Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Another owner of a Dell here (Vostro 1500 with the X3100 video chipset - 1440x900 panel). Errandwolfe I have run into the precise and exact same problem that you have mentioned on the boards here. I continue to poke and prod for a solution but I have none yet.

-Jer

I think I'm going to have to buy Everest unless there is another way to get Vista to accurately report the vendor dev id of my X3100... though I'm fairly sure it's working already via the external monitor, certainly I can change the screen resolutions and the spot effects are there. I tri boot, Vista, Leopard, Tiger, though the latter two aren't worth booting into with just vesa.

Use knoppix live cd or any linux with live CD. You will get all the information you need. Also there is a software called aida32 which is the source of Everest... It is free but does not cover any new devices but surely report the id correctly....

Looking at the follow snippet of XML from Natit.kext's Info.plist file.... Does anyone here know how to compute those very strange looking <data> values? Thanks!

<key>GMA X3100</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AAPL,HasPanel</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL,NumDisplays</key>
			<data>
			BAAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL,NumFramebuffers</key>
			<data>
			AgAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL,SelfRefreshSupported</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL01,DataJustify</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL01,Depth</key>
			<data>
			IAAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>AAPL01,Pipe</key>
			<data>
			AQAAAA==
			</data>
			<key>built-in</key>
			<data>
			AA==
			</data>
		</dict>

If you open that up in Property List Editor, you should see the hex values I believe. My problem has been converting that hex value to plain text that I can understand. This is basically the same approach we are using with the gfxutil method mentioned earlier in the thread. The difference is rather then employing Natit we are creating a device string that PCEFI can interpret for correct hardware recognition of the native GMA X3100 kext.

Another owner of a Dell here (Vostro 1500 with the X3100 video chipset - 1440x900 panel). Errandwolfe I have run into the precise and exact same problem that you have mentioned on the boards here. I continue to poke and prod for a solution but I have none yet.

-Jer

hi! I found a way to work panel of vostro 1400.

try sleep/wake display (or computer), then panel will fully work.

I think that display power management is a cause in this problem.

Hey "the balls" and everyone else -

I have a Vostro 1400 (1440x900) as well with the x3100 and I cannot get the display to work with the drivers still. When the computer boots up with AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext in place along with Natit.kext, I can get the computer to boot up and the whole display will be scrambled (like it's the wrong resolution or something) except that the mouse cursor looks fine, and I can click on the apple menu in the upper-left corner to shut down, log out, etc.

I have not done the EFI update yet, and sleep mode locks up my computer (never goes to sleep) so I cannot verify that the display works after coming back from sleep mode. Will EFI + Vanilla kernel fix my sleep issues on the Vostro 1400? Most importantly is trying to get QE/CI without having to boot using an external monitor. Please let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks. --fmin

WOW, "the balls" you sir are indeed THE BALLS!

Yeah, that little trick did it for me. I merely let my display fall asleep then wake it up and bam she works!

Thank you very much!

How do you just "let" the display fall asleep with out hte computer going into sleep mode. If i let my computer go into sleep mode, i cannot get it to restore. I have a dell D630.

i made efi string for x3100. only HasPanel/NumDisplays/NumFramebuffersparameters are includes in this string.it's fully work with vostro1400(1280x800LCD)still need sleep trick...b60000000100000001000000aa0000000300000002010c00d041030a0000000001010600

0027fff400260000004100410050004c002c004e0075006d0044006900730070006c006100790073

000000000000040000002e0000004100410050004c002c004e0075006d004600720061006d006500

2007506600660065007200730000000800000002000000200000004100410050004c002c00480061

0730500061006e0065006c0000000800000001000000

Hey "the balls" and everyone else -I have a Vostro 1400 (1440x900) as well with the x3100 and I cannot get the display to work with the drivers still. When the computer boots up with AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext in place along with Natit.kext, I can get the computer to boot up and the whole display will be scrambled (like it's the wrong resolution or something) except that the mouse cursor looks fine, and I can click on the apple menu in the upper-left corner to shut down, log out, etc.I have not done the EFI update yet, and sleep mode locks up my computer (never goes to sleep) so I cannot verify that the display works after coming back from sleep mode. Will EFI + Vanilla kernel fix my sleep issues on the Vostro 1400? Most importantly is trying to get QE/CI without having to boot using an external monitor. Please let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks. --fmin
hi!did you try display sleep?(open energy saver preferences, set display sleep timeout to 1minand wait 1 or 2 min, only panel will sleep)

Everyone-

I had a break through today at work. After messing around with the video all morning, it finally worked. I had both the internal monitor and the external montior working. QE/CI enabled and the whole bit. My internal monitor was working at a 1440x900 res and the external was only at a 800x600 res. I went over to the external to try and change the resolution of the external to 1280x1024 and when it switched, it pulled all of the power away from my internal. I know that my interanl was still working because when i tried to get it to switch back i saw i glimpse of the screen and then the power went off.

I then tried to switch the monitors using the HOt keys on my Dell D630 and then the screen got garbelled. Then i rebooted and all i could get was trhe external monitor at the full res. My internal would not power on again. I belive that the issue with the dell is a power managemnt issue. The video card works with the 10.5.1 AppleX3100.kext and AppleX3100FB.kext installed with natit.kext, but the fault is some where in the power management.

I am not a expert on this but all i know is what happened to me today. We are so close let's keep this going.

Dell D630

Intel 7300 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo - worked once

Sigmatel 9205 - not working

Dell 1490 - fully working

Ejlax,

Most Dell users and a few other laptops have already experienced exactly what you have laid out. Unfortunately therein lies the problem, for us it is a two pronged issue.

We are pretty sure that power management is involved, we are just not sure exactly WHY the internal display is shutting down.

The other issue is related to the framebuffer, most people who has the GMAX3100 and some who have the 950 experience the "garbled display". There seems to be a recent psuedo-solution to that problem though using SwithResX.

For the Dells and others who simply get a dead LCD when the loginwindow starts though the issue of why the LCD gets powered down before we can address the framebuffer issue.

Ejlax,

Most Dell users and a few other laptops have already experienced exactly what you have laid out. Unfortunately therein lies the problem, for us it is a two pronged issue.

We are pretty sure that power management is involved, we are just not sure exactly WHY the internal display is shutting down.

The other issue is related to the framebuffer, most people who has the GMAX3100 and some who have the 950 experience the "garbled display". There seems to be a recent psuedo-solution to that problem though using SwithResX.

For the Dells and others who simply get a dead LCD when the loginwindow starts though the issue of why the LCD gets powered down before we can address the framebuffer issue.

So where do we go from here. Is there anyway to tell why it works one time and not another?

If you have a Dell or other laptop that the LCD simply powers off when loginwindow.app loads then this solution has a good chance of working for you:

Prerequisites:

1. Another Mac running Leo

1a. If no Leo is available, a familiarity with VNC and another computer on which to run it.

2. Your laptop must be running the sleep kernel, you can not run the vanilla leo kernel

3. You must enable screen sharing on your laptop. If you don't have another Leo machine available, make sure you configure the VNC option

4. PC-EFI (I recommend version 8, you will need 7.2 or higher)

Steps:

1. You must generate a hex string for your specific machine. This is a complex process and has been discussed earlier in this thread and others. I would suggest you visit Netkas' forums to find out more about this. It is possible that the generic dump from a Macbook with a GMA X3100 would work, I have not tested it.

2. Insert that hex string into your boot.plist file. Again, information about this can be found on Netkas' site.

3. Make sure you delete AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

4. Download this file. In it you will find the generic AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts, the version of Natit I am using, and a copy of my Boot.plist file. I would assume anyone with the same laptop as I could use this file with zero or little modification.

5. Install all the kexts, remembering to repair permissions.

6. Reboot

7. Once your hard drive stops spinning, hit your power button, hit tab, hit space. The computer should now be asleep.

8. Hit your power button to wake your laptop, and woo hoo, your display should be working.

You will just need to repeat steps 7 and 8 after each time you power off or reboot.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you. At least now we know for sure it is simply a power management issue.

hi great errand,

if i install kaly new dvd with sleep kernel, reboot, restart installation, copy kext and repair permission, is the same?

i don't have the dell wireless card... i want buy it.. but is more time expensive.

hardware is the d630/1440X900display!

bye

theSLug

Slug,

That sounds about right, but after the installation completes and it reboots for the first time you will need to do the following:

1. Boot in single user mode

2. Copy the AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts to a location outside of your Extensions folder

3. Delete the AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts from the extensions folder.

4. Reboot and complete setup

5. Once setup has been completed, THEN copy over my files.

6. Since you are on a D630, you should be able to use my device string without any editing, just copy it into your Boot.plist file.

BTW: The maximum resolution is 1280x800.

When I go to switch resolutions, that is the highest value I am presented with. You may be able to force it higher, but 1280x800 is what I prefer anyway.

Everyone-

I was able to get the internal monitor working at 95% (only reason i put it at 95% is because i have to wake it to get it to work)

The steps that i took are following:

Install the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAFB.kext along with the Natit from Errandwolfe's link above.

If you have a Dell D630 - copy the string from his com.Boot.plist and paste into yours.

Go into system preference, open up expose and spaces, then set one of your corners to sleep display

Reboot...

Once you reboot your screen will go completely black, now blindly trace your mouse over to whichever corner you chose for the sleep corner, and then move it back to the middle to wake the monitor and....Voila! C'est Magnifique!

1440X900 is gorgeous...

After checking the System Profiler you will notice that you are full funcitonal with you QE/CI fully enable!

Woo Hoo...i know this isn't the best but it is damn better than where we were three days ago.

Now does anyone have an answer for the Sound on this damn thing? I believe the Dell D630's have Sigmatel 9205.

Have you tried new iATKOS Leo? It recognizes my Toshiba A200 and X3100 and its installation screen is 1280x800 right out the box. I've had the same problem as you (Ext display was OK).

i tried iatkos.. on boot, whit -v or -x -v or -x -v platorm=x86 the screen remain black! :(

i tried kayway, with -v kernel panic, with -x -v kernel panic, with -x -v cpus=1 installation stop@ IOAPIC: Vesion 0X20 etcetc

:(

my d630 mount bios 1.04

i tried iatkos.. on boot, whit -v or -x -v or -x -v platorm=x86 the screen remain black! :(

i tried kayway, with -v kernel panic, with -x -v kernel panic, with -x -v cpus=1 installation stop@ IOAPIC: Vesion 0X20 etcetc

:)

my d630 mount bios 1.04

Slug - iATKOS works on D630 but just need to be patient and let display sleep as follows:

Charge Battery

Disconnect AC power lead (system on battery)

Boot from DVD.

Wait until screen goes black, close lid.

Wait 15+ mins, open lid and press a key.

Install iATKOS in 1440x900 with working X3100!

Once installed you'll have the same power management issue with the display.

Jim,

Rather then letting the machine sleep via time out, I have used a much quicker method.

1. Install OS X

2. Boot in single user mode

3. MOVE the AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts out of extensions.

4. Complete install in VESA mode. Either set hot corners to enable sleep, or disable automatic login.

5. Reinstall X3100 kexts and reboot.

6. When your machine reboots you can either use your mouse to go to the sleep hot corner or if you disabled automatic login hit buttons in this sequence. Power -> Tab -> Space.

7. Wake from sleep and you should be good to go.

I haven't tested this specifically for Iatkos or Kalyway, running ToH RC2 and see no reason to upgrade. This should would on just about any sleep capable distro.

I haven't tested this specifically for Iatkos or Kalyway, running ToH RC2 and see no reason to upgrade. This should would on just about any sleep capable distro.

This was specifically for iATKOS as there are no X3100 extensions to delete on the DVD and -x doesn't work either - you just get a blank screen at bootup from the DVD, it's just less hassle than ToH RC2 to reinstall (apart from the blank screen issue).