ICH8 SATA Driver installer for Asus P5B

Trauma!

48 posts in this topic

Hy Menphis2K,

P5B motherboard don't use this device ID's. P5B Deluxe have an ICH8R chipset and it's better recognized in OS X.

I now can use ALL my ports in Leopard, there was another kext loading instead of mine for the ICH8.

I'm looking after HFBT informations, in order to recreat it in the installation process...

For people who are planning to install BrazilMac release juste replace the AppleHACI.kext and VIAATA.kext by those into my installer before running the postpatch script from Brazilmac.

Which kext was loading instead of yours ? what should be removed ?

Hey Trauma23,

I can use All my SATA & IDE ports on my P5B Deluxe fine. All benchmark fine. Its just I would like to know if there is a way I can keep AHCI & somehow get Leopard to think there INTERNAL drives instead of EXTERNAL.

Has anyone had luck getting there ICH8R under Leopard working while the drive is internal AKA NON-removable??

Without changing the Device ID's, everything turned up "Unknown..." on the ICH8R controller under ACHI.

See attachment for what I mean.

post-132443-1196215609_thumb.jpg

I'd like to know what version of Leopard (ToH or Brazilmac) everyone with a working P5B ICH8 board is using, version of their bios, whether they're using ACHI or IDE, EFI or not, and what method they used to get it working.

I have just the regular P5B on bios 1801.

When I'm set it in IDE mode ToH detects only SATA drives, if I change it to ACHI nothing is detected.

I cannot get Brazilmac to boot at all, maybe because my DVD drive is SATA.

I tried the patch and kext files in this thread on my ToH install which is using EFI v5 and the 10.5.1 kernel and no drives are detected in any mode.

I have an SATA and an IDE drive that I would like to get working at the same time.

Which kext was loading instead of yours ? what should be removed ?

That was this one :

/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext/

It comes from the ToH RC2 Leo installation, i've replace it by an other one found here :

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2434

This AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext was loading instead of the AppleVIATA.kext,

when using the ENHACED/IDE mode and enables Only 2 Ports.

The first of the following ids of the ICH8 ports was present in the info.plist file.

The ENHACED/IDE mode using 2 dev ids : 0x28208086 for the top ports

0x28258086 for the bottom ports

The ENHACED/AHCI mode using 1 dev id : 0x28248086 for the four ports, but only two works

The Jmicron conroler using this one : 0x2366197b

I think the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the link above should fix the external connection problems.

I'd like to know what version of Leopard (ToH or Brazilmac) everyone with a working P5B ICH8 board is using, version of their bios, whether they're using ACHI or IDE, EFI or not, and what method they used to get it working.

I have just the regular P5B on bios 1801.

When I'm set it in IDE mode ToH detects only SATA drives, if I change it to ACHI nothing is detected.

I cannot get Brazilmac to boot at all, maybe because my DVD drive is SATA.

I tried the patch and kext files in this thread on my ToH install which is using EFI v5 and the 10.5.1 kernel and no drives are detected in any mode.

I have an SATA and an IDE drive that I would like to get working at the same time.

I have a P5B Deluxe and as I'm aware, there different from P5B. My BIOS is the newest 1223 I believe. And we have a ICH8R VS the ICH8. I don't RAID any of my disks, a Raptor is fast enough :)

Mine was installed perfectly BrazilMac w/ Post install patches & also another build I tried (currently using) is the BrazilMac Pre Post with vanilla kewts & PC EFI 5.2.

Hi there. I hear people have been having some success with these drivers.

I'm going to give them a go tonight. Do I just unzip and double click - any terminal commands need doing etc? My setup is in my sig - need to get my 4 a SATA orange ports working (ICH8 controller).

Thanks in advance. I'll post success.

****EDIT*****

Worked a treat.

Installed - tweaked the Native mode and AHCI thingy in Bios and I finally see all SATA drives! I even get nice internal drive icons on my desktop as opposed to external orange drive icons.

THANKS!

Has anyone used these drivers with a 10.5.1 upgrade? I was running perfectly with my p5b and a 500g sata drive. I just upgraded and now my drive is back to being really slow and it only shows it as a 128g drive. :( I've reinstalled the kext files and tried the package installer. Perhaps I'm just missing something.

Thanks for the help,

runstop

@trauma23:

When I set my ICH8 Sata to IDE in Bios Os x wont recognize any device connected to the Jmicron controller and takes ages to boot up. Is there a solution? Because I want to use IDE mode, and all my SATA ports at once. :(

Sure, why not :)

I'm not exactly 100% sure, but I'll try:

trauma23 told us a few posts back that /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext already took care of the JMicron stuff, but that didn't work.

I replaced that file with the one attached, removed Extentions.mkext, rebooted with -v -f and they show up :)

I'm gonna try again now for myself (Leopard keeps giving random crashes at boot or when (for example) I start VMWare Fusion..)

AppleIntelPIIXATA.zip

hi Trauma23,

i have tested your patch (in the first page ), i'm on Tiger 10.4.10 with a Asus P5B-VM SE, and i have swichted Jmicron to IDE,but i don't see where to change ICH8 setting, and i have repaired permissions

the boot process still hang at :"waiting for boot volume with uuid .............", with a IDE HDD(i don't have SATA hard drive)

any suggestion ?

Hmm. are you using the Jmicron IDE controller? or the ICH8 sata ones? I am using a sata drive and a sata dvd-r drive. The 500gig sata drive is still showing up as 128g total and is really slow. Either way, I can't get this to work at all. :(

I guess I'll rollback to 10.5.0 and hope someone smarter than me can find a solution. :)

Cheers,

runstop

Sure, why not :)

I'm not exactly 100% sure, but I'll try:

trauma23 told us a few posts back that /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext already took care of the JMicron stuff, but that didn't work.

I replaced that file with the one attached, removed Extentions.mkext, rebooted with -v -f and they show up :)

I'm gonna try again now for myself (Leopard keeps giving random crashes at boot or when (for example) I start VMWare Fusion..)

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...