• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

dtdesign

dtdesign

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
why don't we list out all of the feature we know about x200m.. to make life easiers for Dopefish, Prasys, DiaboliK... help them narrow down problem.. :) maybe we help them out too.. by google around see if we find anything that could be helpful to enable QE/CI support or any information regarding to x200m and posted up..

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I have all that information, thanks. What I need is documentation on the IOAccelerator class. Whenever I get XCode installed, I might - _MIGHT_ - be able to look at it. If it's not in there, though, I will need a lot of help.

prepressman

prepressman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
ok

Prasys

Prasys

Cheese Cheese cheese

• Retired Developers
  • 338 posts
I am working with natit and older OpenGL frameworks

My other step is to fool the OSX that its a X300 card...If we can get all the x200 calls to be like x300 then it will work. we can do a fake 64MB Radeon X300 Mobility Card emulation

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Prasys, I don't think that will work. The architecture of the x200 is fundamentally different from that of the x300 or any other Radeon to date. It will require a totally new memory controller setup in order to get QE/CI, and since ATI has no reason to implement it, it falls to us to do so.

errandwolfe

errandwolfe

Usurper of Wilson, King of Prussia

• Donators
  • 1,429 posts
Sorry to say but dopefish is correct. On the research I have done the x200 and x300 have very different design architectures. The main difference from my understanding is exactly how the onboard memory is addressed. If you need me to I can dig back through my archives to see what I can find for you.

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Alright, first major problem. I don't think XCode comes with the right kernel headers, so right now I have absolutely _zero_ documentation on how to write an accelerator driver. The Darwin source has a basic IOAccelerator class, but it's no help. If someone could, at the very least, give ideas as to how to derive the data I need, I'd be eternally grateful.

dtdesign

dtdesign

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
keep fighting guys, too bad i'm not a coding kind of guy if not i'll help out... hehehe

GP1138

GP1138

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, and VIDEO EDITING/PHOTOJOURNALISM.
Please let this work.. this video chipset is the only reason I am not running OS X on my laptop.

jedavis1

jedavis1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Please let this work.. this video chipset is the only reason I am not running OS X on my laptop.

I wouldn't let that stop you... I have 10.4.8 installed (ppf1 & ppf2 iso) and I installed the callisto driver and got the native resolution working fine. It doesn't have QE enabled, but my basic interface is just as fast as my G5 is... I am not sure what QE enabled would do, but native resolution was what was buggin me... I installed the callisto 003fixed driver and followed the instructions that come with the zip to get it working...

GP1138

GP1138

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, and VIDEO EDITING/PHOTOJOURNALISM.

I wouldn't let that stop you... I have 10.4.8 installed (ppf1 & ppf2 iso) and I installed the callisto driver and got the native resolution working fine. It doesn't have QE enabled, but my basic interface is just as fast as my G5 is... I am not sure what QE enabled would do, but native resolution was what was buggin me... I installed the callisto 003fixed driver and followed the instructions that come with the zip to get it working...

I didn't for a while, but there were some things I wanted that I hated not having, like DVD playback, and a few games. Also, I can't run Adobe Audition in OS X.

OPTiK

OPTiK

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I think there's a DVD with 200M support on demon right now

fireshark

fireshark

Your Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
No.

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Long story short - this project is pretty much dead right now. The only source of information on this subject is the binary blobs that ship with OS X.

errandwolfe

errandwolfe

Usurper of Wilson, King of Prussia

• Donators
  • 1,429 posts
Sad to hear but not surprising. Anyone want to buy an x200 based laptop?

o_OR4N^_^

o_OR4N^_^

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Sad to hear but not surprising. Anyone want to buy an x200 based laptop?

Sad indeed, ive pretty much given up on osx running nice on my compaq... back to SUSE i guess :thumbsup_anim:

anurup

anurup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Long story short - this project is pretty much dead right now. The only source of information on this subject is the binary blobs that ship with OS X.

Hi,

Note a coder, but just have been following this forum with the obvious vested interests - I have an onboard Radeon Xpress 200 for my desktop. Hope someone is still reading...

I am not sure if this information might be useful but Livna has been making ATI (and nVidia) drivers for Linux for a very long time now. Though I am new to Mac OS, I am (more than) proficient with Linux and I know that the source code is distributed from Livna's site. (rpm.livna.org). That might be a way to circumvent the "secrecy" that ATI maintains. For a good programmer, it could mean a lot. To us end users, it could mean a lot too! :-)

I have used their Linux drivers for a couple of years and I get 3D acceleration (which seems to be the QE/CI that you guys keep referring to :-p) on Fedora. At times I have even compiled the drivers from source code using instructions from the website - but mostly they work out of the box. The xorg.conf file needs some tweaking for a new release sometimes...

I know for sure that a very big part of the ATI-Linux community uses these drivers over the propriety ATI drivers.

thedopefishlives : If you want to take a look, you could. :-)

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
It doesn't really matter. Even if these drivers are what you claim them to be, the fact still remains that I have ZERO available documentation on how to make an accelerator driver for OS X. That is a secrecy issue I just can't get around.

El Massman

El Massman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
From what i've read on the forums the x200 is essentially a dedicated memory version of the x300 which uses shared system memory. And the memory addressing is the problem stopping the x200 working where as the x300 doesn't due to it using shared system memory. It's gonna sound stupid but i couldn't find evidence of anyone changing the memory from dedicated to shared system memory, something which i can do with my laptop and should in theory make the x200 basically the same as an x300? Has anyone tried this and would it have any effect at all on using conventional methods to enable QE/CI?

blog

blog

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I believe there are 2 versions of x220. One that is dedicated and one that is shared memory. My laptop is only shared memory. There may be some point to what u are describing but so far nobody has come up with a solution. Many devs have been trying to sort this problem out as a great majority of us have laptops with this x200 chipset inside. There just seems to be no concrete info or documentation around for anyone to work with for implementing the functions of this chipset (as it is unsupported by apple) into OSX.

Many people would even donate $$$ to anyone who would be sucessful but so far there is an absolute dead end facing all of us. The problem is is that everyone who has set their foot into getting this done has given up because the mountain is just to high and the lack of info.

IMO there is always a way for anything to be done (no matter what it is). It just is the matter of how long it will take and how much effort people can devote to whatever it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy