Ubuntu v7.04 Feisty Fawn

sev7en

25 posts in this topic

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce version 7.04 of the Ubuntu family of distributions.

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent software installed by default, an incredible variety of add-on software available with a few clicks, and professional technical support from Canonical Limited and hundreds of other companies around the world.

Ubuntu 7.04 is also the basis for new 7.04 releases of Kubuntu and Edubuntu. Ubuntu 7.04 will be supported for 18 months on both desktops and servers. Note that 6.06 LTS is a long-term support release, and so users requiring a longer support lifetime may choose to continue using that version rather than upgrade to or install 7.04.

Download:

More Information: HERE.

I'm new to the Linux scene and so am still getting used to it but can I just ask what changes have been made from the previous release?

There are really a lot of changes since previous release. Look at here: there's a full coverage of any new feature!

OS X/Feisty Dually on PB Alu 15" 1.33GHz. Works well and I do recommend Compiz (enable universe and multiverse repo), over Beryl. Beryl SVN snapshots will be touchy on feisty latest release until they iron out some things.

If you don't mind the wait, Compiz and Beryl are at last merging. Expect good things to come with newer featured window manager and composite manager for Linux.

i got the dvd version that supposedly has "everything" disc loads the menu, but when i click "start and install" it goes to the scrolly bar and stays there forever

stupid computer

i started using it on my ibook after the beta release (previously i used edgy), it's graphic performances are incredible: now i can play quake3 at 1024x768 without problems under linux! :thumbsup_anim:

no doubts about it: best ppc distro ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, Okay, well, I am fairly new, but I need some help. I can't get Ubuntu to do a Dual Boot on my iMac Intel 17", in fact, I can't even get my drive to partition using boot camp. I do like OS X, but I saw some youtube videos for beryl, and i had to have those features. So, any help would be desired very much!!! I have also thought about installing it on another computer, onto my external hard drive, any thoughts on that? I know that my bluetooth mouse and keyboard will not work, until I get the drivers installed on Ubuntu, but I have acess to USB both, so idk what to do exactly. :P

Okay, I actually had seen that, and would love to help, greatly I am sure. Except, my drive is opposed to partioning, Boot Camp hates me, because my mac thinks i want to run windozes on it. GAH!! Okay, I tried rebooting and partioning, and it says "Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned. Use Disk Utitility to repair this disk." So I went into Disk Utility, and it seems to be hunky dory in there. I have started backing up my things onto an external hard drive, so that I might just start anew, but I have some software which I don't want to pay $600-$900 dollars for, like Photoshop, that I fear I would loose. BUT, alas what is this? It states

"Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

%)

Checking Extended Attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

Volume Header needs minor repair

The volume The volume sh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

Volume needs repair"

So then I tell it to repair the disk permissions. And it does them wonderfully, but when we check it again, or verify it, it has some new errors to share with me, a notice pops up saying,

"Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit."

Sigh....

Update! I got it to partion, now onto the USB keyboard and mouse set, hmm... That would be the final key to installing it onto the iMac... Unless someone has an idea of how to get Ubuntu to recognize bluetooth in 30 secs or less.... My dad has one I can use..

I have been using the beta since last year and it works awesome. Even my wireless works. My Sound and my 855 work perfect. Nice

I downloaded mine off azureus, I liked it better then Fedora. Im doing a report on it at school so yah :D

It has it's flaws tho. #1 I installed teamspeak and it locks up and messes the audio hardware up. #2 I have to download mp3 support file in order to play them.

I downloaded mine off azureus, I liked it better then Fedora. Im doing a report on it at school so yah :thumbsup_anim:

better than fedora? well…fedora… :)

It has it's flaws tho. #1 I installed teamspeak and it locks up and messes the audio hardware up.

sorry, never used it…

#2 I have to download mp3 support file in order to play them.

if you want there is mint linux, an ubuntu with all the codecs preinstalled.