Bought Mac Pro Case from Uk ebay..

goodl

88 posts in this topic

Hi aquamac, i just bought a G5 case and trying to modd it with my GA G33-ds2R. Can you explain briefly some points like:

- is the front audio working with the internal front panel audio connector?

- is there a way to get some plugs closer to the rear of the case without cutting it?

- is usb from front pannel working easyly and how?

Thanks a lot!

Hi aquamac, i just bought a G5 case and trying to modd it with my GA G33-ds2R. Can you explain briefly some points like:

- is the front audio working with the internal front panel audio connector?

- is there a way to get some plugs closer to the rear of the case without cutting it?

- is usb from front pannel working easyly and how?

Thanks a lot!

This is a Mac Pro case thread and is different.

I'm almost done with mine using a G5 + G33-DS2R...

Things I've done :

Make a motherboard tray to hold the mobo in place using the apple standoffs

Shorten psu leads, remove uneeded connectors and mount to bottom of case

Fabricate a bracket to hold power connector in place

Cut and splice stock apple wiring harness to my psu.

Mount two 92mm fans in the stock rear locations

Create cable to connect front panel to firewire/usb/audio headers on mobo (it's not going to be plug and play!)

Place an RJ45 socket on a pcb and mount on stock rear panel and wire

Bond using epoxy a cut down 3.5mm audio jack to the stock rear panel and wire

I haven't cut anything on my case, the ethernet and audio are on orignal back panel, there are 6 usb on PCI brackets and I have a pci wlan card and usb blutooth dongle connected internally to the stock built in apple aerials.

The pin outs for the front panel are in the G5 case thread.

Japhex:

The case dealer is Scrumpymacs on eBay UK.

Things I've done :

Create cable to connect front panel to firewire/usb/audio headers on mobo (it's not going to be plug and play!)

I haven't cut anything on my case, the ethernet and audio are on orignal back panel, there are 6 usb on PCI brackets and I have a pci wlan card and usb blutooth dongle connected internally to the stock built in apple aerials.

Japhex:

Magsy, PM sent.

Things I've done :

Japhex:

Thank you for your response! My case is shipping right now so as soon as i get it i'll begin my mod and post results in the right thread. I just thought the macpro case was very similar to the G5 one, at least for the rear panel.

Fatherless one,

I have not been around for a while, but I am going to use that card to get the front firewire ports working. As you can see, the card has an internal firewire 800 port. This is the connection that the front panel needs to get both FW800 & FW400 ports working. There is a chip on the front panel board that works as a Hub & steps down the 800 connection to 400 for the 400 port.

I have been working on water cooling my motherboard this weekend, here are a few shots of progress so far. I still have got a fair bit of work to do, such as siting the reservoir inside the case:

macpro1.jpeg

insidea.jpeg

inside2b.jpeg

& also getting hold of a second 120 mm fan to match the one that is fitted. The Danger Den 8800 GTX waterblock is beautifully made and works a treat - completely silent! Also the northbridge used to get hot but now runs at room temp. I quite fancy cooling the southbridge too, but have not really found a suitable cooler yet. I am currently designing a stainless shroud with a small window to see "the works" inside. I will put up some pics when it is done.

Hi Goodl,

The power supply cover is actually another CD cage that I cut the CD part off of (I ordered 2). I had to cut it down in length a bit too, but that was easy with just a hack saw, as the alloy is fairly soft. Cleaned the edge with flour paper very carefully. I then fixed that onto the side of the power supply.

Thanks macmini, I have just started making a stainless steel shroud for the mac pro above, I plan on a small side window maybe in the shape of an Apple logo to keep a check on fluid levels. I will put up another pic when it's done.

Hi all,

I don't have forgotten of you.

I have modified the inside cables and those of the power supply so I can use them together.

Besides I have just bought the front panel board and now I will make the correct cable. Do you have used, for this, the information on the Zapro's blog for the connections of the front panel?

What have you used for the inside loudspeaker?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Andrea form Rome.

Well goodl,

I installed the following card in my mac pro case (Belkin Part # F5U602ea), then plugged the front panel FW800 lead into the internal socket and bang FW800 & FW 400 out of the respective front sockets on the case!! Thought I would mention it as I think you were considering something like that. Great way of enabling FW800 FW400 & another pair of USB 2 sockets.

STD1_F5U602.jpg

fwfrontpanel.jpeg

To get this to show correctly in System Profiler you need to go into the System profiler file and replace replace SPFirewireReporter.sprereporter with the one below. Don't forget to repair permissions.

SPFireWireReporter.spreporter.zip