Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

Martin, so far so good! I have created the second connection on en0 and so far no drops. The machine has been up and downloading for approx. 3 hours. This is interesting, for sure. Its a very strange fix, but a fix nonetheless!

So far 10.5.2 looks like it will work if you follow the netkas manual instructions, but running software update blindly will break our hackintosh installs. I think now that we may have just gotten ethernet working properly im going to savor a fully working hacintosh before trying to break it installing 10.5.2 :-)

Now if i could just get shutdown and reboot to work.... eh, at least ethernet might be working now

I installed 10.5.2 yesterday and had a drop.

I have not tried the second ethernet entry in network settings yet.

However I think I have noticed that I will tend to drop after I access my ntfs drives in my system.

I will make sure not to access any of those drives today. I will also run torrents extensively as well as general surfing and downloading.

I will report back later today with my results.

Hi guys,

I was just surfing around and came across this (either from this or from another thread):

http://www.extrapepperoni.com/2007/11/10/l...ocket-firewall/

I am wondering, is everyone having the ethernet drops occur while while downloading large files? How about drops happening when the machine is sitting on, no one is using it, and its not doing anything (no downloads, etc....).

I personally dont think mine has dropped while I have been sitting there moving the kb and mouse and using the machine. As soon as I set a download and step away, the damn thing drops.

Any chance torrent downloads could be requesting some crazy port and the firewall clamps down?

Also, do you guys see any sort of error messages in the Console? Where else could we look for messages? When my drops occur, I dont have any sort of messages in my Console aside from "Host not found" messages after the drop has occurred.

Also, is anyone using iStat? I have been using it since day one, and am curious after reading the final post in this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6545827

just a little update

I have been surfing, using multiple torrents and also using downoad them all with firefox since my intial post and no drops.

I have not accessed any of my ntfs drives and smb hasn't really worked for me with kalyway since first install anyway.

I can see my powerbook on the network though I have not accessed it.

would some of the nightly unix type maintenance access all the drives on the system ? (could be why some people are noticing drops, if I'm right, after leaving them on all night )

I will post back when I notice a drop.

I got a drop not long after this post.

I was rooting around in system prefs at the time. I may have triggered something. not sure though.

I upgraded to 10.5.2 last night, and unfortunately I had a drop soon after. However, I setup a download overnight with the Ping dashboard app pinging www.google.com every 10 seconds, and there was no connection drop. I had read something about drops occuring when NTFS drives are mounted, or being accessed. My OS X automatically mounts 4 ntfs partitions, and i cant read them all properly, so Im wondering if, as mentioned above, some sort of unix indexing is attempted on the NTFS drives periodically.

Also, I had a bit of a rough upgrade to 10.5.2, and so I was booting in -v mode quite a bit, and after my drop when I went to reboot, I noticed that after the GUI closed during reboot, and it showed the terminal again while shutting down, I noticed a bunch of identical Yukon errors, one after another, that read something like "AppleYukon: Error xxxxxxxx" and unfortunately I didnt write down the error. I think it was something like packet blocked or unsendable or something like that. Basically an error message that seemed to be related to the fact that the ethernet has dropped. Does anyone know of any Logs on the system aside from the main Console? I dont think these errors show up on the Console, however is there a hardware log? I know in Linux in /var/log/ has a bunch of different logs. I wont be at my machine until night, but does anyone know if there is a similar setup on the unix end of OS X?

Edit: After some poking around online, I think the messages I saw would be captured in /var/log/system.log. For those of you experiencing drops, lets see if youre getting ethernet-related error messages in there?

"AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 PwrSavingsEED - Failed to get ACPI device"

"AppleYukon: 00000008,000002bd sktwsi - AppleYukon: error - TWSI: transfer does not complete"

I see that right now, but that is before the internet breaks. I'm gonna try to break the internet now and I'll take another look and report back.

EDIT:This is what the log said after the internet broke (I broke it by starting up Vista in VMware Fusion... That's how I've been consistently breaking it after I first had the problem w/ file transfers and such...):

AppleYukon: 00000010,00000272 skgesirq - AppleYukon: error - PCI express protocol violation error

AppleYukon: 00000010,00000264 skgesirq - AppleYukon: error - unexpected IRQ Status error

AppleYukon: 00000000,00000000 skgehw - cppSkDrvEvent - SK_DRV_ADAP_FAIL

This seems to be related

i have reinstall my p5vd2-mx with pentium d dual core with kalyway 10.5.1. mbr and efi

1. install via rhine

2. used the virginizer

3. update combo kalyway 10.5.2

4. update graphic

everything working well, i did however used the two ethernet method. i did this after a drop, but i think it drop because i was fooling with little snitch firewall, where the security was too tight. after that i enable almost anything except programs that i know.

before little snitch install the ethernet was great, no messing around and it work fully. so now i'm a bit paranoid and just do the two ethernet thing and no drop. i have to say, this is the longest time i can stay connected. and thats with torrent fully downloading.

I started this thread to see if we can figure out some alternate solution from people who dont have issues:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87642

Also, while using the Ping.app posted in here I suffered no drops, however when I decided to get creative and make my own shell script which consisted of the command "ping -i 10 www.yahoo.com >/dev/null &" that loads on boot, the script loads up fine, however the connection ended up dropping during a torrent download test.I was wishing that the ping dashboard app would load up automatically during boot, and start without me having to open dashboard and click start. If that was the case, I could live with it as a solution to have functioning ethernet.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the ping script does (aside from what I typed into my shell script) and also maybe how to get the ping dashboard app to start up and do its thing automatically?

The error message I found mentioned Sky2, which is I believe the Yukon driver, and I did some searching and found that some linux folks seem to have identical problems with the Sky2 driver:http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-487018.html

b16a2, try this. don't try sleep and no ntfs.

i had a drop from fiddling the applesmbios.kext. i wanted to try different one because i don't have sleep function. after several change (and give up) i had a drop. then i update the kernel, and the network stable again. after the kernel update, test the network and work solid. then my curiosity got me, tried sleep just fun fun, see if it work. ofcourse it didn't work, but then i had a drop. i reboot and still dropping.

the fix is i reinstall the comboupdate from kalyway again. and now turn sleep option to never just so it would not doit by itself. right now my network is solid again. this is just my experience.

my hypothesis is maybe if we try the sleep function it wreck the network, and maybe ntfs has some thing to do with it couse some said reading ntfs make the network drop. right now i don't have ntfs volume, i change the window to fat32. hope that helps.

hello...

i have exact the same internet conection drops....after a while i cant do anything!

only the kextunload , kexload methode makes it work.....

in tiger 10.4.9 all worked perfect without doing anything.....now with 10.5.1 leo i get these drops????

i tried the "creating second adapter" methode but it doesnt work :)

i have a PCI ethernet card RT8139.....does anyone knows a fix???

or something i can do?

I do have this problem with the network dropout. Due to use of long term downloads or usage of samba on this mac or shares. I have a RTL8139 network card. I get this error "RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error " reported in dmesg and system.log. My specs are an P4 3GHZ and a motherboard based on a VIA PT800CE & VT8237 chipset. Everything runs well the sound and the video.

I have had the sleep function switched to off since day one, so unfortunately I dont think that has been affecting my ethernet. However, I stop Leopard from auto-mounting the NTFS partitions using this method:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...060930150059172

For the fstype, I put "ntfs", and then "ro,noauto" for options.

Now Leopard no longer automounts my NTFS partitions.

I dont yet know whether it has made a difference, but I have setup a download now, so by the morning I will know whether it has helped!

How I solved this issue...

Had the network drop problem myself with the onboard LAN on Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1. I could use the network for a while, then it'd stop working and I'd find it had a self-assigned IP.

I added a Realtek 8139 based network card thinking that it was my onboard LAN causing the issue. No dice, still had the same exact network drop with the Realtek card.

Next I had a hunch that it was related to the Via chipset on my current motherboard (ECS P4M800Pro V2), so I picked up a board with an Intel chipset (ECS 945GCT-M V1).

I swapped out the motherboards, and didn't change a thing with Leopard. (Pay attention here - I didn't change a thing to Leopard. Same install, same kexts. No reinstallation was performed...)

Guess what....ethernet now works, and has been for a week and a half without any drops. Both onboard LAN and the Realtek card work flawlessly on the new Intel-based board with the same exact install of Leopard.

Though this was successful for me, YMMV.

Hi All,

I have had no drops so far with 2 consecutive downloads of fedora linux. I had also rebooted and powered off in between, and even put the computer to sleep, woke up, and then done a fedora download and it has been fine. Its possible the problem has been fixed. I am of course already using an Intel motherboard (965p), and now with the Startech ST100S PCI Card (Realtek 8139 chipset) using the driver posted by Kykc here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...783&hl=8139

Until I installed that driver, the network card wasnt working, but after installing it it has been perfect, no issues so far!

Maybe its finally over? Im going to be doing more testing.

Hi All,

It seems like my problems with drops are fixed now. Just to spell out what I did, I installed the ST100S pci card, installed this driver: http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

That driver didnt make the card show up, so then i did the fix using the driver posted by Kykc here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...783&hl=8139

After I rebooted, the network was working and hasnt stopped since.

There are some really good suggestions in this thread, and it seems like different things work for different people. I am curious whether there is some sort of detection that goes on from apple, maybe looking for the machine serial number (spoofed through efi, so same for all hackintosh machines running efi?) during software update, and this triggers some sort of punishment, similar to Tiger and the screen whose orientation kept changing, except in this case it just kills ethernet? Who knows. But one thing is for sure.. My ethernet is fine now, and Im going to be keeping an extremely sharp eye on how the ethernet behaves after running software update.

Anyways thanks for everyones help. Now time to start moving data to hfs+ partitions