[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Well I'm still experimenting...

I have some work to do in real life so it may take me a little longer, but based on where everyone is, i think doing a few things should get this to work.

before I read this topic, I removed all my i830 files to the desktop and rebooted...blue screen.

I booted with external display...CI and QE supported.

Moved the i830 files back

Blue screen

booted on laptop with -s -f

rebooted

laptop boots straight into Mac os (without external display) but gives message:

'System Extension cannot be used. The system extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleInteli830.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used.'

CI and QE supported.

before I read this topic, I removed all my i830 files to the desktop and rebooted...blue screen.

I booted with external display...CI and QE supported.

Moved the i830 files back

Blue screen

booted on laptop with -s -f

rebooted

laptop boots straight into Mac os (without external display) but gives message:

'System Extension cannot be used. The system extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleInteli830.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used.'

CI and QE supported.

once you type -s what do you type to get into the GUI?

Okay, basically after about 9 tries and 6 osx re-installations in one week.. i've finally got it... now i have to write this quickly because im in a bit of a rush, i have to study for an exam tomorrow and its 2:30 in the morning.... so forgive me if i'm a bit unclear.. but i'll try my best.

Firstly thanks to the following people for providing help: JaS, lamer0 and Marcp1967.

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

- AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

3. Copy all of these to an external directory, and make a back up of them also. We need to modify them... but back them up just incase of anything.

4. right click the first kext file and go to "show package contents" then go to contents

5. right click the "Info.plist" file and go to open with --> other --> browse to "TextEdit"

6. use the search function (Applekey/Alt + F) and search for every and any value equaling to 0x25828086 or containing "2582".

7. Replace this value with "2592" and save the file.

------- Repeat steps 4 through to 7 for every kext file ----------

After this process is complete copy these files back to /system/library/extensions

8. Remove the AppleIntel830.kext file.

9. Open the terminal application and enter "sudo su", enter your password.

10. type the following in the terminal after logging in:

cd / <-- press enter

cd /system/library/extensions <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext   <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter.

11. Restart

Troubleshooting

If you are unable to start and you recieve a blue screen after Darwin has finished loading or after the grey screen with the apple logo (like me) connect an external monitor and restart. This should get you back into OSX.

-----------------------------

Good luck!

I hope it works for you all.

Tested and working on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

PS: By request i've uploaded my kext files, and their configuration. Again place these files in the /system/library/extensions folder and go through step 10.

when i try to save the first appleintel830.kext after editing it, it won't let me save, because it's a read-only file...also, in system profiler for video, it says my device id is 2582...

how do i change from read-only to whatever it is apple calls it?

and do i still have to replace all the 2582's with 2592's?

i just went and bought an intel 915gv mobo just for this

still no sound

video is choppy,lagging bad

i have applied the coregraphics and maxxuss .4_1 patch

i have an sse3 capable cpu

my boot time is like 10-15 seconds,no need to use any (-x,-s,-f), no password log-in... maxtor 16 meg cache,7200rpm

if anyone can help, i'd appreciate it

when i try to save the first appleintel830.kext after editing it, it won't let me save, because it's a read-only file...also, in system profiler for video, it says my device id is 2582...

still no sound

my boot time is like 10-15 seconds,no need to use any (-x,-s,-f), no password log-in...  maxtor 16 meg cache,7200rpm

i figured out the read/write..i booted by using the -x

i just began to edit the files

i finally figured this fix out and i am about to reboot

it did not help, it made it so that i only have 1 resolution, so i tried to copy the original files with the edited ones and rebooted and got a few warnings about the extensions not in use...

all i want is sound and video

other than that, everything seems to work and i have done the coregraphics "un"patch and maxxuss's latest, but kept the sse3 (did not apply the sse3 emulation)

still no sound

my boot time is like 10-15 seconds,no need to use any (-x,-s,-f), no password log-in...  maxtor 16 meg cache,7200rpm

if you have an SSE3 enabled CPU you do NOT APPLY ANY PATCHES BESIDES ROSETTA. You can install directly via the DVD since you obviously have the right chipset (915). YOU DO NOT APPLY ANY OTHER PATCHES BESIDES ROSETTA FOR AN SSE3 CAPABLE CPU@%&@(%%

Guest User Name

Hi @all,

Is there any final Solution to the External Monitor Problem?

Everything works perfect on my MSI 260 Laptop with i915gm Graphics, except i have to connect an external monitor on EVERY Reboot.

I tried everything, but nothing is working.........

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi @all,

Is there any final Solution to the External Monitor Problem?

Everything works perfect on my MSI 260 Laptop with i915gm Graphics, except i have to connect an external monitor on EVERY Reboot.

I tried everything, but nothing is working.........

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Your not alone... i've tried everything to stop myself from plugging in an external monitor to my laptop on every boot... its very annoying...

although for some strange reason one of the times i restarted.. i forgot to put the monitor in and it worked...! so i restarted again to see if it would work again... and it did.... and then i restarted again to see... n it stopped...

so i'm really not sure...... i hope someone can find a solution..

BOOM!

So yeah, it wasn't working.

Configuration:

0.4 patch installed, ALL kext files (915, 830 and integratedgraphics) edited and in the correct folder.

Kexts 915 and coregraphics actually activated/enabled/wheeled.

Blue screen, avoidable wth external monitor but no way of using original monitor.

At the darwin promt before bootup, i typed "?" and read a bit.

Then, when I started up, i entered "-f".

Now I'm in mac and everybody's happy. CG and QE work, as does sound and everything else.

This command bypasses the startup files, and basically does things "it's own way".

It gives a message about the 830 kext when in mac after logging in, but I'll try without that file now.

Try it out, let me know. If you still have problems, I'll post all my files and instructions.

Urby3 over, out, and happy!

BOOM!

Configuration:

0.4 patch installed, ALL kext files (915, 830 and integratedgraphics) edited and in the correct folder.

Blue screen, avoidable wth external monitor but no way of using original monitor.

Now I'm in mac and everybody's happy. CG and QE work, as does sound and everything else.

This command bypasses the startup files, and basically does things "it's own way".

It gives a message about the 830 kext when in mac after logging in, but I'll try without that file now.

Try it out, let me know. If you still have problems, I'll post all my files and instructions.

congrats.. :huh:

for some reason 0.4 seems to really hate my computer.. it can't keep applications open for longer then 5 minutes.. and once one of them crashes.. they all crash right at the same time...

anyway removing the 830 file should work.

BOOM!

Configuration:

Not Working on a Dell Latitude X1, which has an 915G Chipset (the GMA900 integrated video card).

I've installed from Deadmoo's, applied Maxxuss patches (0.4_1), and install the Kext files (AppleIntel915.kext, NOT AppleIntel830.kext).

But it still doesn't works :( . All i get is CG and QE working BUT booting with an external monitor connected. Without external monitor, it doesn't pass the blue screen.

Could you please post the EXACT secuence of steps you did to get it working?

Not Working on a Dell Latitude X1, which has an 915G Chipset (the GMA900 integrated video card).

I've installed from Deadmoo's, applied Maxxuss patches (0.4_1), and install the Kext files (AppleIntel915.kext, NOT AppleIntel830.kext).

But it still doesn't works  :) . All i get is CG and QE working BUT booting with an external monitor connected. Without external monitor, it doesn't pass the blue screen.

Maxxuss 0.4_1? I thought 0.4 was the newest version. I have the same setup as Urby3 and all is working for me. Now only if I could get my wireless card to work.

But it still doesn't works  :lol: . All i get is CG and QE working BUT booting with an external monitor connected. Without external monitor, it doesn't pass the blue screen.

I'm pretty sure all the 915G Chipsets are for SSE3 capable CPU's so DO NOT APPLY The PATCH%*@#(%

Why can't people read that you don't need any patch (except Rosetta) if you have an SSE3 capable CPU.

I'm pretty sure all the 915G Chipsets are for SSE3 capable CPU's so DO NOT APPLY The PATCH%*@#(%

Why can't people read that you don't need any patch (except Rosetta) if you have an SSE3 capable CPU.

My CPU is SSE2 because it has a centrino CPU... therefore it needs the patches.. even though i have a GMA900 card.

But it still doesn't works  :lol: . All i get is CG and QE working BUT booting with an external monitor connected. Without external monitor, it doesn't pass the blue screen.

Sorry those were my exact steps... in the first post... I suggest you remove all the modified kexts.. restore the originals... and boot into osx again... then go through all the steps again...

I would also suggest trying to boot with the 830 kext loaded first... and then removing it after.... play around with switches aswell.. such as -f.

good luck.

ok here's another update:

- If you are dual booting for example xp and osx like me... try going into xp first.. and then booting into osx.. with the -f switch... and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR attached...

that should also work.. i just tried it twice.....

- In general try booting with the -f swtich....

- On a side note.. if you are experience sluggish performance.. not just on the graphical side.. but in general... make sure you repair your permissions this can be done by opening the terminal and entering the following:

sudo -s <-- Press enter

cd / <-- Press enter

diskutil repairPermissions / <-- Press enter

it might take a minute or two.. maybe more.. depending on what your file permissions look like...

I just noticed that after i did this... everything is working fine.. and not a single application has crashed...

I hope this helps...

I'll put it on the front page aswell

Yes, it's 0.4_1 , as you can see in this post

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...findpost&p=4996

So, can you post in detail your configuration and steps?

Thanks, I didn't know about that. My setup is:

Dell Inspiron 6000

Intel 915GL chipset

GMA900 video

Celeron M 1.3ghz

256mb DDR2

60gb SATA

1) I used dd in windows to write the image to a second partition on my primary hard drive.

2) Modified boot.ini and put chain0 file in root of C drive.

3) Installed Maxxuss 0.4 SSE3 to SSE2 Patch.

4) Installed kext files from this thread.

I have full sound support. Full power management except it crashs upon wake from sleep. Full QE support. My CD-R works. It runs great, pretty stable. Programs run well for the most part. Itunes wouldn't launch all the time. But when it did it was stable playing songs off of a networked PC and my powerbook.

It feels pretty close to my 1.33ghz g4 when running maybe ichat and safari. 3 or more programs and the system slows down some. My G4 with 1gb DDR333 ram on the other hand is almost impossible to slow down.

The only problem that irks me is the blue screen problem. The -f command did not work for me. I am going to try a permissions repair later when I get home. All in all I am quite impressed with the speed. For a budget system with only 256mb ram, it runs great. I bet with 512mb it would run like a champ. :blink: