Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip' Problem...Please Help :(

Shaj

212 posts in this topic

Got same problem here.

I can download 4gb from my file server with no problems, and then doing simple task, like iphoto - BAM.

Network drops.

Gigabyte 965-DS3

C2D 1.8 e4300

4gb ram

built in Yukon Gigabit

7300gs video.

I do recall everything working fine when first installed.

Then I installed everything the torrents had to offer and now - ANNOYING!!!!

Anyone think this may relate to Parallels?

That seems to add a couple of network adapters in the sys preferences?

I am using Acer 5610-4648 with Broadcom440X. Wired netword dorps after a certain time, from minutes to hours. After that I have self-assigned IP. Tried to enable and disable the interface with no luck. Only reboot can bring back the network, and it goes again. It's not a issue of router either since I tried my laptop in my university. Also I tried the method of replacing the kext with older versions, it doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance!

In desperation I removed my extensions folder an replaced it with the one from iAtkos (which didn't boot on my mobo). I got it to boot with the other kexts...problem remains.

took me a little while to get it back to the way it was ;)

i think i'm done now with experimenting with the friggn kexts....

I'm in Asus P5VD2-MX, couldn't get the ViaRhine card to work, so I disabled it and inserted a PCI Intel Ethernet pro 100...it somehow works, but connection drops, like with you guys. Also looking at Console after the connection is down, I see this:

kernel[0]: Intel82557: chip reset

mDNSResponder[22]: Note: Frequent transitions for interface en0 (169.254.166.165); network traffic reduction measures in effect

It somehow happens when downloading something... really weird.

Hi Fleisch

I have the same problem using rtl8139 or ViaRhine no matter wich version of kext i use... i get connected and after a while connecton gets blocked.

So i don't have installed securitiy update on leo.. ( i'm not able to download such a big file :( )

Maybe somebody get hands on beta 10.5.2 update to check the new kext .. as described there are a lot of apple users complainig about network issues.

cheers

Dell Inspiron 1300:

Jas 10.4.8 i never had network problems on my laptop

XXX 10.4.11 same problems as you guys

iATKOS leopard 10.5.1 same network problems

desktop computer: celeron 2.4 GHz, realtek 8100 (onboard)

jas 10.4.8 working fine

iATKOS leopard 10.5.1 same network problems

Hi same problems, here Asrock 4Core Vsta - Toh 10.5.1 RC2 with viarhine but also with the wireless card ... after a while self assign ... for Via and also wireless dies ... no solution until to reboot ( i tried also various values of MTU.... no hope ) but also i see it in real mac (imac 24 ) but 10 sec after reconects ... i dont now i just go to 10.4.8 by Jas everything works great .. will see for 10.5.2 ... cheers

Replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one from 10.4.8 JAS makes it not drop over a period of time, only during a large file transfer.

Any torrent, large software update, or file transfer (internet or lan) will kill the network until I reboot.

.... =/

the solution to ping a site or whatever ip doesn't work for me, it still goes down to a halt after some time, maybe an hour while downloading torrents with the combined speed of 200 -300 KB/sec. only a restart fixes the problem. - XXX 10.4.11 on a dell inspiron 1300 (broadcom 440x)

having the same problem here too, on:

Kalyway 10.5.1 Leo

GA-965P-S3

7900GTX flashed to FX5500

E6400 @ 3.0GHz

3GB ram

Using built in Yukon ethernet

For me, every time I try sending someone a large file over aim or downloading a podcast on iTunes, the internet will just cut out. Disabling and re-enabling the network card does nothing. The computer doesn't freeze up at all, the internet just stops working. I hope there's a fix soon!

guys, I think I found the root of the problem. I have the same problem. the ethernet disconnect from the internet. I'm using a cable modem as well. so this is it, when ever the connection is lost, the MAC address somehow change by it self. from 001A9200F948 to 00009200F948, so it lost "1a" and turn it to "00". I don't know if this is just me or someone else have the same symptoms. I look this setting through system preferences>network>advance>ethernet.

I tried to change the mac address but no luck. I use:

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr

and

sudo ifconfig en0 ether

I'm just a noob, so this is just a hunch, but it does explain why it cannot find the proper ip and self assigned.

Well, i feel stupid. nevermind what i said above. the MAC adress doesn't change. I saw it change when i upgrade security 2007-009. after reboot it did not change anymore. silly me. sori folks.