147 posts in this topic

Because Dell is using them in their XPS systems and I have credit with Dell. ;)

Edit: I ordered one, fingers crossed.

Update us once you get it! Thanks for sharing :D

I have Leopard GM running on my ASUS P5E3 Deluxe everything working just need sound and second lan realtek 8110sc to work everything other then that works

I'd love to have the Asus P5E3 one day. How well is your P5E3 running? Can it sleep? Is it fast? I'm quite impressed everything but the second lan is and soundcard is working, the wireless-n works!?! good to know! Thanks for sharing your awesome rig in your signature as well :D

• 3 weeks later...

Putting this back to the top since the new Intel DX38BT came out. Anyone try it? Is it worth the hype? It's only 20 bucks more than the D975XBX2...

SigmaTel STAC9274D audio is the same as the D975XBX2 so that should work with a patch no problem. Intel 82566DC LAN isn't the same though.

• 3 weeks later...

isnt the x48 comin out soon? whats the difference between the x38 and x48?

i know the bad axe 2 works well for osx86 but it came out 2 yrs ago and is overpriced. when i build my hackintosh i dont wanna be stuck with old tech

bone trail (intel DX38BT) is a better buy than bad axe 2 for around the same price

i still haven't gone through the specs of X48 but i would stay from now with x38 chipset & MIGHT update my 680i to 780i soon.

anyway, the problems above worked already, check my signature for updates on which parts aren't working.

i still haven't gone through the specs of X48 but i would stay from now with x38 chipset & MIGHT update my 680i to 780i soon.

anyway, the problems above worked already, check my signature for updates on which parts aren't working.

I got a NV 780i a few days ago really good mobo for 3 way SLI

firstcolle: i'm currently run leo on a p5e ws pro. marvell lan is ok audio is ok with hdaudio fix.
How is this board running for you? Fast? Do you RAID?
Asus P5E can work with leopard?? mavarel lan and audio can work???
I believe the P5E3 is seen working with brazilmac leopard, i'll find that thread for you. (from my understanding, the P5E3 shares quite abit componenets and hardware).

Pretty much everything on my Maximus Formula works. I went with it over X48, because from my research, the X48 doesn't appear to offer all that much over the chipset. Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, etc have already updated their BIOS with support for 1600MHz Bus processors which seemed to be the big selling point for X48.

I have Kalyway installed. As long as I have Speedstep turned off in the BIOS, everything seems to be good.

I used the Azalia AD1988B for sound.

Marvell chipset is used on this board, and I just had to modify the Yukon2 kext to use the Device/Vendor ID for the 88E8056 chip. It only sees one port, the bottom one on the back of the board. Just had to swap the cable to get my network working.

I have 5 SATA drives installed, one 320GB on the 5th SATA port dedicated to Leopard. 6th SATA port is a Lite-On 20X SATA burner. Using EFI/GUID.

Edit: Just reinstalled and found out I never needed to edit the networking kext files. They appear to work out of the box to with Kalyway. Prior to figuring out the port selection problem, I had been editing kext files. So ignore my Yukon2 part of this post :(

I have the Maximus Formula board to. I used the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd to install it but couldnt for the life of me get it working on a GUID partition with EFI, installation kept failing, yes i had it set to AHCI and using SATA port 5 & have a SATA dvd drive.

As soon as i partitioned to MBR tried mbr_efi option on the kalyway dvd it all worked with no problems. Sound, Lan, Video all worked straight from the kaly dvd no other steps required.

I just wish i could get it working on a GUID partition.

I have the Maximus Formula board to. I used the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd to install it but couldnt for the life of me get it working on a GUID partition with EFI, installation kept failing, yes i had it set to AHCI and using SATA port 5 & have a SATA dvd drive.

As soon as i partitioned to MBR tried mbr_efi option on the kalyway dvd it all worked with no problems. Sound, Lan, Video all worked straight from the kaly dvd no other steps required.

I just wish i could get it working on a GUID partition.

What BIOS version do you run? I just did a reinstall and figured out the LAN bit... whoops. I run version 907. Maybe this is the difference?

I'm running BIOS 907. I just wish the bloody thing would work on GUID/EFI. Thanks for the help Marcaen

What port do you have your dvd drive in ?

I have a hard drive on each port from SATA 1 to 5, the 5th one being my OSX drive. I have the SATA DVD burner on SATA 6.