PC EFI Enables Vanilla OS X Kernel Boot on White Box PCs

REVENGE

126 posts in this topic

where do kexts come from? do guru people write them (non-apple guru people)?

We have all sors of people writing them, some of which do have Guru status on here. Otherwise, a bunch of people at Hackint0sh do, there's the X Labs people, some regular users, and some completely independent projects like MacKX.

does that mean that boot camp will work? and we can boot camp Vista? (don't ask why I need a boot camp )

No. They have not installed Apple EFI onto a motherboard's firmware, they have simply built the necessary EFI calls and info into the Darwin bootloader so that when that bootloader is used, the vanilla kernel will detect EFI and boot properly. You will still have to use either a linux or a Microsoft bootloader to boot Vista.

where do kexts come from? do guru people write them (non-apple guru people)?

Not necessarily, some kexts came from Darwin (Open Source), some from BSD drivers, some from Linux drivers, and some from scratch.

An example is the ApplePS2 kexts that came from Darwin, Mac don't have PS2 connectors so Mac OS don come with this, but they work with Mac OS X.

Not necessarily, some kexts came from Darwin (Open Source), some from BSD drivers, some from Linux drivers, and some from scratch.

An example is the ApplePS2 kexts that came from Darwin, Mac don't have PS2 connectors so Mac OS don come with this, but they work with Mac OS X.

interesting. So if I were to write a kext, I would just have to make it compatible with darwin, and then it would probably work with os X?

is it hard/time-consuming to write a kext?

There's still the TPM protection right ? When you download an OSX update from Apple, there are encrypted binaries that must be decrypted manually or i am missing something ?

The biggest myth that yet remains in the community.

The whole EFI "mastery" :( thing is really great news. Kudos to all those that have worked so tirelessly on it.

But I'm not buying this "vanilla" PC thing. We still need edited kexts to get all our different ethernet, wireless, sound, video working.

I'll get excited when targeted disk mode works on any PC. :whistle:

[i don't know why this wasn't posted, but it definitely belongs on the Front Page.]

Off-topic:

I was wondering the same! Why do we get instead "news" such as those on new apple ads, apple market share and the likes? Isn't this site supposed to talk mainly about osx86 and apple hacking?

I've got the feeling that the frontpage is steering more and more towards MAC users. Don't we have already enough Mac rumours web sites on the net?

Well it works on AMD too, but still need patched kernel and kexts.

I thought the very idea of enabling EFI was so that one could boot into the orginal kernel? If you need a patched kernel to use EFI what is the point?

of course i'm talking of EFI and AMD

Just so we're all clear Im in no way trying to ridicule these efforts dong by devolopers in this matter. Just trying to get some information about this before I decide to try it on my rig

Looks like my processor (900 MHz Intel Celeron-M ULV 353) supports MMX, SSE, SSE2 but not SSE3, so it looks like the EFI patch won't work on mine off the bat...

However, it also mentions something called ToH kernel. Can someone explain more or point me in the right direction?

i was just woundering why u cant get a EFI MOBO and just flash it with the apples EFI firmware insted of haveing to use a emulated EFI. use a board that matches a real mac mb as close as u can i know intel sells them . then just use a real mac video card and all the problems are gone . or is it not this simple. i am new at this so dont flame me for asking abut i would theink this would be the way to go to get it as close to real mac with out any hacking

i was just woundering why u cant get a EFI MOBO and just flash it with the apples EFI firmware insted of haveing to use a emulated EFI. use a board that matches a real mac mb as close as u can i know intel sells them . then just use a real mac video card and all the problems are gone . or is it not this simple. i am new at this so dont flame me for asking abut i would theink this would be the way to go to get it as close to real mac with out any hacking

This has been answered before by our own EFI X Labs dev team. It is indeed not so simple, although we have made progress in creating an EFI that will work on PCs and will be able to handle OS X.