• Please log in to reply
1355 replies to this topic

XtreX

XtreX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Can someone help me? It hangs here and after 2-3 mins it says continuing and reboots...

I installed from tiger with pacifist.

Attached Files

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Terminal do much faster instillation than pacifist without checking the packages.
Did you installed 10.5 on partition already had Tiger ?

I was unable to open the OSInstall package from terminal, it returned some error "Cannot open package" or similar. Pacifist worked fine.
I installed Leopard on same disk as Tiger, but another partition. I then erased the former Tiger partition and use it for Time Machine now.

superfaen

superfaen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
This works great! I think I will try to install this on another disk later, can anyone tell me how to install it via terminal instead of pacifist?

This is the one thing I didn't get to work as described. What exactly are the commands? I see no reason to let pacifist verify the files after copying, just a waste of time.

Now I may try the Uphuck release too, but I'm not sure if there are any benefits compared to this method.

Thanks!

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
Hey ya,
Im having trouble trying to run this native off a Tiger disk....the terminal commands for the open osinstall.mpkg dont work....the previous command cd volume etc etc works...just step 2 in terminal doesnt

Can I run a install via 2 DVD drives....one opened with terminal...then direct the install to the retail Leopard disc via terminal as per your first post?

Whats the steps to install from DVD?

1. Mount the Disk Image of retail DVD ( if you don't have it Make from the Retail DVD) Or Put the disk in DVD drive and install from it I t may just take little longer.

2. Make sure name of the Disk mounted as Mac OS X Install DVD (because this the name you need to put in Terminal Command )

3. Open Terminal do the following one by one

sudo -s (enter)
will ask for password type it hit Enter
cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (hit enter) here in this replace Mac with your own Disk name where you are installing your Leopard

open osinstall.mpkg (again paste this and enter)

now package with open Select the disk you want to install to.

Darkshear

Darkshear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having an odd issue....

I boot from a USB hard drive containing a flat image of Leopard.
Partition a blank IDE drive with GUID
Install EFI 8 on that freshly partitioned drive
Install Leopard from a retail DVD
Change kexts as you stated

System attempts to boot... I see the Apple logo for a split second and it reboots.

Any ideas?

Coelacanth

Coelacanth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
try disabling the dual core support in BIOS.

hope it helps.

Coelacanth

Brywalker

Brywalker

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

here you goRemove IONetworkingFamily.kext and replace with attached one below

Still does the same thing, although it does boot faster with that. I don't understand what the problem can be.

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
Still does the same thing, although it does boot faster with that. I don't understand what the problem can be.

Which Video card you are using ?

Geeze

Geeze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 83 posts
Hey guys, will this sequence work?
1. Format laptop hard drive with GUID option and two partitions.
2. Install Tiger to one partition (I am using Uphuck 1.3)
3. Mount retail leopard image.
4. Follow directions on this thread and install leopard to second partition with pc EFI.
5. Delete Tiger partition
6. Change Leopard partition to use entire disk.

Will that work? I am unfamiliar with the workings of GUID.

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
ok, this should work

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I have just fixed reboot issue installing AppleACPIPlatform from irc (see my sig.).

karaakeha1

karaakeha1

Mac Pro Case

• Donators
  • 561 posts
I have just fixed reboot issue installing AppleACPIPlatform from irc (see my sig.).

Congrats now everything working for you. Can you pl attach AppleACPIPlatform from irc to you signature or any link.
Also how did you fix ownership problem. used any command ?
thanks

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
reboot fix: http://tinyurl.com/2scdff
enable owners: sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME

Geeze

Geeze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 83 posts
Trying to do this threads method, but now I am stuck. I have installed efi v8/guid on my laptop and it works great as long as I only have one partition. When I make two partitions, one for tiger, one for leopard. I do the exact same steps I did for the single partion, but with two it stops at a blinking cursor. Any ideas?

Also, I went ahead and reformated to one single partion with efi v8/guid: doesn't that mean I can change/add/delete partions? How do I do that?
Thanks in advance.
Geeze

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
You have to install EFI to both Leo and Tiger partitions. It works for me. You can simply edit partitions in Disk Utility.

Geeze

Geeze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 83 posts

You have to install EFI to both Leo and Tiger partitions. It works for me. You can simply edit partitions in Disk Utility.

Ok, did that, and I am now able to boot to my tiger partition. I messed around a bit with volumeResize command. I inserted the lepard DVD, but I can't seem to be able to access the packages folder with the command line. If fact, I can't even 'cd' to the directory. I have tried doing the whole path, and I have tried doing the cd command incrementally one folder at a time. I have tried this with the retail CD in the drive and also a mounted dmg version of my retail cd. Any ideas?

LS8

LS8

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
What do you mean "can't even 'cd' to the directory"? Does it return any error? Are you writing the correct patch?

Ooze3d

Ooze3d

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I installed from Tiger with Pacifist. It boots but doesn't load "loginwindow.app". It just starts a loop trying to load the app file, but it says "No such file or directory". Also it won't let me repair permissions from Tiger. It says "No valid packages".

Ooze3d

Ooze3d

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I know what happens with my Leopard installation. None of the files Pacifist installed has the right permissions and since I don't have any file inside "Library/Receipts", Disk Utility says it cannot repair permissions. That's the reason it can't load "loginwindow.app" while booting.

Now, what can I do??

aliab

aliab

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/name

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy