ALPS Glidepad beta driver

phb

196 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Patched the apple driver so it now supports the ALPS touchpad that many people reported issues with tapping not working (The one with the outcommented device ID in the ApplePS2ALPSGlidepoint.cpp

*update #1*

Updated information at

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=5419&st=0# (post #5)

*update #2*

There is a version compiled for 10.4.1 a few posts down.

*update #3*

Edgescrolling is *NOT* working (..the way it's supposed too). Working on a fix when time permits.

*update #4*

Just skip this and scroll to the last page, thread still small enuf for that :)

Edited by phb

omg it works! Tapping is so hard to get used to again after a long time without it!

But it is sweet :star_smile:

The only thing I wanna see now is the chance to get scrolling setup over here. Then my mouse is as functional as it is in windows. But great effort...this is sweeeeeeeeet :star_smile:

edit: on second glance here it seems that the tapping is inconsistent at times. Somtimes it picks up the tap and sometimes it doesn't. I also don't get any tapping features in the Mouse/Keyboard settings in System Panel.

But still cool.

Edited by suleiman

Glad it works! =)

I'm going to try to make it a bit more solid, and hopefully add support for scrolling aswell. I'm looking into the configuration issue, What are you suppose to be able to configure?

-------------

Edit.

Hm, If you mean that the properties for "trackpad" doesn't do anything. I'm aware. Just fixed so you can disable tapping if you want that, also looking into how to disable the unsupported options.

* Havn't been able to reproduce the tapping problems tho, can you tell me more how to reproduce that?

Cheers

/Johan

PS. This is compiled on 8f1099, anyone wants it for 10.4.1 or something, send me a mess and i'll send the source.. (It'll be public once I clean it up a bit more, kinda fugly right now)

Edited by phb

Ok. I have a new version ready:

Major Features:

*) Enable or disable tapping from normal trackpad system configuration

*) "Edgescrolling" (You enable/Disable this using the "Dragging" box.

"tap" - Dragging can only be disabled by disabling tapping..

Minor features:

* Bugs fixed, debug output removed.

It's not a bug, it's a feature

(Or is it?)

* DragLock does not work.. I have no idea how this is supposed to work.. someone tell me and i'll fix it

* You can't set sensitivity on the edgescrolling, I used some values that was good for me.

*The speed of the mouse is really fast when you unload/reload the kext, if you however change the slider in the preferences, you can set the speed better. I have no idea why this happens, anyone know?

Installation

download the tar.gz, extract it with stuffit or similar.

in a terminal, go to the directory where you extracted it.

# sudo ./install.sh

it will autoload and start working directly (and after reboot ofcaurse)

Cheers guys, feedback is always welcome

/Johan Björk

ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.tar.gz

quick question phb, i'm using the old version on 10.4.1 and it was working fine with the tapping, which didn't work for me bofore. But are you saying this is only for 10.4.3?

I think I was saying I compiled it on 10.4.3 .

I did so on the old version aswell, so if it worked for you then, it should work for you now also.

Goodluck

/Johan

hmmmm yeah, this is making sense to me, because when i boot with the -v option, it actually says that the kext had a link load error in the trackpad plugin. But tapping works! So i'm happy for now, and I'll try this out later when i upgrade to 10.4.3 as soon as wireless works on it. :)

Thanks again Johan!

got Output below:

$sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext appears to be valid

22ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint is not compatible with its superclass, 12IOHIPointing superclass changed?

here's the error i get johan:

user-578ad1:/system/library/extensions suleiman$ sudo kextload appleps2controller.kext/contents/plugins/appleps2trackpad.kext

Password:

22ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint is not compatible with its superclass, 12IOHIPointing superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension appleps2controller.kext/contents/plugins/appleps2trackpad.kext

load failed for extension appleps2controller.kext/contents/plugins/appleps2trackpad.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

It's definatly a issue with it being compiled on 10.4.3 .

I'm attaching the source, if someone can compile it on 10.4.1 and post the binary here i'd be great

Simply open it up in XCode, compile it, then package it from a terminal,

# ./build/Deployment/

# tar -cvf ../release-10.4.1.tar *

# gzip ../release-10.4.1.tar

and post the gzipped file here

Cheers

/Johan

I'm attaching the source, if someone can compile it on 10.4.1 and post the binary here i'd be great

# ./build/Deployment/

Cheers

/Johan

# ./build/Deployment/

Cheers

/Johan

ApplePS2Trackpad_johan_hacked.tar.gz

Durning build,got 2 warnings:

ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint.cpp:187: control may reach end of non-void function 'static void (* OSMetaClassBase::_ptmf2ptf(const OSMetaClassBase*, void (OSMetaClassBase::*)()))()' being inlined

ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad.cpp:201: control may reach end of non-void function 'static void (* OSMetaClassBase::_ptmf2ptf(const OSMetaClassBase*, void (OSMetaClassBase::*)()))()' being inlined

Hi,

as *book's doesn't use "edge" scrolling but two-finger-scrolling, and I don't know how to get custom options in the preference panel, I set edge scrolling as "Dragging".

so:

activate the "Dragging" option in the panel, and you're (supposed to :) ) get edge scrolling

Thanks alot for compiling it for 10.4.1!

/Johan

Is it possible to build this with edge scrolling, but without tapping? I have a synaptic touchpad, and this works great for me. But it's not showing up in the system preferences as a touchpad, so I can't turn off tapping.

Since I have xcode, the advantage of the only copy of the os anyone has being for dev's, I could build it myself if I had instructions.

So if someone could tell me how to disable it myself, I'd give my own build a shot.

Thanks

This driver is really for ALPS, you are actually just running the straight PS2 Mouse driver and not the PS2 Trackpad Kext, as such you are using the Synaptic Trackpad in default mode with all features enabled, ie. Touch Buttons and Edge Scrolling. I myself like all the features enabled, so I removed the ps2trackpad.kext from the Plugins folder for ps2 kext. The downside is that you have to adjust the 'Mouse settings' which will affect all buetooth and usb mice as well, and you will not have independent controls.

Edited by docangle

So you're saying that it's the default ps2 mouse driver that's enabled edgemotion? Hmm... learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info, I'll probably put the default trackpad kext back then, or mess with it to try to enable edgemotion.

phb, I just got a break for the weekend and thought I'd try the 10.4.1 version of this wonderful little kext you've put together for us. It works! I get much more accurate tapping now, and I should now be able to bring my battered left mouse button some relief!

As a side note, edge scrolling sadly does not work, but I'm still very happy with what I have!

Edit: okay, I figured out how to get edge scrolling to work. You need to tap on the far right-hand side of the touchpad. Unfortunately this is not as robust as having a half-inch section of the touchpad reserved specifically for scrolling, and works only on occassion. But it's cool to have it at all of course ;)

Edited by suleiman