• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
outZider, you the man! I'll try this out soon and let you know how it goes!

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Quick question before I install the kext... could I just simply use Kext Helper instead?

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Quick question before I install the kext... could I just simply use Kext Helper instead?

Nope, will conflict with the existing driver. I'll have an installer up this afternoon, if you'd like to wait for that instead.

popophobia

popophobia

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Hmm, I've bump into the problem with unable to turn the card on (Turn Airport On button didn't work).

I accidentally turn it on by going to Safari, and click on diagnose network. Then, keep pushing forward until the wizard asks you to turn on the Airport, check the box and wallah, it's on. Though, the status of the card is still red (failed), but it connects to network and I am posting as we speak. The LED for wifi does not turn on either. Quite strange.

Here a screenshot attached to this problem. If you pay attention, you see that the network is working ok, but the airport icon in the menu top bar is still "Unconnected", as well as the Network setting in Preferences. Any idea how should I fix this?

I have Atheros card (5424 I think) with the ID 168c,1014. I did apply the IO80211Family.kext as suggested from the intel airport update from apple (download it somewhere off the net)

PM me or reply to my post, since everything seems to be lost after a few days in this thread.

Attached Files

popophobia

popophobia

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Ok, after the 10th times installing Mac, I think I figure out a few place that need to focus more on to get a *perfect* install:

1. On your first boot, you HAVE to let it boot in normal mode and freeze. Or you'll get a infinite "Do you already own a Mac?" loop. Boot in safe mode later.

2. Restart after every install. Including the kernel update, which does not require restart.

3. The wireless card is just shear luck. I've got it working fully. Which is awesome. I think I'll make a huge back up just in case. Fix your Wireless network after you're done with the Graphic fix.

4. Powermanagement fix comes after this.

There, after about the 5th trial, I finally get it right.

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I want to give a heads-up: thermal management isn't quite there yet. I was playing Age of Empires III with a friend (over WiFi with her real MacBook and my X61T Hac) and it got hot to the point where my computer's BIOS kicked in and powered off my computer.

Once I put a fanned cooling pad under my computer we were able to start a new game and play through just fine. I should note that while it did run very well in OS X, I never had it get this hot playing the game under Vista.

For audio I used a USB adapter with optical output. Edirol something-or-another.

So... if you're planning on gaming make sure you have a way to cool the machine!

popophobia

popophobia

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I want to give a heads-up: thermal management isn't quite there yet. I was playing Age of Empires III with a friend (over WiFi with her real MacBook and my X61T Hac) and it got hot to the point where my computer's BIOS kicked in and powered off my computer.

Once I put a fanned cooling pad under my computer we were able to start a new game and play through just fine. I should note that while it did run very well in OS X, I never had it get this hot playing the game under Vista.

For audio I used a USB adapter with optical output. Edirol something-or-another.

So... if you're planning on gaming make sure you have a way to cool the machine!

Actually just from browsing the net, the temperature can shoot upward around 65oC. and the fan is still on low speed. Not very healthy.

I'm curious if anyone tried speedstep or CPUThrottler on this machine (10.5.2). I'd love to lower a voltage a little, or at least lower the speed.

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
My apologies for not being around a while, I only had a little time to be able to work with this. I do have good news, though -- the serial tablet is now being detected on my ThinkPad X61. I will be knocking out some of the debug code after I get back from work today and unleashing it on you guys at around 5pm PDT.

We still have to work on TabletMagic calibration, but we will at least be at the point where we can ask within the TabletMagic thread and see what Scott has to say.

I am very, VERY happy.

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Enclosed is ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext, in a tar-gz archive. You can use kexthelper to install this extension, it will load before the Apple serial driver and allow the tablet port to be detected successfully. You will have to replace 'PNP0501' with 'WACF004' in your /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist, or to have access to both the tablet and your built in serial port, create an array with both values. An example info.plist is provided.

Once you reboot, you will be able to configure TabletMagic. I have found the following settings to work well:
Extras
> Don't Query Digitizer
> Range 24570x18430
Enabled
Mapping
> Select [all]
> Select [< constrain <]
> Select [max]

Seemed to work okay for me. Select Launch At Startup if it works well for you.

This kext may kernel panic your system or kill your family like the mafia. If it does work for you, let me know, and I'll put it on page 1 and send it to the TabletMagic thread.

Attached Files

popophobia

popophobia

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Great news. I'm off to try it right now.

edit: yay, it works!!!

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

edit: yay, it works!!!

Sweet!

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Holy {censored}, this is the coolest {censored} to hit the interwebs in a long time.

I just gotta pull out my Ubuntu drive, stick in my Mac drive, and reboot. I'll give it a spin =)

On a related note: I am officially Microsoft free: I returned from a night of partying and found myself wanting to use Skype, so I picked up my silent computer and went ahead swapping out the Leopard drive for the Vista drive. Then powered it on. Surprise surprise... it wasn't off, it was asleep!

Leopard must have done something or another to the drive. Vista refused to boot after that (something having to do with unverified DLL's?). Tried disk-checking it and all, but no go. At least all the data is still there.

After backing up the data, I installed Ubuntu. Its quite cool actually.
Anyways, time for me to give the MacTablet a spin!!!

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Seems like a no-go here =(

TabletMagic detects the tablet as ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)
This is TabletMagic 2.0b13
For the install of outZider's enabler I used kext helper, and then I stuck in his customized plist as indicated in ACPI. I then repaired permissions using diskutil.

As far as I can tell, TabletMagic is detecting the tablet, but is showing no data from it. This machine has an SXGA+. Are you guys using the SXGA+ or the multi-touch 1024x768?

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Seems like a no-go here =(

TabletMagic detects the tablet as ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)
This is TabletMagic 2.0b13
For the install of outZider's enabler I used kext helper, and then I stuck in his customized plist as indicated in ACPI. I then repaired permissions using diskutil.

As far as I can tell, TabletMagic is detecting the tablet, but is showing no data from it. This machine has an SXGA+. Are you guys using the SXGA+ or the multi-touch 1024x768?

SXGA+. Go to your Console, do a search in 'All Messages' for TabletEnabler, copy those lines, and send it over.

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok, will do. Before I do that I wanted to note that ThinkPadTabletEnabler is not showing up in the list of kexts in System Profiler. Should it?

Hrm, i don't see an 'All Messages' but when I type 'TabletEnabler' into the filter box in the corner I get no listings.

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Ok, will do. Before I do that I wanted to note that ThinkPadTabletEnabler is not showing up in the list of kexts in System Profiler. Should it?

Hrm, i don't see an 'All Messages' but when I type 'TabletEnabler' into the filter box in the corner I get no listings.

It won't appear. Its only job is to come up as a namematch, activate all of the services, and then detach itself. When the serial driver loads, it'll find a node ready to be used. Verify that the permissions on ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext are okay, and try doing a kextload -t ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext.

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Kexload tells me that it appears to be loadable, and then tells me it has successfully loaded it. Killed the TabletMagic daemon and then restarted it. No dice. Still not seeing anything for TabletEnabler in Console.

I have my wireless switch off, which on this computer does not affect WiFi (only BT). Do I need that on? I also noticed that the wireless switch doesn't seem to be enabling BT at the moment... hrm...

Did you guys install that recent Leopard security update? I didn't. Though I did install the new Safari 3.1.

outZider: you are so incredibly the mack-daddy of the entire world for getting back to me so quick on this.

EDIT: Bluetooth isn't working in Ubuntu either. I might need to find a way into Vista to reenable it first. Not a big deal. Also want to note that I know my tablet hardware is fine, because it works (pressure sensitivity and all) in Ubuntu. Maybe I'm just really stupid when it comes to OS X? I like to think not...

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Is there a specific order you recommend for installing TabletMagic, installing the enabler, and fixing the ACPI info.plist? Reboot in between steps? I first installed TabletMagic, kext helper'd the enabler, replaced the info.plist with yours, did a diskutil permissions repair, and then restarted.

Was it a mistake to use diskutil to repair permissions? Should I have edited my ACPI serial info.plist instead of just replacing it with yours?

Thanks.

EDIT: FIXED FIXED FIXED!!! I just tried kext helper on the enabler again and restarted. Then I just had to make sure TabletMagic was using the right serial port. Not sure why it didn't work before (before it just showed pci-serial3).

THANKS THANKS THANKS! YOU'RE MY HERO!

outZider

outZider

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
So when ThinkPadTabletEnabler loads, then you load Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext, does ioreg show anything attached to DTR?I'm all up to date.

Is there a specific order you recommend for installing TabletMagic, installing the enabler, and fixing the ACPI info.plist? Reboot in between steps? I first installed TabletMagic, kext helper'd the enabler, replaced the info.plist with yours, did a diskutil permissions repair, and then restarted.Was it a mistake to use diskutil to repair permissions? Should I have edited my ACPI serial info.plist instead of just replacing it with yours?Thanks.

Order shouldn't matter -- you can do it all at the same time and reboot. The enabler needs to be there to start the device, the ACPI fix needs to be there for the serial driver to match it. TabletMagic is only communicating with a serial device. In TabletMagic, do you have a serial0 available in the port list?

hardboiledwonderland

hardboiledwonderland

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
So its all fixed up now and cool =) you will forever have my gratitude. And perhaps, one day, my donation as well?

I have to say, Ink really sucks compared to Vista's handwriting recognition ;) but that's not your fault, and its not a big deal anyways.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy