Broadcom 570x and 575x

ohpossum

936 posts in this topic

:)

For #1 – find latest Chu-Chan's IOPCIFamily kexts.

If you don't install Sigmatel kexts – sleep worked beautifully and vice versa. So #2 for me – just disabled sleep.

Thanks for the tip. for #2, i have sigmatel kext installed so i guess im out of luck. I disable sleep, and use insomniax, but still fromtime to time, it still goes to sleep, doesnt make sense.

Anyway, i was wondering since your such an expert with ethernet on mac's, can you help me get the following working for a Dell Desktop.

Its a dell precision 390.

BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a] rev 02

Let me know if you can help, or create the file i need to get it working. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. for #2, i have sigmatel kext installed so i guess im out of luck. I disable sleep, and use insomniax, but still fromtime to time, it still goes to sleep, doesnt make sense.

You're welcome!

I use a stock power management bundle. With it i don't have a battery meter in menu bar (it's absolutely unimportant for me), but i can set my laptop as "always on", so it don't sleep ever.

;)

Anyway, i was wondering since your such an expert with ethernet on mac's, can you help me get the following working for a Dell Desktop.

You such a flatterer!

(Joking)...

Actually - i'm not an expert. Just an experienced user. :D

Its a dell precision 390.

BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a] rev 02

Let me know if you can help, or create the file i need to get it working. Thanks!

Will try as soon as I get home.

I'll let You know when it's done.

You're welcome!

I use a stock power management bundle. With it i don't have a battery meter in menu bar (it's absolutely unimportant for me), but i can set my laptop as "always on", so it don't sleep ever.

;)

You such a flatterer!

(Joking)...

Actually - i'm not an expert. Just an experienced user. :D

Will try as soon as I get home.

I'll let You know when it's done.

thank you appreciate your help!

The problem with the driver dying after limited use (at least for my 5754) is that the wrong receive ring size is being selected.

The driver has several ways of identifying the hardware in question and making decisions about it.

The previous posts talked about editing the check against the PCI device ID. These have the form:

"movw PCI device ID, %..." (the PCI device ID being at object offset 0x03ba)

"cmpw $specific ID,%..."

Many of the checks, though, are against the ASIC version of the chip. These have the form:

"movw chip rev,%..." (the chip rev being at object offset 0x03c0)

"shrw $0x0c,%..."

"cmpw $specific ASIC rev,%..."

In BCM5701Enet::getAdapterInfo (__ZN11BCM5701Enet14getAdapterInfoEv), in particular, there is this sequence:

cmpw $0x08,%ax

jne L1

L2: movl $0x00010000,mbuf pool addr

movl $0x0000e000,mbuf pool size

movl $0x00000200,rx ring size

I was able to get my 5754 working by changing the "jne L1" into a "jmp L2", which selects the right sizes for a 5705 plus class device (which is pretty much all except the 5700-5704 models).

Hi Loepere, sorry I'm an idiot on hex editing..... Would you tell me which offset and value to edit?

(eg. address 376C0: replace "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59")

Thanks alot in advance~~ ;)

Attached kext for You.

Use steps described by me above to install. And don't forget to refresh your kext cache!

Good luck!

NB! for the others: this was made specifically for BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a].

Thank you for your quick work on this driver. Unfortunately it doesnt work.

I did a dmesg, and here is what i got in reference to that specific kext.

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 6400000a 669955aa CheckNVRam -- nvram does not start with magic constant

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 getAdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

IOCommandGate::disable() called when not gated

Backtrace 0x41f68e 0x5aaf064a 0x3eb71c 0x3eb7e9 0x419c27 0x419c5e 0x41732e

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x5aaef000->0x5ab03fffAppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x545d2000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.6.0)@0x5aabc000

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x5aaef000->0x5ab03fff

Hope that helps in troubleshooting this issue.

But on a brighter note, thanks to your info my PCCARD slot now works!!!

Thank you for your quick work on this driver. Unfortunately it doesnt work.

I did a dmesg, and here is what i got in reference to that specific kext.

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 6400000a 669955aa CheckNVRam -- nvram does not start with magic constant

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 getAdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed

AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 0 0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x5aaef000->0x5ab03fffAppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled

com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5751Ethernet(2.1.0d21)@0x5aaef000->0x5ab03fff

Hope that helps in troubleshooting this issue.

But on a brighter note, thanks to your info my PCCARD slot now works!!!

OK.

We must disable/bypass tha call to NVRam for adapter info.

But this will cause that Your MAC address will not be correctly read from adapter info. And You must set it manually, if this will be the only issue. :huh:

If You are familiar with HEX editing software, You can bypass tha call to NVRam it for youserlf.

