[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

It works if I hookup an external display, and then I get the QE, CI and resolution settings, but on a standard boot I get the blue screen.  Also, the -s -f switches didn't work.

damn why dont i get ci then hmmm

i have 865 chipset tho

can someone please post the unmodified appleintel830.kext for me i want to try something

Go to the Display Preferences in System Preferences and in there you should see your two screens under a tab called "arrangement" or something, one of these screens will hav a white bar inside... move this whitebar to your latptop screen.. and then simply unplug the external monitor and select "Detect displays" this will remove the secondary display.

The only issue is.. everytime i start osx, i have to start it with an external monitor connected...

hmmm i got it to boot with the external monitor but theres no arrangement tab.... any idea how to switch it to my laptop monitory any other way?

bsod

hmmm i got it to boot with the external monitor but theres no arrangement tab.... any idea how to switch it to my laptop monitory any other way?

bsod

You probably have to hit your Output key on your laptop twice so it thinks it's displaying on both displays instead of just your secondary, same thing happend to me and after I did this the arranegment tab showed up. When it does, just drag the white bar from the one display to the other and then you can unplug the seconday display.

altho i have QE supported i havent been able to get CI support for my 865 chipset

so i tried some things and i get as far as

cant alloc class "intel830" at boot up it will still boot

anyone know where these classes r located so i can wright on in or my own or change intell915 to intel830?

a side note: after some time trying my ati 9600 i also got to this point and had to stop

soooo... if i can figure this out myabe i can get support for ATI cards

You probably have to hit your Output key on your laptop twice so it thinks it's displaying on both displays instead of just your secondary, same thing happend to me and after I did this the arranegment tab showed up.  When it does, just drag the white bar from the one display to the other and then you can unplug the seconday display.

Tried that... no go. Which, solidifies my idea that it's a video BIOS issue.

altho i have QE supported i havent been able to get CI support for my 865 chipset

anyone know where these classes r located so i can wright on in or my own or change intell915 to intel830?

a side note: after some time trying my ati 9600 i also got to this point and had to stop

well can someone give me some info or atleast a reply

You probably have to hit your Output key on your laptop twice so it thinks it's displaying on both displays instead of just your secondary, same thing happend to me and after I did this the arranegment tab showed up.  When it does, just drag the white bar from the one display to the other and then you can unplug the seconday display.

output key (function + f4) doesnt seem to work in Mac OS X... :) but what is funny is that i just rebooted to go into windows, and accidently started mac os without a ext monitor and it booted right up into 1280x800 with CI and QE but i know that when i reboot again it will probably not work.... anyone have any idea how to make mac os force switch monitors without the output key?

output key (function + f4) doesnt seem to work in Mac OS X...  :)  but what is funny is that i just rebooted to go into windows, and accidently started mac os without a ext monitor and it booted right up into 1280x800 with CI and QE but i know that when i reboot again it will probably not work.... anyone have any idea how to make mac os force switch monitors without the output key?

Like I said, on some systems it is clearly working, on some it is not. I suspect it is the video BIOS, so, the best thing you can do to isolate the issue is boot into Windows, open the GMA900 control panel and post your video BIOS version.

Mine is 1222 (HP dv4155cl).

Like I said, on some systems it is clearly working, on some it is not.  I suspect it is the video BIOS, so, the best thing you can do to isolate the issue is boot into Windows, open the GMA900 control panel and post your video BIOS version.

Mine is 1222 (HP dv4155cl).

i also have the dv4000 also, as the dv1000 seems to work i have a feeling that it is not the bios but the display id (dv1000 and 4000 have different size screens etc), when i plug in my flat screen monitor it not only works but recognizes it by name. when i successfully get mac os to boot with QE and CI on laptop alone, the display is recognized as blank. i guess ill just be contempt with 1024x768 with/out CI and QE for now until maybe intel comes out with driver support (praying) or atleast somesort of universal workaround....

You should be able to get 1280x800 working, just patch AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext and leave the rest alone. So, it may be either the Device ID or possibly the display interface.

The more I think about it, it could be that the dv4000 is using a DVI link, and the dv1000 is using a VGA link internally (not on the cable, but on the input to the GMA on the motherboard), which would explain why the GMA900 is working on some and not others.

I'm reformatting now everyone,

I'm going to reapply the 0.4 SSE2 patch and the 915 drivers... i'll also apply the -f switch and see if it works.. (thanks JaS)... i'll let you know how it goes....

Also, the reason i am reinstalling OSX is because i installed the ATA drivers.. and they seemed to mess everything up... so i couldnt boot into OSX or darwin... :)

Do you mean the driver source, so that you can get at the classes in the compiled driver?

well iwas waiting fro a reply from anyone .. cos you know how it gets when you help out ppl and noone give you an answer its just fustrating ...

but what iwanted to know is if anyone knows were the lasses for the chipsets r listed i need to edit or make my own

Okay here's the 411 (The update..):

- Re-installed osx (natively)

- Reapplied 0.4 SSE3 emulation patches (adium keeps crashing for some incredably annoying reason... this didn't happen before)

- Reapplied the Intel Graphics Kext files... now this is what i noticed... when i first re-applied them i automatically removed the 830 kext... and restart... but for somereason... it just booted right back up again normally... as if there were no changes... SO... i replaced the 830 kext file... rebooted.. and let the OS read the kext file.. then i removed it and rebooted and it worked....

- I THINK its working without an external monitor... im yet to fiddle with this... properly..... but i know i unplugged the monitor once and it worked..

- Quartz Extreme is working.

what bios do yu have .. gan you set the agp apt size?

you have no settings for you onboard vid at all?

It is just some Compaq HP D530 SFF. System Profiler says BIOS 786b2/v2.18. But, they've not really updated it.

The only video options are for AGP aperture. Which I've left at 64, but 128 doesn't seem to change much.

Oh, my device ID is 0x2572, so shouldn't the default 830 kexts be working for me?

Nevermind my last reply...

I used JaS' files and it works fine. Boots right up w/out safe mode (super fast, too!). It won't let me change the display resolution in display prefs, though (trying at bootprompt, now). Also, it doesn't like my USB system and complains it is using too much power, even w/nothing plugged into it. And, no support for my PCI video (ancient voodo3 3000 lol), so maybe I'll find some low profile PCI card w/better support.

Are you using any platform statements at boot? I've not tried them, yet. It is showing HT enabled and SSE3 in System Profiler currently, though.

EDIT: This gives me 1280x1024 and HT is enabled again. At boot prompt: "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" platform=ACPI. Still getting the USB error, but at least it is working fine (QE shows enabled as does HT) other than that.

Nevermind my last reply...

I used JaS' files and it works fine.  Boots right up w/out safe mode (super fast, too!).  It won't let me change the display resolution in display prefs, though (trying at bootprompt, now).  Also, it doesn't like my USB system and complains it is using too much power, even w/nothing plugged into it.  And, no support for my PCI video (ancient voodo3 3000 lol), so maybe I'll find some low profile PCI card w/better support.

Are you using any platform statements at boot?  I've not tried them, yet.  It is showing HT enabled and SSE3 in System Profiler currently, though.

EDIT:  This gives me 1280x1024 and HT is enabled again.  At boot prompt:  "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" platform=ACPI.  Still getting the USB error, but at least it is working fine (QE shows enabled as does HT) other than that.

Good to hear you got it working....