[How to] GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R guide

thysm00

195 posts in this topic

I also got lan working out of the box without patching with every version i tested (brazilmac toh kalyway and iatkos, i use kalyway now).

@rschultz101 : for the noise problem i choose my 7300 card fanless for 40 euros, you can also find cheaper ones off ebay. There's one thing i don't understand, why are u using a usb dongle for sound? the alc889 soundcard works perfectly, even spdif out front pannel mic ... are working great!

I also had the shutdown restart problems and there's a fix on the kalyway install dvd and it's working great you can maybe extract the package from th ekalyway disc.

Apart from the ahci mode, everything is working really good on this board, and yes hotplug doesn't work and it really wouldbe great!

And for your image file i think it'be great but i'm not sure i would work because of the booting issues but i'll try. Anyway i'm doing quite the same, i have 2nd hd that i plug in and boot from , then i copy (ccc) it to the first disk and i works. If you make such an image, tell me how you get it to make it bootable, ireally am intersted :D

Hallo,

i am an happy GA-G33M user! It is a beautiful mobo for Leo..

I have only two problem:

1) When i wake from sleep, my usb port does not function...

2) When i shutdown, sometimes power led and fan of pc remains switched on..

My software config is:

Installation from Toh Leo 10.5.0 RC2

PC_EFI_v8

Kernel 9.1 from 10.5.1 Kalywai

All kext are from Toh, except default AppleACPIPlatform.kext from Kaly.

Which drivers must replace to solve my problem?

I must add dsmos.kext if i use patched kernel?

And AppleSMBios.kext, witch version?

I know are that critical driver..

Thanks!

And excuse me for "maccheron" :) English!

Hi all,

I would like to buy this motherboard, and I would ask one question:

- Is it possible connect a DVD at the IDE connector (with the boot function) and the HD SATA at the SATA plug how for the my other MoBo (ASRock 1333-D677) ?

I don't want buy another DVD with SATA interface, but use only IDE, and use the SATA plug for the HD.

If it's possible, are which the BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Andrea

Everything's working, just look at the first post. Just set your sata mode as ahci.

Hi all,

I would like to buy this motherboard, and I would ask one question:

- Is it possible connect a DVD at the IDE connector (with the boot function) and the HD SATA at the SATA plug how for the my other MoBo (ASRock 1333-D677) ?

I don't want buy another DVD with SATA interface, but use only IDE, and use the SATA plug for the HD.

If it's possible, are which the BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Andrea

no AHCI , -> sata native ICH9 , all sata ports?

top page, found the link,....

but said, some of the sata ports won't work after that ?

can anybody confirm,... ?

right now need all the sata ports,....

down the road, thinking, getting a 4 port card, that might also enable hot-plug esata,..

Does anyone know if this guide will work with a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H mobo? It's very similar to the GA-G33M-DS2R but has HDMI.

GA-G33M-S2H

GA-G33M-DS2R

I'm looking to build an HTPC and trying to find a great motherboard that will work with OSx86. The closest match I've found to the S2H is the DS2R. I don't want to risk buying the S2H and find that it doesn't work so if no one's attempted it, I might err on the side of caution and just get DS2R and go HDMI-less.

Everything's working, just look at the first post. Just set your sata mode as ahci.

I have this board with 3gigs ram, 2 SATA drives, one USB drive, 1 IDE DVD Writer. I have the sata settings to not be at ahci and the ide dvd installed perfectly. The main reason for not using ahci for me was the delay in booting and while xp installed fine with ahci settings vista never did. I have never been able to get sleep to work. Might that be related to the ahci thing?

The GMA 3100 graphics don't work other than in the one setting as noted. LAN works great. The patch for Bonjour did not work for me.

I put in an ATI HD 2600 Pro card with 256megs and I get all kinds of settings but oddly enough no QE support (but ci support). I am not sure what is happening here. The Get Info is

----------------------

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9589

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-207

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.207

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

-------

My Samsung monitor now sleeps after I put in the Ati card. Moreover, I can run Fusion with my XP install on the other hard drive (ie there is boot camp support). That is really wierd.

So, any ideas on how to get Sleep working? What about QE? The instructions for that are all over the map. I will probably return the Ati and get a GeFore 7300GT which seems easier to deal with. I have used the Triakis drivers and inserted the id 0x95891002 into the Info.plist . That doesn't work. The best would be to get GMA 3100 working (:

If I try to power off (not restart) the computer I get a kernel panic - this didn't happen with no Ati .

In short:

1- How to get sleep working.

2- How to get QE working (or maybe it is and the Get Info is wrong? Odd that ci is there but not QE.

3- Boot Camp works with XP on one SATA drive and OSX on the other using Fusion.

ls

@boltdozer: For the hdmi thing i really don't know...

@lstep: I use a 7300 nvidia card and sleep is working well and not related to the ahci sata mode since i tried with and without it. And i've seen a lot of people who get problems with the ati cards so i suggest you to get a nvidia one, they support everything inclueded dual display rotation and so on... And you won't get the X3100 to work since it's completely different from the gma950 and that no apple computer uses it.

No don't, just try to reset your bios (clear cmos), i use an apple keyboard (the newest one) and i used to use the old one (white one) and both are working flawlessly. I also use a mighty mouse that came with my macbook so there's no problem with the apple keyboard. Or maybe you can update you bios after borrowing a keyboard from one of your friend.

Just one thing did you try to hit F1 at boot? i had an error the first time i booted with this motherboard. But it's not keyboard related but floppy related and there's an option in bios to change that.

Another thing i updated to 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel with this board and everything is working flawlessly. The only issue is reboot shutdown wich does not work anymore. i'll try to find out why and update the guide.

I also have this board, here is my build now with 10.5.2, it is now running a core 2 quad at 3.4 gigs and with the 8800 GTX flashed to Quadro FX 5600 is blisteringly fast, over 300 score in x bench now. Absolutely everything works perfectly except one thing and that is shutdown. Occasionally, it will shut down properly, but more often than not, I am left with the fans running and have to manually shutdown. Anyone have an answer to this?

My Build

I'm editing the Guide right now and adding some info. I get it to shutdown properly most of the time but sometimes not and i also get the fans spinning and the light on in the front of my G5 case... I just added an option in the bios and changed instant off to 4 seconds or something like that.

Your hackintoshes are crazy man, you must have spent a lot of money and time into building this, when i builded mine in my G5 case, i wanted to make something like yours, but when i just finished pluging the motherboard i felt tired and didn't take care of the rest... Anyway wouaou!!!! you're a great computer builder!!!

@lstep: I use a 7300 nvidia card and sleep is working well and not related to the ahci sata mode since i tried with and without it. And i've seen a lot of people who get problems with the ati cards so i suggest you to get a nvidia one, they support everything inclueded dual display rotation and so on... And you won't get the X3100 to work since it's completely different from the gma950 and that no apple computer uses it.

Well I took your advice and got a PNY-7300GT. What a relief. It works great (ci and qe). Intel has released source code for the 3100 so you never know, but for now I am very happy with the 7300GT.

I finally managed to clone the 10.5.2 drive to a larger drive using HDClone (I had tried Acronis, Ghost, Paragon, TM, CCCloner, ...all to no avail (Ghost worked going to a smaller drive). The problem is related to making the drive bootable and this means installing the EFI stuff, which for me seems mysterious. I have an external 120gig e-sata drive that I first try things on. If they work then I can now move things to my internal 320gig drive with OSX. XP lives on an internal 160gig drive and Fusion boots that. The only problem with HDClone is that it takes 6 hours as it does things via copying sectors. Nice program for something free.

Now to deal with sleep! Thank's for the advice.

ls

PS: Is there a wireless G PCI card that works reliably? My RaLink USB wireless is quite unreliable so I have to use the built in LAN. Am trying to get rid of wires so...Whoops, just saw your mini-pci. Will that work in the tiny pci slot or does it require a full pci slot? The Gigabyte board has this small slot which is mean for an addon to the 3100 graphics. Am not sure what mini-pci is....

Good to see that the 7300 works better :) For me, sleep is also working.

For your cloning things, i don't really understand what you're trying to do... but under osx there re carbon copy cloner and super duper which can handle that in about 30 minuts depending on the size of your hd...

As for the wifi, you have to get mini pci like mine, it's recognized without any hack at first boot. The mini pci is the laptop format so you'll need a mini pci to pci adapter like this: http://cgi.ebay.fr/Adaptateur-Mini-PCI-ver...7QQcmdZViewItem

or this which is a lot cheper:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Mini-PCI-to-PCI-Adapter...1QQcmdZViewItem

But maybe you can find a wireless pci wich works without this, but i tried and did not find any...

Well I took your advice and got a PNY-7300GT. What a relief. It works great (ci and qe). Intel has released source code for the 3100 so you never know, but for now I am very happy with the 7300GT.

I finally managed to clone the 10.5.2 drive to a larger drive using HDClone (I had tried Acronis, Ghost, Paragon, TM, CCCloner, ...all to no avail (Ghost worked going to a smaller drive). The problem is related to making the drive bootable and this means installing the EFI stuff, which for me seems mysterious. I have an external 120gig e-sata drive that I first try things on. If they work then I can now move things to my internal 320gig drive with OSX. XP lives on an internal 160gig drive and Fusion boots that. The only problem with HDClone is that it takes 6 hours as it does things via copying sectors. Nice program for something free.

Now to deal with sleep! Thank's for the advice.

ls

PS: Is there a wireless G PCI card that works reliably? My RaLink USB wireless is quite unreliable so I have to use the built in LAN. Am trying to get rid of wires so...Whoops, just saw your mini-pci. Will that work in the tiny pci slot or does it require a full pci slot? The Gigabyte board has this small slot which is mean for an addon to the 3100 graphics. Am not sure what mini-pci is....

Good to see that the 7300 works better :) For me, sleep is also working.

For your cloning things, i don't really understand what you're trying to do... but under osx there re carbon copy cloner and super duper which can handle that in about 30 minuts depending on the size of your hd...

But maybe you can find a wireless pci wich works without this, but i tried and did not find any...

Well sleep is now working fine:) The 7300 seems to have had a positive effect all around. As for the cloning. If you use Carbon Copy Cloner (great program) you won't get a bootable hard drive. I use that program on my Mac's all the time and it's very fast as you note. What I am trying to do with the cloning is to have a bootable hard drive that I can try new things on. When they work I can then use them on my "production" install. Basically, I don't know how to recover from a situation which messes up an install. It seems to me I'd have to install the EFI and then restore the hard drive from carbon copy cloner, but I don't know enough about efi to make things work.

There is supposed to be a wireless PCI card which works out of the box. I bought it and installed it. The problem is the OSX PC doesn't see any PCI cards at all (it's as though it doesn't support PCI) and so I can't install a driver. The card is supposed to just use the Airport drivers. Did you have to do anything to get PCI cards recognized? No Intel Mac's ship with PCI slots so perhaps Leopard stopped supporting them?

Odd...Perhaps I'll try installing OSX 10.4.10 . It's no big deal as ethernet works great. but it's puzzling.

ls

I'm editing the Guide right now and adding some info. I get it to shutdown properly most of the time but sometimes not and i also get the fans spinning and the light on in the front of my G5 case... I just added an option in the bios and changed instant off to 4 seconds or something like that.

Your hackintoshes are crazy man, you must have spent a lot of money and time into building this, when i builded mine in my G5 case, i wanted to make something like yours, but when i just finished pluging the motherboard i felt tired and didn't take care of the rest... Anyway wouaou!!!! you're a great computer builder!!!

Hi thysm00, which patch have you run in Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD to fix reboot/shutdown problem? I tried your "instant off delay to 4 sec" method but still doesn't help..... B)

@lstep: I had the same as you for cloning my hds for the same purpose: testing in order not to break everything at every update. SO just make a fresh install like i did on another hd and apply the few patches needed (you can also copy all the extensions folder from your working install, it should install everything) then use the migration assistant to copy all of your data.

I always wondered if installing kalyway on a disk and then using carbon copy would work. But i know that if you make a carbon copy of your install and boot with the install dvd in without pressing any key, it should boot well.

@SkyZ:When you install kaly and select custom install, you'll see in the first category the vanilla kernel and acpi fix, this is the patch. If you use the 10.5.2 update (i did the manual one), BEFORE updating, remember to keep a copy of all your kexts. Because you'll have to copy some of them back: the alc889 ones, the appleacpiplatform.kext and also the smbios.kext. I tried another smbios posted on a forum supposed to display better informations about the hardware and the only thing it did was making boot time even longer (i had the sign you get when you forget to put sata in ahci mode but it boted after 2 minutes).

Hi thysm00, which patch have you run in Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD to fix reboot/shutdown problem? I tried your "instant off delay to 4 sec" method but still doesn't help..... ;)

@SkyZ:When you install kaly and select custom install, you'll see in the first category the vanilla kernel and acpi fix, this is the patch. If you use the 10.5.2 update (i did the manual one), BEFORE updating, remember to keep a copy of all your kexts. Because you'll have to copy some of them back: the alc889 ones, the appleacpiplatform.kext and also the smbios.kext. I tried another smbios posted on a forum supposed to display better informations about the hardware and the only thing it did was making boot time even longer (i had the sign you get when you forget to put sata in ahci mode but it boted after 2 minutes).

Thks thysm00~~~ I think the problem is the vanilla appleacpiplatform.kext from 10.5.2 combo upgrade package (I upgrade the system manually too), I don't have a chance to test it yet, but will definitely replace it with Netkas reboot fix copy of appleacpiplatform.kext and let you guys know how it goes.

Thks thysm00~~~ I think the problem is the vanilla appleacpiplatform.kext from 10.5.2 combo upgrade package (I upgrade the system manually too), I don't have a chance to test it yet, but will definitely replace it with Netkas reboot fix copy of appleacpiplatform.kext and let you guys know how it goes.

I can claim that Netkas reboot fix copy of appleacpiplatform.kext solve the problem (no need to do the delay 4 sec thing). ;)

@lstep: I had the same as you for cloning my hds for the same purpose: testing in order not to break everything at every update. SO just make a fresh install like i did on another hd and apply the few patches needed (you can also copy all the extensions folder from your working install, it should install everything) then use the migration assistant to copy all of your data.

I always wondered if installing kalyway on a disk and then using carbon copy would work. But i know that if you make a carbon copy of your install and boot with the install dvd in without pressing any key, it should boot well.

Hmm...could you then restore a hard drive by booting from the install DVD and make use of either TM and/or Carbon Copy Cloner? For example you could carbon copy to another hard drive, boot off the DVD and then restore that copy to the original (which would still have the EFI)...or would the EFI part be erased? It's all a mystery.

Unfortunately I upgraded to 10.5.2 using the Galyway upgrade and did not save appleacpiplatform.kext and smbios.kext from my 10.5.1 install. Consequently sleep no longer works. Is there an easy way of getting them back? Perhaps they are hiding on the 10.5.1 install DVD? I'd rather not have to go through everything again. I finally have my cheap USB Zio wireless running flawlessly:) I'd go the mini-pcie to pci+ broadcom route but these things are really hard to find over here .

ls

I can claim that Netkas reboot fix copy of appleacpiplatform.kext solve the problem (no need to do the delay 4 sec thing). :D

Is this a new fix from netkas? Or still the same as the 10.5.1 fix?

Hmm...could you then restore a hard drive by booting from the install DVD and make use of either TM and/or Carbon Copy Cloner? For example you could carbon copy to another hard drive, boot off the DVD and then restore that copy to the original (which would still have the EFI)...or would the EFI part be erased? It's all a mystery.

Unfortunately I upgraded to 10.5.2 using the Galyway upgrade and did not save appleacpiplatform.kext and smbios.kext from my 10.5.1 install. Consequently sleep no longer works. Is there an easy way of getting them back? Perhaps they are hiding on the 10.5.1 install DVD? I'd rather not have to go through everything again. I finally have my cheap USB Zio wireless running flawlessly:) I'd go the mini-pcie to pci+ broadcom route but these things are really hard to find over here .

There's one way to avoid you to get your kexts back: get the ones i'll pm you tonight :D

As for the time machine trick, i think it won't work since the problem is the boot fix. If you make a usual carbon copy, it can boot but only with the dvd inserted (and don't press any key) and the HD set to 1st boot device of course. I think time machine would do the same job as carbon copy cloner. I know there's a way to make any partition bootable: see here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209. But i still prefer to install a brand new os and use the migration assistant and copy my extensions back :)

As for the wifi, ebay was the onlyway for me :)