ALPS Glidepad beta driver

phb

196 posts in this topic

Well, imagine a line on the right side of the touchpad vertically and another on the bottom horizontally. When you hold your finger and drag either up/down for the right or right/left for the bottom, the pages scroll.

It's pretty intutive.

Ah, yes, that I know :P

I was more thinking if like

1) are you able to normal move the cursor there if you like, started the movement outside that area?

2) Is every event that *started* in that area to account as scrolling (even when you move outside that area)

2.:( If it's not to continue when you move outside, then what happens?

3) As I did it now using 'double-tap' is wrong.. I think i can figure that out from your comments ;D

*edit*

Do you guys want seperate options for horiz/vert scrolling? Should only one(two) sides of the pad be used, or all sides?

*/edit*

/Johan

Edited by phb

1) No - you actually have to tap down in the area.

2) No - scrolling only works in that area. When you move out, the mouse just functions normally. If you move out and move back in, scrolling doesn't work; 1) still applies.

3) Right.

I prefer to just have it on the right and bottom.

Another great feature is that tap can be turned off during typing.

Edited by keys88

i'm going to second everything keys88 pointed out, including the options to have tapping turned off during typing (if possible) and dedicated area in the right hand side for vertical scrolling and the bottom for horizontal scrolling.

It would also be nice to have the horizontal scrolling on the bottom optional.

Good luck implementing all this phb, you seem like whiz with the mouse driver work, and thanks again for all your hard work!

Most of the stuff will be easy, There is a opensource Apple driver that implements the "no tapping when typing" stuff.

What will be hard to do is the dynamic configuration. I have no idea how that works. I might try implement options inside the .plist, so you'll have to edit it by hand/restart driver to change values.

phb, I can at least speak for myself when I say I won't have any problem manually editing the plist file if you manage to put the options in there. I'm sure most of the users on this forum, if they've managed to get OS X on their machines, wouldn't have a difficult time doing that either.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nicer to have a "2 fingers" scrolling feature.

It means that when two fingers are detected on the touchpad it will start either vertical or horizontal scrolling. Regardless of where your figers are.

There is application "iScroll2" that do this job but it requite Apple Trackpad driver which seem not compatible with what we had.

hey phb, great work on the driver, i use mac more now when my laptop's on my lap!

just one question, when will the next release be out?

also, i would like a feature from real ibooks and powerbooks to be incorporated; on these computers, if you move accross the trachpad slowly, the mouse moves slowly, but if you move quickly, so does the cursor. This enables both accuracy and speed at the same time. I would love for this feature to be carried on into your great driver!

Edited by Urby3

Next release.. ugh, once I get my ass in motion and starts working on it ;P

Two finger scrolling will never be supported, that's a hardware feature.

No idea how to implement the slow->slow fast->fast stuff.Are you talking about normal mouse-acceleration?

Cheers

/Johan

phb, thanks for all your efforts on this man, it's really great.

As a side note, are you sure two-finger scrolling is a hardware feature? I thought there was software out there (FFScroll) that enabled 2 finger scrolling on ANY Apple laptop touchpad?

Thanks again, and happy holidays.

yeah suleiman, i heard about that too.

Oh and phb, that's what i meant: accelerations. No that it really matters, if all you added was the scrolling on the sides, i'd be happy.

oh wait...one last thing. Would it be possible to implement back and front movements, like in a web-browser? That way you don't have to scroll all the way to the back button to go back. I have this feature in windows and i love it! I don't know if it depends on the browser...does anyone know?

phb, thanks for all your efforts on this man, it's really great.

As a side note, are you sure two-finger scrolling is a hardware feature? I thought there was software out there (FFScroll) that enabled 2 finger scrolling on ANY Apple laptop touchpad?

Thanks again, and happy holidays.

and this you tell me NOW?!! :P

wtf ;P

I will definatly look into if it's possible to jack into their backend => Get all their feats =)

/Johan

lol..well I'm still not one hundred percent sure about it, but I think that's what it does. Let me know if you have any luck, FFScroll is Open Source as far as I know, but it hasn't been compiled working for x86 yet.

phb, while we've got you around you've gotta tell me why this won't install on 10.4.3 for me! I've tried running the script and putting your file in the PlugIns directory in ApplePS2Controller.kext, then setting the right permissions for the kext and loading it, but nothing seems to be working man!

It's frustrating because I had it working fine in 10.4.1, but for whatever reason it's refusing to work now. No matter what method I use, the error that I always get is "ApplePS2Trackpad is not a directory" whenever the kext tries to load.

Any clues what's going on?

EDIT: Nevermind, somehow miraculously it just decided to work. :) I'm still looking forward to the next release though! :star_smile:

Edited by suleiman

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

a short status update:

* I've managed to combine FFScroll and ALPS, and it works really good!

* However, I havn't been able to get the Driver <-> Preference pane working well.

I'm really a newbie in Obj-c and cocoa/prefpanes. Trying to learn the basics of that stuff now, however, if someone feel they are able to help me in these areas, please let me know!

/Johan

**Edit*

ohyeah, before you guys ask me to release the FFScroll variant without the config support, it's pretty unusable, as the driver has WAAY to low settings for "Scroll", so by barly touching the touchpad, it goes into scroll mode.

**/Edit**

Edited by phb

It's pretty sweet. Seems most of the preference pane issues acctually is FFScroll "bugs" (or missing features). I'm having a rather random kernel crash when doing twofinger scroll tho (yep, it's working and it's sweet!).

As the FFScroll code is the most horrid thing on earth (well, maybe not. but .. well :D ), it's not that easy to track it down :)

Hopefully i'll get a release out before sunday, i'm going skiing then, and won't have internet.

cool cool, I just figured out how to get QE and CI working through my S-Video adapter today too...so if we can get this ALPS trackpad working with 2 finger scrolling then my mactel is a 99% compatible (don't have working ethernet...but I don't use it) machine :)

All I gotta say is go osx86project :-D