[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
4332 replies to this topic

imar3l

imar3l

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Post Installation Notes:

Working: Wireless, webcam, battery meter, Quartz extreme, volume control buttons
Not Working: HDA internal sound, sleep, power down, Yukon ethernet, media transport controls

Audio works perfectly with USB Sound Blaster MP3+ external sound device

iLife '06 installed and everything is working. A few weird problems with video refresh in GarageBand and elsewhere. Might be a driver quirk; but it's not a show stopper.

Thanks again to everyone. I hope these notes are helpful to you.

This is very wierd, i followed the exact instruction, but i dont have the battery meter...but i do have HDA internal sound...
and the shutdown isn't working as it was expected/// :P \
BTW, there is no broadcom chipset on m1530 por m1330...its all Yukon..

jfa

jfa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Found Bluetooth & iDisk problems

Hi all.

Macgirl, have you successfully used your Bluetooth and iDisk (.MAC)?

After settling in on my new machine (M1330 w/ 10.5.2) I've been finding little issues here and there.

The two issues that baffle me are:

1. Bluetooth problems

Before I configured the Bluetooth to pair up with my G3 Moto q9, the Bluetooth would always remain turned on after a shutdown or reboot cycle.
After successfully configuring bluetooth tethering between the GSM phone and my machine so as to have IP connectivity when I don't have a WiFi to connect to, my bluetooth turns itself off after any power related action (Shutdown, Reboot, Sleep).
The option to turn it back remains grayed out and the only way to turn it back on is to erase the paired device and start over again.
I haven't paired any other device (don't have one) to compare if it is only related to this type of device and service or if it is a general issue.

So far I can't figure it out, nor have found references to this problem.

Just in case this is the Log from my console after trying to sleep the unit (as an example):

Feb 19 01:27:38 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: System Sleep
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: System Wake
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: USB caused wake event (EHCI)
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: [InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 1.
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::terminateWL .. done
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: <CFArray 0x127b20 [0xa05831a0]>{type = mutable-small, count = 1, values = (
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: 0 : <CFString 0x127ae0 [0xa05831a0]>{contents = "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/PPP.menu"}
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: )}
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothBNEPDriver: Ethernet address 00:1c:26:f1:d3:05
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Up on en1

2. iDisk Problems

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro Quad Tower besides my Dell M1330. On the authentic Macs I have no problems accessing iDisk from my .MAC account.
On the other hand, when I try from my Dell with 10.5.2 vanilla, I get an error code -50 "Your iDisk cannot be accessed. Your member name or password may be invalid".
Any insight?

Thanks,
JFA

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

This is very wierd, i followed the exact instruction, but i dont have the battery meter...but i do have HDA internal sound...
and the shutdown isn't working as it was expected/// :P \
BTW, there is no broadcom chipset on m1530 por m1330...its all Yukon..

Oh, I just visit support.dell.com, didn't know that Dell use Marvell cards, wow. Does the AppleYukon.kext or AppleYukon2.kext work?
I should add that on the first post.

Hi all.

Never used it, even on my PowerBook :D

Pyr0

Pyr0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi all.

After settling in on my new machine (M1330 w/ 10.5.2) I've been finding little issues here and there.

The two issues that baffle me are:

1. Bluetooth problems

Before I configured the Bluetooth to pair up with my G3 Moto q9, the Bluetooth would always remain turned on after a shutdown or reboot cycle.
After successfully configuring bluetooth tethering between the GSM phone and my machine so as to have IP connectivity when I don't have a WiFi to connect to, my bluetooth turns itself off after any power related action (Shutdown, Reboot, Sleep).
The option to turn it back remains grayed out and the only way to turn it back on is to erase the paired device and start over again.
I haven't paired any other device (don't have one) to compare if it is only related to this type of device and service or if it is a general issue.

So far I can't figure it out, nor have found references to this problem.

Just in case this is the Log from my console after trying to sleep the unit (as an example):

Feb 19 01:27:38 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: System Sleep
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: System Wake
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: USB caused wake event (EHCI)
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: [InterruptReadHandler] Received kIODeviceNotResponding error - retrying: 1.
Feb 19 01:27:39 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::terminateWL .. done
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: <CFArray 0x127b20 [0xa05831a0]>{type = mutable-small, count = 1, values = (
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: 0 : <CFString 0x127ae0 [0xa05831a0]>{contents = "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/PPP.menu"}
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[488]: )}
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothBNEPDriver: Ethernet address 00:1c:26:f1:d3:05
Feb 19 01:27:42 xps-m1330 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Up on en1

2. iDisk Problems

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Pro Quad Tower besides my Dell M1330. On the authentic Macs I have no problems accessing iDisk from my .MAC account.
On the other hand, when I try from my Dell with 10.5.2 vanilla, I get an error code -50 "Your iDisk cannot be accessed. Your member name or password may be invalid".
Any insight?

Thanks,
JFA

Same thing happens on my powerbook when tethering to my Treo.

Daedaluszer0

Daedaluszer0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Oh, I just visit support.dell.com, didn't know that Dell use Marvell cards, wow. Does the AppleYukon.kext or AppleYukon2.kext work?
I should add that on the first post.

Yup they are marvell cards the exact model on my m1530 is 88E8040. I'll just wait out for new kexts. :D

Looked up on Vista's device manager, the Hardware IDs section are listed as this for the 88E8040 model:
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&SUBSYS_022E1028&REV_12
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&SUBSYS_022E1028
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4354&CC_0200

ranova

ranova

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I got two-finger scrolling to work on my m1330!

macgirl, you should add this to your guide, or link this post, since its kind of long. :D

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=88811

---
edit: I have made a separate thread for the tutorial, as it applies to many other laptops out there. the plist file is optimized for the m1330 though.

Attached Files

devnull73

devnull73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Just a quick question Macgirl - the USB->ethernet adapter you mention (the Apple branded one).... have you got this working on your M1330?

Was just looking at the reviews for it, and someone claims it *only* works on the macbook air (find it hard to believe). Just wondering if anyone has it working on the m1330 before I buy one.

thanks

devnull73

devnull73

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
"Edit 1: It looks like FFScrollDaemon DOES NOT load with OS X. So you can manually start it with "sudo /usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon" within terminal or browse to that dir and double click it."

Does OS X not have /etc/rc.d/rc.local or equivalent? You must be able to hook it into one of the bootup scripts somewhere?

dankasfuk

dankasfuk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Has anyone with an Inspiron 1420 gotten 2-finger scrolling to work with the above link for FFscroll? Doesn't work for me... If so, could you please post with a protocol? Thanks!

Mike

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts

I got two-finger scrolling to work on my m1330!

macgirl, you should add this to your guide, or link this post, since its kind of long. :huh:

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=88811
---
edit: I have made a separate thread for the tutorial, as it applies to many other laptops out there. the plist file is optimized for the m1330 though.

I added this info on 1st post.

Just a quick question Macgirl - the USB->ethernet adapter you mention (the Apple branded one).... have you got this working on your M1330?

Was just looking at the reviews for it, and someone claims it *only* works on the macbook air (find it hard to believe). Just wondering if anyone has it working on the m1330 before I buy one.

thanks

I do not have it on my M1330, but plan to have it soon, I have a Linksys that uses Apple kexts, anyway that "someone" who is XPS400 and claimed that the adapters didn't work reported later on post #141 that they now work after the 10.5.2 update, and I believe that is because it has a new kext that is called AppleUSBGigEthernet, 10.5 came with AppleUSBEthernet.kext only

Ridicule

Ridicule

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Has anyone gotten SpeedStep to work using the 9.2.0 kernel and 10.5.2? I've got the speedstep package all installed and can change the settings of speedstep.app, but according to sysctl -a | grep cpu its not doing crap. I did finally get the battery icon to show up using the powermanagement bundle from the speedstep package.

Works here, just followed the steps of the guide, when its working you should see something like:

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800
kern.cputhrottle_verbose: 1
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1600 2000 2001

when you do sysctl -a | grep cpu, is the speedstep.app actually doing anything? also which kernel are you using mine is:

[rid@Hackintosh:~]$ uname -a
Darwin Hackintosh 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Thu Feb 14 17:30:26 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
[rid@Hackintosh:~]$

vivavn

vivavn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
what is the benefit of 10.5.2. I got it to installed but now sound so far and it takes longer to boot, 2-3 times slower to boot :(

khull

khull

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i'm just reconfirming that sound works on mine perfectly whenever it is running on battery - once you have sound back you can plug in the power again

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts

what is the benefit of 10.5.2. I got it to installed but now sound so far and it takes longer to boot, 2-3 times slower to boot :(

On mine it doesn't take more time. :huh:

Do you have a 9.2.0 kernel?

Real Benefit from 10.5.2 is QE/CI, of course you can have 10.5.1 or 10.5 with 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts but there are some incompatible libraries, users reported some crashe with PhotoBooth and other graphic apps.

vivavn

vivavn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I used iATKOS DVD. And 10.5.2 takes much longer to boot. Anyway, go back to 10.5.1 for now

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hello looks like a great guide. I`m thinking about getting a m1530. On my E1505 I had much success with kalyway DVD. The 4 main things for me is VIdeo(1680x1050), SOund(thru internal speakers), Wireless(dell truemobile), Sleep(very important). Seems that the first 3 are ok (is sound working ????) What about sleep ? Is that working with the Vanilla kernel ? Also if anyone know how to get a good discount on the m1530 please let me know, if those things dont work on the XPS i might go with vastro or new inspirons. Thanks in advance for the replies :)

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
Sound is working but some had issues of not getting it after reboot, but there are several fixes.

Sleep not working, at least no one has reproduceable method yet, and I think the same occurs on Vostros and Inspirons, but let the Vostros and Inspirons users say something about it.

yozh

yozh

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Sound is working but some had issues of not getting it after reboot, but there are several fixes.

Sleep not working, at least no one has reproduceable method yet, and I think the same occurs on Vostros and Inspirons, but let the Vostros and Inspirons users say something about it.

Well I wasnt able to get sleep on my Dell Ins. e1505 for a while until I tried kalyway DVD 10.5.1 and it works from the first boot. Also forgot to ask what about Dual Core Problem that we have on the E1505/E1705 and such ? If I cant get sleep on this thing then I might go with a MacBook. (really wanted a bigger screen and bigger resolution, but if I cant get sleep going I cant use Mac, as my self and wife are always putting it to sleep not shutdown)

ranova

ranova

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

i'm just reconfirming that sound works on mine perfectly whenever it is running on battery - once you have sound back you can plug in the power again

looks like that is the case for me right now, unless I fully reinstall the drivers, fix permissions, and clear the kext cache

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
These Dells (new generation) don't have the multiple core problem, only if you use 10.4.8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy