Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Ugh, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with x3100 graphics. The integrated camera, wifi, sound, etc all work, but I haven't been able to get the internal display to work. The sleep trick doesn't seem to work. Oh well. I'll keep tinkering with it, and maybe find a solution.

I made a little script to run the application sleepdisplay, then press a key to wake the display up (useful for dell users). I attached it here, along with the sleepdisplay application. You can place either of these anywhere you want on your hd. To run on boot, add the sleepdisplayscript application to your applications run at login list.

Mate, thank you so much for this!

I'm running a Vostro 1500 with the Intel graphics, and have found that the "sleep corner" trick doesn't work. Executing the script at auto login however, does!!

Now I need to get the sound and Wireless working.....!

??? INTEL GLE960/GME965 GMAx3100 ???

need kext!?!?!?

is there a solution yet??? i tried x1300 files .. just normal resolution :(

removed the appleintelintegratedframebuffer...and ad nativ.kext...

there is still no x3100 :(.......

the kext is not loaded and the gma is still an vesa intel device :( whyyyy

The only way I got Intel GMA x3100 graphics to work correctly was using iATKOS. I have to use the sleep trick and it works just fine - but it is mildly annoying that I've got to do that every single time, but it does work and it is usable. ;)

I'm hoping that possibly development comes out on these damn Dell laptops to stop this power management issue with their LCD displays.

Holy {censored}, I think I have working X3100, finally, on my Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet.

Installed 10.5.2

Installed Leopard Graphics Update

Removed AppleIntelGMA950*

Removed AppleIntelIntegrated*

Installed Natit.kext from mitro's post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...282&st=160#

Rebooted, reset resolution.

Finally, for the first time ever, I have 1400x1050 on Intel GMA X3100 with full QE/CI.

Haha... My X3100 has stopped working since I swapped out my 1280x800 panel for a 1920x1200 one. I just get a blue screen and a complete lock after loginwindow loads, even on a clean install with several different natit versions. Windows for me then :(

Thanks, OutZider,

Any other guy owning a Laptop with GMA X3100, go try the 10.5.2+Leopard Graphics Update. I've done it following OutZider's instruction, and my HP DV9500t can now work under resolution of 1680x1050. It's gorgeous!

Wish you guys best luck!

If you have a Dell or other laptop that the LCD simply powers off when loginwindow.app loads then this solution has a good chance of working for you:

Prerequisites:

1. Another Mac running Leo

1a. If no Leo is available, a familiarity with VNC and another computer on which to run it.

2. Your laptop must be running the sleep kernel, you can not run the vanilla leo kernel

3. You must enable screen sharing on your laptop. If you don't have another Leo machine available, make sure you configure the VNC option

4. PC-EFI (I recommend version 8, you will need 7.2 or higher)

Steps:

1. You must generate a hex string for your specific machine. This is a complex process and has been discussed earlier in this thread and others. I would suggest you visit Netkas' forums to find out more about this. It is possible that the generic dump from a Macbook with a GMA X3100 would work, I have not tested it.

2. Insert that hex string into your boot.plist file. Again, information about this can be found on Netkas' site.

3. Make sure you delete AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

4. Download this file. In it you will find the generic AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts, the version of Natit I am using, and a copy of my Boot.plist file. I would assume anyone with the same laptop as I could use this file with zero or little modification.

5. Install all the kexts, remembering to repair permissions.

6. Reboot

7. Once your hard drive stops spinning, hit your power button, hit tab, hit space. The computer should now be asleep.

8. Hit your power button to wake your laptop, and woo hoo, your display should be working.

You will just need to repeat steps 7 and 8 after each time you power off or reboot.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you. At least now we know for sure it is simply a power management issue.

Just wanted to say thanks! Got my display working super!!

Holy {censored}, I think I have working X3100, finally, on my Lenovo ThinkPad X61 Tablet.

Installed 10.5.2

Installed Leopard Graphics Update

Removed AppleIntelGMA950*

Removed AppleIntelIntegrated*

Installed Natit.kext from mitro's post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...282&st=160#

Rebooted, reset resolution.

Finally, for the first time ever, I have 1400x1050 on Intel GMA X3100 with full QE/CI.

sounds stuupid but I can´t find the natit.kext !! :D

if under leo, just repair permisions using diskutility is not enough.

chown/chmod thing is needed

for the natit I used kext helper

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a12

Revision ID: 0x000c

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, OutZider,

Any other guy owning a Laptop with GMA X3100, go try the 10.5.2+Leopard Graphics Update. I've done it following OutZider's instruction, and my HP DV9500t can now work under resolution of 1680x1050. It's gorgeous!

Wish you guys best luck!

what's your laptop's make btw?

Don't know if anyone's still reading this post, but I'd like to ask a more general question: while I am having trouble getting my GM965 to work, I'm curious if anyone has any guesses as to why the iATKOS installer recognizes that my computer is a Vaio VGN-NR 260 E (something the Vaio support sites cannot do) but cannot quite work my hardware (in my case, the LCD which post-Graphics Update and Natit, is the correct screen size whose picture is one vertical black bar against a blue background.)

Anyone have any guesses as to why the machine is recognized and then seemingly ignored?

EDIT:

While I don't have an answer to my theoretical question, for anyone trying outsider's method - IT'S {censored} GREAT!!! But if you're having less than spectacular results, do this:

Re-install the Graphics Update GMAX kexts (or the entire 10.5.1 -> ~.2 -> Graphics Update process) and then install Switchresx BEFORE YOU REBOOT FROM THE GRAPHICS UPDATE!. Don't like paying for it? Oh well, me neither, but it's giving me full res. After you've set Switchresx to whatever custom thing you want, then hit reboot.

For my Vaio, the problem was a gap in communication between the pieces. Switchresx filled that gap, and when I rebooted, BAM, my standard res that is also present in both my linux distros and Vista!

I'll check back here later. Anyone with any questions, pm if you want to.

Guys,

I have a problem with GMA X3100 driver for Intel...

My laptop-machine:

Model : Sony Vaio VGN-CR260F

CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz

RAM : 2Gbyte

HDD : SATA 160G <toshiba> Working!

Wireless : 4965 - Doesn't work!.

Graphic : Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller - GMA X3100 - Doesn't work!.

SOUND : Intel High Definition Sound - Working!.

Ethernet : RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller - Working!.

I've probed everything mentioned on this thread for Graphics GMAX3100 but nothing works... I've a white screen!...

1.- I've installed Kalyway 10.5.1

2.- I've updated to 10.5.2 by KallywayComboUpdate10.5.2.

3.- I've updated the kernel to 9.2 from kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg package.

4.- I've installed "Graphics Update 1.0" from Apple.

5.- I've installed Natit.kext from paulicat topic.

6.- I've removed AppleIntelGMA950*.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

7.- I've probed with a second display.

and nothing ... I have the same result as SuskindC ...

The only way that I've a working display is with VESA (AppleIntelGMA950*.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext).

What's wrong?!!!

Would somebody help me please?!!!

Regards.

mvolker, you need to do this:

boot into single user mode, and move the GMAX3100*.kexts (you can leave the drivers and bundles alone, as only the kexts are messing with your display) to another folder, so you can boot back into your leopard install. when you're in, make sure you have no GMA950 anything, and that the Frambuffer kext is gone too.

using kexthelper, reinstall your x3100 kexts. when you're done, DON'T REBOOT, but instead go to system profiler, and look under "Graphics". you should see Intel listed as your driver. if so, go ahead and install switchresx, and then play with its settings until you have created a profile for your native resolution (vaio - 1280x800x32@60, right?).

now that you have your native profile, reboot. your machine will first show the grey apple screen in whatever pathetisad res it has been, because switchresx only kicks in when you've logged in.

i haven't tried to disable autologin with this fix, because i use a BIOS password, so i don't know what it will do to your computer. but i know this - i have full 3d affects supported now. the problem seemed to be basically that after the Graphics Update, the computer wanted my full res but didn't know how. something in switchresx showed it how, i suppose.

if anyone know anything about the innards of switchresx, we may be able to hit upon a more effective solution than this. as it stands, my computer or leopard needs switchres to show it how a computer works.

hi all...

im following this thread since wednesday since i bought a lap with x3100

after playing a lot i get the black screen... then plag an external monitor... but when i get into i have no menus, no mouse pointer, no nothing.. only the background picture....

Can any1 help me with this?

Thanks in advance!!

:)

Hello,

I am trying to install my X3100, but i am having problems. I work on a Aopen GMT965-La miniITX board with a T7500 processor. I have installed iAtkos 1.0i r3 and the kalyway 10.5.2 combo pack and the graphic update from apple. I cannot ever bootup normally, i allways have to use the -v -x method. Otherwise the system will startup perfectly but the image is all scrambelled. The machine works fine, but you realy cant see what you are doing :angel:

I also installed the switchresx, but I cannot select my native resolution (1680 x 1050). After i tried 1280 * 900 I still get the scrambelled image.

In my system profiler I see that: No Kext Loaded. I followed the instructions here but still the same message. Can someone please help

post-156518-1205174717_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have Sony Vaio VGN-FZ240E (Sata 250GB, Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, X3100 (GMA 965 Intel))

Trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 I just get worked deleting the AppleIntel* kexts before the reboot after install finishes (Utilities->Terminal). Resolution is only 1024 x 768.

I try to do the tricks described in some threads of Thinkpad and Dell laptops with X3100 graphics card, but get the same results: video crashes at login screen (striped white lines, etc).

Anyone??

I 'm a happy man now! 1280 x 800 on X3100 (My laptop is Sony FZ240E)

Thx guys, 1 week trying and finally I WIN ^_^:) :)

I do the sleepdisplay trick and, to find the display screen, follow this.

1. with external monitor connected, click anywhere in external monitor to ensure finder is selected

2. press shift-alt-a

3. type "sys"

4. press alt-o

5. type "displays"

6. hit enter

7. at this point you should get the window to change resolutions

8. click gather windows

9. set both internal and external monitors to correct resolutions (if 1280x800, set to 1280x768 first - use SwitchResX when all is working to get proper 1280x800x32@60)