Marvell Support Effort

mortis

223 posts in this topic

"Flamemaster" :)

Itsa "Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet controller" - VEN11AB DEV4320

It look like the driver are not working with this chipset.

My question is, what is difference between 8001 and 8053?

Can you post some useful link to compare these two network adapters?

Btw, this is not my machine.

I am just trying to help to other foreign forum members.

thx.

Edit:

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-k8nsc-939 (nforce3 250gb)

Network: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45

If you look at the messages during boot you'll see that the driver asserts after being initialized

StartBMU - bug hit

But this is a binary driver so you would need to disasm the driver to understand what is going wrong .

About the differences this is from the linux kernel

http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/...test-sky2.patch

If you look at the messages during boot you'll see that the driver asserts after being initialized

StartBMU - bug hit

But this is a binary driver so you would need to disasm the driver to understand what is going wrong .

About the differences this is from the linux kernel

http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/...test-sky2.patch

Thank you.

looks like no luck on the marvell yukon?

i have an integrated marvell yukon on an nvidia mobo, has anyone got one like that working?

i wanna get the internet working on it! the other solution is to get my sweex usb wireless working, which ive been trying for the last week without any luck (no intel drivers for that on mac).

grr no internet on mac sucks. :whistle:

halfempty

<user>i915GEV - 8050(0x436111AB) built in Gigabit Ethernet WORKS, but always when it boot appears this error message: "System extension cannot be used: The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it...

<user> If only delete Extensions.mkext before shutdown then the error doesn't appears

<user> when boot again

<user> but is annoying...

<user> And works VERY FAST... incredible... the only problem is that error messagee

88E8001/8003/8010 the onboard nforce3 250 marvel

it's matched with the id 0x432011AB.

This pisses me off , the lan works but i can't connect with my ethernet alcatel speed touch home modem

it tries to connect then the connection times out and the whole os freezes , i'm non sure if it's the card or ppoe is fuxored on 10.4.3

Will the onboard 250Gb be any different? Should it work with your same instructions? And I see that PPPoE will not work, so it will only be a problem for DSL users, correct? If I connect it to my router, that should give me an address via DHCP and work, correct? Maybe you could add a router inbetween and be ok?

Best of luck and thank you very very much for your efforts!!!!

it's more like the driver is for Yukon-88E8053 only and has a bug with the old marvell and we are screwed again

in the plist it says

Apple-Marvell Yukon-2 Gigabit Ethernet Driver

and we are forcing it on the old card. oh well sounds like it's time to buy a cheap realtek card unless someone can disassemble the driver and figure out what goes wrong with the old card

How can I tell if I have the old or new one? I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe with Gigabit Marvell LAN. Would this be on the chip itself? I am not at home, but I can look right at it, if necessary, due to the fact that it is assembled on my desk without a case.

every kext (kernel extension) is essentially a directory thad contains many files within.

unzip the file you downnloaded

then "right-click" on it and select "show package contents".

You should find a new finder window that has a directory called "Contents"

Open that one, ant the open the "Plugins" directory"

Copy the AppleYukon.kext to your Desktop

Now "right-Click" on AppleYukon.kext, and Show Contents

there should be a file called info.plist

edit that file to include your vendor/ID

personally I do it Using the terminal.app, and pico

then in terminal,

sudo chown -R root:wheel /pathto/AppleYukon.kext

try it with sudo ketload -t AppleYukon.kext

if it works, move it inside your IONetworkingFamily kext:

sudo mv -R AppleYukon.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

then delete the kextcache

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.*

and reboot

GIZMO: did you user the -R flag in the chown command?

as in "sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleYukon.kext"

Hey guys ... I'm having a little trouble with the bolded part above.

I found the vendor ID, 11AB and the devide ID 4362, but I don't understand where exactly in the file I should put them. Do I create new keys, or something ?

Thanks a bunch.

Never mind about the above issue, apparently the vendor id was added anyway.

On to my next (possibly stupid) question -

sudo ketload -t AppleYukon.kext

won't work. It doesn't recognize ketload as a command.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks!

Good news everyone ... interestingly enough, it sufficed for me to copy the file manually to the specified location, move it into the IONetworking family, and it worked. No reboot required. Heh now I'm scared to reboot 'cause I'll lose my connection or something :whistle:

Damn, I restarted and it works. I'm so happy :whistle:

Here's my config, if it matters (my sig on some other forum, too lazy to edit it :P):

Opteron 170 @ 2500 | Asus A8N32SliDx | 2048MB OCZ XTC | 80 GB Maxtor (OS X) + 120GB WD (XP) + 300GB Seagate IDE | evga 7800GTX | Sonata | OCZ 520W | LG 4167B | XP and OS X

so i got this installed on my 915gevlk motherboard, it has the marvell 88E8050, i have tried everything on this thread, such as repairing permissions and whatnot, but upon reboot i always get the message:

"System extension cannot be used: The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it..."

if i delete the Extensions.mkext file everytime before i reboot the system it works fine, so i created a shell script to delete the Extensions.mkext file at boot time and have had no problems

you can download my shell script at:

<DMCA Violation>

steps for making it work:

1. unzip

2. copy the entire folder to /System/Library/StartupItems

3. in terminal or console, whatever you prefer:

sudo chown -R root /System/Library/StartupItems/extensions/*

sudo chgrp -R admin /System/Library/StartupItems/extensions/*

4. in disk utility repair permissions

5. delete the Extensions.mkext

6. restart

7. enjoy your internet without having to reinstall or delete files every f*ing time you reboot

8. if for some reason you do not want to use this script anymore, simply delete the extensions folder from StartupItems

hope this helps someone

later

I am trying to follow your instructions exactly.

I did 1-4 (only did the first option in 3, you seem to say that you only need to do one or the other). I tried to do 5, but it says that I do not have permissions to delete the file... maybe that needs to be done before repairing permissions?

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, so who knows if that last part makes any sense?