ALPS Glidepad beta driver

phb

196 posts in this topic

phb, after much testing I've decided to revert back to the older version of this driver. The touchpad too often "mistakes" my input to be a scrolling command, even when I've only got one finger on the pad. It also doesn't seem to want to scroll at all when i've got both fingers on the pad, the trackpad just won't move at all or will follow regular mouse movement.

Thanks for the great work, I'm looking forward to the next release on this.

phb, after much testing I've decided to revert back to the older version of this driver. The touchpad too often "mistakes" my input to be a scrolling command, even when I've only got one finger on the pad. It also doesn't seem to want to scroll at all when i've got both fingers on the pad, the trackpad just won't move at all or will follow regular mouse movement.

Thanks for the great work, I'm looking forward to the next release on this.

You can change the sensitivity. However, the controlpanel seem to be totaly stoned. (Someone used this on Mac's????), so you'll have to change it manually

look in

/Users/youruser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SOMETHINGALPS.plist . Acctually. open it in a plist editor. Then change sensitivity.

It'll work much better. I'm acctually using twofinger scrolling all the time on my laptop currently :D

/Johan

Thanks for the hard work on this!

I tried your latest build and unfortunately got this:

Set Timeout Starting

Set Timeout to loop Failed 0

Set Timeout to loop Ending

Click Timer Starting

Add Click Timer to Work loop Failed

ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.50

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad is loaded, but it doesn't respond to any trackpad input at all. Can you provide any input on where I should look to troubleshoot this??

Thanks!

op

Thanks for the good report :P

I've seen this problem once on my comp. However, it never came back. (Very interesting, the functions that return error is documented on apples site as "always return success" ;D )

Try to update your kext cache, and reboot your computer.

Are there still problems?

Cheers

/Johan

Thanks for the good report :)

I've seen this problem once on my comp. However, it never came back. (Very interesting, the functions that return error is documented on apples site as "always return success" ;D )

Try to update your kext cache, and reboot your computer.

Are there still problems?

Cheers

/Johan

I removed kextcache and forced a re-cache with -f at boot. Still get this:

Set Timeout Starting

Click Timer Starting

for what its worth, none of your builds have worked with my Alps Glidepoint on a Dell Lat D600. All of them enable the Trackpad menu in System Preferences, but all have no response to pad input. This newest version is the only one to show the loop errors. Also the PSTrackpad.kext in Maxxuss' PS2Controller.kext works fine with my trackpad, but I have no Sys Pref menu with his. Strange, huh?

op

I removed kextcache and forced a re-cache with -f at boot. Still get this:

Set Timeout Starting

Click Timer Starting

for what its worth, none of your builds have worked with my Alps Glidepoint on a Dell Lat D600. All of them enable the Trackpad menu in System Preferences, but all have no response to pad input. This newest version is the only one to show the loop errors. Also the PSTrackpad.kext in Maxxuss' PS2Controller.kext works fine with my trackpad, but I have no Sys Pref menu with his. Strange, huh?

op

Not very strange. the ApplePS2Trackpad distributed in Darwin is totaly diffrent. My driver is rewritten so it's using absolutemode. What is the device id of your trackpad?

Not very strange. the ApplePS2Trackpad distributed in Darwin is totaly diffrent. My driver is rewritten so it's using absolutemode. What is the device id of your trackpad?

Thats a good question. With your latest Trackpad kext installed, ioreg reports this:

| | +-o ApplePS2MouseDevice <class ApplePS2MouseDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 7>

| | | {

| | | }

| | |

| | +-o ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint <class ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain count 9>

| | | {

| | | "JitterNoClick" = 0

| | | "HIDPointerConvertAbsolute" = <00>

| | | "IOClass" = "ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint"

| | | "TrackpadScroll" = 0

| | | "TrackpadHorizScroll" = 0

| | | "USBMouseStopsTrackpad" = 0

| | | "Dragging" = 0

| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad"

| | | "IOProbeScore" = 1000

| | | "HIDPointerResolution" = <00006400>

| | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | | "Use Panther Settings for W" = 0

| | | "HIDPointerContactToMove" = <00>

| | | "HIDPointerAccelerationSettings" = (<00000000>,<00002000>,<00005000>,<00008000>,<0000b000>,<0000e000>,<00010000>)

| | | "PalmNoAction Permanent" = 0

| | | "JitterNoMove" = 0

| | | "HIDScrollAccelerationType" = "HIDMouseScrollAcceleration"

| | | "HIDSubinterfaceID" = 2

| | | "IOProviderClass" = "ApplePS2MouseDevice"

| | | "Clicking" = 1

| | | "DragLock" = 0

| | | "Trackpad Jitter Milliseconds" = 192

| | | "PalmNoAction When Typing" = 0

| | | "TwofingerNoAction" = 0

| | | "HIDKind" = 2

| | | "HIDVirtualDevice" = No

| | | "HIDPointerAccelerationType" = "HIDTrackpadAcceleration"

| | | "OutsidezoneNoAction When Typing" = 0

| | | "HIDInterfaceID" = 5

| | | "HIDPointerButtonCount" = 2

| | | }

Nothing in the output resembles a device ID to me. Perhaps the IOProbeScore?

Another interesting thing, when using the old Darwin PS2Trackpad.kext, it loads com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad at boot, but then eventually fails and disappears from kextstat. I'm thoroughly confused... :D

op

We figured why the driver ain't working on ohpossum's laptop.(thanks!) It has a combo trackpad and pointingstick. I skipped that code that supports that when doing the ALPS driver.

I'm gonna try to fix that. Til then. If you have

Glidepad+pointingstick => No workie.

/Johan

ugh. well, then I have no idea why it ain't working on his. Gotta do some more debugging there then..

Anyway, if anyone wanna help me test the Synaptics support, hit me on IRC and I'm all ready for a debug session :gathering: (Wrote the code just a few minutes ago, anxious to try it out! ;) )

ugh. well, then I have no idea why it ain't working on his. Gotta do some more debugging there then..

Anyway, if anyone wanna help me test the Synaptics support, hit me on IRC and I'm all ready for a debug session ;) (Wrote the code just a few minutes ago, anxious to try it out! :) )

Some interesting results:

After hearing suleiman had a pointerstick and a trackpad, I took my keyboard out of the laptop to find the ribbon cable to my pointerstick had broken. I never used the pointer, so I never noticed.

I yanked a keyboard from another laptop at work and with it in place, the Darwin trackpad kext behaves differently. Without the pointer, the kext would't load at all. With the pointer, dmesg shows: "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.34". With the pointer I have a Trackpad sys-pref menu where I can change mouse-speed, and enable/disable tapping.

Now then, after loading phb's latext kext (the FFScroll core one), without the ponter, would show "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.50" at boot. With the pointer, it shows "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.34" at boot. Unfortunately, neither try worked. Both times the touchpad was unresponsive.

I'm guessing I luckily happened to grab a keyboard with a different model of GlidePoint that the Darwin kext can deal with..

phb, if you're up for some debugging I can meet you on irc....

op

After more then 5hours debugging with KanadaKid on IRC(Thanks!!!), I am proud to announce a first beta release.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~jobjo/ffscroll_ps2_20060207.tar.gz

Warning tho,

This one has no installer script (or uninstall), it's default config probably is rather crappy. It's not tested very much on synaptics touchpads.

or,as some people say it, It's BETA QUALITY!

Some interesting results:

After hearing suleiman had a pointerstick and a trackpad, I took my keyboard out of the laptop to find the ribbon cable to my pointerstick had broken. I never used the pointer, so I never noticed.

I yanked a keyboard from another laptop at work and with it in place, the Darwin trackpad kext behaves differently. Without the pointer, the kext would't load at all. With the pointer, dmesg shows: "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.34". With the pointer I have a Trackpad sys-pref menu where I can change mouse-speed, and enable/disable tapping.

Now then, after loading phb's latext kext (the FFScroll core one), without the ponter, would show "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.50" at boot. With the pointer, it shows "ApplePS2Trackpad: ALPS GlidePoint v4.34" at boot. Unfortunately, neither try worked. Both times the touchpad was unresponsive.

I'm guessing I luckily happened to grab a keyboard with a different model of GlidePoint that the Darwin kext can deal with..

phb, if you're up for some debugging I can meet you on irc....

op

Thanks for the information, i'll look into it.

First release candidate!

README for release:

The preferencepanel is not working very well.

-The biggest things i've noticed are:

- Calibrate does not work. it'll hang the prefpanel if you try

- You can't change the 2F scroll "Filtering" Settings. (The other settings on that pane work tho)

- Hotspots does not work. I think? Feel free to test this more!

If you feel the default settings are wrong, and you're not able to change that value from the preferencepanel. Use the plist editor and open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist .

Changes:

- Lots of changes to allow the driver to work with Synaptics touchpads

- Better default configuration. Dynamically detects ALPS/Synaptics and chooses the correct default configuration.

- Removed a memoryleak

TODO before a final release

- Installer application

- Both-click (Clicking both left and right mousebutton to emulate a third mousebutton)

- Wider testbase

- Get it working on ohpossum's laptop.

What I want TESTED (Remember, it's a beta!)

- Hotspots

- Default parameters, two finger scrolling.

- More detailed info what's broken in the pref panel. What settings that's missing from there.

- As much details as possible if it ain't working. Download the debug kext and send me /var/log/system.log is a good way, along with a description on what's happening.

Many thanks to KanadaKid for helping me with the Synaptics support!

Download:

Full install:

http://www.nada.kth.se/~jobjo/FFScrollPS2-0.1.RC1.tar.gz

Only DEBUG kext (VERY VERBOSE!) (Requires above package aswell)

http://www.nada.kth.se/~jobjo/FFScrollPS2-...xt-DEBUG.tar.gz

Installation:

As root, extract the archive in /

that is

# sudo -s

#input password

Remove old install

rm /Users/<YOUR_USER>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist (only if you had one of the early FFScroll betas installed)

# tar -xvzf /path/to/the/FFScrollPS2-0.1.RC1.tar.gz

reboot!

Goodluck guys

/Johan

sorry for this double post, but phb i don't understand how to install it. You give uninstall instructions, but i have no idea what to do.

Could you please help me?

Could ANYONE help me? I really wanna install this driver!

EDIT:

Well i finally understood and got it to install, but nothing has changed from before...

i have ffscroll in the preferences, but it wont launch at all.

Scrolling is as broken as it was before, too.

i thought this version worked better!

What issue? Not able to install ,or scrolling?

Two finger scrolling or "side scrolling" (not working, and really, I havn't been motivated to fix it, twofinger scrolling works so much sweeter)

obviously things can get better, I am really busy tho, and I don't see it looking better in the near future. So, try to stick with this one a while more.

install works: scrolling doesn't. Two finger scrolling doesnt work at all. Not even a little. In fact, i cant even go to the ffscroll prefs: it stays at "loading".

side scrolling also doesn't work: i have to double click and hold on the far right side on the pad and then it still only goes all the way up or all the way down: so that's not working either.

install works: scrolling doesn't. Two finger scrolling doesnt work at all. Not even a little. In fact, i cant even go to the ffscroll prefs: it stays at "loading".

side scrolling also doesn't work: i have to double click and hold on the far right side on the pad and then it still only goes all the way up or all the way down: so that's not working either.

Same here tapping works but thats all. The Pref panel does not load

By the way are you about to build a 10.4.4 package? would be nice :pirate2:

phb, I just installed the release candidate of your excellent drivers. I must say, I'm closer to two finger scrolling than I've ever been before, but there's still a few kinks.

Unlike Urby I can load the FFScroll preference pane, but when I have two-finger scrolling enabled, it doesn't work with two fingers to scroll...but if I try and use my thumb (i'm guessing cause it's roughly the width of two fingers) then I can scroll, albeit haphazardly.

No rush to do anything man, take your sweet time, but I thought I'd give you my two bits before you set off on your tasks :angel:

Suleiman, the configuration pane (as mentioned) is rather icky.

What I recommend is to use the "plist editor" to open the file "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist" (I think that's the file, it can be something similar aswell). Look at the values for 2FS, tweak em til you can comfortably twofingerscroll.

Ohyeah, you won't see any diff changing those values, unless you run "FFScrollDeamon -r" (as in reload) (not documented anywhere, just a small hack)

COME ON PHB FIX IT FIX IT WOOOHH!!!!!!!

YEAH MAN LETS GO FIX THIS PROBLEM SO I CAN TAP AND SCROLL ALL I WANT YEAH!!!!

Urby3, show some respect please. You haven't shown any sign of appreciation in any of your posts.

phb has put a lot of time and effort into this - if you're not happy with the current driver then code your own hacks. He's doing it for free with his valuable time.

Keep your comments to yourself, they are not welcome here.

phb, your efforts are much appreciated, and I'm sure there are many others here who agree with me, please don't let it put you off.