You need to find address 37554-37555 (75 71) and change it to "EB 71" in kext binary (AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet), then save it and then – put the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext back to IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder.

I will do this later, if You are not sure You can make it...

And of course – no warranties at all.

;)

OK.

But this will cause that Your MAC address will not be correctly read from adapter info. And You must set it manually, if this will be the only issue. :censored2:

If You are familiar with HEX editing software, You can bypass tha call to NVRam it for youserlf.

You need to find address 37554-37555 (75 71) and change it to "EB 71" in kext binary (AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet), then save it and then – put the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext back to IONetworkingFamily.kext Plugins folder.

:unsure:

Hey i downloaded hexedit, and did it myself. So now it knows that i have an ethernet connection, i jus thave to manually set the IP Address, which isnt a big deal, and i ASSUME there is no way to fix this. BUt anyway i did run into a problem, if i dont boot osx86 with the -f flag, i will get the system extension cannot be used error. i have ran my repairs and everything, again not a BIG deal, but would like to know if i can fix wihtout having to remmeber to boot with the -f flag. Thanks!

also... i know i ask alot of questions, but you are very good at what you do.

For my d620, the pointing stick and trackpad work, but the trackpad doesn't have two finger support. I have tried the latest dell post installation package... and the trackpad DOES work with two finger support, but then my pointing stick doesnt work, and i seemed to have lost my battery meter and sound. SO i had to revert to the backup kext file to fix it all. just wondering if you have both the pointing stick and trackpad working PROPERLY, and if so how. Thanks buddy! You are an asset to these boards!

I finally got Ethernet (BCM5752) working on my D820 thanks to AA.

I had to manually add the Kext to IONetworkingFamily and boot with -F, but it is getting an IP using DHCP.

Just waiting to get my DW 1490 in the mail and I should be good to go.

EDIT - I keep getting an error after reboot saying it can't be used. The only work around I have so far is adding the -f command to the boot.plist. Anyone have any ideas? I had this working before, and then I had to reinstall everything. Never had a problem before.

;)

OK. Let's see...

When downloaded this .zip with kext – You need to extract it to some folder. Lets say – folder named Net on Desktop.

1. Double check if you have any kexsts named AppleBCM5751Ethernet in "/System/Library/Extensions". Delete if found any.

2. Open terminal. Enter following command (each line ends with pressing "Enter"):

sudo -s

<Your root password>

cp -r -v ~Desktop/Net/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext /S*/L*/E*/IONet*/C*/Plug*/

rm -f /S*/L*/Extensions.mkext

3. Open "Disk Utility" from Utilities, choose system drive and press "Repair permissions"

When all is done – may reboot.

That's all. If nothing's happen – provide Your "gmesg" output.

One more thing: this file suits and reported working ONLY for BCM5752 14e4:1600. But steps to install - are common.

Good luck

Thanks A.A.... Works for my Latitude D620 laptop.... its automatically detected as en0 eventhough before this en0 was my usb wireless stick... but i sense its little bit slower when browsing compare when i use usb stick... but who cares..? as long as its functioning.....

Thank a lot...

how about BCM5752M ??? I can't install it :( Can you help me ?

My Info :

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1601] (rev 02)

What kind of computer do you have. the 5752 is what I have, and using AA's instructions and kext, I got it working. Although, I have to have the caches rebuilt each boot.

OK.

But this will cause that Your MAC address will not be correctly read from adapter info. And You must set it manually, if this will be the only issue. ;)

;)

I tried with hexedit myself but couldn't find 75 71 at the 37554- address... :( it only had 00 01

I did search and there was one spot where there is 75 71 so I edited that and funnily now the os x hangs :D

if you would be kind and post a pre-modified binary it would be great.

I tried with hexedit myself but couldn't find 75 71 at the 37554- address... :( it only had 00 01

I did search and there was one spot where there is 75 71 so I edited that and funnily now the os x hangs :D

if you would be kind and post a pre-modified binary it would be great.

In HexEdit options, don't use Decimal Adress

Need help with my BroadCom 5754. I followed the steps of А.Д. but, i don't get connection on my mac. And after reboot, i just get a msg telling this: appleBCM5754Ethernet.kext is Unable to install cuz was installed improperly.. blah blah..

Please, i need help, if someone knows how to install it.. just post it...

Thanks!

Need help with my BroadCom 5754. I followed the steps of А.Д. but, i don't get connection on my mac. And after reboot, i just get a msg telling this: appleBCM5754Ethernet.kext is Unable to install cuz was installed improperly.. blah blah..

Please, i need help, if someone knows how to install it.. just post it...

Thanks!

Hey ..I think you haven't properly set the driver up, you need to verify the permission .. have you done that ? and the best way to it .is the disk utilities .. not even 3rd party software ...

maybe you want to look on that first ... before you try other solution .

1, verify the permission and see if it work , if not ..then

2, re-do the procedure again, and then verify the permission

have fun ..

EE

Guys,

I have been "fighting" with the Broadcom 5751 driver on my Dell Latitude D410 in the last three/four weeks (On and Off) I installed Kylaway 10.5.2 and the Mac OS can detected my Broadcom 5751 with active connection; however, the MAC Address is a bunch of zeros. I have switched to Manual IP Address and still couldn't get out because my DLink DIR-655 didn't seem to like the Zeros MAC address. The sytem also hang when I tried to enter the MAC using IFCONFIG to add my Mac Addresses

Any idea?

BTW, I found a very sweet "work around" with the $3.99 AirLink101 USB to Ethernet Adapter. I just bought the AirLink USB to Ethernet Adapter this afternoon at my local Fry's Electronics store on Brokaw Road in San Jose, CA. It worked with my Dell Latitude D410/Kalyway 10.5.2 right out of the box no MAC address zero, no driver to mess with. All that for $3.99 (regular price is $14.99 OR HALF of Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter or Wii USB to Ethernet Adapter) This AirLink101 USB to Ethernet Adapter has the newer AX88772 Chip with USB 2.0 interface so it fairly fast. IF you don't want to mess around with the Broadcom driver then this is the way to go for $3.99. IF you don't have local Fry's then try fry.com. They may have it on-line

Guys,

I have been "fighting" with the Broadcom 5751 driver on my Dell Latitude D410 in the last three/four weeks (On and Off) I installed Kylaway 10.5.2 and the Mac OS can detected my Broadcom 5751 with active connection; however, the MAC Address is a bunch of zeros. I have switched to Manual IP Address and still couldn't get out because my DLink DIR-655 didn't seem to like the Zeros MAC address. The sytem also hang when I tried to enter the MAC using IFCONFIG to add my Mac Addresses

Any idea?

BTW, I found a very sweet "work around" with the $3.99 AirLink101 USB to Ethernet Adapter. I just bought the AirLink USB to Ethernet Adapter this afternoon at my local Fry's Electronics store on Brokaw Road in San Jose, CA. It worked with my Dell Latitude D410/Kalyway 10.5.2 right out of the box no MAC address zero, no driver to mess with. All that for $3.99 (regular price is $14.99 OR HALF of Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter or Wii USB to Ethernet Adapter) This AirLink101 USB to Ethernet Adapter has the newer AX88772 Chip with USB 2.0 interface so it fairly fast. IF you don't want to mess around with the Broadcom driver then this is the way to go for $3.99. IF you don't have local Fry's then try fry.com. They may have it on-line

Hey, do you actaully set your DNS? GATEWAY ?

if you have them set up correctly, I will say that you don't actually need to give an "egg" to what does DLINK like and what it does not.

by the way ..DLINK is the worst router on the market you can find ..not particular to anybody has this brand, so don't be upset if you have one of them

Don't need to.

Just install attached package. And then, go to Terminal and enter "lspci -nn" w/o quotes.

:(

You'll see something like this:

9:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1600] (rev 02)

In my case – all we need is [14e4:1600]

Thanks so much. After having the DELL D820 for two years now I have Ethernet, and CPUs=2 now with XNU kernel. No more shuttering. USB still a bit of a problem looking into it.

I have to have the USB device in the USB slot and reboot so it will see the device.

@ oSxFr33k,

About the USB problem you're having, click on this link to fix it: Solving USB Problems

Most of the time this is caused from having different versions of kernel (mach_kernel) and system.kext. Usually having a 9.2.0 kernel and version 9.2.2 of the system.kext

In the thread you'll find the link to the usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip installer file to fix it... it worked wonders for me!

Hope it helps

iSaint

So, here it is: 0x14e4:0x1673

How to install:

- remove all occurrences of AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext from both /System/Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

- extract attached .zip anywhere (let's say - to the Desktop) and make sure this is the only file, starting with the "AppleB"

- in terminal:

sudo -s

<root password>

cp -r -v ~Desktop/AppleB* /S*/L*/E*/IONet*/C*/Plug*/

rm -v /S*/L*/E*.mke*

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

Then boot with the "-v" switch and post here all occurrencies with the "AppleBCM5751Ethernet"

Update: this is only a HACK. No warranties then.

And DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU MODIFY!!!

Awesome, works (manual IP and DHCP)

Thank you

now to get video working correctly for core image and quartz extreme and the D830 is 100% for me