[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

Achilleus

Achilleus

Developers, Developers, Developers!

• Donators
  • 125 posts
Since we have found a solution, I am modifying this first post to describe how to fix your BRCM4311 problem.

This post has a fixed IOPCIFamily.kext for both Tiger and Leopard. This kext has been met with mixed sucess, but generally it will fix your wifi and ethernet problems. Just replace the kext you have with the new kext and see if it works. If not, make a post on that thread and hopefully they can solve your problem.

Achilleus

Achilleus

• Donators
  • 125 posts
/bump

flkx

flkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes, this topic is a good idea, i have the 4311 problem and i'm just waiting for a miracle :)

+++

jonyb7

jonyb7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
i have Hp NX7300 with broadcom wireless 4311 and if work very well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

only fix that i need is in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

<string>en1</string>
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data> _linenums:0'><key>BSD Name</key><strong class='bbc'><string>en1</string></strong><key>IOBuiltin</key><false/><key>IOInterfaceType</key><integer>6</integer><key>IOInterfaceUnit</key><strong class='bbc'><integer>1</integer></strong><key>IOLocation</key><string></string><key>IOMACAddress</key><data>

instalation is Jas 10.4.8 + Jas 10.4.9 SS3 Intel Update

flkx

flkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
jonyb7, i think your 4311 is not on PCIe port, this is why it's working for you :wacko:

Achilleus

Achilleus

• Donators
  • 125 posts
Yup, this is for PCI Express cards only :(

HooKed

HooKed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Just to keep you guys posted I have a HP dv2000 core 2 duo with a 4311

My switch works fine as far as making the led turn orange and also when i turn the switch to off my bluetooth icon on the top right on the mac gets crossed out.

I know the bluetooth works so I dont have a switch problem since the switch turns the bluetooth on and off along with the blue/orage LED.

So far I have tried editing Info.plist and networkinterfaces.plist neither helped

Hope this gets worked out

Achilleus

Achilleus

• Donators
  • 125 posts
This isn't for bluetooth either lol, this is for 802.11g lol.

jmartin

jmartin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have the mini-pci 4311 in my acer 3680. I switched it out with the atheros based mini pci airport card in my mac, with no good results. I now ause a USB, insert sad mac face.

twobunnyrabbit

twobunnyrabbit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have an acer 5570z with Uphuck 1.4i r3. I swapped the original atheros AR5007EG with a broadcom 4311 (mini pci-e).
On boot up using the -v option, it displays an unable to resolve dependencies with the broadcom kext, therefore not able to load it. Manually loading the kext with kextload displays the same message. The card shows up ok with ioreg -l |grep pci14e4.

My conclusion is it may be a kernel related problem. Correct me if i'm wrong.

pop_eye

pop_eye

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Same system and wireless card replacement as twobunnyrabbit and same behaviour...kernel won't load...acer 5570z

To add to the topic...

When installing OS X 10.4.9 v1.3 uphuck with 4311 mini pci-e pin 30 tapped in the laptop won't load after first reboot and kernel panics.

Soon as remove the card out of lappie system boots smoothie and able to setup. If card is inserted after this it won't get recognized so I do the network.plist trick

which goes back to kernel panic. :D

It has to be something about sharing hardware resources since the Texas Instruments card bus controller is not detected either properly and think it shares same pci-e interface - something similar as in windows IRQ sharing...thing is phoenix BIOS is very limited for such changes on this laptop...

So I am not sure what needs to be done maybe a more accurate hardware allocation table ? Is this in the kernel ?

nirvanaguy19

nirvanaguy19

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
have the same issue with a compaq c500 and broadcom 4311

olinboy1

olinboy1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I just got a 4311 PCIe off of ebay to hopefully get my dv5220us to be free of wires... too bad I'm an idiot who didn't read that the PCIe versions don't work. Damn... The thread I took advice from must have been talking about a regular mini pci version.

Let me/us know if there is anything any of us with these PCIe cards can do to try and develop some support for these cards. I'm no coder, but I'd love to help in order to see some progress. Thanks!

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 (duh)
We really need gurus, were getting desprit (can't spell that word) and still we haven't seen anybody with enough expertise (no offence) to tell us what the f is going on and how to fix it. What do we have to do to get gurus around here?It also is unclear what the exact problem is, is it the mini pci-e port not being recognized or the mini pci-e port not getting power?

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
Can someone tell me where I can find the sources for NDISulator (AKA Project Evil)? I need them so I can work on porting it to OS X and get this darn network card working. It would be greatly appreciated.

twobunnyrabbit

twobunnyrabbit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
A quick google search yields the following info:
http://developer.ber...s/evil-sources/

HTH and good luck

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
Thank you very much. Ill let you guys know if I have any luck porting this.

Achilleus

Achilleus

• Donators
  • 125 posts
Awesome, thanks!

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
It didn't work out. I had more luck attempting to port ndiswrapper but that is too tied into the linux kernel to do much with. If somebody with better coding skills then me would kindly try to port either that would be nice. Sorry about that guys.I would like to add that I have gotten my mini pci express port using info from another post. Its listed and everything but the card refuses to work. Im downloading boot camp right now so I can dual boot with Ubuntu and then get my wireless card working there and seeing if getting power to it and then rebooting helps. I doubt it will but I will let you guys know ASAP. Again sorry that I couldn't port those apps there were so many errors that I would have been better off writing the thing from scratch and I don't have enough experience to do that. :(To get the mini pci-e port recognised I used PCIFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and I kept the 80211Family.kext from my Uphuck 1.3 install disc which I heard somewhere that it was from 10.4.5

Achilleus

Achilleus

• Donators
  • 125 posts
Damnit, boogersniffer! :happymac: :P :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy