Omaha shooter was on prozac.

OryHara

18 posts in this topic

Shooter had a history of Anti-depressant use.

http://infowars.net/articles/december2007/061207Shooter.htm

Interesting article. I agree with the author, the media will focus on firearms as the problem rather than the drugs. No matter what caused this to occur, its still a shame =(

Yea, I know. There is no point in things like that. No end goal. He stated he wanted fame, he got it. Killing is always bad when there is no reason for it.

Seriously you can't blame guns and you can't blame SSRI drugs like prozac, there is only one person at blame, the gunman himself. You can sit and point fingers but when it comes down to it, he was sick. Why don't we blame his friends, family and even his physician for not being more proactive in his mental healthcare? It pisses me off when people want to blame medications alone for societies shortcomings. This is the same as the argument that brought on the blackbox warnings for drugs like prozac, paxil, etc. They suggested that teens on prozac were more prone to suicide....people who are depressed are already more prone to suicide what is the surprise of that??!??! I can only imagine it's the same with homicidal tendencies in the mentally ill, if they are unstable they are unstable!

Seriously you can't blame guns and you can't blame SSRI drugs like prozac, there is only one person at blame, the gunman himself. You can sit and point fingers but when it comes down to it, he was sick. Why don't we blame his friends, family and even his physician for not being more proactive in his mental healthcare? It pisses me off when people want to blame medications alone for societies shortcomings. This is the same as the argument that brought on the blackbox warnings for drugs like prozac, paxil, etc. They suggested that teens on prozac were more prone to suicide....people who are depressed are already more prone to suicide what is the surprise of that??!??! I can only imagine it's the same with homicidal tendencies in the mentally ill, if they are unstable they are unstable!

News Flash. Prozac is a "Mind Altering" drug. Like cocaine. I think the bigger question is, why was he on it?

Because doctors are over-prescribing like never before. Got a cold? Drugs. Not feeling well? Drugs. Have acne? Drugs. In some pain? Drugs.

It's just gone out of control. That's why more and more bacteria are developing resistant strains. This attitude of drug first, treat the cause later has become a real problem.

As for anti-depressants, I know firsthand how badly they alter the mind, as my friend's sister did have some depression, and she was prescribed an anti-depressant (I think it was Prozac). With no warning, one day they found her in their garage - she had hanged herself. She had never considered suicide before, but the drug had very serious effects. It tore the family apart. they had their garage torn down, but it wasn't enough. They ended up moving out to Arizona just to get away, and even there the parents went through marital strife because of them each blaming themselves, and they ended up getting divorced.

Anti-depressants are awful, and should be taken off the market until they can definitively find the results of the drugs on teenagers (they're tested in adults!). What people don't realize is that it isn't just one life that's effected - it can be so many more.

As for anti-depressants, I know firsthand how badly they alter the mind, as my friend's sister did have some depression, and she was prescribed an anti-depressant (I think it was Prozac). With no warning, one day they found her in their garage - she had hanged herself. She had never considered suicide before, but the drug had very serious effects. It tore the family apart. they had their garage torn down, but it wasn't enough. They ended up moving out to Arizona just to get away, and even there the parents went through marital strife because of them each blaming themselves, and they ended up getting divorced.

Anti-depressants are awful, and should be taken off the market until they can definitively find the results of the drugs on teenagers (they're tested in adults!). What people don't realize is that it isn't just one life that's effected - it can be so many more.

Wow. That's terrible, there are so many stories about people on anti-depressants going suicidal or murdering people. Something really should be done.

SSRI drugs like Prozac, efexor and seroxat really can have some unwanted side effects,

one of them is that you can become a very anti social, insensitive person

SSRI drugs are a billion dollar business, so the industry will tell you that there are no big risk involved in using these drugs

but thats not true, i think

Because doctors are over-prescribing like never before. Got a cold? Drugs. Not feeling well? Drugs. Have acne? Drugs. In some pain? Drugs.

It's just gone out of control. That's why more and more bacteria are developing resistant strains. This attitude of drug first, treat the cause later has become a real problem.

Thats so true. Some people when they have a headache, the pop back something to kill it, when a strong cup of coffee with a teaspoon of Irish cream, or rum will do fine. Coffee will do fine for most blood pressure problems. It works as a blood thinner sometimes if it is strong enough. It will cure a migraine in 20 minutes.

Honey cures a lot of problems, but people would rather pop a pill for it.

Depressed? pop a pill. Usually a nice glass of red wine, and 14 hours of strait sleep will cure it. Someone people say that a hash brownie, or a joint will do the trick followed by a few hours of sleep.

Some of that FDA approved {censored} they put on the market is just an excuse for the government not to approve natural cures. Its all about money, and bureaucracy, while some fat cat makes a buck off someone's death.

Thats so true. Some people when they have a headache, the pop back something to kill it, when a strong cup of coffee with a teaspoon of Irish cream, or rum will do fine. Coffee will do fine for most blood pressure problems. It works as a blood thinner sometimes if it is strong enough. It will cure a migraine in 20 minutes.

Honey cures a lot of problems, but people would rather pop a pill for it.

Depressed? pop a pill. Usually a nice glass of red wine, and 14 hours of strait sleep will cure it. Someone people say that a hash brownie, or a joint will do the trick followed by a few hours of sleep.

I agree.

I avoid traditional medication nowadays as I feel that there are much better natural cures and that there are sometimes too many side effects and long term problems what normal medication causes.

Myself, I have discovered that a few cups of water and a good sleep fixes nearly everything.

• 1 year later...
The word prozac is in the title ;)

Yeah, one post. Mentions online pharmacy. Sounds like a spam bot to me.

But reading some of the old posts in this thread WOW! Boy does this board attract the crazies & paranoids.

Depression runs in my family, both me and my mother suffer from it and those guys have no clue what anti-depressants are like or how much they can help.

Trust me, there is NO rush to SSRIs or any antidepressants I've ever been on. I have no clue what "they're like cocaine" guy was going on about.

Agreed Generic George

I am on Prozac (Fluoxetine) right now, have been for about 70 days.

Apart from feeling sick and some sleep issues for the first couple of weeks, there was no noticeable effect, then I experienced and am still experiencing a gradual lift in my emotions.

The unwanted side effects have faded away.

I suspect the suicidal thoughts were more to do with the depression itself before the ADs had taken full effect.

Also those who say a good nights sleep will fix it have no idea what they are talking about. Being slightly depressed is NOT suffering from depression. The two are very different. One is a temporary reaction to some adverse circumstances, and the other is a recoqnised mental illness.

I am currently on CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and anti depressants (Fluoxetine) and am getting back on track slowly.

SSRIs do work, but the effects are gradual.

Agreed Generic George

I am on Prozac (Fluoxetine) right now, have been for about 70 days.

Apart from feeling sick and some sleep issues for the first couple of weeks, there was no noticeable effect, then I experienced and am still experiencing a gradual lift in my emotions.

The unwanted side effects have faded away.

Glad to hear it. Expect to need to switch and change medicines several times though. Not all of them will remain effective long term and you may need to change them. Eventually you should find an antidepressant or combination of them that should work for you.

I suspect the suicidal thoughts were more to do with the depression itself before the ADs had taken full effect.

There's a theory and I'm not sure how much of a statistical/scientific basis for it there is, but that if you are depressed you often lack the energy to get around to committing suicide, but that as you start coming out of it you can hit a point where you are still depressed enough to do it, but are now energetic enough to do it.

Also those who say a good nights sleep will fix it have no idea what they are talking about. Being slightly depressed is NOT suffering from depression. The two are very different. One is a temporary reaction to some adverse circumstances, and the other is a recoqnised mental illness.

Yes that was a particularly stupid and ignorant statement, but the guy who said that apparently believes that it's all a conspiracy to suppress "natural" cures. Well I hope he doesn't bother with things like anti-biotics or cancer treatements. Because you know how well those "natural" treatments worked before we hand, you know SCIENCE and stuff like that.

I've been on Fluoxetine for 9 years now for OCD. Those around me have had nothing but praise for the drastic improvement in my behavior. I haven't had any bad side effects, all it has done is help me.