[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Thanks MacGirl, and everyone else posting fixes here!

My Laptop:

Dell XPS M1530

2.5GHz 6MB cache

4GB RAM

80GB HDD (Spare not original)

nVidia 8600 256MB

I installed from the Kalyway 10.5.1 ISO

After the install I had to boot from the CD and use Terminal to move the AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext and the NVDAResman.kext out of Extensions.

Now the system booted, and started the setup process, but it does not recognize the M1530 Keyboard or Trackpad. I had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse to finish setup and to use the laptop with the OSX hard drive.

I have not read of anyone else having this problem with the M1530.

Any and all suggestions welcome,

gNOMEintheRedHat

Thanks MacGirl, and everyone else posting fixes here!

My Laptop:

Dell XPS M1530

2.5GHz 6MB cache

4GB RAM

80GB HDD (Spare not original)

nVidia 8600 256MB

After the install I had to boot from the CD and use Terminal to move the AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext and the NVDAResman.kext out of Extensions.

Now the system booted, and started the setup process, but it does not recognize the M1530 Keyboard or Trackpad. I had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse to finish setup and to use the laptop with the OSX hard drive.

gNOMEintheRedHat

Interesting. I Have pretty much the same system but my Keyboard and mouse worked from the beginning. Unfortunately I haven't dealt with that so I don't have a fix. I 'll see what I can find though. I think I did run across something.

What else is working/not working for you?

Interesting. I Have pretty much the same system but my Keyboard and mouse worked from the beginning. Unfortunately I haven't dealt with that so I don't have a fix. I 'll see what I can find though. I think I did run across something.

What else is working/not working for you?

Thanks pfloyd95,

I haven't been able to do too much with it yet.

WiFi works (dell 1490)

I don't think the monitor is at full res (1600x1050)

I tried loading the Dell drivers package from the Xscript thread but that's not running for me.

gNOMEintheRedHat

That is because you selected vanilla ACPI, so it needs an aditional kext called ACPIPS2nub, because the vanilla ACPI kext lacks the PS2 enabler for the ApplePS2Controller.kext

So it is very easy to fix, just add the ACPIPS2nub.kext and reboot.

That is because you selected vanilla ACPI, so it needs an aditional kext called ACPIPS2nub, because the vanilla ACPI kext lacks the PS2 enabler for the ApplePS2Controller.kextSo it is very easy to fix, just add the ACPIPS2nub.kext and reboot.
Thanks MacGirl,Kalyway 10.5.2 ISO (Intel & AMD) finished downloading last night so I decided to install fresh with that.The keyboard and trackpad work fine now, and the display is set to the proper resolution.Remote works!!!With Protector Suite the fingerprint scanner works.However there are a few other problems I'm seeing now.1) USB thumb drives don't mount unless they are pluged in at boot!?!2) I get a 5 second count down at boot, waiting for startup options.3) No sound (Installed the ALCinject & AppleHDA kext files) The Internal Speekers & Headphones show up as devices, but no sound out of either4) Shutdown and Restart don't (common I understand) (different kernel needed?)The WiFi card is recognized, but at work it can't connect (802.11 Authentication using MS-CHAP-v2)Thanks for all the help!gNOMEintheRedHatOK, USB drives are now working....I haven't changed anything...

still cant get the wifi to work with my dell 1490 card (seems like everybody elses works OTB)

when i looked in the library file where all my kexts were, for some reason i didnt have this IO802.11family.kext so i downloaded and installed it but STILL cant get it to work.. is this normal for osx to install without it?? any other suggestions??

i also tried uninstall / reinstalling 4 times so far and it hasnt worked on any of these attempts.. really strange.

This guide is very unclear, can anyone help point some directions on how to get it working properly? I have an M1530, and this compilation seems to be for too many different Dell versions that I believe it's hurting us more then helping. Wouldn't it be more wise to have separate Dell series of laptops, and install guides for them?

I installed Kalyway about 10 times today on my XPS and got pretty far in setting it up, until I realized that Time Machine didn't work. I then formatted my laptop and tried to run Time Machine from the very beginning (before any updates, still on 10.5.1) and could not get a working backup. This was using MBR (not GUID, which I may reformat and try again tomorrow). Has anyone had this problem?

Besides that, I think I'm driving myself nuts!

This guide is very unclear, can anyone help point some directions on how to get it working properly? I have an M1530, and this compilation seems to be for too many different Dell versions that I believe it's hurting us more then helping. Wouldn't it be more wise to have separate Dell series of laptops, and install guides for them?

I installed Kalyway about 10 times today on my XPS and got pretty far in setting it up, until I realized that Time Machine didn't work. I then formatted my laptop and tried to run Time Machine from the very beginning (before any updates, still on 10.5.1) and could not get a working backup. This was using MBR (not GUID, which I may reformat and try again tomorrow). Has anyone had this problem?

I'm not agree, this guide gives you all the keys to get your hardware working (and this not a thread about time machine). Time machine needs a GUID disk to run properly. (or a very clean MBR partition sheme)

:)

I'm still having trouble getting USB thumb drives to mount.

If I boot with a thumb drive in a port, "most" will mount when inserted, but if I don't have a drive connected when I boot NONE will mount...

When I boot with -s it is not seen in /Volumes/ even when booted with it connected.

Dell XPS M1530

2.5GHz 6MB Cache

4GB RAM

80GB HDD

nVidia 8600

This thread is not a Guide in first place, as its title says is a Compilation o many things necessary to have all the components working, and these laptops has several components in common. There are a lot of Installation Guides on the board. I did no try to guide you to how to install with X o Y "distribution" since I did my install with no distribution at all, even worst I install my Leopard with a real Mac onto my Lappy Disk, and it is not a popular way since most users don't have a Mac to do it.

This compilation will not tell you how to install a kext, how to repair permissions, how to delete files if they fail.

ATM it is even easier with sonotone's post install packages, one package for all components.

Reinstalling many times do not make some things to work, Audio for example, or shutdown/restart issue.

I think that you are accustomed to the Windows way of reinstalling every time something fails, Mac OS is different, I had installed Leopard just once on my Laptop, twice on my AMD rig because I want to make two different kinds of installations, one fresh install and the other upgrading my existent Tiger install.

The thing is though that Time Machine has issues even on Real Macs, but on hacks there is a very big issue since most of them don't have a "Native" Ethernet adapter and it is needed somehow to make it work properly. There are several threads that talk about Time Machines fixes, one of those suggest to make a fake Ethernet Adapter, another way is to make a gfx string for PC EFI V8.

here are some links to fix Time Machine btw:

This thread is not a Guide in first place, as its title says is a Compilation o many things necessary to have all the components working, and these laptops has several components in common. There are a lot of Installation Guides on the board. I did no try to guide you to how to install with X o Y "distribution" since I did my install with no distribution at all, even worst I install my Leopard with a real Mac onto my Lappy Disk, and it is not a popular way since most users don't have a Mac to do it.

This compilation will not tell you how to install a kext, how to repair permissions, how to delete files if they fail.

ATM it is even easier with sonotone's post install packages, one package for all components.

Reinstalling many times do not make some things to work, Audio for example, or shutdown/restart issue.

I think that you are accustomed to the Windows way of reinstalling every time something fails, Mac OS is different, I had installed Leopard just once on my Laptop, twice on my AMD rig because I want to make two different kinds of installations, one fresh install and the other upgrading my existent Tiger install.

The thing is though that Time Machine has issues even on Real Macs, but on hacks there is a very big issue since most of them don't have a "Native" Ethernet adapter and it is needed somehow to make it work properly. There are several threads that talk about Time Machines fixes, one of those suggest to make a fake Ethernet Adapter, another way is to make a gfx string for PC EFI V8.

here are some links to fix Time Machine btw:

First, I'm not trying to bash you and want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

To note, I have installed OSX86 successfully with Time Machine on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R that went smoothly with everything working. I am having a hard time on my XPS Laptop.

You are right, the title clearly states it being a compilation. But, that term does not work when you put a Vostro and XPS in the same thread because clearly those components don't work with each other. You may as well through in other Dell lines to make it more confusing, know what I mean? For example, the new sonotone compilation, it cleary does not state what is for what. I installed a few files from it thinking it would work on my XPS, but it turned out giving me boot errors due to it being only for the Inspiron.

Thus, I believe it's just too confusing having it all in one thread and may as well be in separate threads, or at least organized in way where it's like..

Inspiron

- File 1

- File 2

- File 3

XPS

- File 1

- File 2

- File 3

etc.

Lastly, the installation is very vague as we do not know which method to use. I'm now experimenting with Kalyway and iAtkos, but again it would be nice to know exactly which and what settings per model (like a Wiki by the users).

Hi,

I have a problem with my new m1330.

the spec :

T8100 2ghz

3go ram

200go 7200rpm

geforce 6800 gs

I have 3 rlz, the kalyway 10.5.1, the newest 10.5.2 and iaktos.

The kalyway version 10.5.1, install boot when he want, maybe crash, maybe ok for install, but when the os reboot after installing, i can't boot on leopard, i have a grey screen with please shutdown.

With the newest kalyway version 10.5.2, install boot, but crash with grey screen with please shutdown.. just after darwin.

The iaktos version, install boot work fine, however after the finish install rebooting, i have the same error like the kalyway version 10.5.1

I had testing with one cpu, double core off, and my system crash again and again.

I have one primary partition for xp (40go), second primary partition with hfs+ for leopard and third logycal in ntfs.

I need some help, its 20 times that i try to install with differents feartures.

thanks !

THANKS so much, Macgirl, for your EXCELLENT GUIDE!

I have, however, been trying to get sleep to work on my Vostro 1500 and am VERY CLOSE!!!

My laptop will sleep and will now wake from sleep, but the keyboard and trackpad won't wake up : (

If I plug in an external USB Mouse/Keyboard I can control the laptop, but this is obviously not ideal. . .

Does anyone know how to get my keyboard/trackpad to function again after my laptop wakes up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

THANKS so much, Macgirl, for your EXCELLENT GUIDE!

I have, however, been trying to get sleep to work on my Vostro 1500 and am VERY CLOSE!!!

My laptop will sleep and will now wake from sleep, but the keyboard and trackpad won't wake up : (

If I plug in an external USB Mouse/Keyboard I can control the laptop, but this is obviously not ideal. . .

Does anyone know how to get my keyboard/trackpad to function again after my laptop wakes up?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

My laptop have issues after waking up, I have the modded AppleACPIPlatform.kext, I will test if with the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform and ACPIPS2Nub kexts make the same thing after wake.

The issues I have after wake regularly are repeating keystrokes of a radom key, I fix that by pressing any key.

I think that the ApplePS2Controller.kext was not intented for sleep purposes, but I am not sure.

My laptop have issues after waking up, I have the modded AppleACPIPlatform.kext, I will test if with the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform and ACPIPS2Nub kexts make the same thing after wake.

The issues I have after wake regularly are repeating keystrokes of a radom key, I fix that by pressing any key.

I think that the ApplePS2Controller.kext was not intented for sleep purposes, but I am not sure.

I did a retail install on my Vostro 1500, didnt replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and sleep is working just fine.

I did a retail install on my Vostro 1500, didnt replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and sleep is working just fine.

Although my Vostro 1500 (x3100 graphics) is now waking from sleep and now SOMETIMES the trackpad/keyboard works. . . it doesn't ALWAYS work!!!

How do I do a 'Retail Install'? Is there a guide you could kindly point me to in order to do this? I would REALLY like to get sleep reliably working. . .

Thanks in advance!

Although my Vostro 1500 (x3100 graphics) is now waking from sleep and now SOMETIMES the trackpad/keyboard works. . . it doesn't ALWAYS work!!!

How do I do a 'Retail Install'? Is there a guide you could kindly point me to in order to do this? I would REALLY like to get sleep reliably working. . .

Thanks in advance!

Maybe you just need to wait some time until the keyboard/trackpad are activated.

I used a Retail Leopard DVD as it is out there in the Apple shops. Generally I wouldnt recommend this if you already got a nearly full working installation, it would save you really much time and trouble. You could try experimenting with Extensions and see what happens.

If you want to try it though, you can search for leopard retail installation. One good guide that helped me was this one.

EDIT: Just read you have an x3100... I got an nVidia GeForce 8600M GT. I cant tell you though, in how far the video card kexts influence the Sleep process and if there are any big differences concerning this between ATi and nVidia.

I have never had issues with my dell after coming up from sleep. But I have used the vanilla appleACPIplatform.kext with only adding AcpiPS2nub and ACPIPowersources to the plugins. I have modified my AppleSMBIOS myself so it works better, as well the pm.bundle. I am seriously looking at the shutdown/ restart issue, but there are no clear information about that subject, but my time to disassemble and look around and manually trace the nvidia kext are limited.

I was having the IOAPCI booting problem with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD on my m1330

Ok, so I took someone's advice and installed the Kalyway on an HP laptop, with my hard drive in it, and then put my hard drive back in my machine. I initially got a HFS+ Partition error. I flagged the osx partition and it booted just fine.Unfortunately, I don't remember what options I selected but they were basically the ones I needed for my machineNow, I just have to find a way to deal with audio and sleep doesn't work properly although I used the kabylkernel. I also understand that shutdown/restart doesn't work properly either, as expectedI was having the IOAPCI booting problem with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD on my m1330Ok, so I took someone's advice and installed the Kalyway on an HP laptop, with my hard drive in it, and then put my hard drive back in my machine. I initially got a HFS+ Partition error. I flagged the osx partition and it booted just fine.Unfortunately, I don't remember what options I selected but they were basically the ones I needed for my machineNow, I just have to find a way to deal with audio and sleep doesn't work properly although I used the kabylkernel. I also understand that shutdown/restart doesn't work properly either, as expected

I have never had issues with my dell after coming up from sleep. But I have used the vanilla appleACPIplatform.kext with only adding AcpiPS2nub and ACPIPowersources to the plugins. I have modified my AppleSMBIOS myself so it works better, as well the pm.bundle. I am seriously looking at the shutdown/ restart issue, but there are no clear information about that subject, but my time to disassemble and look around and manually trace the nvidia kext are limited.

May I ask which modifications you did to AppleSMBIOS and Powermgmnt and which results they have?

Thanks

Perhaps this is too simple of an inquiry, yet still after having had installed the recent 10.5.2 Kalyway distro, the webcam is no longer operational! Initially, it was recognized as an USB device but iChat could not locate it while Photo Booth could! After a 10.5.3 beta USB update, the integrated cam is no longer visible to the system at all. Can someone please offer some explanation as to the cause of this? Thank you in advance.