• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I saw a post, I think in this thread, about Windows users being stupid, and I would have to agree a vast majority are clueless.

Yep, I'd have to agree. Why else would they be using windows? :D :)

However I think it's important for us to distinguish the usual uneducated users who 'insist' on running windows, and those people who simply aren't aware of Apples OS. I find that this is usually older people. I sold two Mac minis to people like this because they simply wasn't aware of Tiger or Leopard, and when I explained the differences between windows and Macs they asked "why doesn't everyone use Macs"? I reminded them that 5 minutes ago they didn't know about Macs and they responded "Good point" :D So not everyone is computer savvy, and those people tend to use windows simply because they didn't know that they had a choice. Some people actually still believe the myth that Macs cost more. Education is the key.

the user had managed, by an assortment of adapters and dongles, to convert a USB port to a DB15 connector and had a monitor plugged in to it, and was wondering why he couldn't get video out of it :huh:

Now that's down right Darwin scary ;) :blink:

Davejb

Davejb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Some people actually still believe the myth that Macs cost more. Education is the key.

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world, people want to buy things on the cheap, and they can get a Dell or (it pains me to say it) an Emachine for under $300, use it for a year or 2, and toss it and buy a new one. Macs aren't cheap enough to be able to do this (or are they? I haven't seen one that low, I think $599 is the cheapest I've seen lately), but, baring any hardware issues, they are useable for a longer period. With Windows, the thing gets infected by god knows what, and with a $300 dollar PC, it's not much more $$ to go out and buy a new one rather than to pay shop labor rates to unscrew the old one.
I've been a Windows user (and tech) since Windows 3.1 was popular, but OSX is growing on me rapidly. I will never convert 100% because I'm a heavy gamer, so I'll always have a Windows box, plus I have o keep up on the latest OS from Microsoft to keep the paychecks coming in!

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Macs aren't cheap enough to be able to do this (or are they?)

599.00 is for a new mini, BUT you can get a good dependable used mini for around 300.00. I think you can even get a new Apple 3 year warranty on it if you want to, as long as it's not over 2 years old.

A Nonny Moose

A Nonny Moose

Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world, people want to buy things on the cheap, and they can get a Dell or (it pains me to say it) an Emachine for under $300, use it for a year or 2, and toss it and buy a new one. Macs aren't cheap enough to be able to do this (or are they? I haven't seen one that low, I think $599 is the cheapest I've seen lately), but, baring any hardware issues, they are useable for a longer period. With Windows, the thing gets infected by god knows what, and with a $300 dollar PC, it's not much more $$ to go out and buy a new one rather than to pay shop labor rates to unscrew the old one.

That is FUD and you know it...

Davejb

Davejb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
That thread is useless, what one person needs or wants to get with a computer has nothing to do with what another person wants or gets, many points in that thread are not applicable to everyone, and your going to apply it accross the board to everyone? Many times when people go out and buy a new PC, they already have all the software they need, so moot point there. Few people use bluetooth, unnecessary add on for many there, most home users don't need XP Pro, and the list goes on. Tacking on aditional, unneccessary upgrades that most home users don't need, just to make a Mac look comparable in price, that is an old tactic salesmen have been using for ages to sell any number of things. Adding an un named piece of software to the Dell because the Mac has some board games? Give me a break.

I'll agree that Macs come with a great software bundle and are definetly worth the money, but tacking items on to a PC to compare it, when most web surfing, emailing home users won't use hardly any of that software, isn't always a fair comparison. If the user needs all that software, I think it's a fair comparison, but not everyone does, so I don't think it can be applied accross the board.

And we're getting wayyyyyy off topic here

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
You missed the whole point of what they were trying to do...

They were trying to compare Apples with (dell)Apples. I think that's the whole point in trying to honestly compare something isn't it? :) Obviously if someone was going out to buy a new computer they would customize the package to fit their needs, but that has nothing to do with what they were proving in the comparison ;)

Davejb

Davejb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I got the point, but I don't think substituting un-named software for a game package that's on the Mac for the sake of bumping up the Dell's price is credible. It's obvious this comparison was done by someone trying to make the Mac look good. Maybe If I get bored I'll do one, I have no bias, I'm a fanboy of neither format, but I like both.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I got the point, but I don't think substituting un-named software for a game package that's on the Mac for the sake of bumping up the Dell's price is credible.

Then obviously you wouldn't buy that package, but someone else might...

Again, this comparison ISN'T a recommendation of what to buy, it's ONLY to show each platforms value.

It's obvious this comparison was done by someone trying to make the Mac look good.

I see no direct evidence of that. I've seen this comparison MANY times over the years with the same results each time.

strawnman

strawnman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Tempted by another OS, after 6 years committed to the Linux Community, I am now having an affair...
I am new to mac. I am a refugee from Linux, distro Xandros. Anyway, I have two g4's and now a g5 1.6 all running Tiger. I like to show you all something though. Don't be offended, but it seems that some borrowing has been going on at apple. Hee Hee. Anyway, I like OS X. I am a veteran of Linux and will continue to support Linux and even Xandros, but I think for getting simple work done, OS X is the way to go for now. Without further adu, here is the link that may open some peoples eyes. Take special note of the docking bar. The ideas were around for about 2.5 years now. i know they borrowed from apple the dock, but look at the similarity for what leopard will add and what is now a dying project:

http://www.sun.com/s..._glass/demo.xml

Eric

FearedBliss

FearedBliss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I am new to mac. I am a refugee from Linux, distro Xandros. Anyway, I have two g4's and now a g5 1.6 all running Tiger. I like to show you all something though. Don't be offended, but it seems that some borrowing has been going on at apple. Hee Hee. Anyway, I like OS X. I am a veteran of Linux and will continue to support Linux and even Xandros, but I think for getting simple work done, OS X is the way to go for now. Without further adu, here is the link that may open some peoples eyes. Take special note of the docking bar. The ideas were around for about 2.5 years now. i know they borrowed from apple the dock, but look at the similarity for what leopard will add and what is now a dying project:http://www.sun.com/s..._glass/demo.xmlEric

Oh wow, I'm definetly going to try out SunOS , I never tried SunOS cause I thought it was Solaris. I will research more on this though. Thanks.

Oh wow, I'm definetly going to try out SunOS , I never tried SunOS cause I thought it was Solaris. I will research more on this though. Thanks.

Looks like SunOS is now called Solaris :).

strawnman

strawnman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Tempted by another OS, after 6 years committed to the Linux Community, I am now having an affair...
There has been much debate as to what sun will really own after the SCO v. IBM, but no doubt Novell will have a heavier hand in the unix code then it played in the past. As for trying out Looking Glass, well it was a concept alpha that appears to have lost its steam. Sun is not an os, it is a company that makes various platforms, but specifically it engages in creating Server based OS's. Solaris is one of many the company has its fingers in. If you are looking for the cutting edge of 3d enhancements, peek at ubantu or pcos which are linux distros. The main thing to remember with Linux is that at every minute of the day, the code is being changed in any given distro, so there are dependency problems that may haunt you. OS X appears to be much more stable and provides for the single best reason to use it, "it ain't MS" Hee Hee. On the GUI side I am really liking the consistency of OS X.

Eric

chrisjasper

chrisjasper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I thought the answer to all that was 42? :ninja: :P

Wow, someone else who reads the classics

CLiDE FTW!!1

CLiDE FTW!!1

Lay off the pipe.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
It seems like the "poor performance" is related to all the bloat that'll be in Leopard.

I'll keep my Tiger with Liger theme, thanks.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

It seems like the "poor performance" is related to all the bloat

Bloat? What bloat? You must be thinking of windows because I've never seen OS X with any traditional bloat. If they have any issues it's probably just related to tweaking the code, which Apple is very good at :thumbsup_anim:

mnit

mnit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

It seems like the "poor performance" is related to all the bloat that'll be in Leopard.

Leopard is sharp like a dart, fastest OS I've ever used. Dropping back to Tiger after trying 9a466 was like diving into a pool of.. something dense.

Any current 'poor performance' is definately just as MyMac8MyPc says; code tweaking left to be done.

Colonel Ingus

Colonel Ingus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Leopard is sharp like a dart, fastest OS I've ever used. Dropping back to Tiger after trying 9a466 was like diving into a pool of.. something dense.

Any current 'poor performance' is definately just as MyMac8MyPc says; code tweaking left to be done.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh... don't let him know that :thumbsup_anim: Let CLiDE think whatever he wants. Leave the really cool OS's like Leopard for the rest of us to enjoy. If he doesn't want to use it then he is only shooting himself in the foot :D

:(

EFI

EFI

Photoshop CS3 Elite

• Retired
  • 629 posts

Bloat? in Leopard?

From all the responses that I've read so far from people who have tried out 9A527 both here and at MacRumors, Leopard seems to be monumentally faster than Tiger on the SAME hardware...especially in Spotlight searches I hear.

Davejb

Davejb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Bloat? in Leopard?

From all the responses that I've read so far from people who have tried out 9A527 both here and at MacRumors, Leopard seems to be monumentally faster than Tiger on the SAME hardware...especially in Spotlight searches I hear.

That's a novel idea, a new OS faster on your current hardware, Microsoft should have looked into this concept for Vista

chrisjasper

chrisjasper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

That's a novel idea, a new OS faster on your current hardware, Microsoft should have looked into this concept for Vista

Seconded, I bought a beautiful little HP laptop at a great price but the installed Vista OS really screws it up.
Dual core, 2gb ram should make anything run pretty well, you would think anyway....

ToA

ToA

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Mac os x is very sexy so far, not only that but im sure apple will release it at the right time because their smart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy