[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

this almost makes me think i sbould get m1530 with X3100 (down side cant upgrade later )cheaper and seems to alow it to sleep maybe even 1525 just 1525 doesnt have high res screen. So some ppl say its USB and others say its vid card which one is it for sleep ?

I don't think restart/shutdown is 2 cores, or USB kext problem. I have 2 m1330s. The one with Intel X310 video card shutdowns and restarts just fine. The other one with 8400GS can not do either one of them. So, hmm what's now

Yeah, we know since the first 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts arrive

Sleep and shutdown work just fine the problem is the video does not allow the sleep to kick in almost like it is blocking this function to keep the video alive.

If you do not load the Nvidia kext you can shutdown/restart without problems, but the display can not set to off (sleep) so and that makes the sleep (the whole system) impossible.

So:

want sleep = trow usb kexts

want restart/shutdown = throw nvidia kexts (moving NVDAresman out is suffice)

Mac Girl:

Have you heard any possible way to get our VGA out to work correctly on these machines?

Plus, the sound still seems buggy as hell, one session it works the next time it doesn't. Off and on it goes, it is never consistent. Any fixes that your wisdom might be able shed here?

JustBrowsing, I could get external monitor working with my M1330, but my Lappy has Nvidia.

For me the sound just stoped to work just once, Now I can reproduce the no sound problem if I boot without kext cache, and that happen only if I boot on single user mode an delete the Extensions.mkext file, because if Ido when the whole OS is loaded the file is created again automatically just few senconds after the deletion or when I insert or delete an extension, so for me no sound only occurs "on purpose" only.

Of course the sound is buggy, is the first attemp (at least the first direct atempt) to patch the kext, Taruga is working hardly, and I believe that he will come with a good solution.

My situation with a Vostro 1500, kalyway updated to 10.5.2:

• sleep works with the vanilla and sleep kernel (9.1.0, can't find the 9.2), but then speedstep doesn't.

• with the speedstep kernel the cpu speed adjustment works, it DOES get to sleep.. only doesn't wake back again.

Isn't there a way to make those behaviours compatible ?

•  Restart /shutdown doesn't work , but I guess i can't complain with an Nvidia 8600.

•  1-finger scrolling now working! Thanks to all :)

•  LAN network drops every now and then... which is pissing me off, can't use WiFi due to an intel 3945,but this is an unresolved common issue.

Overall... Leopard kicks ass! what a wonderful OS :)

JustBrowsing, I could get external monitor working with my M1330, but my Lappy has Nvidia.

For me the sound just stoped to work just once, Now I can reproduce the no sound problem if I boot without kext cache, and that happen only if I boot on single user mode an delete the Extensions.mkext file, because if Ido when the whole OS is loaded the file is created again automatically just few senconds after the deletion or when I insert or delete an extension, so for me no sound only occurs "on purpose" only.

Of course the sound is buggy, is the first attemp (at least the first direct atempt) to patch the kext, Taruga is working hardly, and I believe that he will come with a good solution.

I have the nVidia card in my M1330 and I can't get external display to work either. I plug in the VGA cord and the monitor senses there's a signal but no actual video appears and the Displays in System Preferences doesn't show an external display. Hitting Detect Displays just makes the LCD go black and I have to hard reboot.

As for sound, if I boot and there's no sound, I just sleep the computer and it'll come back with sound.

I have the nVidia card in my M1330 and I can't get external display to work either. I plug in the VGA cord and the monitor senses there's a signal but no actual video appears and the Displays in System Preferences doesn't show an external display. Hitting Detect Displays just makes the LCD go black and I have to hard reboot.

As for sound, if I boot and there's no sound, I just sleep the computer and it'll come back with sound.

if your monitor has a DVI port, buy a HDMI to DVI connector from www.monoprice.com and use that, much better quality and I know for a fact it works.

My situation with a Vostro 1500, kalyway updated to 10.5.2:

LAN network drops every now and then... which is pissing me off, can't use WiFi due to an intel 3945,but this is an unresolved common issue.

Which lan do you have? My vostro 1400 with a broadcom 5906 doesn't work at all. I thought the 1500 would have the same lan.

Thanks

ps thanks for all your work macgirl, this guide is really helpful.

guys plz help a brother over here..

i accidentally modified and changed the

boot.com.apple.plist which is in \Library\Preferences

if somebody can upload it somewhere or paste the text inside as a reply

thanks..

Btw the shutdown didn't really work, but the light of my ethernet which is yukon 88e8040 turn on but no coonection...

Have you tested your graphics card for Hardware Acceleration? I used GioFX OpenMark (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/OpenMark.shtml) and after system startup it runs quite slow - I got ~175 points. (even thou the system preferences shows full QE/CI acceleration)

But after sleep/wake-up (actually sleep does not work properly; it wakes up immediately) operation, Graphics Acceleration just BOOSTS to ~1370 points! And I see a huge difference in graphics speed even on my desktop!

The same "BOOST" effect takes place right after I attach external monitor and click "Detect Displays".

Those who have GeForce 8400M GS card, please test your card with OpenMark and post your result. Or maybe someone have a resolution to my problem? Anyone have full acceleration right after system startup???

My laptop:

Dell Vostro 1400

NVidia 8400M GS

Sigmatel 9228

Dell Wifi 1390

Do you think that making my own gfx-string would be beneficial because of the diffrences from the 8400 in the m1330 and the inspiron 1420?

Yes, even a slight change in the NVCAP values alter the gfx string.

Have you tested your graphics card for Hardware Acceleration? I used GioFX OpenMark (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/OpenMark.shtml) and after system startup it runs quite slow - I got ~175 points. (even thou the system preferences shows full QE/CI acceleration)

But after sleep/wake-up (actually sleep does not work properly; it wakes up immediately) operation, Graphics Acceleration just BOOSTS to ~1370 points! And I see a huge difference in graphics speed even on my desktop!

The same "BOOST" effect takes place right after I attach external monitor and click "Detect Displays".

Those who have GeForce 8400M GS card, please test your card with OpenMark and post your result. Or maybe someone have a resolution to my problem? Anyone have full acceleration right after system startup???

GioFX page shows: "The page cannot be found", anyway I reported this behaivor since the first 10.5.2 (9C23) Nvidia kexts appear, but you did't need to make the computer sleep, only put the display to sleep, this can be done by the Energy saver or setting a "hot corner" after wake all the benchmarks ar higher.

You can measure with X-Bench and OpenGL Extensions Viewer also.

thank you macgirl, i saw your post before but i didn't realize there was atachment..

is there any benefit of going gfx string...it seems to me that its useless (for my current situation)

i have graphic, sound, wireless and stable performance on m1530,,,it doesn't even solve he shutdown problem

tnx again.

Which lan do you have? My vostro 1400 with a broadcom 5906 doesn't work at all. I thought the 1500 would have the same lan.

My 1500 has a broadcom 4400, which has a really old driver. I've read lots of complaints with leopard about LAN suddenly dropping after some time of normal (ab)use. Mine needs rebooting every 1-2 hours, and with rebooting not working, it's a pain in the rear :(

Wish I could use wireless...

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 1420. I have managed to install 10.5.2 using iATKOS v1.0 ir2 with the patch mentioned here. I had to move the 3100X kexts to get display working which is acceptible for now.

At this point however I think I hooped internet wise with this machine.

It has an integrated 10/100 Network Card which I'm guessing is the Broadcom 59xx. All indicatidevons say this adapter just isn't going to work. Under System Profiler, Network, Locations, the following shows up:

Ethernet Adaptor (en0):

Type: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4 Config Meth: DHCP

IPv6 Config Meth: Automatic

AppleTalk: Node

Proxies

Exceptions: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Pass Mode: Yes

Under System Preferences, Network, when I select this adaptor of cours the status says that the cable is unplugged when of course it is not. For what its worth, the network switch sees that the cable is plugged in. The router has not assigned an IP though.

The wireless is "Intel 3945 WLAN (802.11a/g)" and it does not work either. Under System Profiler it shows up the same as above with the exceptions shown below:

AirPort:

Type: IEEE80211

IEEE80211:

Join Mode: Automatic

As a general rule I hate wireless but if I can get it to work it will suffice until I can get wired to work.

Am I wasting my time here with this laptop? I would love to try OSX and I'm due a desktop upgrade thus considering an iMac but I want to try it out on this laptop first before plunking down cash.

This is not a dual boot or anything like that. Since it is the wife and kids laptop, they are getting antsy. Should I just restore the Vista that was on it and move along?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi everyone....

i ve been reading the threads, i have a dell vostro 1400, currently runniing only windows xp ,i downloaded iATKOS ir2 , and used it to boot directly (without any options) , i selected a partition from my hdd, erased it as MAC journaled partition ..

thn in the customize option , this is tried with severa options ....once with selectin , nothin , once with everyth, i tried selecting only the darwin bootloader.....

i thn flaged the partion "boot" usinf gpartlive cd

but no matter what i do , my computer fails to boot, some time it shows jus a blinking cursor, or jus says tht it could not find any bootable device.....

i feel quite dumb...i must admit that i have little exprince with linux stuff....can some one guide me ..in gettin a hackintosh .....(plz tel me the bios settingd that needed to be made)

the not booting issue has nothing to do with BIOS settings, Since leopard (on hackintoshes of course) there is a problem that the Disk Utility does not make it "bootable" whe formatting, neither the installation, ToH DVD has a script that "fixes" the bootloader.

Nevertheless, here is a guide to do it manually: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1789

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

here is my list of the files:

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1911 Feb 25 20:01 NetworkInterfaces.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   2701 Jan 12 18:30 com.apple.Boot.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  staff   1454 Feb 17 01:27 com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel	684 Jan 29 14:59 com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  staff	987 Feb  3 10:52 com.apple.nat.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  22406 Feb 25 21:06 com.apple.network.identification.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin	596 Feb 26 10:07 com.apple.smb.server.plist
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  26978 Feb 25 20:00 preferences.plist

Whick one do you need because in some there are personal information.

the only file i see in my in \Preferences\SystemConfiguration under windows is

com.apple.network.identification.plist

and then the com.apple.boot.plist that you've uploaded

i don't know where did the rest of them go...

which ones are neccesary for boot up?