• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

bluedogmike

bluedogmike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Try this, it works for me, problem exists for many Leopard macbook users.

By pinging google (or any site I guess) you will maintain a connection, the link is for a dashboard widget that does it for Ya :(

http://www.mediafire.com/?avxmxgeyo3y

Nadeo

Nadeo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Try this - until now. Seems to work. :P

Polymira

Polymira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one from 10.4.8 JAS makes it not drop over a period of time, only during a large file transfer.

Any torrent, large software update, or file transfer (internet or lan) will kill the network until I reboot.

.... =/

Polymira

Polymira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
So I take it there is no fix for this?

Guess we're waiting for 10.5.2?

This blows. I hardly use my desktop now, only my macbook as an unstable network connection makes the computer unusable.

Can't even watch a movie trailer.

punksovereign

punksovereign

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the solution to ping a site or whatever ip doesn't work for me, it still goes down to a halt after some time, maybe an hour while downloading torrents with the combined speed of 200 -300 KB/sec. only a restart fixes the problem. - XXX 10.4.11 on a dell inspiron 1300 (broadcom 440x)

cozycactus

cozycactus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have the same problem and because of that cant use leopard :)

my mb is asrock 4coredual-sata2 with via chipset ..tried rtl8139 and via rhine

maybe its via chipset problem?

TriHFH

TriHFH

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
having the same problem here too, on:

Kalyway 10.5.1 Leo
GA-965P-S3
7900GTX flashed to FX5500
E6400 @ 3.0GHz
3GB ram
Using built in Yukon ethernet

For me, every time I try sending someone a large file over aim or downloading a podcast on iTunes, the internet will just cut out. Disabling and re-enabling the network card does nothing. The computer doesn't freeze up at all, the internet just stops working. I hope there's a fix soon!

aibonlengket

aibonlengket

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

guys, I think I found the root of the problem. I have the same problem. the ethernet disconnect from the internet. I'm using a cable modem as well. so this is it, when ever the connection is lost, the MAC address somehow change by it self. from 001A9200F948 to 00009200F948, so it lost "1a" and turn it to "00". I don't know if this is just me or someone else have the same symptoms. I look this setting through system preferences>network>advance>ethernet.

I tried to change the mac address but no luck. I use:
sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr
and
sudo ifconfig en0 ether

I'm just a noob, so this is just a hunch, but it does explain why it cannot find the proper ip and self assigned.

Well, i feel stupid. nevermind what i said above. the MAC adress doesn't change. I saw it change when i upgrade security 2007-009. after reboot it did not change anymore. silly me. sori folks.

Hamb0ne

Hamb0ne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
im having the same problem with my DELL XPS Broadcom 57xx.. it seems to happen when downloading and at high speed..

Hamb0ne

Hamb0ne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
anyone got this sloved?

dcook

dcook

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Same problem here. Worked fine from 10.4.9 - 10.4.11. Now this on 10.5.1 ;).

ASUS P5VD2-MX SE MoBo with on-board RTL8201C LAN.

I can't tell yet if it only does it while dling large files. It went once overnight while I was trying to download XCode 3, and a little while ago while I was hardly even using the connection at all.

xplode_me

xplode_me

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sample problem here...

RTL 8139 NIC
Asus P5K motherboard.

I read the complete thread, i take it this is some kind of apple-related issue?

aibonlengket

aibonlengket

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
just screw around, I search for all file that has the name firewall and moved it to desktop (if it goes wrong I copy it back)
- system>library>coreservices>ApplicationFirewall.bundle
- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall (need to enable hidden file)
- system>library>extensions>IPFirewall.kext

reboot and it turns out the ethernet works but it's giving the usual ip self-assigned address. tried to manual input ip, and no luck. then i return the
- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall
rebot, and it is working again (note:without the other two). have not tested long enough, but who knows.

I was really wondering why that (usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall) is required for the ethernet to work; because I though since maybe the problem was because of the firewall, I just get rid of it for good.

any thoughts?

Hamb0ne

Hamb0ne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

just screw around, I search for all file that has the name firewall and moved it to desktop (if it goes wrong I copy it back)
- system>library>coreservices>ApplicationFirewall.bundle
- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall (need to enable hidden file)
- system>library>extensions>IPFirewall.kext

reboot and it turns out the ethernet works but it's giving the usual ip self-assigned address. tried to manual input ip, and no luck. then i return the
- usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall
rebot, and it is working again (note:without the other two). have not tested long enough, but who knows.

I was really wondering why that (usr>libexec>ApplicationFirewall>Firewall) is required for the ethernet to work; because I though since maybe the problem was because of the firewall, I just get rid of it for good.

any thoughts?

so how did it go? did it fix the probelm?

fintan6

fintan6

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Kalyway 10.5.1 network worked without a problem for close to a a month, I only started to get the network drop issue within the last week.

Gigabyte GS965P S3

I also have 4 gb of ram which was causing a problem so I set a maxmem of 3772 in the boot.plist. I don't remember having this problem before that.

Anyone else have the 4gb ram problem?

bruin4life

bruin4life

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I also have 4 gb of ram which was causing a problem so I set a maxmem of 3772 in the boot.plist. I don't remember having this problem before that.

Anyone else have the 4gb ram problem?

Nope, having same problem after downloading torrents. However i have 3 Gigs of RAM running in DDR2

Hamb0ne

Hamb0ne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
not solution?????

Borad

Borad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
same here, 10.4.10

aibonlengket

aibonlengket

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
after further testing, it seems that it does not affect the result. it still doing the self-ip address after awhile. I figured out that socketfilterfw in the usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/ have to be there in order to work (ofcurse just for the a while then the connection failed). so I google socketfilterfw, and come to this interesting link. http://www.extrapepp...ocket-firewall/

that come to my question, how to make this to allow anything and everything to go in/out? the thing is, it will deny some thing that was allowed IF, for example, the binary change.

Hamb0ne

Hamb0ne

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
this is annoying getting disconnected while downloading or palying games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy