[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi on my Vostro 1400 I successfully used the trick I found elsewhere on this thread.

Set up one of your hot corners to "sleep display".

As soon as you boot up and before you start

any sound-related apps go to your hot corner and sleep the

screen then unsleep it.

Your sound should now work.

This is a great tip!!!

Unfortunately some people find they can't come out of

"sleep display".

It worked ok for me.

Good luck.

Almost everything working on my 1530, except the audio (besides fan sensors and sleep). I used the STAC9228_0x83847616 and it worked great after one reboot, after that the devices still show up but no sound. I installed AppleACPIPowerSource.kext and sound worked again after first reboot, but not after more. Used the NVInstaller again and go figure, sound worked when I rebooted but the next reboot nothing.

Kalyway 10.5.1, vanilla, did not convert to EFI strings yet

I got it to sleep by removing IOUSBFamily.kextPerhaps we can script it to unload IOUSBFamily, let the script sleep while the laptop sleeps, after the laptop comes back on when we power up, the script stops sleeping and reloads the kext?I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 with Vanilla and EFI
I wondered myself if bluetooth was something to do with it as on mine, when it does sleep briefly, the bluetooth icon flashes first then it powers on .I tried disabling bluetooth in the bios and it didnt make a difference.

I can always get sound to work now by attempting to make the laptop sleep, when it wakes straight away the sound works every time.

Boot off your iATKOS or Kalyway DVD and go into Terminal, startupfiletool and bless should be in there already.

Thanks so much. The manual bootlader worked and I managed to install iATKOS but it keeps restarting and never boots into Leopard. I tried booting with -s -x, same result..

I am trying to get my Vostro 1400 working. I downloaded the iATKOS1.0ir2 dvd, but it fails to work.

The processes I have tried are as follows (ALL FAILING to blinking cursor):

1.) Use gparted to setup FAT32 partition

2.) Boot into DVD, use Disk Utility to erase FAT32 partition to HFS+ Journaled.

3.) Install with Bootloader box checked (Darwin x86 bootloader and EFI stuff)

4.) Boot back to gparted and set bootable flag.

FAILS.

Next attempt

1.) Boot to DVD, use Disk Utility to create partition map (ensuring MBR is selected) to HFS+ Journaled

2.) Install with just Bootloader and EFI checked

3.) Boot to gparted to set bootable flag.

FAILS.

I have tried the above in almost every combination I can think of. I do not have a windows partition setup yet and do not really care to dual boot or not. I bought this Vostro 1400 as a cheap macbook until I start my new job and can get a MBP, I am on the edge of returning it. Someone help? I am SURE someone has the answer.

Vostro 1400

X3100 GFX

2GB DDR2

No webcam or bluetooth

Guys,

As soon as my sound "broke" and stopped working... I said to my self I want a computer that works.. So I formatted my drive, and installed XP, then I installed vista, then explorer just wouldnt launch and had to install vista again... SO...,

This weekend I plan to install iATKOS again (if i can find my install CD's)....

but I have a few questions......

1. are there new nvidia kexts, that allow for sleep/shutdown?

2. Do I need to install PC-EFI to get the best experience?

3. Can someone make an installer that installs everything... or a script that installs the audio drivers, the power managment, graphic's kexts, and everything else?

Thanks

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank Macgirl for her amazing posts and contributions. Eres lo máximo!!!

After a few weeks of intensive research and with the help of Macgirl's guide, this is what works:

- Dell M1330 4GB men 160GB drive w/ iATKOS v1.0ir2 updated to 10.5.2. (Netkas update guide & research)

- Dual Core support (EFI 8 & vanillas)

- Dual boot with Vista Ultimate and MacOS X Leopard & Parallels w/ Bootcamp boot. (loads of research)

- Sound works w/ cold restart (Netkas EFI and Macgirl's guide)

- WiFi works (Dell 1500 Broadcom wireless ABGN card)

- Keyboard & trackpad (AppleAPCIPlatform.kext from my 10.5.1)

- Time Machine with remote drive works (a little research was needed)

- Video Nvidia works w/ 128MB & QE (scottdangel.com NVInstaller v.33)

- Cam (OTB)

- Bluetooth (OTB)

- Fingerprint scanner (Macgirl's suggestion)

- iLife 2008 apps (so far all of them)

- Office 2008 (few unexpected crashes...)

BTW: I bought a retail MacOS X 10.5 to make sure my install was as vanilla as possible.

What does not work:

- Shutdown & Reboot (known problem; will create gfx string once I figure it out)

- Sleep

- Power Management (working on it)

- SpeedStep not sure (unit runs hot & fast battery drain)

- Onboard Ethernet (no working driver available)

- SD card reader (not sure if there is anyone working on this)

- WWAN GSM HSPDA (not expected; even Dell's driver and app is real bad)

- Onboard Mic array (I think there is no driver)

Thanks,

JFA

You could recover the kernel from any of the Install DVDs, also there is one kernel in the SpeedStep kit/package (see 1st post).

I did everything in the instructions for the speedtep package and it still doesn't work ~_~

although, I did get the speedstep package set up now. Now if I could only get it to shut down and reboot properly... and of course the dmg part...

Ok, so I got a M1530.

Tried iaTKOS and KALYWAY. Neither seems to work. iATKOS can't seems to do the bootloader; both EFI and

otherwise seem to fail in the Darwin Utility as in it can't "unmouth disk" etc... Any ideas?

Thanks!

I had the same problem, no coding is neccesary..just use hiren boot cd or anyother bootable partitioning application(dont go to windows)..create a primary partition and dont formart it, leave it as unformatted(i use acronis Disk director suite bootable disk and it had that option) then go to "change the type" and then select something like "0AFh" or something like that,make sure Aand F is in it. Set it to active and then boot to iAtkos DVD, it will install fine,.,,but you can boot in to it. you have to create a widnows dualboot or you get "HFS+ partition Error"

more info on how to dualboot:

http://inihilist.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/...and-fool-proof/

anybody know how to make Geforce 8600M GT on M1530 work with iAtkos 10.5.1? i used the instruction in the 8xxx thread and install 10.5.2 package with my device id and....and i got black screen, the screen is on but its just black..Help me

tanx

anybody know how to make Geforce 8600M GT on M1530 work with iAtkos 10.5.1?

tanx

With kalyway 10.5.1, the kalyway 10.5.2 update package, and the new vanilla kernel I was able to follow this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=81294&st=0

8600m GT is working great in EFI mode on my 1530. Otherwise the NVInstaller worked in either 10.5.1 as well.

So I tried to update to 10.5.2 last night on my modified Kalyway install. I replaced the mach_kernel with another kernel that allowed speedsteping, which I backed up along with my whole extensions folder.

Followed the 10.5.2 update guide from natkos precisely and after installing the update and replacing 3 extensions (AppleHDA, AppleACPI, AppleSMBios) and renaming the old kernel to old_kernel, I rebooted, let it run, and it rebooted itself and seemed to be booting fine until it gave 4 errors on 4 kexts that it could not load (the 3 I replaced and 1 other one). Then it followed with a kernel panic. I proceeded to try to boot into single user mode to fix permissions of the kexts and delete NVInject.kext and Extensions.mkext, but for some reason I could not delete extensions.mkext because it said "This file is read-only blah blah". First question, how do I get around that, it gives the same error in single user mode AND in terminal on the install DVD? The command I use is: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. I tried to sudo in, but it just went to #bash something without prompting for password. (and sudo isnt a valid command on the install DVD terminal)

After fixing the permissions, I rebooted and this time I got a kernel panic right away after the apple loading screen. I went into windows and installed Macdrive, and manually deleted extensions.kext from there. I rebooted again and pressed F8 and typed in "old_kernel" to boot the old kernel I had in 10.5.1. It booted just fine (without graphics acceleration since I deleted NVInject.kext and extensions.mkext).

I then tried to install the new NVInject drivers version .33 with 128 megs and rebooted, and got another kernel panic while on the apple logo loading screen. I went back into windows and deleted nvinject.kext and extensions.mkext again and OSX loaded up again just fine. I tried to install the drivers again and, again, it kernel paniced at the loading screen. I tried to go back into windows to delete the extensions again, but macdrive is acting up and I cannot get into the OSX drive anymore... It says that there is something wrong with the drive structure etc etc

So my main question is how do you delete extensions.mkext from single user mode or the terminal from the Install DVD. I keep getting that it is a read-only file and cannot be deleted! My second question is, how do you get the new nvidia kexts 0.33 to work!?

Also, anyone know why macdrive isnt working anymore?, it just shows the drive, but I cannot access it anymore?

Also, so the speedstep and battery meter no longer works in 10.5.2, correct? I followed the guides for 10.5.1 to get the battery metter and speedstep to work and it still does not show up. Computer and specs are in sig

Please help! :(

Thanks!

new AppleSMBIOS kext and 9.2.0 speedstep kernel, see first post.

macgirl

I am a migrant from the uglier cousin m1210 and has been following your post very closely.

First of all, great job n every aspect. Be it updating, follow up or pointing the way.

I notice that the 1330 share some similar problem with the 1210 and you seem to have over come. That is the native res issue.

The inherent problem with loosing trackpad and usb mouse function when NVinjectGo.kext or any related kext is installed.

Recently I selectively install the new " AppleUSBMultitouch.kext " and acquire improved function of trackpad and usb mouse by 25% and 50%. That's a lot from 0%with just auditing the info.plist of ApplePS2Trackpad.kext (removing the Gide pad strng ). Can you comment on this issue? I will really appreciate it.

bump, I just really want to know how to delete a file in single user mode or off the install dvd's terminal...

Here is what ive tried, and the output:

:library root# sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm: Extensions.mkext: Read-only file system

sudo -s
sh-3.2# rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then I tried to use the "login" command and I cannot login using my default login name and pass from osx, is there a secret login for admin?

bump, I just really want to know how to delete a file in single user mode or off the install dvd's terminal...

Here is what ive tried, and the output:

:library root# sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo -s
sh-3.2# rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then I tried to use the "login" command and I cannot login using my default login name and pass from osx, is there a secret login for admin?

In single user mode you need to mount the main volume as writeable with "mount -uw /"

While you are in single user mode you are already root.

... or off the install dvd's terminal...

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I tell you a secret. When you write that, you are trying to delete from the DVD.

If you are on the install disc DVD you should try instead:

rm /Volumes/(insert name of your volume)/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

If you don´t know the name of the volume, press <tab> twice after you typed /Volumes/