TimeMachine fails backup

theotheo

225 posts in this topic

For anyone who has the en2 or whatever problem for their ethernet card. TM needs en0 to work properly.

Very simple instructions on the Apple support site.

Worked like a charm for me. At the bottom of the page...

Red "i" message: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

From the Finder's Go menu go to this location:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Copy the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist" to the desktop (to make a precautionary backup).

Delete the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist". Enter administrator name and password if prompted.

Restart your Mac.

Once restarted, reconfigure your the Network and Time Machine preference panes in System Preferences.

Once I did this, I opened the network preference, deleted my old network connection and created a new one...automatically named en0!

Enjoy

Red "i" message: "Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found"

Thank you very much, it solved my problem :wacko:

I nevere thought that one could actually get help from Apple support site :)

This worked for me!

On iAtkos v7 (10.5.7.7)

rock on RokyRock

UPDATE!!

I finally managed to make it work! I found the solution here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...509&p=20212

For some reason TM wants the ethernet interface en0 to be used, and for some reason in my machine my network card was assigned at en2! If you have two Network cards i think en0 just has to be assigned, then you can use wathever you want

So try removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (backup first) and reboot (this worked for me)

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist if needed

nb: I also have the modified kext, so i dont know if is necessary or not!

;)

As it turns out, in addition to the apple fix, I also had to patch IONetworkingFamily.kext for my iAtkos 10.5.7 install.

But backups running fine now!

When I boot from iDeneb or Kalyway install DVD I can't start TM restore. I get to info screen and when I click continue nothing happens. Colored wheel starts to spin and that's it. I left it for more than half an hour - still nothing. Any ideas ?

I have:

iDeneb 10.5.6 install DVD

iDeneb 10.5.7 TM backups

Gigabyte P35-DS3 motherboard

Geforce 8800 GT graphics card

4Gb ram

250Gb WD sata system disk

1Tb WD backup disk

• 1 month later...
Hi,

If you downloaded the kext using Safari, it has added an extended attribute to the file that will prevent the system from using it. This is new to 10.5 and is obviously an extended security measure. You can easily check this because there is an "@" symbol at the end of the permissions block on an ls : e.g., "drwxr-xr-x@ 10 root wheel 340 2 Nov 14:47 Contents"

The people who got this to work probably downloaded using Firefox.

You can see if there are extended attributes on a file using xattr. Here's a snippet:

bash-3.2# xattr IONetworkingFamily.kext/

com.apple.quarantine <=== not going to work with this!

And to fix this, run:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext

If that doesn't work, you may need to do this recursively if the component files and directories contain the same extended attribute. Thus:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

find IONetworkingFamily.kext -exec xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {} \;

This will take a minute. Ignore the "No such xattr: ..." warnings.

This may be relevant to many different 10.5 problems when files are downloaded using Safari.

I hope this helps.

Quelg

works perfect!!!! finally got everything working on iatkosv7 thanks team

• 2 months later...
Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

Thanks a lot!

Works fine on iAtkos v7 with official 10.5.8 update!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i also have iAtkos v7 and my ethernet are en2 & en3. So i did what the post says with kext, and also changed le plist files, so a new interface en0 appeared (en2 & en3 are still here) but Time Machine still ask for the {censored} en0!! what's wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got an issue I've been struggling with. Maybe someone's got an idea. I have a HP proliant ML 115 that I set up 10.5.4 server on using the Leo install. Out of the box, couldn't get any network working, because the internal (board-mounted) broadcomm adapter just wouldn't initialize at all. Even tried patching kexts, no avail.

So I disabled it in the bios, and popped in an intel 82557 card in it and it works as en0. Kinda.

There's an obvious problem somewhere, and I think it's in the IONetworkingFamily.kext. First off, for some reason applications cannot poll the en0 interface mac address. It's there, and I even go as far as to set it with a startup script, but I constantly get an error from WPWebServices that it can't determine the mac address for en0, AND I get a ton of error 45's thru finder and when I try to select a TM backup disk.

I have a TC on the network, works good for other units, but this server can see it - but can't connect to it. I've tried several ION kexts, and there's no attributes on the package, so I'm not sure wtf is going on..

However, one of the weird things that takes place is this. If you go into finder, and connect to server, no matter what you enter in the box, it returns the popup box saying the address is not formatted correctly and should begin with afp://, http://, etc. So it can't connect outbound that way. At all. Whatever the problem it affects TM too.

Ideas?

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to trick Time Machine into thinking my Airport is an ethernet device because my ethernet port does not work (there is no .kext for the revision 1062 Attransic). My Airport is already configured to en0 and works fine.

I have tried the EFI string and changing BuiltIn to true in NetworkInterfaces.plist. None of this is working.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
When I boot from iDeneb or Kalyway install DVD I can't start TM restore. I get to info screen and when I click continue nothing happens. Colored wheel starts to spin and that's it. I left it for more than half an hour - still nothing. Any ideas ?

I have:

iDeneb 10.5.6 install DVD

iDeneb 10.5.7 TM backups

Gigabyte P35-DS3 motherboard

Geforce 8800 GT graphics card

4Gb ram

250Gb WD sata system disk

1Tb WD backup disk

I had the same problem with iDenbe 10.5.8 Lite but found a solution:

Boot with the itakos 1.7 (10.5.7) DVD and the Time Machine Restore works (well it did for me).

Then the system would not boot. (I read somewhere that plist info and some other stuff is not backed up by Time machine because it is not needed on a real mac.)

I then booted off my iDeneb disk and just selected Chamelion (de-selected all other options).

This quickly installs and I rebooted to a fully restored system.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE!!

I finally managed to make it work! I found the solution here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...509&p=20212

For some reason TM wants the ethernet interface en0 to be used, and for some reason in my machine my network card was assigned at en2! If you have two Network cards i think en0 just has to be assigned, then you can use wathever you want

So try removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (backup first) and reboot (this worked for me)

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist if needed

nb: I also have the modified kext, so i dont know if is necessary or not!

:wacko:

It seem that r4idei found solution for this problem, my TM was working fine, I was backing up manually, but one day it stop working and I found his post which works 100% for me.

Thank you r4idei

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks this got it working for ma also.

For anyone who has the en2 or whatever problem for their ethernet card. TM needs en0 to work properly.

Copy the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist" to the desktop (to make a precautionary backup).

Delete the file "NetworkInterfaces.plist". Enter administrator name and password if prompted.

Restart your Mac.

Once restarted, reconfigure your the Network and Time Machine preference panes in System Preferences.

Once I did this, I opened the network preference, deleted my old network connection and created a new one...automatically named en0!

Enjoy

• 4 months later...

If you did this:

got IONetworkingFamily.kext from 1st page and placed it in /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

and this:

Restart your Mac.

and there is no result, try this:

get your IONetworkingFamily.kext back and restore network settings.

Your Ethernet should be renamed automatically as en0 after you moved old NetworkInterfaces.plist into Trash and restart your PC.

If your en0 Ethernet is working well you can fix your Time Machine:

download EFIStudio

run it and add device Ethernet

post-573078-1286054038_thumb.png

then write it in the com.apple.Boot.plist (there is the button)

post-573078-1286054048_thumb.png

reboot and enjoy

• 8 months later...