissions as the dmg is mounted? Or am I on the wrong track here?

I solved myself with the earlier mention convert-option

My PC (HP Compaq Dc7100 CMT):

- Pentium 4 3 GHz chipset Intel 915

- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

- Sound AC97 on board

- Ethernet Megabit Realtek RTL8139

- SATA 1 with 10.4.3

- SATA 2 for 10.4.4 and a little partition for the Packages folder

- DVD RW Pioneer DVR-110D

Following the guidelines in the Maxxuss website according with "Patch Solution v1.0", Mac OS X 10.4.4 is installed and working but the Realtek RTL8139 doesn´t work (the same device is recognized and working in 10.4.3). The rest is OK but I haven't Internet.

Here is all my experience with Mac OS X x86 (in spanish). Greetings.

x_about_es_10.4.4.jpg

Sorry to bother, but I´m having doubts about my 10.4.4 Restore disc DMG...

Anybody has or can calcuate de MD5 for it?

ABA5740A1F9E9265DFB5EA2F91B6B284

;) I guesss I missed that. I discovered that a couple of days ago (but could't post a correction), and now I can get it installed, but after following the remaining instructions and rebooting, I get nothing. The bios runs it's course and I'm left with a flashing cursor. Guess I must've made a mistake somewhere so I'll try again. BTW, thx Maxxuss, you :D I'll be even happier once I get this installed. Oh, there is one more thing. The original kernel that came with 10.4.4 is chmod 644, but Maxxuss one is 755. I don't see how this could make a difference, but it's just something I noticed.

Do you have a SSE2 Processor?

I got stuck in the same point for native install. In VMWare I got it to work fine.

I think is something related to /usr/standalone/i386 files. In 10.4.3 I got all boot files, in 10.4.4 only boot.efi (and that´s what we don´t want).

Can someone help?

My 10.4.3 is working an I can "change" the startup disc using 10.4.3 JaS patched DVD.

My Specs:

P4 2.4C HT @ 3.1

P4P800

1 GB RAM

RADEON 9600XT (CI & QE Enabled)

total success !!!!

maxxuss how-to is powerfull.

somes problems solved with differents patches:

- IONetworkingFamily.kext from 8f1111g for network

- AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from 8f1111g for audio output only

for optimise QE & CI don't forget to do in terminal :

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

now we have a good stable system. (8f1111g was too)

Do you have a SSE2 Processor?

I got stuck in the same point for native install. In VMWare I got it to work fine.

I think is something related to /usr/standalone/i386 files. In 10.4.3 I got all boot files, in 10.4.4 only boot.efi (and that´s what we don´t want).

Can someone help?

My 10.4.3 is working an I can "change" the startup disc using 10.4.3 JaS patched DVD.

My Specs:

P4 2.4C HT @ 3.1

P4P800

1 GB RAM

RADEON 9600XT (CI & QE Enabled)

I've got SSE3 and everything else too (see specs). But I did figure out a temporary solution that should get you up and running. It's not ideal, but it works.

Following the guidelines in the Maxxuss website according with "Patch Solution v1.0", Mac OS X 10.4.4 is installed and working but the Realtek RTL8139 doesn´t work (the same device is recognized and working in 10.4.3). The rest is OK but I haven't Internet.

My recommendations

1. Find your 10.4.3 Extensions
  2. Copy IONetworkingFamily.kext, and IO80211Family.kext to 10.4.4 /system/library/extensions
  3. Run the Disk utility and repair permissions on your 10.4.4 instalation
  4. Reboot

Just something I would try out to see if it would work for ya.

I had the same problem!

This is how I got it solved:

I mounted the Restore-dmg-file! Than I opened Dis Utility and created a new Image from the mounted restore-dmg with the read-write option. After the new dmg was created mounted this one and only modified the OSInstall.pkg! Thats iT!

I Just really want to find you and shake your hand! I've been working on getting past that part for hours! THANK YOU!!

This has worked perfectly for me as well. I used the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.3 and Azalia and now wireless and sound runs perfectly.

I was wondering what this QE CI terminal code does to improve the graphics?

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

another thing, how can i boot up my system without haveing to type in: mach_kernel.orig?

good luck with it all

1. Find your 10.4.3 Extensions
  2. Copy IONetworkingFamily.kext, and IO80211Family.kext to 10.4.4 /system/library/extensions
  3. Run the Disk utility and repair permissions on your 10.4.4 instalation
  4. Reboot

Thanks, MarineCorps97, I did what you say and now I'm writing this from 10.4.4. ;)